Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Sainsburys

I usually shop in Sainsburys but have been in Waitrose and Tesco recently and noticed that only Sainsburys mark their pre-prepared salads as 'washed in spring water'. So what are the others washed in?

btw here is an article saying they no longer advise re-washing ready washed salads.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

According to "Not on the Label" by Felicity Lawrence, pre-prepared salads are washed in a nasty chlorine solution (10 times stronger than in swimming pools) to avoid the risk of e-coli bacteria. Reading that book has put me off pre-prepared salads forever.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Quote cedarblue View Post
    sigh - why is it when you see 'available in 200 stores' or whatever, it never seems to be the stores near me? it would be nice to have the chance to buy and boost the sales - sometimes it makes me suspicious in which stores they place these products - in areas that are not going to be interested in them or in smaller stores.
    well, i take that back - i just rang them to ask the nearest store to me and it is stocked in one the other side of town! that's what i'm doing tomorrow then!

i was in the sainsbury's in beeston, notts on the weekend and found the cheezly, so anyone round that way, you can get your fix it was in with the dairylea and other cheezes like that.

haven't looked in london yet.

amanda

also the woman who helped me locate told me there are actually only 157 stores in the trial

also the woman who helped me locate told me there are actually only 157 stores in the trial
    I'm sorry - I got an email from the company and it said 200 stores.......that will teach me for randomly quoting other people.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

oh i wasn't making a point just relaying the info.

i managed to get some of the spread, didn't fancy the block. the box of spread was nearly empty though so that's encouraging

oh i wasn't making a point just relaying the info.

i managed to get some of the spread, didn't fancy the block. the box of spread was nearly empty though so that's encouraging
    See......I wasnt wrong I was just relaying info - wrong info, but still info.

Glad you found it anyhow.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

sigh - why is it when you see 'available in 200 stores' or whatever, it never seems to be the stores near me? it would be nice to have the chance to buy and boost the sales - sometimes it makes me suspicious in which stores they place these products - in areas that are not going to be interested in them or in smaller stores.
    They have been spotted in Locksbottom of all places. Not exactly a hotbed of Vegan purchasing power. Makes you wonder...

Just to warn you all:
    Sainsbury's now do an olive oil with omega3 (ie. fish oil) which you could easily pick up by accident, especially if you are in a hurry
    The only reason I noticed was a small sign on the shelf saying "not suitable for vegetarians". The bottle was practically the same as their normal olive oil
    here comes the sun

Ew. Thanks for highlighting that.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

thanks

I said recently on another thread I suspected the Sainsbury's Free From 'milk' chocolate was just a repackaged version of the Dairy Free/Humdinger/Sweet William one. And so I bought one of each to compare.

Maybe I am just really slow and you all already knew this, but they are obviously the same given they have the same small archer boy (?) design on the top of each piece.

And now I am forced to eat two bars of chocolate. Poor me.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

I figured they were the same, cos it says so on their website

Ahh. Yes... well... that is no good for me as I, erm, do not have internet access.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

hahaha bless.

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum but sainsburys seem to have started making their own "free from" spread (like margarine) again.i know they used to do it, then stopped, but in the fridge my housemate seems to have bought some today so seems it has returned.just a heads up in case anyone's interested!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Saw some vegetarian Masala Dosas in Sainsbury's freezer today, alongside their other vegetarian Indian food (such as Amy's). I'm pretty sure that the web address on the box was www.shani.tv or www.sharni.tv, but neither site seems to exist. Anyone know the correct web address or if these are actually vegan? (They also had two different types of samosa from the same company...)

Actually, if you like Indian food, Sainsbury's "3 for £5" offer on own brand party food applies to their boxes of 8 samosas and 8 bhajees (vegn, of course) which is great. Although last time I looked, Co-op did a similar deal but on boxes of 6 (at least I think it was 6) samosas, bhajees and something else (also vegan).

Doh! Just answered my own question. It was www.shana.tv.

Have sent them an email to ask what's vegan. Will post back when I hear...

I saw those Masala Dosa's in Asda last week, they looked good but I think there was an ingredient I wasn't sure of so I didn't get them, hope they are vegan!

Does anyone know if Sainburys necessary label all their vegan products as vegan? I was looking at a couple of things yesterday that were only labelled vegetarian but appeared from the ingredients to be vegan, one of the things was a nann bread and I can't remember what else.

there's been a lot of discussion about that lily, Sainsburys started taking the 'vegan' labelling off their own brand packaging for a while, they said they're bringing it back but there are probably still some products that haven't been repackaged to say vegan again yet.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Also didn't they decide not to label certain things vegan because there was a slight cross contamination risk in the factory?

i think that was their excuse for removing the 'vegan' labels, yes.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote lily80 View Post
    Does anyone know if Sainburys necessary label all their vegan products as vegan?
    No, they don't label anything that they think is "obvious" (although bizarrely they label frozen veg, but not tinned or fresh). Apparently this is what their customers have said is OK.

I dunno who these customers are though! Given the number of processing aids that don't have to be listed, I think that an ingredients list can only be used to determine that some products are not suitable, not to determine whether or not something is suitable.

But I haven't really noticed much vegan labelling disappearing. Only the odd product, which apparently wasn't vegan anymore.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I spotted some vegan apple and blackcurrant pies in the Free From section of sainsbury's today... I'd never seen them before so I don't know if they're new.

Yeah, but they're not very nice! The pastry is really cardboardy. Because of the non-wheat flour, I guess...

Their economy apple pies are much nicer, in my opinion (and apparently also vegan).

I think they taste OK, but they explode the minute you touch them.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin View Post
    I think they taste OK, but they explode the minute you touch them.
    Heather Mills will be campaigning against them soon no doubt..
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

quick question, sorry don't have time to go through all of the thread!

Does Sains sell Cheesly? I know morrisons does so never looked for it in Sainsburys!

A larger store near here does. They also sell creamy sheese.

EDIT: Been told that it was sheese, not cheezly.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

mine also does, although its only the cream sheese "cheddar style" and the "hickory smoked style" one of bute island. but they do sell vegan cheese, not used to that yet..
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Thanks guys!

wow, i've never seen Cheezly or Scheese in my local Sainsburys and it's pretty big.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    wow, i've never seen Cheezly or Scheese in my local Sainsburys and it's pretty big.
    I had never seen it in mine either Gorilla and then i tried searching for it online for online shopping and there is was! 2 sorts cheddar spread and smokey cheddar I think it was. Going to try them anyway but I have bought lots of vegan cheese in the past and chucked it out.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I haven't read the whole thread, Sainsbury's version of Kellogg's raisin wheats are vegan and they also come in apricot and (I think) raspberry & blueberry flavours. They're all labelled as vegan.

has vegable samosas/onion Baji stopped being suitable for vegans. I always double check with the person who is with me when I go there and she said they no longer say suitable for vegan. Is that because the ingrediants have changed as they used to say suitable for vegan.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Quote vavavegan View Post
    I had never seen it in mine either Gorilla and then i tried searching for it online for online shopping and there is was! 2 sorts cheddar spread and smokey cheddar I think it was. Going to try them anyway but I have bought lots of vegan cheese in the past and chucked it out.
    if you guys ring their customer services, they can tell you if it's in your local store, where it is and if they don't stock it, your nearest branch. it wasn't introduced into many stores as a pilot though.

I've just found a vegan list on the Sainsbury's website! Has anyone else seen it? I got all excited at first but when I had a look it appears to be all stuff like plain rice and olive oil, and I can't find stuff like some of their frozen burgers I'm sure I've seen labelled as vegan. If you go to this page: http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/spe.../vegandiet.htm it's in the bottom right hand corner, download the pdf and go to page 93 and that's the vegan list. It is just me being thick though or have they left a load of stuff (i.e. stuff that would be useful to know) off it?

Nice find. (Did you notice the summary of other stuff on page 100?)

Browsing the free from aisle, sainsbury's now seem to stock a chocolate selection box as well as 3 different kinds of 'choc bars'. Didn't pick up the box though, the flavors looked a bit poor.

And cheers for the heads up on the list derwenna.

I hear they've started labelling the vegan products on their online shop too....

I was on there yesterday looking up the nutritional info of something and it had a big green circle with a white V next to it. I checked some veggie but not vegan products and they didn't have this, so maybe it's true

Here it is:

That logo is definitely for vegan products. If you look at the URL - it has "vegan and vegetarian..." in it. The veggy one is the green leaf anyway.

I've just had a good look at the list too - Thanks Derwenna !!
    I think it's actually pretty good - and it also contains some interesting info about their policies on toiletries and animal testing etc.

"Sainsbury’s is also a member of the Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical
    Experiments (FRAME), whose scientists are developing new non animal-based tests to satisfy UK and EU safety and legal requirements for new products. . "

I also think that many of the things on the list are not labelled vegan, so it's useful info. I will be checking the ingredients on the packs though.

I also found this section useful and interesting that they should make such broad statements:
    All products in the following groupings are suitable for vegans and so a
    specific product list is not provided for these groups:
    All plain, dried, herbs & spices
    All plain, fresh or frozen fruit
    All vegetables (canned, fresh or frozen), including salad vegetables & fresh herbs
    without batter, crumbs, marinade, stuffing or sauce
    All plain packet rice
    All plain packet tea (bags or leaf)
    All plain coffee (instant, beans or ground)
    All plain water (still or sparkling)
    All canned fruit in fruit juice or syrup

After just a quick glance at this list I notice no houmous is listed (despite many being labelled vegan) so I wonder what else has been left off?
    Last edited by Marrers; Aug 28th, 2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: mis-typed a word

Quote Cumin View Post
    That logo is definitely for vegan products. If you look at the URL - it has "vegan and vegetarian..." in it. The veggy one is the green leaf anyway.
    I never even noticed, and I saved and hosted it on imgshack! Duh me. I am also interested to see if their Hummus is still going to be marked vegan/ will it be vegan. I have a panic coming on...

After just a quick glance at this list I notice no houmous is listed (despite many being labelled vegan) so I wonder what else has been left off?
    I am also interested to see if their Hummus is still going to be marked vegan/ will it be vegan. I have a panic coming on...
    i also noticed that they didn´t list it. but in their online shop and at the stores directly it is marked vegan. strange...
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Sainsbury's have changed all their amazing Free From cookies into eggy cookies
    This is the worst thing ever and not just in amazing cookies not being vegan anymore.
    ANGRY EMAIL AHOY.

^ noooo! have they got rid of the old ones completely or just changed the recipes? i liked the chocolate chip cookies and shortcake. if they've got rid of them/made them non-vegan i'll be very annoyed (although it'll probably do my waistline a bit of good lol!)

That's terrible! They were damn fine cookies.

The big chewy Nanas ones in many health food stores are nice too though.

Mind you, I haven't had either in a while...