Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Sainsburys

i know on the 'be good to yourself' ones, i think it's the lemon bits as well. someone bought them for me, and they're just sitting in the freezer now for my omni flatmate on her return.

amanda

Quote cookey View Post
    I think it's more likely to be the glazing on top. We got some tea cakes which were labelled as vegan instead. They only seem to have a few token pieces of dried fruit in tho!
    were they the 'Basics' ones? i bought them because they were labelled vegan but they're really stingy on the dried fruit.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Those are the ones Gorilla. Basically white rolls with one or two raisins in! I'm perfectly capable of making bread so I don't know why I don't just do my own!

I prefer tea cakes anyway

And the coop ones were marked vegan by mistake... I got very ill. I can only imagine they had egg in them.

Quote aubergine View Post
    I prefer tea cakes anyway

And the coop ones were marked vegan by mistake... I got very ill. I can only imagine they had egg in them.
    I bought some co-op ones today. I thought that surely they still wouldn't be mis-labelled by now. But then when we decided to check and phoned up the freephone number, they're still not vegan. They're now in the freezer waiting for an ovo-lacto to visit later this month.

In response to a previous posting, the co-op fruit teacakes have more than just a few bits of fruit in them. I put some water icing on top of some, and they made excellent iced fruit buns.

Quote cookey View Post
    Those are the ones Gorilla. Basically white rolls with one or two raisins in! I'm perfectly capable of making bread so I don't know why I don't just do my own!
    I can't make soft bread/buns, anything I cook has a hard crust. Any pointers?

Sorry can't help Ross, mine always turn out hard crusted as well!

Anyone still looking for an alternative to vegan-unfriendly hot cross buns / value 'minimal current' teacakes should try the taste the difference cranberry and sultana seeded loaf. It's quite expensive (has some money off at the moment), but it's delicious and even better toasted.

Has any one else tried the new raspberry and blueberry sorbet yet? It's very very nice

(Oh, and both are labelled suitable for vegans!)

Veryblue2

Quote aubergine View Post
    And the coop ones were marked vegan by mistake...
    WHAAAAAT?

I didn't know that - I made a special effort to get some from co-op after someone said they were okay on a thread here.

im now worried about co op buns! we have had the fruit tea cakes - they were not 'hot cross buns' but fruit teacakes or something - said ok for vegans on - interesting i did wonder why my stomach had been playing up on odd occasions it could well link to that!

The one thing that was sure to upset my system as a veggie was egg - as im very intollerant to them.....

So no ore co op fruit buns here then

And the notice is still up in my local Co-op

Went to a big Sainsbury's in my friend's car half an hour before their closing time and got bargain flowers!

Big bunch of 3 different colours of tulips, was 6.99, reduced to 39p, gorgeous smelling purple sweet peas, were 2.99, reduced to 20p, pink hyacinths, I think were 3.99, reduced to 29p.

Also, they had sorbet marked "NEW!" (and vegan) which is raspberry and blueberry swirl. I've got a bowlful in front of me now, and it's very tasty, and beautiful to look at

I agree twinkle the raspberry and blueberry sorbet is divine! It's much more expensive than the other sorbets though, the same price as Swedish Glace in fact! and it's a smaller tub

Any one else spotted the new Sainsburys vegetable dunkers, nut cutlets and spicy bean burgers? All labelled suitable for vegans!

I am super happy about the vegetable dunkers, they are just like the vegetable fingers I was missing (albeit different shaped). The nut cutlets aren't so nice though, I prefer the Goodlife ones. Haven't tried the bean burgers as they have peppers in . Does anyone know of any brand of vegan bean burgers that don't have red/green peppers in?

They seem to have replaced the realeat mince with Sainsburys own brand which is only labelled vegetarian though...

Veryblue2

Thanks for that Veryblue2 I've also been missing veggie fingers. Looks like I'll be off to sainsburys at the weekend for some vegetable dunkers then.

The vegetable fingers are ok for a change, but I don't think I'll buy them again soon. The sorbet is good and cheaper than the M&S raspberry (that I used to buy before i started boycotting them this time last year).

I had some tabbouleh and sunblush salad this lunchtime. Quite nice, but I counted enough pieces of tomato to re-assemble less than one cherry tomato in total.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

FYI. One Sainsburys I visit sells Island Delight Carribbean veg patties. They are labelled by the Veg Society but I didn't know if they were vegan - until today ! I just spoke to them and they confirmed that they were vegan.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

sainsburys bin plastic bags for a day:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/2007041...l-a7ad41d.html

Mums just had an 'allergy alert' from allergy today mailing list which says Sainsburys raspberry easter egg which was labelled dairy free was wrong - it does contain milk protein

If anyone has one Sainsburys will refund them.

Not good

Bollocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and Stu devoured one of those between the two of us .

On second thoughts. I wonder if the dairy was an actual ingredient, or if there was just a possibility of cross contamination, which could be a problem for people with severe dairy allergies. *Hopes for the latter*.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Enchantress.

I didn't actually notice those being marked "dairy free" as such, just that they were dark chocolate and there was nothing saying they did contain dairy on the allergy panel. I was tempted by these but ended up having far too much chocolate left over from my egg making experiments

Just checking it more for you on the allergy site - it could well be the case - just a risk of cross contamination i think?

found this on the site:

Sainsbury's Basics brand plain Chocolate 100g

Sainsbury have withdrawn their own Basic Brand Plain Chocolate 100g (All dates codes) due to cross-contamination with milk. There is no advisory labelling on the product to warn consumers of this possibility.

Allergy uk do have a helpline - The Allergy Helpline: - 01322 619898
    The Helpline operates from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Mum gets posted alerts before i get emails from them, we both got these following intollerance/allergy blood tests we had,

Heres the dairy allergen alerts links:
    http://www.allergyuk.org/alert_dairy.aspx

It seems to list items from major retailers - wish they had had published this one before easter

Quote pineapple77 View Post
    Thanks for that Veryblue2 I've also been missing veggie fingers. Looks like I'll be off to sainsburys at the weekend for some vegetable dunkers then.
    Asda own brand vegetable fingers are vegan, and very nice too if you're looking for some fingers
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

i'm sure i've avoided buying sainsbury's ownbrand dark chocolate before due to the risk of cross contamination...but maybe it was something else i looked at.

amanda

These vegetable fingers in Sainsburys and Asda - are they in the frozen section or are they in the fridge?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Frozen vegetarian area in our Asda - makes a yummy sarnie filling

Yeah, the Sainsburys ones are in the frozen section as well.

After numerous emails I couldn't get Asda to properly confirm that their own brand veggie fingers were vegan or find out why they are not on their vegan list if they are suitable. See this thread: http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...e+fingers+asda It could be just cross contamination issues, but I was concerned that they might use egg (like dalepak and birdseye) to bind the breadcrumb coating.

Anyhow, when I actually went to see if I could check the label in person and pester the help counter people at my local store they only had the birdseye not the Asda own brand anyway...

The Sainsburys ones are actually labelled suitable for vegans.

Veryblue2

Quote Cumin View Post
    FYI. One Sainsburys I visit sells Island Delight Carribbean veg patties. They are labelled by the Veg Society but I didn't know if they were vegan - until today ! I just spoke to them and they confirmed that they were vegan.
    I've never seen them... have you tried them yet? Are they nice?

Hmmm... there does seem to be a difference in what each store stocks. For example, I didn't know that they sell the Dragonfly Beanys and Soysages. I only happened to venture into the store nearer my work (rather than the normal one near home) to pick up some salad and stuff and caught them out of the corner of my eye, by the houmous of all places! Soysages are so good

Veryblue2

Quote Cumin View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for finding out

I love Patties. I had many a flavourful journey home from school via the Jamaican Takeaway.

FYI - not sure why they call them Patties though, as they look just like as Pastie.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I would imagine it's a dialect thing as they seem to be a West Indian take on a Cornish Pasty

the last couple of days i've been lazy so bought the vegetable dunkers, spicy beanburgers and raspberry and blueberry sorbet from Sainsburys. they're all quite good. the burgers seem very similar to Wetherspoon's veggie burgers.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Ara View Post
    Asda own brand vegetable fingers are vegan, and very nice too if you're looking for some fingers
    Thanks Ara, I used to get them when I was a veggie so its nice to know I can still eat them.

I tried the Sainsburys vegetable dunkers today and wasn't too impressed.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I can confirm that the raspberry/blueberry sorbet is very nice blended with bubbly.

In less exciting new the nut cutlets seem to be indentical to those that tesco have been selling for years.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    . . . In less exciting news . . .
    Lol
    All food news is exciting!

bless you for correcting my typo in your quote

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I can confirm that the raspberry/blueberry sorbet is very nice blended with bubbly.
    now there's an idea!

We usually use mango sorbet, sparkling wine and frozen berries in a smoothie machine, which seems to work quite well. Approx 1 bottle wine, 1 tub sorbet and a good couple of handfuls fruit.

Now we've this though the next combination trial will be peaches instead of frozen fruit (melba)

LizzieB

Default Re: Sainsburys & The Vegan Products List - ACT NOW ! for change

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    i use saisburys aswell...it is closest to me.i wil write to them
    but yes lord sainsbury i remember readin that he was pro HLS and feelin guilty as sin
    I do apologise for seeming a bit dumb but what is pro HLS?

HLS is Huntington Life Sciences. If you Google that you'll get more info.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

LizzieB

sainsburys are pro HLS - in what way?

Lord Sainsbury donates large sums of money to them.

xaaronx

Quote Gorilla View Post
    the last couple of days i've been lazy so bought the vegetable dunkers, spicy beanburgers and raspberry and blueberry sorbet from Sainsburys. they're all quite good. the burgers seem very similar to Wetherspoon's veggie burgers.
    I think they are exactly the same, I've had both many times.

They are definately getting better again at vegan labelling, saw several new products today. They sell premixed (without the alcohol) fresh cocktails now (incredibly lazy, but the pina collada one stops you having to open cans of coconut milk), labelled vegan

Mr Flibble, may I be so bold as to ask in which section the pre-mixed cocktails can be found?
    here comes the sun

I'm shocked by your boldness

In with the fresh juices. The sainsburys in question wasn't one of the super massive ones, about mid sized.

Honestly you'd have to be insanely lazy to buy any of them (they cost about £1.69 and contain only juices that cost 70p). I bought the pina colada one for novelty purposes, but if you can source out the little mini coconut cans (blue dragon i think?) then it's not worth it.

Laziness abounds in my house!
    here comes the sun

Yeah, after all when you need a cocktail YOU NEED IT RIGHT NOW!

Quote Marrers View Post
    Yeah, after all when you need a cocktail YOU NEED IT RIGHT NOW!
    Finally! Someone who understands me
    here comes the sun

Anyone tried the organic rye vodka? It's labelled vegan and seems pretty drinkable to me, but then I'm no expert on vodka
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"