Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Supermarket labelling?

Quote Troutina

Well off the top of my head I remember strawberry jam and pickle being labelled as vegetarian and not vegan, and I am certain that these would be vegan, wouldn't they?
    This reminds me of the "Vegetarian" garbanzo beans that I bought...I've never seen non-vegetarian (or non-vegan, for that matter) garbanzo beans!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

ahhh the ease of been a vegan-dislike many of the omnivores that shop in standard supermarkets anyway! not all but some...

Quote Troutina
    Well off the top of my head I remember strawberry jam and pickle being labelled as vegetarian and not vegan, and I am certain that these would be vegan, wouldn't they?
    I suppose there is the chance of cross contamination with honey or eggs, maybe. I don't believe that the chance of cross contamination should mean that a product is not labelled vegan. Label it vegan and list the possible contaminants.

Products that spring to mind as having no non-vegan ingredients listed and being labelled only vegetarian: SO Organic cereal bars, both varieties, chilled vegetable spring rolls, ginger biscuits.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I agree. I think they should leave it up to you to make the decision, because I personally would still eat something even if it may be on the same line- I just don't think the risk is enough to not buy something.

I might email them back and give them a few pointers, if people want to add to the things already put- please do!!

Thumbs up Sainsbury's new veggie & vegan recipes forum

It could be worthwhile showing the big chains what we like to cook if you want to encourage stocking of particular ingredients etc etc. The forum is here.

Default Re: Sainsbury's new veggie & vegan recipes forum

Just joined. Is there a way to change my login password?

Under Update my profile on the left.

Thanks

Default Re: Sainsburys & The Vegan Products List - ACT NOW ! for change

Sainsburys have started a new message board.

There is an exclusive link for Vegetarians & Vegans

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/YourIdeas/forums/27/ShowForum.aspx

Check it out.

Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Just registered - seems positive of Sainsburys. Some nice sounding recipes on there too - did a vegan search and 79 turned up! mind you not quite there yet as some contain butter or cream yet others say dairy free marg or soya cream!

Alison

The vegan recipes have been on the sainsburys site for several years. If you see non vegan ones that claim to be then complain, I have in the past.

Kiran's thread seems to have been merged with the wrong one - there was another thread announcing the same thing several weeks ago - if you check the usernames of the people on the sainsburys forums I think you'll notice some simularities
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    Kiran's thread seems to have been merged with the wrong one
    Kiran's thread was not merged anywhere. I posted it here as I could not find the corresponding thread which was created earlier.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

ah, my mistake then

Default Sainsbury's - Redwood and Frys

I e-mailed Sainsbury's and asked if they'd consider stocking Redwoods or Fry's products, instead of or aswell as their quorn range. This is the reply, so I suggest others do the same!

Thank you for contacting us to request that we sell Redwood and Fry's foods in our stores.

Please be assured that we do listen to our customers and try to stock the things they want to buy. We do not currently sell these products in any of our stores at present as our buyers have not anticipated a demand for the products. To date I am not aware that we have had any other requests to stock them. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I will however let our buying team know of your interest and if more customers request that we stock the products, it is possible that they may appear on our shelves in future.

Thank you very much for writing.

Kind regards

Denise Dunn
    Sainsbury's Customer Services
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 30th, 2006 at 10:57 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in another sainsbury's thread

Default Re: Sainsbury's - Redwood and Frys

Aww I would love for them to start selling Redwoods and Frys' stuff- just imagine being able to buy BACON there, or something 'meaty' to put in a sandwich, not just all the sandwich accessories!

On a Sainsburys-related note, in the Free From section they've started making chocolate chip cookies and sultana cookies and ginger cookies, all vegan and AMAAAZZIINNGG!!

I just emailed this to Sainsburys.
    "I am dismayed with your new range of ready meals "Not Just For . . Vegetarians" - with not one things suitable for vegans as far as I can see. Why is this? Some items appear from the ingredients list to be suitable for vegans but the labels only say suitable for vegetarians. Can you please clarify?

It seems to me that many product labels have lost the words 'vegetarian' or 'vegetarian and vegan' and now simply have a 'V' . What does this 'V' mean for vegans?

It is also disheartening to see the range of veggie foods increasing but virtually nothing for vegans. Quorn is not vegan and the majority of Cauldron Foods aren't either.
    There are brands out there (like Redwoods and Frys) producing fantastic products which are suitable for vegetarians AND vegans - I don't understand why you would choose products which exclude a section of the market over products which EVERYONE can enjoy."

I've contacted sainsburys in the past and there's existing threads on the subject, but i fired another one off this morning just for good measure

I might as well join in what's the email address?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I did it via the 'contact us' page on the website.

keep em coming..........

Dear Ian

Thank you for contacting us to request that we sell redwoods in our stores.

Please be assured that we do listen to our customers and try to stock the things they want to buy. We do not currently sell redwoods in any of our stores at present as our buyers have not anticipated a demand for the product. To date I am not aware that we have had any other requests to stock it. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I will let our buying team know of your interest and if more customers request that we stock the product, it is possible that it may appear on our shelves in future.

Kind regards

Margaret Law

Stu

Don't you just love standardised resposes?
    Quote EFCliz View Post
    Thank you for contacting us to request that we sell Redwood and Fry's foods in our stores.

Please be assured that we do listen to our customers and try to stock the things they want to buy. We do not currently sell these products in any of our stores at present as our buyers have not anticipated a demand for the products. To date I am not aware that we have had any other requests to stock them. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I will however let our buying team know of your interest and if more customers request that we stock the products, it is possible that they may appear on our shelves in future.

Kind regards

Denise Dunn

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Dear Ian

Thank you for contacting us to request that we sell redwoods in our stores.

Please be assured that we do listen to our customers and try to stock the things they want to buy. We do not currently sell redwoods in any of our stores at present as our buyers have not anticipated a demand for the product. To date I am not aware that we have had any other requests to stock it. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I will let our buying team know of your interest and if more customers request that we stock the product, it is possible that it may appear on our shelves in future.

Kind regards

Margaret Law
    I've contacted sainsburys in the past and there's existing threads on the subject, but i fired another one off this morning just for good measure
    That's all well and good Mr. Flibs, but can you please keep posts of this nature in the 'Erogenous Zone'?

Who's Ian?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Two different people replying so far but I wonder how long it will be before Denise or Margaret send out more replies alledging no-one else has asked for them!
    (How come Flibble got a reply and I'm still waiting! )

Marrers: I'm special?
    Stu: at least someone appreciates my inuendo
    RW: I use a different email address and name everytime i contact a company. That way if i ever get spam I know who sold my details. I've not had a single piece of spam to my personal address in about 4 years as a result.

Quote RedWellies View Post
    Who's Ian?
    Ian's my brother in law. I don't think he knows that Mr F has stolen his identity.
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 27th, 2006 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Sainsbury's Indian Food posts are now in http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12621

Default Sainsbury's Indian Food

They also discontinued their Dhansak as part of a update to their chilled ready meals range.

It wasn't amazing, but it was Vegan and always in stock if I was in a hurry
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 27th, 2006 at 11:52 AM. Reason: posts moved from the Sainsbury's - Redwood and Frys thread

Im still able to buy the dhansak? I tend to keep one in the freezer for a quick meal if late in.................

So it's just my two local Sainsbury's then. Great

Got my dad to ask about this - it seems they are expanding the Indian range and stopping certain meals that dont sell as well - including the dhansak, this is in smaller stores, the big stores should still have it.

confusing!

Thanks. I'll have a look around other stores.

It's a shame their new Vegetable Biryani (which looks much more appetising) has milk in it. There's no need, and it cuts out potential customers.

Stu

Dear Stuart
    Thank you for your recent email. I understand that you would like us to consider increasing our range of Vegan products in our stores. I appreciate how important this is, especially as some of the ranges currently stocked are not suitable for you.

We are always pleased to hear from our customers, especially when they have suggestions about how we can improve the service we offer to our customers. I have therefore passed a copy of your email to our product development department for their information. They will certainly bear your comments in mind when they next review the vegan ranges being sold in our stores.

Thank you once again for writing to us and for your interest in Sainsbury’s.
    Kind regards

Jennifer Frost

Dear James

Thank you for your recent email. I understand that you would like us to consider stocking Redwood and Fry’s products in our stores. I appreciate how important this is, especially as you need to follow a vegan diet.

We are always pleased to hear from our customers, especially when they have suggestions about how we can improve the service we offer to our customers. I have therefore passed your suggestion to our product development department. They will certainly bear your comments in mind when they next review the range of vegan products in our stores.

You also mention that you would like a vegan guide. I can confirm that we did use to do a vegan dietary guide. However, the recipes and suppliers changed so often we were unable to keep the guide up to date. We therefore advice our customers to look for the vegan symbol on our packaging to determine if the product is suitable for them to try. You may wish to try some of the vegan recipes listed on our website at www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/specialdiets.

Thank you once again for writing to us and for your interest in Sainsbury’s. Your views are therefore most welcome.

Kind regards

Jennifer Frost
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Stu: at least someone appreciates my inuendo
    I'm glad it wasn't just me
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Marrers View Post
    "I am dismayed with your new range of ready meals "Not Just For . . Vegetarians" - with not one things suitable for vegans as far as I can see. Why is this? Some items appear from the ingredients list to be suitable for vegans but the labels only say suitable for vegetarians. Can you please clarify?

It seems to me that many product labels have lost the words 'vegetarian' or 'vegetarian and vegan' and now simply have a 'V' . What does this 'V' mean for vegans?

It is also disheartening to see the range of veggie foods increasing but virtually nothing for vegans. Quorn is not vegan and the majority of Cauldron Foods aren't either.
    There are brands out there (like Redwoods and Frys) producing fantastic products which are suitable for vegetarians AND vegans - I don't understand why you would choose products which exclude a section of the market over products which EVERYONE can enjoy."

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I note from your email that you are concerned about the lack of products suitable for vegans and also the labelling of products in our stores. I can understand your concerns, especially as you seem so passionate on this matter.

I have spoken to my colleagues here at our store support centre. They have advised me that our supplier produces these products in a meat free factory with a dairy segregation. However, we decided not to flash the vegan logo as the area was not dairy free. We are reviewing this and will look into the possibility of flashing the products that are suitable for vegans. Please see the list of products below which details suitable for vegans.

Vegetarian Chilli & Rice
    Vegetable Casserole with dumplings
    Jambalaya
    Vegetable Terriyaki
    Bulgar Wheat Pilaff
    Bean & Vegetable Casserole
    Vegetable Tagine and Cous Cous
    Malaysian Vegetable Curry with Noodles.

I hope this information is helpful to you and that any of the above products are suitable for you. Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us. Your comments are very welcome.

Kind regards

Michaela Dickens

Good Result Marrers! Passion seems to pay off. That's certainly encouraging to see that they will actually do more than just wack off another copy of their usual email.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Well at least we have a list but they didn't address my question about what the 'V' means. With this whole thing about dairy being used on the premises we are lucky to have anything labelled vegan!!
    (Surely they are getting us confused with dairy allergy sufferers - in my view a 'may contain traces' warning would be more appropriate than removing a 'vegan' label.)

I am so irritated about the lack of a consistent policy on labelling . . . might have to reply to probe further!!

I have to agree. I get a bit fed up with the "may-contain-traces-of" stuff being confused with the vegan ingredients issue. It's only appeared on our food as a legal get-out clause following the nut-allergy scares. Much as I hate the idea of there being traces of dairy in my food, it's a different problem to intentional ingredients. The two should not be interchanged.
    Veganism is NOT an allergy !

You go get 'em Marrers !

Quote Marrers View Post
    Vegetarian Chilli & Rice
    Jambalaya
    Vegetable Terriyaki
    Bulgar Wheat Pilaff
    What magic Sainsbury's are these available in? Has onyone spotted these items? What section?

I think it is the new 'Not just for . . . vegetarians' range (since that was the range I enquired about). It's with the ready meals in the chiller cabinets.

I've seen a few which is why I queried it as I couldn't see what wasn't vegan from the ingredients.

Cheers. I'll have to look a bit more carefully, and try a few more stores.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Vegetarian Chilli & Rice
    Jambalaya
    Vegetable Terriyaki
    Bulgar Wheat Pilaff
    oh GOOD! ..because i took my chance with the Tagine & Cous Cous and the Malaysian Curry after scanning the ingredients about a million times

I found the cous cous really dry, and the sauce with the curry quite sweet. I'm in no hurry to buy them again; actually i probably won't.

Default Re: Sainsburys

On a Sainsbury's related note, I was looking at their free-from range and trying to get some vegan ice cream. They had toffee flavour and raspberry flavour. I picked up the raspberry one (suitable for vegetarians) and looked at the list of ingredients. I couldn't see anything that wasn't suitable for vegans in the list, and I got a bit annoyed at Sainsbury's inconsistent vegan labeling. I ummmed and arred about whether it was vegan, when I noticed that the toffee one said "vegetarian and vegan".

This makes me now thing that anything labelled "suitable for vegetarians" (instead of "vegetarian and vegan") isn't suitable for vegans even if the list of ingredients appears okay. Or is this just the thing of being made in/near somewhere with dairy and possible cross-contamination? But why make toffee ice cream vegan and not raspberry, I don't gettit

I've been meaning to get onto Sainsbury's about it, just wondered if anyone knew.

I don't know if this is relevant but when going into Sainsburys recently I noticed that their 'freefrom' range has had a lot of new recipes introduced.
    For example, their shortcake cookies are now suitable for vegans whereas they used to have milk in them (or something similar).

Mmm the shortcake is so good!!
    Really melts in your mouth and MMM.

Their value mince pies are vegan (labelled as such) and are only 49p, I like them, bit heavy on the pastry, but not as many calories as some non vegan ones.
    On the subject of those ready meals listed above, I've tried them all except the jambalaya, which i've never seen. The others are OK.
    Sainsburys also do a Wholewheat spaghetti ready meal, which looks vegan, but only labelled veggie; anyone had that?

NEVER get any of their pasta ready meals!
    Bit of a generalisation, but I bought their tomato sauce penne pasta ready meal and it was YUCK! Pasta was really unevenly cooked, bits were dry/ hard, some bits were nice, on the whole really not worth it!!

Quote Troutina View Post
    Mmm the shortcake is so good!!
    Really melts in your mouth and MMM.
    It is indeed, i'm having to ration myself!

Shortcake......

Vegan Shortcake?

Oh yhea.

i bought some of the FreeFrom shortcake the other day but i haven't tried it yet. i did notice that as part of their rebranding, they seem to have copied a lot of products and are now selling them under their own brand. for example, the Sweet William chocolate bars, and the Livwell cherry bakewells and apple pies, have all disappeared and they now only have their own brand equivalent in my local shop, and they look exactly the same as the old products. they're selling the new own brand products at the same price as the old brands, so they get more of the profit. typical supermarket tactics really...
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Demon

All this talk of shortcake, I just had to go out and get some - nice!

I did notice though that Bourbons have been rebranded and don't say vegan any more.

My branch didn;t have the 'basics' mince pies either but I did notice the 'basics' xmas pud is labelled vegan.