Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Sainsburys

Not yet, will check it out. We've stopped drinking smirnoff red; blue is more expensive but very noticably nicer.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Yeah I used to prefer the blue, too.

The Sainsbury stuff is 37.5%. Can't remember how much it was, I think it was less than Smirnoff red, but not by very much.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Does anyone know why Sainsburys only label their organic jam as vegan? It seems to me that their organic range is more often labelled as vegan than non organic stuff that appears to be vegan. The only strawberry jam I could find labelled vegan today was the organic one. Just wondering...
    here comes the sun

their organic products seem to have better labelling in general, including packaging recycling information and so on. perhaps it's because they've recently rebranded their organic range, and perhaps they think people who buy organic food would be more interested in that sort of labelling.

Thats how I took it. Seems odd though, you can only have lots of info if you pay more money Don't get me wrong, I am all for organics. Just seems unfair
    here comes the sun

I think it's just inconsistent labelling. A lot of their basics stuff is marked vegan where their normal version isn't, particularly things like pot noodles.

Drives me bonkers!
    here comes the sun

The "Not Just For . . Vegetarians" range of ready meals seems to have disappeared from my local branch (not sure when it happened as I've been cooking a bit more recently so haven't looked for them). Does anyone know anything?
    Have they been discontinued or can some of you still get them?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i think i've seen them in my local shop but to be honest i don't look too carefully at that section as i don't really buy ready meals.

I saw those today in my local Sainsburys. Never tried them though.

They should re-brand them as "Just for vegetarians - not vegans".
    It's pathetic, and irritating that all the dishes are ALL dairy dependent.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin View Post
    They should re-brand them as "Just for vegetarians - not vegans".
    It's pathetic, and irritating that all the dishes are ALL dairy dependent.
    That's not true, I thought the Veg Jambalaya and the Veg Stew type thing (not the one with dumplings) were vegan. Ingredients look vegan to me, no eggs/milk labelled. Wasn't there a thread that had a list of which ones were vegan?

Still, they've run out, but I've bought some Organic thing or other which is just nice looking ingredients, no emulsifiers etc and labelled vegan on the cover

Default Re: Sainsbury's

Actually quite a few are suitable for vegans. Glad to hear they are still around but I must have a moan to my store about no longer stocking them.

My email to Sainsburys in November:-
    "I am dismayed with your new range of ready meals "Not Just For . . Vegetarians" - with not one things suitable for vegans as far as I can see. Why is this? Some items appear from the ingredients list to be suitable for vegans but the labels only say suitable for vegetarians. Can you please clarify?

It seems to me that many product labels have lost the words 'vegetarian' or 'vegetarian and vegan' and now simply have a 'V' . What does this 'V' mean for vegans?

It is also disheartening to see the range of veggie foods increasing but virtually nothing for vegans. Quorn is not vegan and the majority of Cauldron Foods aren't either.
    There are brands out there (like Redwoods and Frys) producing fantastic products which are suitable for vegetarians AND vegans - I don't understand why you would choose products which exclude a section of the market over products which EVERYONE can enjoy."

Their reply:-
    Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I note from your email that you are concerned about the lack of products suitable for vegans and also the labelling of products in our stores. I can understand your concerns, especially as you seem so passionate on this matter.

I have spoken to my colleagues here at our store support centre. They have advised me that our supplier produces these products in a meat free factory with a dairy segregation. However, we decided not to flash the vegan logo as the area was not dairy free. We are reviewing this and will look into the possibility of flashing the products that are suitable for vegans. Please see the list of products below which details suitable for vegans.

Vegetarian Chilli & Rice
    Jambalaya
    Vegetable Terriyaki
    Bulgar Wheat Pilaff
    Bean & Vegetable Casserole
    Vegetable Tagine and Cous Cous
    Malaysian Vegetable Curry with Noodles.

I hope this information is helpful to you and that any of the above products are suitable for you. Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us. Your comments are very welcome.

Kind regards

Michaela Dickens
    Sainsbury's Customer Services
    Mind you they also listed Vegetable Casserole with dumplings in that list but vegandrummersam noticed it contained dairy.
    I doubled checked when I was buying them and all the others I saw seemed vegan. I don't think all branches stock all of the range (some stock none )
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

IF some of them are vegan then that's great. I just knew that they were not labelled and from Marrers post, it seems that we should be careful about possible changes too.
    I still think that not ensuring that ome of them could be labelled as vegan is pathetic and lame. It makes me cross !!
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I agree, they should be labelled. But they came out around the time when all the vegan labelling was disappearing. A short time later we had the 'vegan labelling being phased out' kerfuffle!

. . . our supplier produces these products in a meat free factory with a dairy segregation. However, we decided not to flash the vegan logo as the area was not dairy free.

BlackCats

Ooh I just went into Sainsburys and the labelling is really good except I ended up buying loads of random things just because the packet said suitable for vegans.
    I might switch to online shopping from there instead of from Tesco.

I just don't buy anything ready made any more as we don't trust the manufacturers not to put sky high levels of salt and MSG's in everything even when labelled vegan - I'd rather make our own from scratch.
    Silent but deadly :p

BlackCats

I know - I love salt though, I know its supposed to be terrible for your body.
    I was wandering around the aisles for ages and saw some cous-cous and picked it up and it had honey in it -why!

WTF.......................
    Silent but deadly :p

for some reason many mediterranean/middle eastern style ready-made foods have honey in them, presumably they think it's more 'authentic' than using sugar.

Quote Hemlock View Post
    I'd rather make our own from scratch.
    Yeah me too . . . if it didn't have to involve me actually having to make it . . . myself . . . from scratch!

BlackCats

I saw some red lentils in Sainsburys the other day and I bought them but there were some next to them that were much more for the same price but in differently labelled bag (and from Turkey and with no instructions) so I didn't buy them because I thought I might have to soak them for a long time.

Just wondered has anyone used these ones and what do you do with them?

If the lentils from Turkey were red lentils you shouldn't have to soak them at all - red lentils is red lentils wherever they are from as far as I know. You really shouldn't have to soak any lentils but if they're larger they may take slightly longer.

BlackCats

Yeah its just that the ones I got from Waitrose can be cooked in 20 mins without soaking, but the ones I bought from Sainsburys said they needed to be soaked for 10 mins before cooking and then boiled.

I just didn't want to buy some lentils and up sticking them to pot when cooking them or throwing away the whole thing as I have done before. So I can just boil them and no soaking required?

Had to do our shopping in a sainsburys over the BVF weekend, it was brilliant to be able to just pick things up to see if they were vegan or not and not have to read through the ingredients. I think my friends were also highly impressed with how easy vegan shopping can be.

The one thing I was most happy about was burger buns, a simple thing I know but it's something I miss being able to get easily.

BlackCats

I was surprised by how good labelling in Sainsburys is - I don't understand why the labelling elsewhere can't be as good at this.
    How difficult can it be to write it on labels?

i bought 3 x taste the difference avocados at the weekend, cut them open for meal last night - all bruised and brown.

the brown avocado thing really annoys me.

cedar, that usually happens with the avocados i buy from my local wholefood shop. i've found Asda organic avocados to be the best.

thanks gorilla!

Quote cedarblue View Post
    i bought 3 x taste the difference avocados at the weekend, cut them open for meal last night - all bruised and brown.
    I'd ask for a refund next time you go there. (If poss take the packaging back with the receipt to show they were within date). Although in these cases there is no proof I've never had them question a complaint before.

taste the difference avocados?! are they somehow better than normal avocados?

they are browner

Default Soya Milk Off The Shelves???

I was in my local Sainsbury's today picking up my bottle of (the fresh) Alpro Soya chocolate shake when I realised it had gone from the shelves. I asked someone who was working there and they said they had discontinued it.

Has it disapeered from all Sainsbury's shelves, every shop, or just my local???

WolfRain

Default Re: Soya Milk Off The Shelves???

It is with great pleasure to say that to the best of my knowledge they have indeed finally stopped selling it in those small overpriced 500ml bottles and gone back instead to selling by the litre, like they used to a couple of years ago.

Prince's veg fails store's test

The Prince of Wales has been dropped by Sainsbury's as a supplier because it says his organic vegetables do not meet the right standards.

Full article...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6240372.stm
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Yep, alpro choccie milk is back in the 1 litre carton (same as the soya milk carton)
    here comes the sun

My local Sainsbury's has started selling chocolate flavoured Oatly. Does anyone know if Oatly is actually vegan as it contains unspecified vitamin D and it doesn't say suitable for vegetarians or vegans on the carton. I'm going to email the makers but wanted to ask here first.

The Some Oatly milks Not vegan thread, http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14538 , might help herbidacious.

Thanks for that flutterby

Yes thanks for that link - a friend at work was singing the praises of oatly choc drink the other day saying it beats alpro, i was thinking of trying it glad i read this.

I am happy if the choc plastic bottles go as long as the big choc cartons are back always liked those more!

At last so far Sainsburys still stock alpro plain yoghurt!

Hmmmm goes off to check cereal boxes for added vit D as now worried

Smile Re: Sainsburys

i don't know if it's a new thing, but they have started stocking vegan washing up liquid in my local one. it has the vegan society symbol on, it's called ecover.

http://www.ecover.com/gb/en/

I used to use this, until I read somewhere that the BUAV does not approve of them. A bit confusing, I thought, seeing as the vegan society approve of them.

Quote BUAV
    "Ecover never tested any of their finished products [or ingredients] on animals. Regarding ingredients, they follow a five-year rolling rule, not using ingredients that have been tested or re-tested in the last five years."
    This means that the manufacturer excludes ingredients which have been animal-tested only within the last five years. So, an animal-tested ingredient may be excluded one year because it falls within the 'last five years' bracket, but included the following year when it falls outside this bracket. The BUAV does not support the five year rolling rule.

WARNING!!

Sainsburys own label BBQ sauce says that its vegan, but it contains cows milk.

Genius. Have you mailed them? A couple of years ago they had vegan labelled mince pies with butter in. They didn't recall them, but had a notice next to where they were on the shelves.

Nice.

Can you get a shot of the label?

You can actually make pretty good barbecue sauce by stirring some smoked paprika into ketchup
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Pob View Post
    Nice.

Can you get a shot of the label?
    No, sorry- only looked at it in the store.
    Angry email has been sent though!

Quote !! View Post
    i don't know if it's a new thing, but they have started stocking vegan washing up liquid in my local one. it has the vegan society symbol on, it's called ecover.

http://www.ecover.com/gb/en/
    and our survey says? Eeeeh urrrrr

i saw a notice in my local Sainsburys once saying they'd had to recall a load of cheese sandwiches because they'd been marked as vegan.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

wow sainsburys really are upping themselves on the 'genius' stakes.

ah well, at least they are genuinely expanding their vegan range, unlike sodding tesco.

argh! why can't they just label it properly? what's the point of having a 'short cut' if i feel like i still have to read the back of packets anyway....

amanda