Thread: Cleansing period?????

Default Cleansing period?????

Hello everyone,

I'm a new vegan. I haven't eaten any meat since last week and went cold turkey into becoming a vegan mainly due to health reasons.

I've tried to become lacto-ovo vegan before but developed a bad case of gas after a few days of not eating meat. I went to my doctor in a panic and he sent me to a nutrionist who wasn't a vegan of course. She told me that I should not stop eating meat and that my case of gas was due to me eating to much leafy green vegetables. Not knowing any better I followed her advise and ended right back eating meat again.

I just graduated college with a bachelors degree in health science which I took a few nutrition classes before I graduated and a wellness class with a major focus on nutrition/alternative health. Nevertheless, I know better now.

Thus, I have become a vegan and I suffer from gas (no stomach pain) and I can only think the cause of this is due to a sort of cleansing process.

Can someone tell me if this happened to them and if so for how long did it last for?

Thanks,

Default Re: Cleansing period?????

Well, vegans stereotypically have a lot of gas. I know I probably fart about 30 times a day at least.

Vegetables, whole grains, and beans do make people gassy and it's normal really.

Adding cumin and/or ginger to foods or drinking real ginger tea (boil a chunk of ginger not drink ginger flavoured tea bags). It could help lessen the gas.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    Well, vegans stereotypically have a lot of gas. I know I probably fart about 30 times a day at least.

Vegetables, whole grains, and beans do make people gassy and it's normal really.

Adding cumin and/or ginger to foods or drinking real ginger tea (boil a chunk of ginger not drink ginger flavoured tea bags). It could help lessen the gas.
    Thanks again Tigerlily,

Speaking of ginger, my mom has some right down stairs now. She drinks it when she gets a cold.

I'll try that. I must say however, my heartburn has becoming less of a problem for me now and I have to only take Tums once a day now. I hope to someday be completely free from those Tums.

My Asthma has also improved, I have a euphoria now and I don't smell like a carnivore (no offense to anyone) anymore.

Seaside

I've been vegan for 20 years and rarely suffer from gas. It isn't vegan foods, its just normal human variation that makes some people gassier than others. It may take six months to a year for your enzymatic system to adjust to the new foods you are eating. My dogs went through a gassy period when I quit feeding them the same commercial food every day, and started making them home-made meals in which they ate something different every day. They got gassy for about six months after the switch, and now that they are accustomed to not eating the same thing every day, not only do they rarely get gas, their poops don't smell as bad. So, its that way for animals, too, not just people.

Seaside

I forgot - symptons of cleansing may include increased perspiration, nausea, headaches, sinus disturbances, skin eruptions, and other temporary pains in the rear. You may find yourself experiencing some of these, and they are often what drive new vegans back to their old omni ways, thinking that going without meat, dairy, eggs, etc. is making them ill. Going without these things is the best thing you can do for your health, and as soon as your symptoms subside you will feel much better. Don't be concerned over any unpleasant symptoms you may experience at the beginning, as they should pass within a few days to a week.

Quote Seaside
    I forgot - symptons of cleansing may include increased perspiration, nausea, headaches, sinus disturbances, skin eruptions, and other temporary pains in the rear. You may find yourself experiencing some of these, and they are often what drive new vegans back to their old omni ways, thinking that going without meat, dairy, eggs, etc. is making them ill. Going without these things is the best thing you can do for your health, and as soon as your symptoms subside you will feel much better. Don't be concerned over any unpleasant symptoms you may experience at the beginning, as they should pass within a few days to a week.
    Thanks Seaside,

I'm not quitting this time around. I'm sticking with it no matter what. Gas and all.

Try drinking some mint tea after a meal high in gas-producing foods (like beans). My family has a tendancy to be very gassy, but if I follow-up a plate of rice and beans with mint tea, I don't get gas at all. It's so cool. I've also heard vegan beano is now available, though don't know where to get it.

i havent been getting anymore gassy than usual but i have been Vegan about 2 weeks now and i am experiencing some pretty bad headaches! and awful skin is this normal? i havent eaten meat for about 6months as i was a strict vegetarian before making the change to Vegan, on the one hand i havent had ANY heartburn and i used to get it every single day but the rest of the symptoms are getting me down.
    I am taking a multi vit especially for vegans and veggies, i am eating fresh fruit and veg everyday plus nuts , my soya milk is fortified and i used Pure ( yellow with omegas) and i am trying to drink more water as i know this can be the cause of headaches.... is there anything else i could be doing wrong? any help would be much appreciated!

Leo xx
    Bad deeds, and deeds hurtful to ourselves, are easy to do; what is beneficial and good, that is very difficult to do

re headaches, think I've read that some milk proteins can be addictive and that if you stop having them you can get withdrawal symptoms, so maybe that's what's happening? I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment but if you type "casein withdrawal headaches" into Google you may find something. If it is that then it should pass fairly quickly (judging by my experiences with caffeine withdrawal anyway).

re wind, you might want to try cutting down the fibre in your diet temporarily, especially insoluble fibre (wheat bran etc), then phasing it back in later. I may have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this because as posted in another thread I've found wheat bran doesn't agree with me at all.

thanks for the info, i checked it out on google and it just said to ride it out which is fine for someone who hasnt got 2 noisy boys around them! oh well thanks anyway just hope they dont last for too long.....

Leo xx
    Bad deeds, and deeds hurtful to ourselves, are easy to do; what is beneficial and good, that is very difficult to do

veganja

If in doubt some days do not eat pulses and see if the gas subsides. I find what gives me gas is actually cabbage... and also brazil nuts, but they've got so expensive I eat less of them.

There was the famous French Petomain who did whole stage performances and could play tunes on gas, so there's alwayst the possibility of a new carreer...

Leo, if the headaches don't go off in a day or two I would probably check with a doc just to be on the safe side. Trouble is if you do something like changing your diet you automatically attribute anything that happens to the diet change and it could just be a coincidence.

I don't remember dairy withdrawal headaches but I think I probably cut it out more gradually than you've done.

Hope the boys pipe down and you feel better soon!

I went cold turkey on cheese (it was my last non-vegan food) and had a headache for two days. I read someplace that certain types of dairy, especially cheese are addictive.

I counteracted it with caffeine, then weaned myself down on it. Feel great now. But, if the headache continues, see a Dr. just in case.

imvegan, your gas could just be a result in a change in diet. You may want o stay away from a lot of beans, cabbage and cauliflower until your body is more adjusted. Make sure that you continue to eat a balanced diet and exercise. Not all vegans are gassy, but most are probably more gassy than the omnis. Luckily, it doesn't smell as bad

Quote KarmaGirl
    imvegan, your gas could just be a result in a change in diet. You may want o stay away from a lot of beans, cabbage and cauliflower until your body is more adjusted. Make sure that you continue to eat a balanced diet and exercise. Not all vegans are gassy, but most are probably more gassy than the omnis. Luckily, it doesn't smell as bad
    LOL...that's true...when my omni relatives have gas it smells like something has crawled up in them and died (which I guess is almost the case). I definitely have more gas, but they don't even know it half the time I have read that soaking dried beans helps with gas, but I'm more likely to eat frozen/canned beans, so I'm not sure how to help with that
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I think the main thing with beans to prevent gas is to not use the liquid from the can or the cooking water in the dish you are preparing. I like most of my beans on their own, so they are typically rinsed after cooking.

My mother in law eats a ton of meat. She is way gassier than I am and it smells (like what you said) like something died in her.

You will experience gas anytime you change your diet. It's just the digestive tract reacting to things it's not used to, as well as other syptoms previously described.

Eg not consuming as much sugary food will give you headaches for awhile. Eating more leafy greens and pulses will give you gas until your system becomes used to this. The same thing occurs if you holiday in another country - the foreign foods may effect you eg curries in India.

Reading Dr Sandra Cabot or Gillian McKeiths books will give you some incite

i noticed i had a real gassy stage for about a week when i went from lacto-veg to vegan .

Hey Leo, You say you have been veggie for a few months and now vegan, I dont know but its a big change for your body in such a relatively short time space maybe? Hey its fantastic you made the change though. I know i had really bad feverish headaches for a bit (which could have been unreated) but it passed in a couple of weeks. I now feel so much happier and more content on a vegan diet. A few months down the line as a vegan I get FAR LESS moodswings than i used to and feel much healthier so good luck bro!
    Frisky as a flea on a fat dog

Thanks Baba the headaches are already much better and i feel alot more energetic than i did a few days ago

( just for future reference i am female , Leo is just a nickname i have picked up over the years...... my real name is Lianne and my pic is on my profile ) dont worry i get it all the time as Leo is a name associated with men/boys. On another forum i am a member of they added " i'm a laydee" as my sub-name as a joke because of how many times people called me Bro or something similar.

Leo xx