Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Sainsbury's

I'm getting so confused.
    After enjoying shopping 100 times more in Sainsburys thanks to their vegan labelling, I am getting really worried that they're changing to just vegetarian labelling??

They have changed their design, but the things that are vegan seem to be mostly the old design, saying its vegan. But now and again I find things that I am certain are vegan but which are only labelled vegetarian i.e. crispy seaweed an popcorn...

I'm going to be so angry if they stop labelling things vegan, the nearest co op is over an hour drive away, or it will take me about a thousand years to shop!

Default Re: Sainsburys labelling?

I noticed that the last time I went . I think we need to show them that the labelling is in demand so should keep it .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

I think it may be that if there is a chance of cross contamination they are not labelling it vegan. There are SO cereal bars that seem to be vegan, the vegetable spring rolls look vegan, too. Both are not labelled as such though, and both are candidates for cross contamination.

The new SO packaging that is coming in has more stuff labelled as vegan than used to be - eg the old style Scottish organic oats weren't labelled vegan, the new SO styled ones are.

Maybe they want to appeal to vegetarians as well?

Some vegetarians may see the vegan label and go, "Oh that's not for me. I'm not vegan."
    Peace, love, and happiness.

The vegan labelling did say vegetarian and vegan.
    I think I'll email them to ask where they stand with the whole labelling thing, because although I have grown to like Sainsburys, I travel there because they label things vegan. And if they completely stopped then I would maybe not bother going there.

I noticed their strudels aren't labelled vegan any more. I still bought one of each flavour as I'm sure the ingredients haven't changed, but my heart sank when I noticed the word vegan was missing .
    Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Quote Lily
    I noticed their strudels aren't labelled vegan any more. I still bought one of each flavour as I'm sure the ingredients haven't changed, but my heart sank when I noticed the word vegan was missing .
    I actually stood in the shop and did a minute comparison of the old and new ingredients. I think there were a couple of minor differences in the ingredients, but nothing that I would have thought made a difference to their veganness. I bought the old style ones to be on the safe side and planned to phone them to find out what was going on, but haven't remembered during their customer service opening hours so far. Will do it this week though.

Someone told me that the original reason they started labelling was because they had a vegan (or at least, the partner of a vegan) working at head office. Wonder if she's gone and they've started slacking off?

The cross contamination issue could so easily be addressed by saying "vegan" but having a disclaimer about possible traces. Green and Blacks do that.

Right. I have just spoken to "Kerry" on Sainsbury's 0800 Careline number - she claims that the reason the new packaged strudels aren't labelled vegan is that they now contain "whole milk" - I told her I had not seen milk anywhere in the ingredients and that there was no allergy information saying they contain milk, but she was unable to help me more than just to repeat that they now contain milk and therefore are no longer suitable for vegans.

I asked if there was any way I could get an explanation of this in writing and she said no, but that if I write to the company they will reply in writing.

Watch this space...

i've got one of those strudels in my freezer because i thought they were still vegan and they'd just changed their label again, as the ingredients seemed ok. i won't be eating it until i can get a proper answer out of them - i'll contact them too!!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

You've guessed it, I've already eaten mine
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Quote Troutina
    I'm getting so confused.
    After enjoying shopping 100 times more in Sainsburys thanks to their vegan labelling, I am getting really worried that they're changing to just vegetarian labelling??

They have changed their design, but the things that are vegan seem to be mostly the old design, saying its vegan. But now and again I find things that I am certain are vegan but which are only labelled vegetarian i.e. crispy seaweed an popcorn...

I'm going to be so angry if they stop labelling things vegan, the nearest co op is over an hour drive away, or it will take me about a thousand years to shop!
    Could it be that they have realised hat the things labelled as vegan were not actually vegan because of such things as non-vegan added vitamins, or other non vegan flavourings, colourings, preservatives etc? Have you tried the Animal Free Shopper? If I was in doubt about something I would check with that or consult the Vegan Society.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Not been to sainsbury's in a while but when i went just before xmas i bought some non bio laundry liquid which said on the back it was vegan. it was also alot cheaper than buying Ecover. anyway next time we went back they seemed to have changed the labelling and this time it didnt have anything wrote on the back about the product, gone back to Ecover. i love sainsbury's vegan garlic bread hope they dont change it! will check out the label situation next visit dont go often though only to stock up on spicy bean burgers.

sainsburys vegan garlic bread?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

yeah its in the freezer section. usually they have a bogof deal on it.

interestment

Quote Mr Flibble
    interestment
    Indeed - I've never even considered the possibility that garlic bread would be vegan.

i also never thought this was poss you'll have to see if your local sainsbury's sells it. it definitely says vegan on it.

Quote Lily
    AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

You've guessed it, I've already eaten mine
    To be honest, I'm not sure I believed her - why would a strudel contain "whole milk"? it sounded like she'd asked someone, who'd asked someone else and then the answer had come back to her along the same lines. I haven't ruled out someone mishearing yet (faint hope, I know).

Hopefully a written response from Sainsbury's will shed a bit more light on it.

Quote Mr Flibble
    They're like half size french sticks, with garlic margarine in the middle. They're okay for an emergency, but there's a lot of fat in them (I mean, more than I'd put in if I was making them myself).

Also - note that it's only the baguette style - they do garlic slices in the freezer section as well, which I think used to be vegan but now aren't.

Cool, will keep an eye out. Fat is my friend

Quote Mr Flibble

It's a taste sensation.

Ahem.

I'm not sure i'd go that far - I acquired and ate some last night

Certainly not bad thou, and reasonably cheap at 99p for 2.

That would be useful to keep in the freezer.........I tend to do a wheat free version using rye bread with vegan marg and crushed garlic on but useful for taking to friends/for buffets etc...

Alison

i wrote to sainsburys not long ago to complain (im a 60 year old trapped in a slighty younger body) as their dry roasted nuts used to be suitable for us lot a while back but now they contain bad things. i got a letter back saying that they were currently reviewing the labelling of products and how to improve it. they were also going to look into getting items listed in the vegan shopper, when asked why they didnt list items in there and other supermarkets did.
    i do think they are making an effort and not jsut fobbing me off as i wrote to them before asking about vegan products and they sent me back a booklet they had produced themselves detailing all vegan items, i dont know if they still do it or if its much better than the M&S one

maybe we need to hound them a little more until we get a definite response

Looking at the site, they seem really interested in veganism (I say this quite skeptically, I do think this all traces back to marketing and the appeal of more £££ but its vegan none the less) and they list recipes, but I don't think they realise how vital product labelling is!! Reading a book while you shop takes precisely three bajillion times longer than looking at a green circle with VEGAN written below it.

And I recently found vegan naan bread in Sainsburys. It made me have a tiny orgasm.

Quote Troutina
    And I recently found vegan naan bread in Sainsburys. It made me have a tiny orgasm.
    Oooh, I had that too!

Which? The bread?
    I had the garlic and coriander stuff, yesterday (and the day before). I stick it in the toaster for a couple of minutes. It's very nice, but hasn't given me an orgasm yet - am I doing something wrong?

Quote Troutina
    It really is wonderful stuff. And so are their plain wraps.

Quote Troutina
    That must have been interesting for the other customers. Who needs Anne Summers when we've got Sainsbury's.

Quote Rob(QG)
    Which? The bread?
    I had the garlic and coriander stuff, yesterday (and the day before). I stick it in the toaster for a couple of minutes. It's very nice, but hasn't given me an orgasm yet - am I doing something wrong?
    Maybe it's not meant for eating

Kumem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

i emailed Sainsbury's and they said their fruit strudels are definitely still vegan - it's just a mistake on the new label that the word vegan has been left off. YAY
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yipee!

Thanks for that, Gorilla

Default Sainsburys & The Vegan Products List - ACT NOW ! for change

I am not a massive fan of Sainsbury Due to Lord Sainsbury being pro HLS and giving a large portion of his salary in donations to them, but in my town I am stuck between them and ASDA so I have to use a bit of each, not through choice.

I recently emailed them and asked of they produce a list of Vegan & Vegetarian products which also include beers and wines.....

Below is the reply, they say their is no demand for it......

If anyone has to use Sainsbury please please please all take a moment and contact them via their online site https://online.sainsburysbank.co.uk/...ContactUs.aspx contact form and all start requesting or asking is they have this list ! enough demand will make them produce it again I am sure. The list was not just drinks this is food as well !

Any how here is the respone from them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 15 Mar 2006 13:37:43 +0000
    Subject: RE: Other Questions

Dear Jayson

Thank you for your recent email. I understand that you would like a list of our vegetarian and vegan wines.

So there is no confusion about which products are suitable for vegetarians and vegans, we make sure there is a symbol on food whenever there might be room for doubt. So for instance, you will find the label on ready meals that are pre prepared from several different ingredients. However, we do not put the symbol on items that are obviously vegetarian – like butter or cereal, as we feel this is unnecessary.

I have arranged for a copy of our last vegan list to be sent to you. Please be aware that this was last updated in November 2002 so some items may have been discontinued. I am sorry to advise that this guide is no longer being produced, as we did not have many requests for this guide. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you are ever in doubt please check the allergy guide printed on the packaging. Alternatively, call our Careline free on 0800 636262 between the hours of 8am top 7pm Monday to Saturday. My colleagues there will be happy to confirm if the product you have purchased is suitable for your diet.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. I hope this information is useful to you.

Kind regards,

Jennifer Frost
    Sainsbury's Customer Services
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Re: Sainsburys & The Vegan Products List - ACT NOW ! for change

I had already contacted them about a list. At least they do label some stuff. At least one of their organic wines is labelled.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Tiggerwoo

I'll be emailing them. The point in your email with them saying they label vegan products already when there is any doubt is rubbish, as there were a couple of products I nearly bought the other day, yet luckily checked...... Silly things like their lentil soup and vegetable soups now have milk in....... why?

We unfortunately have to use Sainsbury's too, although if we can get it elsewhere we try, and we do go to farmer's markets etc where possible. I've actually been pleasently surprised since becoming Vegan this year at how good Sainsbury's are a labelling what is vegan. I don't think any other supermarket do this do they? We buy just about everything organic so it may just be that a higher proportion of their organic stuff is vegan? I'll certainly email them with a request for a vegan product list, if you think it'll help
    Hannah x

sugarmouse

i use saisburys aswell...it is closest to me.i wil write to them
    but yes lord sainsbury i remember readin that he was pro HLS and feelin guilty as sin

I will email them as well, i to have shopped at sainsburys but now shop at booths, they have started a vegan section at the store near me it is good to know that some places are trying...

I've emailed them too although I rarely shop there anymore .

Oh, and if you wanted to add to your email that they should please remove the recipe containing Taleggio cheese from their vegan recipes list. I have emailed them several times, and each time they said they would remove it.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Quote snaffler
    I am not a massive fan of Sainsbury...
    I recently emailed them and asked of they produce a list of Vegan & Vegetarian products which also include beers and wines.....

Below is the reply, they say their is no demand for it......

If anyone has to use Sainsbury please please please all take a moment and contact them via their online site https://online.sainsburysbank.co.uk/...ContactUs.aspx contact form and all start requesting or asking is they have this list ! enough demand will make them produce it again I am sure. The list was not just drinks this is food as well !
    Damn straight!!!!!!! Lets show 'em the demand.
    I'm looking forward to their response.
    This link might be more direct...
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/contactus/contactus.htm

Great. Keep the pressure up!
    I recently got this response:

I am sorry you are unhappy with our decision to no longer produce a list of wines that are suitable for vegans. However, I am pleased to advise you that we are currently in the process of adding vegetarian and vegan labels to our own brand wines. This will make it easier for our customers to find a suitable wine.

that's good to know about the wine labelling.

If we share emails we can spot which is cut and pasted and which is hand written. Although, it's fairly obvious anyway

I wrote to them a little while ago to ask why there have 2 types of vegetarian labelling on new products (one which does state vegan, one which doesn't). The answer wasn't particularly helpful, but there ya go........

---

Thank you for your email. I understand you would like some information about the dietary information on our packaging.

We are committed to making it as easy as possible for our customers to make an informed choice. We want everyone to be fully aware of what they are eating, especially if there is a risk of an allergic reaction. It was for this reason that we developed a range of clear, factual labels and symbols so our customers can make a quick decision.

For example, our healthy balance symbol means we have limited the amount of added sugar, salt and fat, particularly saturated fat. The ‘suitable for vegetarians’ symbol indicates that the food is suitable for those vegetarians whose diet still includes milk and eggs. Our other symbols help to guide customers with particular food allergies and special dietary needs.

To make sure there is no confusion about which products are suitable for vegans we do label our products with this information, whenever there might be room for doubt.

Please access out website www.sainsburys.co.uk. From the homepage please follow the links food ideas, special diets, vegans and onto suitable recipes. Here you will find a lot of useful information including some recipes that you may like to try and links to other useful websites.

Thank you for your email. I do hope you will continue to shop with us in the future and find the labeling of our own brand product helpful when buying your food.

Well I have emailed them see what they get back with.

I'll post the reply
    "Eating responsibly at McDonald's is like going to a strip club for iced tea."

I've emailed them too, even though I never shop there anymore if I can help it.

Default Re: Supermarket labelling?

I just sent Sainsburys a message, I went shopping yesterday and got so flipping frustrated!! Simple things like pickle aren't labelled, and I didn't want to buy something which is labelled vegetarian, because this could either mean its not suitable for vegans or it is and we just think you can work it our for yourselves. AARRGGG!!!

sainsburys is becoming annoying with their labelling. Of course they do have a website listing their products you could use to make vegan recipies but surely it cant be hard to just have a simple logo or somthing that means vegan. What about different coloured V's for vege or vegan? Im sure as long things sell they dont care.

Tescos bakery is really difficult in their labeling. Some breads dont even have an ingredients list. Im sure half of their breads are unsuitable for vegans, perhaps the best bet is to ask their bakery's for are allergen list, that way we can easily rule off certain breads as been suitable.

http://www.isitvegan.info/ This link is great nobody ever makes comments on it.

I got this very prompt reply from Sainsburys:

Thank you for your email about product labelling for customers following a vegan diet.
    I am delighted to let you know that we operate a simple easy to follow policy when it comes to the labelling of foods which are suitable for vegans. If a product is suitable, we will label it as so. Should a product be unsuitable or has the risk of cross contamination, it will not be labelled.
    If you believe that a product should be labelled as vegan which currently is not, I would be grateful if you could let us know. We will then check the product again with the suppliers and make any necessary amendments to the labelling.
    You may be interested to know that we do have a wealth of information for vegans on our website, including meal and recipe ideas. To access this information, simply visit www.sainsburys.co.uk and click on the ‘Food Ideas’ and follow the ‘Special Diets’ link.
    I do hope the above information is useful. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write. Your comments are valuable as they help us get things right.

Well off the top of my head I remember strawberry jam and pickle being labelled as vegetarian and not vegan, and I am certain that these would be vegan, wouldn't they?