Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

leedsveg

Default Re: Sainsbury's

Quote Troutina View Post
    I wish they could put that in the allergen list, but I guess no one is actually allergic to honey...?
    I find honey the easiest non-vegan item to overlook when there there is a long list of ingredients. As you say Troutina, it doesn't get put with the allergens. It just sort of sits there amongst the other ingredients trying to look all inconspicuous and innocent.

lv

oh im sure i have fallen foul of the new label change

Quote pusskins View Post
    Oh my! I'm sorry to hear that, Troutina. Was there not even a label saying "New and improved" or something like that on the packaging?

Got an email back from Sainsbury's, saying they need to "investigate (my) query a little further". Well! Hopefully hear from them soon.
    Yeah it does say New 'Improved' Recipe but we just didn't notice it when we were shopping.

Aye, I got caught out recently too Super gutting stuff!

I didn't warn anyone in case I had just been really dense in the past and missed it as an ingredient
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

If anyone's lookimg for a replacement Waitrose sell a tasty Moroccan style houmous,

Here's an email reply to my complaint about the new labelling:

Dear *****

Thanks for your email. I'm sorry that you've lost confidence in our labelling of vegan products. I understand your disappointment especially as you've been full of praise for us in the past.
    I'm happy to tell you that our change will make it even easier for people to select food that's suitable for vegans. The V symbol is now for vegetarians and for vegans it's the same V but has the words and vegans in the circle as well. This removes any ambiguity whatsoever. Our Taste the Difference products are the first to undergo this exciting new move with other products following suit as they go through the redesign process. Rest assured we're committed to our vegan customers.
    I trust that you find this information useful and that you can shop with us with confidence.

Kind regards
    Neil Ditchfield
    Customer Manager
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Not real name!

I've long wondered why Sainsbury's meat free mince isn't labelled as vegan when the ingredients would suggest that it is. I emailed them and this is their reply:

Quote Sainsburys
    Dear 'Glen'

Thanks for your email.

I've checked with our suppliers and the reason this isn't suitable for vegans is that there's a cross contamination risk with egg white powder which is used in their factory.

I trust that you find this information useful.

Kind regards

Neil Ditchfield
    Customer Manager
    Hmmm...... so there is a risk of cross-contamination. Personally that says vegan to me. YMMV.

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    Hmmm...... so there is a risk of cross-contamination. Personally that says vegan to me. YMMV.
    I agree - any manufactured product has a cross-contamination risk unless it's made in a 100% vegan factory. I know manufacturers and retailers are worried about getting sued by people with allergies but you'd think they could come up with a label like "vegan ingredients - risk of cross-contamination" to cover their @rses, then we could decide for ourselves whether the products are vegan enough.

My Sainsbury's has now got the basic mince pies in (yes I know it's now Feb), and they are no longer labeled vegan. They have now added whey powder to the ingredients!

it's a continuous problem. The legal guidelines that now exist and those from the vegan society say that even when cross contamination is possible products may still be vegan and labelled accordingly provided that cross contamination potential is labelled accordingly. Meanwhile there is so much out there that is suitable and no labelled because of over zealous labeling by supermarkets (we all remember the westons cider fiasco). Costa hot chocolate when made with soya milk is fine provided you don't have the top chocolate sprinkles on top but because the hot chocolate powder is produced in the same factory as milk products costa state that it is not suitable for vegans. (this is aside from their monkey advertising related issues of course).
    Sainsbury's though do seem to be particularly restrictive when it comes to vegan labeling. The new symbol actually makes things more difficult for myself as it involves reading (due to learning difficulties this is not always the easiest thing in the world).
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Wow! Just one fresh soup = minestrone. How imaginative.

Also thanks to them for pointing out that red meat, fish, eggs, milk ie the full-cruelty range, are important sources of blah, blah. blah and the vegan, alternative sources are nowhere near as rich in blah, blah, blah.

lv
    There's vegetable dhansak soup on the lastest list - http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdon...stJuly2011.pdf

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the Spanish organic olive oil is about the cheapest olive oil I've seen in Sainsbury's, at 35p per 100ml as opposed to about 38p for the non organic. I hope it's nice as I got two bottles
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the Spanish organic olive oil is about the cheapest olive oil I've seen in Sainsbury's, at 35p per 100ml as opposed to about 38p for the non organic. I hope it's nice as I got two bottles
    Just check they haven't added fish oil to this one as well

^ beat me to it Silly sods.

It's marked vegetarian and vegan, so hopefully I'm safe!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Yeah I think its this one that is the problem

When I went to Sainsburys this morning it they had a new own brand range of veggie meat substitutes called 'Love Soya' which I hadn't seen before. Sadly most of them seem to contain egg but the soya mince looked okay for vegans. I can't find much info about it on the website, perhaps its so new they haven't got all the info up.

Original Source showergels @ £0.90 in my local Sainsbobs this evening. Assume it is nationwide? I was trying to work out when the offer expired from the little tag thing (mine are pretty bad at 'accidentally?' letting the offers lapse), but couldn't get my head around it.

Anyway, some new flavours if it is still on - including one that looks like Polyfilla. Mmmm, manly.

Not real name!

I saw the Love Soya stuff today. Most seemed to contain egg or milk. Rubbish.

saw in sainsbury's yesterday just roll pain au chocolat (like the croissants in the refrigerators that you bake yourself) on an introductory offer..about £1.30 something. looked at the ingredients and they seemed vegan enough!

CuddlyChicken

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Snap Crackle and Popsicles!

Have yet to try any of the Jus-Rol stuff. Nice one...

Quote CuddlyChicken View Post
    Do you mean these?

On their website is says:

Means I'll be raiding Sainsbury's tomorrow
    that's the one! don't know about how much cheaper the introductory offer is to the normal price but if it's cheaper, it's worth it!

CuddlyChicken

Quote CuddlyChicken View Post
    All I can say is omnomnomnom
    That must make conversation very difficult.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

CuddlyChicken

Quote veganosie View Post
    saw in sainsbury's yesterday just roll pain au chocolat (like the croissants in the refrigerators that you bake yourself) on an introductory offer..about £1.30 something. looked at the ingredients and they seemed vegan enough!
    Are they in the refrigerators or in the freezers? I couldn't find any yesterday, and my Sainsbury's is pretty big. Woe is me!

the refrigerators, next to the butter and margarine! tesco do them as well!

CuddlyChicken

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.

I've been buying the pain au chocolat over the last few weeks and I must admit we've got a bit addicted. I went back last week and they don't have them. Maybe I was the only person buying them.

Quote veganosie View Post
    the refrigerators, next to the butter and margarine! tesco do them as well!
    Alas, they're not there. They obviously don't care about Scotland.

did anyone notice the salad cream from sainsburys is no longer vegan ? i did so i sent them a message on facebook and it took him a week to reply and i got a crappy reply saying they changed the recipe using more what they like to call cupboard ingedients instead of artificial additives so they have now put egg in it

Asda's reduced fat is still vegan, but the Vegan Society are trying to get Sainsburys to change back

yeah i have the asda one but prefered sainsburys thats good that they are trying to get them to change it back when i asked he didnt seem interested but i gues im only one person

Hmm, double post. Sorry.

Found this hazelnut-chocolate spread while looking for something else. Seems only Sainsbury's sell it at the moment out of the big supermarkets. Quite nice stuff, my mum said she preferred it to Nutella.

Quote twinkle View Post
    Found this hazelnut-chocolate spread while looking for something else. Seems only Sainsbury's sell it at the moment out of the big supermarkets. Quite nice stuff, my mum said she preferred it to Nutella.
    Is that the Anthony Worrel? our link just took me to the home page. Wow ..... chocolate spread ...... off I run to see if I still have any of my larger jeans left

It is. Sorry the link didn't work. The best thing about this spread is it goes hard in the fridge and then you can dig out clumps with a teaspoon and eat them like truffles

Not real name!

If you click the link twice, the second attempt takes you to the correct page. Well, it does for me. YMMV.

Has anybody tried Sainsbury's Bread sauce mix? Is it any good? I usually follow Delia's recipe at Christmas (Substituting where necessary obviously) but if this is good I might use this instead.

Has anyone seen the new labelling? Surprisingly accurate!

I saw the Love Soya stuff today. Most seemed to contain egg or milk. Rubbish.
    They have boxes of frozen herb and black pepper sausages which are labelled vegan. They are in the 2 for £3 offer too!

Not real name!

Quote bignige View Post
    They have boxes of frozen herb and black pepper sausages which are labelled vegan. They are in the 2 for £3 offer too!
    Oh. My. Dog. They sound right up my street. Are they in the Love Soya range? I've not seen them in either of my three local stores.

Oh. My. Dog. They sound right up my street. Are they in the Love Soya range? I've not seen them in either of my three local stores.
    Yup, love soya range. They also had mini sausage rolls, but not sure if it said vegan on label. The sausage themselves are pretty nice - possibly better cold in a sandwich.

Not real name!

Quote bignige View Post
    My local store now has these. They are delicious.

Does anyone know if Sainsburys reduced salt yeast extract is Vegan, I bought it assuming it would be but it doesn't even say vegetarian on the label and its not on their vegan list?

I got an email confirming it is, cant see why its not on their Vegan list then.

Has anyone tried either the Paiarrop Fig and Almond Wedge or Date and Walnut Wedge they are both Vegan, but at £3.25 each I didn't want to buy them until I knew they were nice

Been to Sainsburys today and found what could potentially be Vegan Iced mince pies

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Been to Sainsburys today and found what could potentially be Vegan Iced mince pies
    Yeeees, maybe. Does it say suitable for vegetarians on the packet anywhere? It would be stupid marketing and recipe devising to miss the meat free market but I didn't see that on the website info (hopefully I wasn't seeing something that is blatently obvious) and I'd worry about the glycerine.

Otherwise, wow! Iced mince pies that would be guaranteed not to be taken by the youngsters - anything that says gluten free or organic on the packet gets left well alone. Well spotted Firestorm.