Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Sainsburys

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i bought some of the FreeFrom shortcake the other day but i haven't tried it yet. i did notice that as part of their rebranding, they seem to have copied a lot of products and are now selling them under their own brand. for example, the Sweet William chocolate bars, and the Livwell cherry bakewells and apple pies, have all disappeared and they now only have their own brand equivalent in my local shop, and they look exactly the same as the old products. they're selling the new own brand products at the same price as the old brands, so they get more of the profit. typical supermarket tactics really...
    They have reformulated them, though, removing the harmful hydrogenated fats. On the downside, they now contain palm oil....

Nearly forgot....

The shortcake taste nice and are very melt in the mouth. They smell cheesy, though

Quote Pob
    They have reformulated them, though, removing the harmful hydrogenated fats. On the downside, they now contain palm oil....
    you win some, you lose some, i guess...

i tried the shortcake the other day. it is really nice. i could eat a whole pack in one go
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The shortcake are really nice, think I am going to experiment baking with soya flour.... The chocolate chip cookies and the sultana cookies are OK as well, though are very crunchy like the Doves Farm ones.

Spotted what I have been waiting for at Sainsburys - some New Caramelised Onion Houmous! V.tasty (I've noticed it at Asda and Tesco before but never Sainsburys) Oh, and its labelled suitable for Vegans too.

Veryblue2

Have been shopping in Sainsburys for ages now. Seem to prefer it to the other supermarkets for some reason. But what on earth is HLS?

Demon

Huntingdon Life Sciences - the biggest and most horrible contract animal testing laboratory in the UK.

Quote Demon View Post
    All this talk of shortcake, I just had to go out and get some - nice!

I did notice though that Bourbons have been rebranded and don't say vegan any more.

My branch didn;t have the 'basics' mince pies either but I did notice the 'basics' xmas pud is labelled vegan.
    I noticed that as well, though I think they actually are, they have just labelled them veggie because of the cross contamination thing

Quote Gorilla View Post
    you win some, you lose some, i guess...

i tried the shortcake the other day. it is really nice. i could eat a whole pack in one go
    I do eat a whole packet in one go!
    Come on, it's only nine teeny cookies!

Quote Pob View Post
    Nearly forgot....

The shortcake taste nice and are very melt in the mouth. They smell cheesy, though
    i hadn't noticed until you said that Pob, but then i smelt one the other day and you're right, they do!!! maybe that's why my cat likes them

Quote Troutina
    I do eat a whole packet in one go!
    Come on, it's only nine teeny cookies!
    LOL Troutina, i've put on a bit of weight recently so best i don't eat them all at once!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I've had to stop buying them 0.o
    I musn't eat any more shortbread... -plans next shopping trip-
    Damn they're addictive
    ~xx

Here's something interesting that I need to verify.

Does anybody know what that calcium stuff they put in tins of chick peas, haricot beans etc is? They add a couple of random ingredients to those tins of food in Waitrose too. (I assume it acts as a preservative?)

Interestingly though, they're not even labeled as suitable for vegetarians. The organic ones however, *are* labeled as suitable for vegetarians and vegans, but they do *not* contain this calcium ingredient.

Anyone know more about this? It makes me paranoid that cheap tinned beans/veg etc aren't veggie

It's calcium chloride.

I'd never thought of that. But it can be used to curdle tofu, too, so I would think it would be vegan.

Yeah, I checked in the supermarket just now.

"Firming Agent: Calcium Chloride"

It's in the tinned veggies that aren't organic. But why are the organic ones marked as vegan and not the others? That makes me *very* paranoid.

-emails sainsburys-

from: http://www.foodreactions.org/allergy/additives/500.html
    (This is a very useful website. Used to have a full list of E-numbers and indicated their source as animal or not, but it's been changed recently.)

Calcium Chloride - also known as E509. Derived from Brine.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

According to;http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cliffor...additives.html
    It's not derived from animals, i'm still dubious :/
    Maybe i'm paranoid

Edit; Ooops, just saw Cumin already posted. Sorry!

brine is salt water isn't it??

Yes.

i tried the Free From chocolate chip cookies and sultana cookies, they're both very coconutty and i thought the sultana cookies tasted very salty. i prefer the choc chip ones i think.

The 'Sainsbury's is dropping vegan labelling' topic has its own thread now http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13288 , leaving this one for all other questions and queries etc.

i've found my local Sainsburys often run out of Rice Dream with calcium but always have loads of the non-calcium added one. i bought a carton of Sainsburys' own brand rice milk last time i was in there to see what it's like (it's fortified with calcium and vitamins), it's nothing like Rice Dream. i thought it was really sickly and reminded me of Alpro Lite (which i don't like), maybe they use the same flavourings.

Don't ever get Sainsburys basics Soya Milk...EWW!
    It's like 90% water!!

Most brands are 7% beans, 93% water. The only exception I have seen is the Plamil one which is 14% beans, and the So Good one that uses protein isolate instead of whole beans.

My favourite is still the Asda organic one, or Granose organic one.

Oh.
    Haha.
    Well this one tasted of water, lets leave it at that

My fave is Alpro but now and then I do like So Good with Omega 3.
    Don't hate...educate!

The only soya I really like is Alpro Unsweetened Fortified. I need to try other non soy milks.

Quote marrers View Post
    Email from Sainsbury's (dated 27/11/06)
    . . . our supplier produces these products (Not Just For Vegetarians) in a meat free factory with a dairy segregation. However, we decided not to flash the vegan logo as the area was not dairy free. We are reviewing this and will look into the possibility of flashing the products that are suitable for vegans. Please see the list of products below which details suitable for vegans.

Vegetarian Chilli & Rice
    Vegetable Casserole with dumplings
    Jambalaya
    Vegetable Terriyaki
    Bulgar Wheat Pilaff
    Bean & Vegetable Casserole
    Vegetable Tagine and Cous Cous
    Malaysian Vegetable Curry with Noodles.

I hope this information is helpful to you and that any of the above products are suitable for you. Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us. Your comments are very welcome.
    Kind regards
    Michaela Dickens
    Sainsbury's Customer Services
    Quote vegandrummersam View Post
    I checked those out in my local Savacentre and I think it was the Casserole that had milk in it.
    ... Anyway, still read the labels.
    Yes I checked today and the Casserole with Dumplings contains milk.
    I will email Sainsbury's - concerning that they are giving misleading info. If things were labelled properly we would not have rely on word of mouth like this.

The salt&vinegar twirls now have milk in them.
    sjod$%#nfkfni###@@$#$^!!%YT%$^^.

Quote vegandrummersam View Post
    The only soya I really like is Alpro Unsweetened Fortified. I need to try other non soy milks.
    Hi vegan drummer,

I used to have alpro all the time but I read soya milk is after all not too good for you so now I have oatly and as long as you shake it well before drinking or putting in cereal/tea/coffee, it is really good!

What's wrong with soya milk Manzana? It seems that everything these days isn't good for you
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 24th, 2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: saving the thread going wayyy off topic, see http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626&page=9
    Don't hate...educate!

Phoned up to see if the Sainbury's Basics potato waffles were vegan. I was initially told that they weren't because they had milk in them, which seemed weird because there was no mention of anything milky in the ingredients or any allergy info, but I've just had a phone call and apparently the Basics ones are vegan, although the ordinary Sainsbury's brand potato waffles have milk in and that was where the confusion lay.

The Basic ones are only labelled as suitable for vegetarians - did they say if the labelling would be amended?

Does anyone know why their dark belgium chocolate says 'not suitable for vegetarians or vegans cos of the process in which it is made' yet it doens't appear to contain any animal ingredients?
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Quote rianaelf View Post
    Does anyone know why their dark belgium chocolate says 'not suitable for vegetarians or vegans cos of the process in which it is made' yet it doens't appear to contain any animal ingredients?
    Whaaat?!
    This is getting ridicolous?!

maybe it means that beyond normal allergy advice where contamination can be caused in very extreme cases, in this case they actully do no cleaning between batches and use all the same stuff.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

After discussing this with Sainsbury's I believe that the company may be referring to the possibility of cross contamination with animal-product nasties. To err on the side of caution for those who do not want to consume animal products at all, such labels might start appearing.
    You have to remember that Sainsbury's does not actually manufacture any of its own brand products, all are produced on Sainsbury's behalf. This might lead to variations in standards. So it comes down to trust.
    Myself, for what it's worth, I'm trusting the brand less and less...

Regards
    Phibes

I'm pretty much completely given up shopping at Sainsburys.
    Most supermarkets in fact.
    Its so much nicer, the food is better&sometimes cheaper, and staff are friendlier!

Lilac Hamster

Where do you shop if not in a supermarket?

I am genuinely curious how we can realisticly avoid them.

Of course we also shop in health food shops but there are some things (many things) we find we need the supermarket for, almost on a daily basis with three kids, and in our case where we live it is almost always Sainsburys as we don't drive so have to use our nearest food stores most of the time.

I have tried smaller shops for basic foods like bread or pasta but find some of the small grocery corner shops are pretty dodgy and unprofessional actually! They don't generally give you a receipt and they often overcharge, do not always charge what they state on the shelf, and make no end of mistakes which does not happen in a supermarket where you get a proper receipt and they deal with mistakes properly. I've had to pull them up on overcharging me so many times in my small local Costcutters and have almost given up going there as I really do not need the hassle. They are not a proper supermarket and very unprofessional, and actually where we live the cashiers in Sainsbury's seem nicer than some of the people running small corner shops!

I know all the supermarkets are butchers, which is bad, but then WE only increase the demand vegan food from them, so while I feel it would be nice to support vegan and veggie shops if you are lucky enough to have one in your area, I tend to prefer Sainsburys/Tesco/Waitrose to a lot of the smaller grocery shops which are worse in the way they treat you.

Also the trouble with going to bakery shops for fresh bread is that you have to ask about if the bread is vegan, they don't label usually. I am willing to ask and question what is vegan when I have to but to be honest sometimes I prefer to avoid the hassle of having to give detailed explanations to someone behind the counter who is nearly always ignorant about veganism, I prefer to be able to just read a list of ingredients not have to give someone the vegan Spanish Inquisition.

I also prefer Sainsbury's because they have security people! I've been in dodgy corner shops where people have come in smoking unchallenged which has caused me to cough and get ill! This would not happen in a large supermarket as no-one dares to go in there smoking.

fortunately it's really easy to avoid supermarkets in Brighton.

i'm really sick of Sainsbury's labelling now. i just don't understand it and repeated emails don't seem to be getting through to them. i saw a box of lovely-looking dairy-free chocolates (like a proper box of individual chocolates) and they didn't even say 'vegetarian' on them, let alone vegan. despite a couple of possibly suspect ingredients such as 'natural flavouring' they seemed ok, but why didn't they label them? i'm going to email them yet again, but i'm losing interest in this now when the only thing they have going for them now is being cheaper than the wholefood stores.

Well in my personal situation, I buy all my fruit and veg at a market [SO cheap!!], I buy tofu, houmous, sweets, cosmetics, shampoos etc at Food For Thought [health foodstore] or Holland&Barrett. Then I buy bakery things [crumpets, pitta bread, bagels etc] and rice at Waitrose, which is pretty much the only supermarket I buy other things at. I think that its a much nicer place to shop, and they support local trade fairly often- but I'm not saying they're angels!

Quote Troutina View Post
    Well in my personal situation, I buy all my fruit and veg at a market [SO cheap!!], I buy tofu, houmous, sweets, cosmetics, shampoos etc at Food For Thought [health foodstore] or Holland&Barrett. Then I buy bakery things [crumpets, pitta bread, bagels etc] and rice at Waitrose, which is pretty much the only supermarket I buy other things at. I think that its a much nicer place to shop, and they support local trade fairly often- but I'm not saying they're angels!
    do you know if the food for thought in kingston is related to the covent garden restaurant? i've always wondered...

out of all the supermarkets, waitrose is definately the best. they have a lot environmentally sound policies, and the food is of a better quality. but i find the it's also a bit expensive for me....

i buy my fruit and veg at a local market when i can get there on a sunday, but the past couple of weeks i've just been too busy to get down there before 3pm (when things start winding down) and have ended up in sainsbury's. i get things like rice and tofu from there. i always mean to go to dandelion in clapham, but it's a half hour walk and i kind of forget....

amanda

Random fact: both Waitrose and Asda's own brand foods (beans etc) are produced by the same manufacturer, so sometimes you're not getting more/better quality for what you are paying!

(I got told this by my best friends sister and brother in law who are managers there)
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

Quote flying plum View Post
    do you know if the food for thought in kingston is related to the covent garden restaurant? i've always wondered...

out of all the supermarkets, waitrose is definately the best. they have a lot environmentally sound policies, and the food is of a better quality. but i find the it's also a bit expensive for me....

i buy my fruit and veg at a local market when i can get there on a sunday, but the past couple of weeks i've just been too busy to get down there before 3pm (when things start winding down) and have ended up in sainsbury's. i get things like rice and tofu from there. i always mean to go to dandelion in clapham, but it's a half hour walk and i kind of forget....

amanda
    I don't know I'm afraid!

Just bought veg samosa's which are now back to being labelled vegan along with the onion bhajis. I think Sainsbury's are finally getting their act together now (if rather slowly). I'm sure there will be certain issues regarding packaging turnover/reprints to take into account which will affect how quickly things get back to the way they were.

Quote Ara View Post
    Random fact: both Waitrose and Asda's own brand foods (beans etc) are produced by the same manufacturer, so sometimes you're not getting more/better quality for what you are paying!

(I got told this by my best friends sister and brother in law who are managers there)
    Yes, but ASDA is owned by Wal-Mart! I don't want to give my money to Wal-Mart

True! But us poor students don't really have a choice and it's nice to know you're getting some of the nicer stuff sometimes lol
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

When I was a student I don't think I'd heard of ethics in the context of shopping so you're already miles ahead of me, Ara.

A friend of mine is keen on Lidl but we don't have one round here - anyone tried it? Not sure that they're particularly hot on ethics but I believe they're very inexpensive.

Yeah Lidl (and Aldi!) are two of my regular supermarkets as well lol, one of them (can't remember which one...) is good for labeling their one brand alcohol as suitable for vegetarians and then saying if it's got milk or egg products in it as well, so quite handy really! Plus cheap as anything

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this but why on earth have sainsbury's decided to put shellac on all their flippin hot cross buns?

I think it's on the currants. It seems to be the norm for all their currant containing bread products. It's pointless enough glazing currants in the first place, let alone when they are then embedded in bread

I think it's more likely to be the glazing on top. We got some tea cakes which were labelled as vegan instead. They only seem to have a few token pieces of dried fruit in tho!