Thread: children and vitamins

princessemma

Default children and vitamins

I am pretty confident that my daughter is getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs, but I wondered if a vitamin might be a good 'safeguard' does anyone know of a good vegan multivitamin for children available in the UK?
    On a similar note a vegan mulitvitamin that is suitable for pre-conception and pregnancy (without vitamin A)

Default Re: children and vitamins

Hiya, Can't help on the children's vits front, I don't supplement my son's diet yet as he's still breastfeeding, but for the prenatal supplement BioCare Antenatal Forte is good with the right amount of folic acid amongst other stuff including b12, and minus the vit A. I find its fairly expensive (over £10) so am just using it whilst we're trying to conceive right now and for the first three months. After that, I'll go back to using the Vegan Society's Veg 1 tablets as my diet is good and varied. Folic acid is only necessary during the first trimester when the nural tubes are developing. Hope that helps, you preggie or TTC?
    Hannah xxx

princessemma

I am pregnant 11 weeks, I am taking folic acid and Iron suppliments. I am giving my daughter a vegan children's suppliment at the moment but it doesn't contain Iron. Still on the whole she eats a good diet I am not concerned.

Hi, I'm not decided whether to supplement Oz's diet with vits (he's 15 months), he's not vegan but veggie. I guess it's quite a personal decision really. What brand supplement do you use with your daughter?

I found some multivitamin drops for babies and children in a local chemist called "dalivit". They are labelled as suitable for vegans.I bought them when our little one wasnt eating much and a bit off with teething but we havent given the drops to her more than about twice i dont think she needs them really.

so far my dd at 12 1/2 months just takes flax seed oil every monring for her omega 3's. shes still BFing so she gets her vitamins through me.. i make sure to take b12 every day for her.
    but if you breastfeed theres not need for your child to take vitamins. if you formula feed then DEFINATELY give your baby vitamins and lots of flax oil to try and compensate for whats the yare missing out on. It wont ever be close to what that get via breastmilk but its still closer