Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Sainsburys

Nana's cookies are great, but you probably got more cookie for your money with the Sainsburys ones.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I really like their Wholewheat Spaghetti and Roasted Vegetables "Be Good To Yourself" ready meal. Labelled vegan and mucho delicious.

Also bought Pecan Pie and Apple Pie Larabars. Nummy.
    vegan and proud.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    ^ noooo! have they got rid of the old ones completely or just changed the recipes? i liked the chocolate chip cookies and shortcake. if they've got rid of them/made them non-vegan i'll be very annoyed (although it'll probably do my waistline a bit of good lol!)
    In the store I visited, they had some of the old stem ginger ones (though I think that I tried them once and wasn't too fussed?) but the chocolate chip cookies and the shortbread had changed- the packaging for the chocolate chip cookies is now the same as the Doves Farm biscuit packaging, and the shortbread has changed to shortbread fingers, both containing egg.
    I've written an email to them and am awaiting reply.
    Going to pop to another branch and see if they have any old recipe ones, and bulk buy them!!!

The Nana's bakery cookies are the best!!
    But no where stocks the best one: Chocolate chip (no refined sugar).
    H&B stock the Chocolate Chip (wheat free) which is pretty good.

Quote Troutina View Post
    the chocolate chip cookies and the shortbread had changed- the packaging for the chocolate chip cookies is now the same as the Doves Farm biscuit packaging, and the shortbread has changed to shortbread fingers, both containing egg.

Quote Troutina View Post
    I've written an email to them and am awaiting reply.
    Going to pop to another branch and see if they have any old recipe ones, and bulk buy them!!!
    i will definitely do the same!!

Quote Troutina View Post
    The Nana's bakery cookies are the best!!
    But no where stocks the best one: Chocolate chip (no refined sugar).
    H&B stock the Chocolate Chip (wheat free) which is pretty good.
    my favourite Nana's cookie is the peanut butter one which i've only ever seen on Veganstore. yum yum.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Troutina View Post
    Sainsbury's have changed all their amazing Free From cookies into eggy cookies
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

The end is nigh
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

They are not sure if they're restocking the Traidcraft Brazil Nut Cookies in the Lewes Rd Branch here.
    ONOES!
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Zero

Interesting, Tesco sell similar Free From cookies if not the same, theres a good chance they are made by the same company I would think, unless Sainsbury's have changed suppliers and Tesco haven't.

I will also write to them about this.

Quote Zero View Post
    Interesting, Tesco sell similar Free From cookies if not the same, theres a good chance they are made by the same company I would think, unless Sainsbury's have changed suppliers and Tesco haven't.

I will also write to them about this.
    I tried the Tesco rainbow cookies but they're super CRUNCHY!
    No more cookies of the old recipe at all in my local branch.
    GRR.

Zero

Quote Troutina View Post
    I tried the Tesco rainbow cookies but they're super CRUNCHY!
    No more cookies of the old recipe at all in my local branch.
    GRR.
    Rainbow cookies?

Quote Zero View Post
    Rainbow cookies?
    Cookies with rainbow smarties on!
    A bit like this:

Though a quick google search came up with these for rainbow cookies, which look amazing!!!

Zero

Quote Troutina View Post
    Cookies with rainbow smarties on!
    A bit like this:

Tesco sell these? I have never seen them, are they in the Free From section too?

^ i've never seen those in Tescos!

Yep in the Free From section!
    I bought them in the Burgess Hill branch.
    They're not bad, you just might lose a tooth eating them.
    But it's the risk you take, being vegan.

Zero

Quote Troutina View Post
    Though a quick google search came up with these for rainbow cookies, which look amazing!!!

Those look cool! I would love to try and make something like that.

Quote Zero View Post
    Those look cool! I would love to try and make something like that.
    Looks quite simple, though I prefer to use food to colour things, not food colourings so I would probably make something more like angel cake.
    Three flat trays of sponge, like a swiss roll recipe.
    Glue it together with jam and melt some dark chocolate on top.
    MMM.

I think you need to invite us all round for tastings when you do...

I was in Sainsbury's today, stocking up on massively cheap plonk to make mulled wine out of (one of the plastic bottles 1.5l French red, for just over a fiver... and one of their 'basics' whites is marked okay, I was pleased to see).

I was in the crisps and snacks section, checking them out, when I was very pleased to see that they'd bought out value-size bags of snacks, including new recipe bacon-crispy things like Frazzles, suitable for vegans! I can't remember the last time I had bacon flavour stuff, but it was a while ago. Mmmm, salty unhealthiness awaits!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

OH MY GOD!! That is such exciting news. Frazzles were in my top 5 list of things I wanted veganised and now my dreams have come true *Races off to Sainsbury* .....

Quote Troutina View Post
    i went looking for any old stock of the vegan cookies but they had none.

Quote twinkle View Post
    new recipe bacon-crispy things like Frazzles, suitable for vegans!
    awesome, those things nearly always have lactose in them! woo!

Quote twinkle View Post
    I was in the crisps and snacks section, checking them out, when I was very pleased to see that they'd bought out value-size bags of snacks, including new recipe bacon-crispy things like Frazzles, suitable for vegans! I can't remember the last time I had bacon flavour stuff, but it was a while ago. Mmmm, salty unhealthiness awaits!
    Which Sainsburys was this please?

One of my favourite items from Sainsburys was their vegetarian chili which used to be marked vegan. It disappeared for a long while, but has recently reappeared. It looks similar, but is now labelled "suitable for vegetarians" (only). I looked through the ingredients, and couldn't spot anything suspicious or overgeneral. That I remember. I'm thinking about this one...

I think Mr Kiplings Winter Warmers fruit pie selection appears to be vegan (and they are 2 for £2 at Sainsburys atm).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Yeah I thought that when I saw some in Tesco, Marrers. Nom.

Quote RossClement View Post
    Which Sainsburys was this please?
    Belgrave. If you go, check out the eggless curry mayo by Cofresh opposite the chilled juice fridges too (if you don't already know about it, or it's not sold out like it was when I went last time).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I'm really annoyed about the cookies, the tesco where I live is the size of a shoe box and has no freefrom section, so I relied on sainsburys.
    I'm gonna complain. lol

All of their naan bread is now not vegan.
    The only one that appears to be ok (but laballed vegetarian) is the low fat naan.

^ oh great what the hell are they doing?!

I haven't been to Sainsbury's for a while, are they doing their value mince pies this year and if so are they still vegan? Apart from various makes of gluten free mince pies, which I'm not too keen on, I haven't seen any ordinary mince pies yet that are suitable for vegans in supermarkets.

Quote Troutina View Post
    All of their naan bread is now not vegan.
    The only one that appears to be ok (but laballed vegetarian) is the low fat naan.
    On the sainsburys online shopping website these are marked as vegan;

Sainsbury's Plain Mini Naan Breads, Be Good To Yourself
    Sainsbury's Plain Naan Large x2
    Sainsbury's Garlic & Coriander Mini Naan x6
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote twinkle View Post
    I haven't managed to get to one of the larger Sainsbury's yet, but dropped into the one in the centre of town. They had "real" Frazzles, and a sainbury's crispy bacon snack. Both had milk in the ingredients. So the new recipe ones you've seen are an example of a non-vegan product becoming vegan. With so many products going the other way, it's good to see a notable exception.

Quote green woman View Post
    I haven't been to Sainsbury's for a while, are they doing their value mince pies this year and if so are they still vegan? Apart from various makes of gluten free mince pies, which I'm not too keen on, I haven't seen any ordinary mince pies yet that are suitable for vegans in supermarkets.
    Yes, they're doing them. And yes, they're still vegan.

Waitrose have some vegan mince pies too green woman (own brand mini ones with cut out pastry stars as lids, £2.99 for 12 but they aren't in stock at all branches).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Paprika just came home from Sainsbobs with interesting new crisps! Snapz Crunchy Carrot Chips with Natural Paprika Flavour (pack of 5 x 20g packs). They are nyummy! Apparently they also do a parsnip variety...

Oooh, just looked them up on interweb - they do wonderful things!

I tried the bacon crispies at the weekend, they were yummy. The smaller bags were the old recipe though so I had to get a big bag and ended up eating them way too quickly!

I also tried those the basic mince pies but didn't like them much.

I don't know about the value ones, but Tesco's regular mince pies (NOT deep fill) seem vegan).

Yes, they're doing them. And yes, they're still vegan.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I don't know about the value ones, but Tesco's regular mince pies (NOT deep fill) seem vegan).
    Thank you both

Thank you both
    Just tonight I found out that the co-op "bakery" (or whatever they call it) puff pastry mince pies are marked "suitable for vegetarians and vegans". However, the "may contain traces of" list is one of the longest I've ever seen. "Crustaceans"? However, I'm not too worried by these "may contain" lists, and bought some and ate them. They're about the diametric opposite of the sainbury's value ones, being expensive and high quality mince pies.

"Crustaceans"? Ewwww!

(green woman I hope you noticed my post about the Waitrose mince pies.)

Buddha Belly

Just found Original Source shaving cremes in my local Sainsbury's.

Buddha Belly

This is showing my nasty addiction now....
    My local one has started doing the Mens shower gel (hair and body) the ginger one is lovely

Sorry I haven't got time to check if this has been posted before, but some of Sainsbury's "be good to yourself" soups are vegan. I've eaten a number of tins of the spiced tomato and lentil soup. Tonight I found "Morroccan inspired chick pea and spinch soup" marked vegan. Not sure what it's like as I haven't tried it yet.

On the other hand the cofresh curried mayonnaise is still out of stock, on about the third visit to Belgrave Sainsbury's after I started looking for it.

Quote twinkle View Post
    I was in Sainsbury's today, stocking up on massively cheap plonk to make mulled wine out of (one of the plastic bottles 1.5l French red, for just over a fiver..
    I've been paying too much! Is it passable when mulled?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote aubergine View Post
    They have been spotted in Locksbottom of all places. Not exactly a hotbed of Vegan purchasing power. Makes you wonder...
    Ah Im a vegan who shops there! We may be the only two

I really like Sainsburys Fairtrade red wine- its labelled vegan and 5 pounds. Very tasty!

Zero

Quote Troutina View Post
    I really like Sainsburys Fairtrade red wine- its labelled vegan and 5 pounds. Very tasty!
    Is that the Sainsbury's Fairtrade Cabernet Sauvignon 2007?

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I've been paying too much! Is it passable when mulled?
    I didn't get round to mulling it

this is the reply i got to my complaint about them adding egg to their FreeFrom cookies:

Thank you for your email. I am sorry you are no longer able to eat our Freefrom biscuits because they now contain egg. I can appreciate your disappointment and understand you would like to know why we have made the change.

We want our customers to be completely happy with everything they buy from us so we set very high standards. I have checked with our product developers who said that egg has been added into the recipe to improve the flavour and texture of the cookies. This makes them less crumbly and they are now crunchier, like cookies are expected to be.

I have passed your comments to our product development team. We really value our customers’ feedback, as it allows us to improve our products in the areas that matter to you. While I am disappointed you do not like the change, I am grateful that you have taken the time to let us know your opinion. We will continue to monitor customer feedback on this range of biscuits.

Thank you again for taking the time to write. We are committed to selling high quality products and making Sainsbury’s the first choice for food shopping.

THE COOKIES WERE ALWAYS TOO CRUNCHY?!!?

At least you got a reply... more than I got!

It is undeniable that the shortbread cookies fell to pieces if you as much as looked at them. So unlike some times when products became non-vegan for no apparent reason, at least this time the excuse sounds plausible.

It is undeniable that the shortbread cookies fell to pieces if you as much as looked at them. So unlike some times when products became non-vegan for no apparent reason, at least this time the excuse sounds plausible.
    Ok yes maybe the shortbread was a little weedy... but the cookies were fine!