Thread: Algae, Spirulina, Kelp, Nori, Carrageenan, Agar-agar, Sea-Weed Caution!

Default Algae, Spirulina, Kelp, Nori, Carrageenan, Agar-agar, Sea-Weed Caution!

http://www.waterandlife.org/algae.htmTo call algae, kelp, nori, spirulina (sometimes spelled: spiralina), carrageenan or any "sea-weed" a "vegetable" is biological folly or simple ignorance of marine life fact! All so-called algae or seaweeds are made up of primitive animal cells called protists and are cyano-bacteria or flagellates - tiny animal cells!

This fact is also supported by Jaini religion scriptures. Till now I was lookinng for the scientific reasons.But I got it now.

Manish Jain

Default Re: Algae, Spirulina, Kelp, Nori, Carrageenan, Agar-agar, Sea-Weed Caution!

Protists and animals are 2 different kingdoms. The kingdoms are: Monera (the prokaryotes); Protista (the single-celled eukaryotes); Fungi (fungus and related organisms); Plantae (the plants); and Animalia (the animals).
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Default Re: Algae, Spirulina, Kelp, Nori, Carrageenan, Agar-agar, Sea-Weed Caution!

All foods are alive at some point. Such marine life has no central nerve system, and therefore incapable of thought or pain.

Yes, protists are a separate kingdom from animals. You should have no more problem eating seaweeds than eating the live cultures of bacteria in soy yogurt. I exclude animals and animal products from my diet, not protists, fungi, or monera (bacteria and such).

Cheers,
    rant

I've thought about this issue too. I stopped buying nori about a year ago while I ponder it more. Sort of like the whole honey thing. I'd sometimes eat granola that came manufactured with honey, but decided it wasn't really vegan. I stopped buying Tom's of Maine dental floss because it contained beeswax. I won't get a flu shot because it's derived from eggs.

I think seeweed is probaly okay, but after being a vegan for 10+ years -- it's like when you've already conquered so much already, why not take it up a notch -- so it's like giving up things can be kind of fun & restrictive at the same time (weird, huh?).

Anyone else moving to more extreme versions of veganism or pondering the extreme questions? Shellac is derived from animals and is used to coat electrical wiring -- but we all have electrical wiring in our houses - yikes! And fruit at the store may come coated with shellac or beeswax -- what are we to do? Being 99.9% is easy, but 100% vegan -- maybe impossible.

Also, veganism is about doing the best you can do. It's not about purity.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I agree, Sk and Tigerlily.

But, we can try our best to become compassionate towards all living things including River,Sea,Trees,Plants(including Vegetable and Fruits so people keep fasting on certain days),Land( like in mining,excavation) . Such life is based on the principle of AHIMSA . Jain religion is fundamentally based on AHIMSA. But, unfortunately, even people who called themselves Jains(follower of Jainism) here are lacto-vegetarians.

I have never find any religion which highly advocates compassionate life(Ahimsak life) as Jainism.It is very clear message in the Jain religion about Compassionate towards everything even it may be invisible micro organisms in the air or in root vegetables !!!. Like, I do not consume any root vegetables for the reason of AHIMSA. Basic idea behind it is that these root vegetables do grow underground they do not absorb any sunlight so the number of micro-organism in these is very very high and which is not healthy.

Manish Jain

Wow .. not consumming root vegetables. I'm with you in concept. I tried the fruitarian approach for a while .. cutting out things like carrots & sweet potatoes -- I found that to be a bit restricting for me, but I'm with you in principle and spirit.

On the topic of religion, most of the vegetarians I've known have done it for religious religions (7th day adventist, hindus, etc.), and these people have been lacto-ovos. Us ethical vegans seem to be in short supply, versus the people that based veganism or veggie-ism on religion.

Are there any religions out there which strongly support a pure animal-free Vegan diet and lifestyle? Let's see -- Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Jainism, 7th Day Adventists are all veggie or semi-vegi or vegi-friendly, but are any religions that ARE actually vegan?

Or is being an ethical vegan, sort of like a religion in itself?

Also, I DO agree that be a vegan is about DOING the Best you can. It can take a lot of time to transition from meat to semi-veg to veg to semi-vegan to vegan, and even then there are all kinds of remaining questions that one must deal with. So ALLl veggies or vegans or transitioners or anybody even thinking about the subject certainly ROCKS!

Only followers of Jain religion to my knowledge live life much close to Vegan Life. They strongly believe in Ahimsa.But unfortunately, they are not aware about darkness and cruelties behind dairy business. May be in future, they will start proesting it.

Jain people though they use dairy products, they are strict vegetarians, I can say most compassionate in real life. Most of the followers do not use Leather goods, Fur.

Jain community in India is also conscious about animal ingredients in various food stuffs.

There are many Jain societies in India which are running various Gaushalas( a place where sick,weak and other cows are kept as Pet and they are given proper food, but i wonder, why animals are chained and kept in confinement ).

ConsciousCuisine

Manish, what about the Sikhs and the Hare Krishnas? They are lacto vegetarians and are strict, eating only milk-derived non vegan food, considering eggs to be flesh.

Sikhs are mixed bags..many of them are meat/egg eaters. Harekrishna is a kind of group of Hindu people. They are lacto vegetarians.

Yes, Egg is considered as same as Meat. People are unaware about cruelty/confinement of birds. Vegetarians people simply do not eat Eggs. Egg eating act is considered as serious kind of a sin.

Now a days bakery shops have started marketing Eggs free cakes/pastries.But we do not get Vegan cake here so we have to make it at home.

I tried to explain several people here about connection between Slaughterhouse and Dairy business. It is really very tough here to make them understand.

But still they oppose Slaughterhouse/transportation of animals,sacrifice of animals for the sake of damn religion in some sectors here.