Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Zero

Default Re: Sainsburys

I also sent a note to Sainsbury's about the cookies not being vegan anymore and got this:

"Thank you for contacting us. I understand you are disappointed that our Freefrom cookies are not suitable for vegans and I am sorry we have disappointed you. I appreciate you feel we could remove the egg to make them available to more of our customers.

We aim to provide a selection of products that are suitable for our customers with special diets. Our policy is to label all products which are suitable for vegans as suitable for vegetarians and vegans, using the Sainsbury's vegetarian and vegan logo.

I realise you feel we could do more in providing items for our vegan customers. I have therefore passed your comments to our buyers and suppliers for them to take any necessary action.

There are many items in our freefrom range. We have put together a list of these products on our website for our customers. Please go to www.sainsburys.co.uk/food then click on food and wine, then on special diets in the healthy lifestyle section. I hope you will find some new products you wish to try.

Thank you once again for your email. We are always grateful to receive feedback from our customers and your comments are valuable to us.

Kind regards"

Those choc chip cookies were tooth chippers! Any harder and they could be used for other purposes:

Paper weights
    Door stoppers
    Rockery stones
    Etc

I was really annoyed that they are only veggie now... think I'll join you in complaining

i agree that the shortbread was very crumbly, it always ended up a bit crushed by the time i got it home; but the chocolate chip ones were very nice and crunchy.

Tesco still have FreeFrom vegan shortbread and choc chip cookies

good to see you got a reply too Zero, and it's not just a standard reply as it's worded differently to mine. i'm a little confused about their website though because i can't see a list of vegan products, just a link to vegan recipes.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post

Tesco still have FreeFrom vegan shortbread and choc chip cookies
    Are these deffo vegan!
    I was looking at the shortbread today and couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it. The cookies are pretty good, but much more crunchy than the Sainsbury's ones.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Are these deffo vegan!
    i'm pretty sure they are!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

May not quite be following what you've been saying... but i was just looking on Sainsbury's website to plan my weeks shopping and i noticed that in most products on the website they have an ingredients list. It warns you to double check the packaging. But i thought how handy it was to cut down a little on list reading in store, when your in a bit of a rush.

Quote Est View Post
    Those choc chip cookies were tooth chippers! Any harder and they could be used for other purposes:

Paper weights
    Door stoppers
    Rockery stones
    Etc

I was really annoyed that they are only veggie now... think I'll join you in complaining
    cookies should be crunchy/ crumbly not orribly goowey and soft

are the tesco vegan ones crunchy, crumbly?
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I like both types of cookie - crunchie and gooey!

The Sainsburys ones practically needed a toffee hammer though

Not sure about the Tesco ones, but I'll be buying them in future so will soon find out. Anyone else know what they are like?

They do Doves Farm Orange and Hazelnut Gluten-free Cookies in Lewes Rd Brighton.
    Amazing when fresh.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Just noticed that Sainsbury's website has a 'Vegetarian and Vegan Product Guide'

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdonl...an_06_2008.pdf

Unfortuantly it expired Dec 2008. I contacted them to find out if there going to update it, i'll let you guys know if they answer me

Quote bradders View Post
    cookies should be crunchy/ crumbly not orribly goowey and soft

are the tesco vegan ones crunchy, crumbly?
    The Tesco Free From cookies are really crunchy. They have desiccated coconut in and it gives a lovely flavour. I personally love them!

Is that just listing the products they already mark vegan on the packaging? I'm not sure.

Quote veganprincess View Post
    Just noticed that Sainsbury's website has a 'Vegetarian and Vegan Product Guide'

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdonl...an_06_2008.pdf

Unfortuantly it expired Dec 2008. I contacted them to find out if there going to update it, i'll let you guys know if they answer me

Alpro soya milk all flavours is on offer at sainsburys at the moment if that is any help to anyone

I know! £1 each. Lovely stuff.

Linda McCartney Sausage Rolls and some of their other things are half price at the moment. The sausage rolls are only 67p right now.

Quote satsuma View Post
    Alpro soya milk all flavours is on offer at sainsburys at the moment if that is any help to anyone

Quote shesbenevolent View Post
    Is that just listing the products they already mark vegan on the packaging? I'm not sure.
    well IMO sainsbury's are rubbish at labelling products as vegan on the packaging. So i guess its essentially a backup list.

Anywhich way they replied to me and said that they were going to update it but couldn't give me a timeframe. V helpful, not.

cxmnz

Sainsbury's used to be pretty impressive with their vegan labelling, the fact that one of the biggest supermarkets in the country was labelling which products were suitable for vegans (albeit in a slightly half arsed kind of way) was mindblowing to me at the time.

They have certainly slipped lately, and even things that were previously labelled as vegan, and still have the same ingredients are now not even labelled as suitable for vegetarians.

However, I did go in to Sainsbury's today (I tend to do an annual trip to get the few bits and pieces I can't get from my local shops and hate myself for about an hour after) and discovered that their crumpets are vegan - quite what's in them is anyone's guess, but it's vegan and they're oh so tasty - I haven't had a crumpet for years. I now have 24 18 to get through by Thursday since I had planned on freezing some, but my freezer seems to be more of a noisy fridge than anything.

Anyway, the reason for my rambling post was to recommend a wine. They do a few around the £3 mark that are suitable for vegans, but one that's really worth checking out is a rosé for £3.49. Had it a few times now and it's a bit nice - my brother-in-law is a wine-y type and even he rates it too.

Default Sainsbury's

Hi, I just got a copy of the Animal Free Shopper eighth edition and I see quite a few items have been removed from the Sainsbury's list since the seventh edition. Are these all now non-vegan or is it just due to the risk of contamination?

Quote cxmnz View Post
    ...discovered that their crumpets are vegan - quite what's in them is anyone's guess, but it's vegan and they're oh so tasty ....
    Crumpets are generally made with a thinned down bread dough (at least, that's how I've made them), so there's no reason they wouldn't be vegan unless companies try to luxuryfy them by adding butter. I think the Sainsbury's ones are basically flour, water, yeast, salt, flour improvement agent and maybe some kind of texture improver. Don't think there's much else. Oh, and they're selling them 15 for the price of 12 at the moment

I noticed Sainsbury's are now doing a Basics veggie burger suitable for vegans last time I was shopping there (Oadby branch stock them, for any interested locals). However, I'm having one as part of my lunch and they are pleasant enough texture but incredibly bland. Would probably make good hangover food in a sarnie with some brown sauce
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Sainsbury's

We got some of those burgers, mostly mashed potato in breadcrumbs with a few bits of veg by the looks of it. I didn't actually get to try one before they all got eaten.

They looked like a cheap version of the ones that Bird's Eye make.

I thought they might make a nice double decker burger with a nut cutlet or bean burger, with salad and sauce in a bun.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

I noticed Sainsbury's are now doing a Basics veggie burger suitable for vegans last time I was shopping there (Oadby branch stock them, for any interested locals). However, I'm having one as part of my lunch and they are pleasant enough texture but incredibly bland. Would probably make good hangover food in a sarnie with some brown sauce [/quote]

I bought a pack of these during the week. Was going to make then for dinner tonight in Bagels. Dalepak do a vegan veggie burger that is quite nice. I buy and keep them in the freezer for busy days and I'm to tired to cook.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Quote twinkle View Post
    I noticed Sainsbury's are now doing a Basics veggie burger suitable for vegans last time I was shopping there (Oadby branch stock them, for any interested locals). However, I'm having one as part of my lunch and they are pleasant enough texture but incredibly bland. Would probably make good hangover food in a sarnie with some brown sauce
    Very interesting, I'll give them a go. Maybe I can get a needle and inject soy sauce into them or something. More seriously, they might be a suitable base for marinades.

We've been eating "Vegetarian Choice" protein burgers. If you have a GNC, card, they come to 79p for a four burger pack. Bit thin though. Best to put two of them into a burger.

Quote 1gentlemaorispirit View Post
    I bought a pack of these during the week. Was going to make then for dinner tonight in Bagels. Dalepak do a vegan veggie burger that is quite nice. I buy and keep them in the freezer for busy days and I'm to tired to cook.
    Have you seen this?

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarch...08/oct/dalepak

Dalepak Foods has recalled three varieties of frozen spicy bean burger due to the presence of lectin in under processed kidney beans. Lectin is a natural toxin present in uncooked kidney beans, which can cause stomach aches and vomiting.
    Tinned kidney beans are already cooked, and therefore OK aren't they? It's just that my dinner was mashed red kidney beans in puff pastry pasties.

Quote RossClement View Post
    ... they might be a suitable base for marinades.

Very unlikely, as they are basically mashed potato with a few other veg and a breadcrumb coating. I think if you marinaded them they'd probably fall apart!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote twinkle View Post

We had them last night and weren't that impressed. They are very bland and greasy, so my OH smothered his in brown sauce. Well there were £1.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Quote twinkle View Post
    Very unlikely, as they are basically mashed potato with a few other veg and a breadcrumb coating. I think if you marinaded them they'd probably fall apart!
    Ah. I was thinking they would be a "meat-style" burger. Thanks for telling me so quickly as I was planning to cycle over to Sainbury's in Belgrave. We've been on a bit of a "cheeseburger" kick recently, as the rest of my family are all lolcatz fanatics. We use Co-op burger buns, tofutti "cheese", and vegetarian's choice burgers.

Mashed potato and veg burgers are less interesting, as they are easy to make. I'm sure I made sort of rissole things from finely grated potato once upon a time, but have forgotten how I did it.

tbh, if you look at the £ per 100g, they end up costing more than some of the other burgers, being so small.

p.s. Waitrose's veggie burger is quite nice - bout £1.99 for 4.

I never knew Waitrose did a vegan veggie burger? Must investigate!

Ive been getting those veggie choice ones not seen the Sainsburys ones.

I should start making burgers having brought a burger press from Lakeland about 2 years ago Ive used it once

cxmnz

Quote twinkle View Post
    Crumpets are generally made with a thinned down bread dough (at least, that's how I've made them), so there's no reason they wouldn't be vegan unless companies try to luxuryfy them by adding butter. I think the Sainsbury's ones are basically flour, water, yeast, salt, flour improvement agent and maybe some kind of texture improver. Don't think there's much else. Oh, and they're selling them 15 for the price of 12 at the moment
    That makes a lot of sense. My crumpets didn't last long, I think those combined with the giant box of chocolate I got given may be why I got so spotty in January!

Alas, I have used up all my buying from supermarket credits for the year now, so I'll have to miss out on those extra 3 crumpets now.

Buddha Belly

Have found my local Sainsbury's sell original source anti-perspirant. It is a vast improvement on rock salt
    Last edited by Buddha Belly; Apr 25th, 2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Ooops

Quote Zoe View Post
    Hi, I just got a copy of the Animal Free Shopper eighth edition and I see quite a few items have been removed from the Sainsbury's list since the seventh edition. Are these all now non-vegan or is it just due to the risk of contamination?
    Sainsburys have removed a lot of their labels because of contamination risks. Their vegetable spring rolls aren't even labelled as vegetarian now because they are made on the same line as the prawn ones...

Quote Rakey View Post
    Sainsburys have removed a lot of their labels because of contamination risks. Their vegetable spring rolls aren't even labelled as vegetarian now because they are made on the same line as the prawn ones...
    omg! on the same as the prawn ones? but it´s good they´re so straight with their labelling.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Quote Elahiya View Post
    omg! on the same as the prawn ones? but it´s good they´re so straight with their labelling.
    Yeah i agree - i'd rather that then just seeing a bold as brass "vegan" label on the front but a minuscule "produced on a line with milk and meat" on the back.. etc

As much as i loathe sainsbury's they have really gone up in my estimations for their clear and concise 'Vegan' labelling; it's refreshing to not have to squint at the ingredients list to know what's right and what's not. This includes their sweet line... *wipes sugar from fizzy sour carpets from around mouth*
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

Demon

I have to disagree - I think it's a backward step.

I am happy to eat stuff even when there is a contamination risk as i. avoiding it won't save any animals and ii. it makes veganism more accessible for potential new recruits if more product are labelled vegan.

At least with the vegan label and the contamination risk list, you can make an informed choice.

Now, I will have to read all the ingredients and still won't know whether it's vegan if it contains stuff which may or may not be animal derived including the 53 E-Number listed by the Vegan Society.

My friend invited me round for tea and yum yums today but sadly I was too busy to go - said they came from Sainsburys so I presume they must be marked vegan!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

*live*&*let*live

Has anyone tried GoodLife nut cutlets? Bought them in Sainsbury's, they are nice with a distinct chewy texture in places, think it's the nuts or hard beans . I think they were about £2-2.50 for four. Shaped like burgers not cutlets and they are Fair Trade too. If anyone has tried them, what do you think? :smile:

I love them with a roast dinner, or just with some veg. Also good cold for lunch in an emergency.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    My friend invited me round for tea and yum yums today but sadly I was too busy to go - said they came from Sainsburys so I presume they must be marked vegan!
    I've never seen vegan yum yums before, sounds surprising but exciting! I'll try and check today.

*waits in suspense*

I'm totally going to Sainsburys tonight if they are.

Slightly skeptical thou.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

damn! totally forgot to check was I was kinda in a rush! just tried checking online and the labels are too small (cant enlarge) but theres 3 kinds, one of which has a toffee filling...

*looks forward to update*

Not shown in the product guide though
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdonl...ineversion.pdf

Update yay Twitter feed if you find them, so I know to make a diversion on the way home Better still, buy me some extra and send a bike messenger with them.
    Last edited by Ms_Derious; Jul 21st, 2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Updated for clarity :)
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

interesting that there is no legal definition of 'vegan'. You would think that is something the vegan society would push for.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Regarding their current vegan list. I spotted that it had egg lasagne on it, which is not very reassuring. Their response to my email about it was:

"Egg lasagne, egg pappardelle and egg tagliatelle are not suitable for vegans, including these
    products in our Vegan list is indeed an error. This will be amended immediately and steps will
    be taken to make sure this never happens again.

We have a policy of open and honest labelling which meets the requirements of UK legislation. I can assure you that all labelling on vegan suitable products is correct."

At least they took it seriously.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Has anyone tried GoodLife nut cutlets? Bought them in Sainsbury's, they are nice with a distinct chewy texture in places, think it's the nuts or hard beans . I think they were about £2-2.50 for four. Shaped like burgers not cutlets and they are Fair Trade too. If anyone has tried them, what do you think? :smile:
    I love them - they're great in a burger bun with lettuce and thick sliced beef tomato

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    i tried to post this yesterday but couldn't get the forum to work. i've been buying these nut cutlets for ages but they've recently changed them to add whole peanuts, i preferred them before when they had a more uniform texture and no large hard bits. they're still nice though, i have them covered in gravy with roast dinners too.

No, the yum yums aren't vegan. I went in today. Egg and milk, so a total vegan fail there.

Darn, I'll just have to make myself something yummy instead.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

*live*&*let*live

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i tried to post this yesterday but couldn't get the forum to work. i've been buying these nut cutlets for ages but they've recently changed them to add whole peanuts, i preferred them before when they had a more uniform texture and no large hard bits. they're still nice though, i have them covered in gravy with roast dinners too.
    Oh right, so that's what the little buggers are! They don't taste like peanuts!
    Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    No, the yum yums aren't vegan. I went in today. Egg and milk, so a total vegan fail there.

Darn, I'll just have to make myself something yummy instead.
    What's a yum yum? when it was mentioned by Marrers 'vegan yum yums' I just thought she meant vegan yummy food
    eehhh and I've just got used to nom nom too!

I was wondering what a yum yum is too. My Google-fu appears to have failed me .

"Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

ouch
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

That's odd about the yumyums as my friend who bought them has been vegan for 20 years. I will investigate further! (They are sort of gooey iced doughnut type things I think - never had one myself as they weren't around in my pre-vegan days.)