Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Sainsburys

I usually read the packets of everything anyway. Sometimes something might be vegan but seems to have SO much other mysterious crap in it that it puts me right off Tasting The Difference.

Can anybody confirm whether Ecover is alright to still use? I read about a new range recently by some other company that seemed to fit right in with both environmental and vegan stances... Couldn't find it when I looked, I'll try and remember what it was

Quote humansituation
    Can anybody confirm whether Ecover is alright to still use?
    Have a look at this thread humansituation.

Thank you Flutterby

How depressing

if you want vegan and eco, try Bio-D.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i saw a notice in my local Sainsburys once saying they'd had to recall a load of cheese sandwiches because they'd been marked as vegan.
    Oh thanks for that gave me a much needed chuckle!
    What you tolerate, you encourage.

1000 nectar points, yes please!!!!

Smile Re: Sainsburys

gah, my local sainsburys has managed to annoy me so much i don't shop there any more!

they removed their own brand and cauldron falafel, and have replaced it with cauldron falafel with honey in. They have also stopped stocking the spicy bean burgers and sweedish glace... and various other quick to cook things that are vegan.

i'll get my nectar points from BP instead

My local Sainsburys is getting worse - there is now the non-meat section, which consists of Quorn burgers, Quorn sausages, Quorn fillets, Quorn slices, etc etc. Nothing but Quorn and some sorry looking Cauldron tofu. The tofu is the only item left suitable for vegans! There used to be so much more!

Incidentally, the dark choc selection box in the gold box, is a) vegan according to their customer care line, and b) actually the same chocolates as Asda currently sell in a differently shaped box but cheaper! Not very nice unless you like dark choc though.

I went into the new Sainsburys in Brighton for the first time the other day and was shocked to find only quorn products, apart from one (non-vegan) item from the 'not just for vegetarians . . .' range, which was the cumberland pie. Did they start with a full range and reduce it due to lack of demand I wonder? Maybe all the veggies and vegans in Brighton shop elsewhere.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

it seems odd, because the falafel (before they changed it) was always sold out, which annoyed me because it's my favourite same with the bean burgers? i think they randomly pick products not to stock anymore!

EllaGuru

Quote Marrers View Post
    I went into the new Sainsburys in Brighton for the first time the other day and was shocked to find only quorn products, apart from one (non-vegan) item from the 'not just for vegetarians . . .' range, which was the cumberland pie. Did they start with a full range and reduce it due to lack of demand I wonder? Maybe all the veggies and vegans in Brighton shop elsewhere.
    The problem isn't confined to Sainsbury's or Brighton. I've found that the vegan range of sausages and burgers etc in supermarkets is getting much worse and is virtually non-existant in most cases. Quorn is taking over the vegetarian sections it seems. In the main I have to go to healthfood shops to get what I want now.

I know what you mean EllaGuru but it is especially odd in Sainsburys because they do have their own brand 'Designed not just for vegetarians...' range - good non quorn veggie ready meals (not enough of them suitable for vegans but that's another issue). I just don't know why they aren't stocked in more branches. If you see them at all it is usually only one or two dishes which are stocked.
    April 12, 2007
    Delicious Dishes Designed Not Just For Vegetarians
    Following fantastic feedback and soaring sales, Sainsbury's has added twelve tasty new lines to its Designed Not Just For Vegetarians range.
    This new range of ready meals was initially introduced in September last year (2006) with an array of appetising and adventurous combinations such as a Malaysian Curry with Noodles and the British classic Cumberland Pie.
    Since then the meals have proved such a hit with vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, that even more meals have been developed to satisfy the demand. And, with National Vegetarian Week coming up in May there's never been a better time to delve into these delicious vegetarian dishes.
    As vegetarians can often lack protein in their diets, these meals have been thoughtfully developed to contain protein through the inclusion of pulses and grains, plus each meal has at least one portion of your daily-recommended intake of vegetables.
    Highlights from the new meals include:

Designed Not Just For Vegetarians Vegetable Paella
    A perfect summer dish, this meal combines paella style rice with roasted courgette, red onions, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, baby corn, peas and green beans, all topped with a roast garlic butter.

Designed Not Just For Vegetarians Butternut Squash and Goats Cheese Lasagne
    This hearty, mouth-watering dish is made with layers of fresh lasagne pasta filled with roasted red onion, butternut squash, spinach and leeks in a creamy goats cheese and tomato sauce.

Designed Not Just For Vegetarians Vintage Cheddar & Leek Burgers
    A great way to cater for vegetarian guests at summer barbecues, these brilliant burgers are full of flavour thanks to the partnership of vintage cheddar cheese and roasted leeks with potato.

Designed Not Just For Vegetarians Moroccan Style Vegetable Tagine
    Add some spice to your summer with the subtle blend of aromatic herbs and spices in this Moroccan inspired dish. It features fresh chunky vegetables, served with a lightly spiced fruity sultana and spring onion cous cous.

Designed Not Just For Vegetarians Vegetable Teriyaki
    A twist on traditional teriyaki, this vegetarian dish combines carrots, broccoli florets, pak choi, green peppers and sugar snap peas, served with non-egg noodles in a teriyaki style sauce

Designed Not Just For Vegetarians Vegetable Bulgar Wheat Pilaff
    A flavoursome dish of bulgar wheat mixed with broccoli florets, roasted carrot, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, spinach, roasted red onion, roasted red & yellow peppers and broad beans
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

EllaGuru

Quote Marrers View Post
    I know what you mean EllaGuru but it is especially odd in Sainsburys because they do have their own brand 'Designed not just for vegetarians...' range - good non quorn veggie ready meals (not enough of them suitable for vegans but that's another issue). I just don't know why they aren't stocked in more branches. If you see them at all it is usually only one or two dishes which are stocked.
    I haven't seen this range, but I may not have looked in the right place as I don't ususally buy ready meals, just frozen burgers and the like. I'll have a look the next time I go there, they sound as though they might be worth a try.

Has any one else noticed that Sainsbury has stopped stocking Realeat Vegemince? Both the large store near where I live and the fairly large store where I work have had none in for over a month. My nearest Tesco stopped stocking it about 6 months ago. Its so frustrating!

ASDA do an own brand version - can't remember if they still stock the realeat one.

Used to be able to get realeat chicken style pieces in supermarkets, too, but that stopped a while back.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Waitrose do Realeat. In fact we'd rather shop at Waitrose these days because they have such a wide range of vegan food.
    Silent but deadly :p

no waitrose in london i've ever been to stock realeat, Hemlock. Their vegan foods are poor.

Beckenham Waitrose is good, but that's on the outskirts.

Quorn has a major advertising campaign on tv and in print at this time of year - every year without fail. Got to grab those yoyo dieters and what better time than the month after the New Year.

The supermarkets (not ones to miss a trick) therefor push out all of the other "alternative" foods rather than make more space in their fridges just to satisfy the new Quorn faddists. Let's face it, it would be horrid if they had to give up space for the three pigs worth of bacon they usually have room for.

I'll have to buy it in Holland and Barratt from now on but it costs more in there than in the supermarkets

JC

On writing to sainsburys to request a list of vegan foods...

''Our policy is to label all products that are suitable for vegans, as suitable for vegetarians and vegans, using the Sainsbury's vegetarian and vegan logo. The only exceptions are those products that are obviously vegan and where our customers have indicated that labelling is unnecessary. Examples include plain waters, unseasoned flours, plain fruit and vegetables.

Please be aware that the vegan logo may appear in different places on the packaging depending on the size and shape of the product and any other information that needs to be displayed. We are working to ensure all our suppliers comply with our policy so that customers can have confidence in the labelling of our products.''

So does that mean that things like basics beans, which aren't labelled as vegan, aren't vegan?!

Quote JC View Post
    On writing to sainsburys to request a list of vegan foods...

''Our policy is to label all products that are suitable for vegans, as suitable for vegetarians and vegans, using the Sainsbury's vegetarian and vegan logo. The only exceptions are those products that are obviously vegan and where our customers have indicated that labelling is unnecessary. Examples include plain waters, unseasoned flours, plain fruit and vegetables.

Please be aware that the vegan logo may appear in different places on the packaging depending on the size and shape of the product and any other information that needs to be displayed. We are working to ensure all our suppliers comply with our policy so that customers can have confidence in the labelling of our products.''

So does that mean that things like basics beans, which aren't labelled as vegan, aren't vegan?!
    I have a Sainsbury's bottle of water in front of me labelled as 'vegan'.

Quote Linxie View Post
    Has any one else noticed that Sainsbury has stopped stocking Realeat Vegemince?
    they do their own brand of mince, don't know if it's vegan though.

Quote Pob View Post
    ASDA do an own brand version - can't remember if they still stock the realeat one.

yes, they do. i've never liked the realeat mince, i find it goes too soggy too quickly when cooking.

sainsbury's own-brand says on the back 'because of the processes by which this product is made, not suitable for those suffering from an egg allergy'. however, there are no eggy products in the ingredients.

i have NO idea what that means, and whether it means i can eat it....so i don't buy it anymore post-veggiedom.

amanda

It probably means that eggs are used in processing it, but none remain in the finished product (or at least not in large enough quantities to warrant being included in the list of ingredients). Or it could be an issue of cross-contamination from other products in the same factory.

I'm pretty sure it's an issue of potential cross-contamination. I've seen Sainsbury's products that carry that warning but are still labeled as suitable for vegans.

You guys are lucky to have vegan labelling in the UK. Here only very few specialty items (such as Amy's products) are specially labelled if they are vegan.

When did their large vegetable spring rolls stop being vegetarian?

I was going to by some and could not see the green 'suitable' logo on the label.

As it was a new packaging I though they might have changed is position. But no, still could not find it. And then I read the allergy advice - not suitable for people with nut or shellfish allergies.

Michael.

They've always had that allergy advice on and still used to have a vegetarian label.

Ahh, I do not remember that. Probably one of those 'produced on the same machinery" disclaimers then.

In which case it must mean they have stopped cleaning it between uses then!

Michael.

If it makes you feel any better, the Waitrose spring rolls are yummier and vegan!

Quote Troutina View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, the Waitrose spring rolls are yummier and vegan!
    As I was in the area I stopped off at Gloucester Road to take a look.

At almost twice the price and half the size I would hope they are yummier!

I bought some though so I will give them a try tomorrow.

Michael.

Had the Morrisons' ones yesterday. I thought they were really good, crisped up really nicely, but Toni thought they were too aniseedy. I thought they tasted perfect, though.

Quote maikeru View Post
    As I was in the area I stopped off at Gloucester Road to take a look.

At almost twice the price and half the size I would hope they are yummier!

I bought some though so I will give them a try tomorrow.
    Spring rolls are easy to make. As long as you are prepared to accept the spring roll pastry at Asian supply shops (ingredients: wheat flour and water, marked suitable for vegetarians) as vegan.

Apparently........

'hard sheese and creamy sheese are now available in 200 of Sainsbury’s stores. Two of the flavours are now available (Cheddar style Spread & Smoked Cheddar) and it seems the others will be stocked, depending on how the first two sell.'

I think that means if we dont buy the stuff its likely to get scraped and if we do then they will expand the range.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

animaladvocate

Their hot cross buns are vegan this year!

Are you sure? I checked the SoOrganic, wholemeal, Taste the difference and bog-standard ones yesterday and they all had eggs and/or milk in 'em, and even the Free From ones had egg whites.

One of them (hot cross buns that is) is definitely labelled as vegan, can't remember which though, might have been the economy ones ??????

Ah, that could be - there seemed to be about a hundred different kinds, and I definitely didn't check them all out.

You guys are lucky. I can't find vegan hot cross buns ANYWHERE!

The wholemeal, healthy type ones are labelled. I tried them but they're a bit bread-like. Not sweet enough for my liking.
    Luckily, I can get hold of the Authentic Bread Company ones here, which are FAB! I don't mean to rub it in - I just thought I'd mention them in-case anyone else wants to try them.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

animaladvocate

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Are you sure? I checked the SoOrganic, wholemeal, Taste the difference and bog-standard ones yesterday and they all had eggs and/or milk in 'em, and even the Free From ones had egg whites.
    The ordinary white ones and the Be Good To yourself ones are marked vegan.

I must have been having a bonkers five minutes, then - 'cos the ordinary ones were the first ones I looked at. Oh well, I'll go back tomorrow.

There are some bakery type ones in clear cellophane that aren't labelled I noticed yesterday. Annoys me that they don't have to label that stuff, as there are loads of tasty looking things that you just don't know what is in.

animaladvocate

Quote Pob View Post
    There are some bakery type ones in clear cellophane that aren't labelled I noticed yesterday. Annoys me that they don't have to label that stuff, as there are loads of tasty looking things that you just don't know what is in.
    There is always a big folder behind the bakery counter which specifies which bakery items are vegan and which aren't so next time you are there open your mouth and ask to see it.

We have asked and looked, but there are plenty of ingredients that could go either way, and items aren't labelled as vegan.

Plus I can't be bothered as the staff are never pleased to help out, and it has taken ages when we have asked.

erm......can someone send me a vegan hot cross bun - I'm in Cambodia and they dont really celebrate Easter here.

Anyhow (if I remember correctly) last year I think it was the Be Good To Yourself ones that were vegan from sainsburys.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

i bought some today. DG..see your pm.

specifically went to sainsbury's trying to find suitable eggs for the kids. last yera i remember they sold kinnerton labelled as vegan bart simpson ones..and i think bratz ones. sure i got the exact same in jack fultons..aye, cos i remember a super fun ongoing eggstatically amusing series of banterings with mr flibble about it.
    anyhow, sainsbury's and jack fultons had neither this year..so that pissed me off
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

What are Sainsbury's doing with their labelling. It seems that some products are not only losing their "vegan" labelling, but their "vegetarian" labelling as well. The chocolate mint thins were labelled vegan, but last time I went they had some in new packaging. And this new packaging said nothing about being vegetarian or vegan that I could see.

Quote Digital Ghost View Post
    'hard sheese and creamy sheese are now available in 200 of Sainsbury’s stores. Two of the flavours are now available (Cheddar style Spread & Smoked Cheddar) and it seems the others will be stocked, depending on how the first two sell.'

I think that means if we dont buy the stuff its likely to get scraped and if we do then they will expand the range.

sigh - why is it when you see 'available in 200 stores' or whatever, it never seems to be the stores near me? it would be nice to have the chance to buy and boost the sales - sometimes it makes me suspicious in which stores they place these products - in areas that are not going to be interested in them or in smaller stores.