Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Sainsburys

Quote Cumin View Post
    FYI. One Sainsburys I visit sells Island Delight Carribbean veg patties. They are labelled by the Veg Society but I didn't know if they were vegan - until today ! I just spoke to them and they confirmed that they were vegan.
    I just spotted these in Tesco recently so I emailed to check their suitability.

Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail regarding our Vegetable Patties.

After consultation with our Production Manager, I can confirm that our Vegetable patties are approved by the Vegetarian Society but NOT the Vegan Society.

The Vegan Society’s criteria for approval is that food products shouldn’t contain a) animal ingredients, b) animal derived ingredients or c) possible animal derived ingredients. Our vegetable patties contain two ingredients that fall under the “possibly animal derived” criteria set out by the Vegan Society. They are :

E472(e) - mono and diacetyltartaric acid esters of glycerides of fatty acids

E920 - L-cysteine hydrochloride

I hope this answers your query.

Default Re: Sainsbury's

Quote helen105281 View Post
    They have done that now in our one too, and mixed all the free from stuff in. So there are gluten free sausage rolls (meat ones) in with the veggie stuff.
    Yea, I had a nasty shock when I picked up some Free From Chicken Nuggets in the vegetarian freezer - I expected them to contain egg but not chicken!
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/food/sa...this+month.htm

Apparently this month's Sainsbury's magazine challenges preconceptions about vegans - I'm going to pick up a copy today, but am cautiously hopeful of a positive article!
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Interesting.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

helen105281

We are off to Sainsburys tonight so will be buying (and throwing across the room in frustration if it annoys me).

I read it a few days ago and thought it was positive on the whole. What annoyed me was the bit about "choosing" veganism as and when you please, i.e. live vegan most of the time and then have meat at a BBQ, for example. Completely misses the point that it's not just about what you eat.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

I thought the article was pretty good- really liked the way they had chosen outfits from vegan companies to be photographed in, which gave those companies (like Beyond Skin) more exposure. Thought it was a bit OTT in the "my life has changed forever, it's like I've found God" aspect of the article.

helen105281

I thought it was good too, didn't like the bits about flexitarianism etc as that always winds me up. Also was mostly focussed on the healthy aspect of vegansim whereas I am in it for the animals but I suppose they can't really focus on that.

I agree with the comments above - think they focused a wee bit too much on the health aspect to make anyone dive headfirst into veganism for anything other than health reasons, but I do like the "so you think you know what a vegan looks like...." approach - i.e. trying to challenge the stereotype....

I have to admit I haven't looked at the rest of the mag yet, but think they missed a trick with not having a vegan recipe section (linked to their products, etc). Or was there one and I missed it?
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

helen105281

I thought the same thing, there weren't any vegan recipes and they missed a perfect opportunity to include some. I think there was one salad recipe that may have been vegan by default. The rest of the magazine wasn't great.

Does anybody know if Sainsbury's is still stocking Whole Earths Swiss Museli? When I went shopping last..they had none. Thanks

^They're still selling it online, so it's probably available in stores too.

Thanks Enchantress, I'll have to ask when I'm next in Sainsbury's.

Anyone got any old bars of sainsbury's free from chocolate? The ones in the yellow wrappers? My local Sainsburys stopped stocking them, I thought they were gone forever but no, they are back in unattractive green wrappers, and HALF the size for the same price 85p!!! It's now 30 poxy grams!

It's an outrage.

pavotrouge

meh. I think coop does similar one, though, will check later.
    Apparently Sainsbury's Magazine has a vegan feature in their current issue

Apparently you didn't read the thread before posting
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

pavotrouge

apparently I was procrastinating and not reading properly a little bit waaaaaay after my lunchbreak

friendly fri

I posted a letter to these people last September asking for cruelty free cosmetics and Swedish glace.No joy but i used the 5 pound voucher they sent me , to stock up on their cheap soya milk.
    :D :)

Here's the latest Sainsbury's vegan list. For those with excellent eyesight or a good magnifying glass.

http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdon...nsJuly2010.pdf

^ Thanks, will look through that later.

It's a pdf file so you can zoom in using the controls at the top of the screen.

^ I know. I'm jesting, my good man

leedsveg

Why does Sainsburys 250g cocoa get mentioned a thousand times in the list?

lv

To prove a point I reckon, like the FREE FROM CHOCOLATE SELECTION BOX, all in caps - Their version of an exclamation mark

Thank you Jimmeh!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

It's quite a respectable list, isn't it, even allowing for the duplication.

Are "ambient salad dressings" like a cross between a salad dressing and an air freshener, I wonder? (Or just ones that can be kept at room temperature )

Not real name!

I see that they've removed their own-brand vegetable gravy. They did say it was still vegan but I've had my doubts for some time. Bunch o' goofs.

friendly fri

One seriously objectionable thing about Sainsburys is the way they leave bread for sale on the day it states must be eaten before.No reduction, and its a disgrace.
    :D :)

i asked about this friend, and they wait until a certain time in the day before reducing it.

Not real name!

Why is Sainsbury meatfree mince not on their vegan list or labelled as suitable?

I keep checking the ingredients and can't see anything immediately wrong. Any ideas?

I got fabulous fudge factory vanilla fudge from sainsburys yesterday! I was so excited to see it there that I did a dance in front of some suprised people. I've allready eaten both bags that I brought
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Whereabouts in Sainsburys was this fudge? Was it in the Free From section? OMG I need to know! I haven't eaten fudge for years

The Fabulous Fudge Factory fudge is available in larger Holland and Barretts. It is good.

*reaches for piece of fudge*
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Yes, the free from section It was quite a large branch of sainsburys also. Around here the smaller ones never stock anything decent! I was quite impressed by the fudge actually, although the texture is more like toffee, the taste is nice and it's a fine alternative.
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

cobweb

Oh yes I bought some in the Sainsburys at Truro last week. Actually I still haven't eaten it!.

My local Sainsbury's has dairy free advent calendars in the free from section if anyone is looking for one for children (or themselves!). It was quite small and priced at £1.99. Silly thing was, I had just ordered one online from Moo for my daughter and spent over £4 on the calendar and over £4 on the postage! To be fair though, hers is bigger and has a cute hamster on the front

Quote VeganZee View Post
    My local Sainsbury's has dairy free advent calendars in the free from section if anyone is looking for one for children (or themselves!). It was quite small and priced at £1.99. Silly thing was, I had just ordered one online from Moo for my daughter and spent over £4 on the calendar and over £4 on the postage! To be fair though, hers is bigger and has a cute hamster on the front
    An advent calendar with a hamster on!! I want to get this for my sister, she flippin loves hamsters.

I love moo free chocolate! I think I'd spend the extra £6 getting one of those anyway

does anyone know if sainsbury's own brand soap powder and fabric conditioner are vegan. I checked the albel and couldn't see that it was labelled vegan or of if the products contained any animal ingredients or were on fact tested on animals. I've only just started shopping there so i want to make sure. There is a co op i could go to but it's quite a drive so as Sainsburys is closer i would prefer to buy my household products if i could.

Quote mecocat View Post
    does anyone know if sainsbury's own brand soap powder and fabric conditioner are vegan.
    They're not. Sainsbury's household products have not been approved by Naturewatch's compationate guide, because they've not got a fixed cut-off date (FCOD) for animal testing. Sainsbury's toiletries are approved as they have a FCOD, but this health & beauty specifies nothing about ingredient, which is why I won't buy.

I tend to buy my household products from Co-Op: nothing is tested on animals and most of it is vegan (i.e. apart from their non-ecological fabric conditioners, the rest is vegan).

Otherwise, if I want more specific products (harder to find), I order online from Astonish ( http://shop.astonishcleaners.com/ ) or the Vegan Store ( http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=700 ).

If you can find either the Method or Stardrops brands of household products in supermarkets, they're also vegan.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

Don't buy the in-store bakery breads of Sainsbury's. I phoned them once and asked their ingredients. They put dairy in nearly all the breads they make. Some of their (other) more packaged (non-instore) commercial breads are vegan though, if it says it on the package.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

leedsveg

Thanks for the warning Maggie.

lv

Quote beanstew View Post
    The Fabulous Fudge Factory fudge is available in larger Holland and Barretts. It is good.

*reaches for piece of fudge*
    But in Sainsbury's it's much cheaper! A wholefoods shop in Canterbury also has that fudge but it costs almost 4 pounds here, so I am really happy when Sainsbury's has this fudge in stock.

Not sure how old this is but it nearly caught me out the other day

Sainsbury’s labelling policy

Quote fatvegan View Post
    Not sure how old this is but it nearly caught me out the other day

Sainsbury’s labelling policy
    I know - this has made me exceedingly angry, as I was caught out a number of times. Luckily I do a double-check on each product, but I have to now re-tell my friends who I had previously told not to get the one with the leaf, get the one with the V.

Need to compose an email toot sweet

Email sent!
    Last edited by pusskins; Nov 19th, 2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Update - email sent!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

leedsveg

Wow! Just one fresh soup = minestrone. How imaginative.

Also thanks to them for pointing out that red meat, fish, eggs, milk ie the full-cruelty range, are important sources of blah, blah. blah and the vegan, alternative sources are nowhere near as rich in blah, blah, blah.

lv

Ha ha, I noticed that too - very annoying and inappropriate! The labelling is frustrating me. Why did they need to change it? And if a change was really necessary, why does the vegetarian V not say 'vegetarian' under it, like the vegan V says 'vegan' under it. That would have been much clearer for everyone.

I have not noticed that yet, but I'm sure that I will soon enough. Thanks.

leedsveg

Hi Est

They obviously aren't bothered at all about confusing/annoying veggies and vegans.

lv

Sainsbury's have changed the recipe on their Moroccan Houmous, and it now contains honey. My BF was very upset after eating half the tub!
    I wish they could put that in the allergen list, but I guess no one is actually allergic to honey...?

Oh my! I'm sorry to hear that, Troutina. Was there not even a label saying "New and improved" or something like that on the packaging?

Got an email back from Sainsbury's, saying they need to "investigate (my) query a little further". Well! Hopefully hear from them soon.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."