Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Co-op goodies...

VeganLiz

Talking Co-op goodies...

Wow - after reading posts on the forum I went to look at the co-op. I found some impossible to find items in my local co-op.

That includes:
    vegan tealights £1.89 for 30
    Co-op brand nail varnish remover 89p
    co-op brand sensitive toothpaste £1.49

hapy to have the toothpaste and pain free teeth!

Liz X

Default Re: Co-op goodies...

It's great isn't it? We have a co-op superstore near us in Peacehaven and it's like a vegan palace of joy The small co-op corner shops are ok too.
    Silent but deadly :p

Up until last month i had quite a large coop superstore on my road. It was well stocked but like the marie celeste/brittas empire - I think i was their main regular customer. Now it's being flattened to make way for one of my otehr favourite stores - the first inner city 7 storey IKEA. Not sure I actually want an ikea quite so close thou, hopefully will have moved out by the time it opens and there's riots in the street over discount sofas
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Are co-ops in the UK the same as mine. Where you actually buy a share of it? Basically it is a small ($60) investment that makes me a co-owner. I get to vote on changes and leadership...those sort of things. Any rate if my co-op moves I'm moving with it...think I'd starve otherwise.

Quote Mr Flibble
    Up until last month i had quite a large coop superstore on my road. It was well stocked but like the marie celeste/brittas empire - I think i was their main regular customer. Now it's being flattened to make way for one of my otehr favourite stores - the first inner city 7 storey IKEA. Not sure I actually want an ikea quite so close thou, hopefully will have moved out by the time it opens and there's riots in the street over discount sofas
    Argggghhhhhhhh, God, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. No worries Mr F, I have a spare room here with your name on it

thanks for the offer hemlock, brighton's high on my list of somewhere to live

Jane M: I doubt it's the same company, but in the UK you can buy a share for £1 giving you voting rights and dividends. It's a set of companies in the UK who all share the same logo/branding and distribution chain, but operate seperately by area. It's mainly food but they have homestores and various other smaller businesses like funeral directors. Most people don't join, i just did out of interest really because i'm nosey

im disappointed when i go to the co-op to find things to eat suitable. they have the toothpaste and a showergel and wash up liquid but no cakey/chiller cabinet stuff apart from those awful thin jam tarts, i prefer to make my own of these..

I like the fact that the co-op lable everything clearly and their stuff is BUAV approved, but some things contain parabens and other nasties.

There's a huge co-op store near me, but it's mainly full of washing machines and flat screen TVs. The veg section is really bad and the veggie section is tiny. Their Nice biscuits are pretty good though and their stuff is very cheap compaired with health food shops.

I love Co-op! I even found vegan current buns last week which was great, although the best thing is the fact that they label their wines too

I don't buy food from the local Co-op as they don't normally have good vegan food, I buy toiletries, household products, washing powder, toilet roll, that kind of thing because it's very cheap and I know it's animal safe.

the main Co-op supermarket in Brighton isn't much good for food although they do sell a few fair trade items and animal-friendly toiletries. they don't even do any vegan margarine, and the fruit and veg is rubbish... it's a shame because they have the potential to be so much better
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Jane M
    Are co-ops in the UK the same as mine. Where you actually buy a share of it? Basically it is a small ($60) investment that makes me a co-owner. I get to vote on changes and leadership...those sort of things. Any rate if my co-op moves I'm moving with it...think I'd starve otherwise.
    Do you belong to people's foods? If so, can you tell me about it? I am a bit of a drive from there, but I'm thinking of joining since I am in A2 a lot.

I can stop by there tonight and pick up some more info. Been quite a while since I joined but I think it is still around $60. I'll pm you later.

Great! Thanks a lot!

The co-op is fantastic for inexpensive toiletries and cleaning products. I was struggling to afford to do the laundry with Ecover washing powder, so I was chuffed to bits when I found out their laundry tablets are BUAV approved and animal free. Unfortunately though their laundry powder is still tested on aminals, and their fabric conditioner contains animal ingredients.

They also do recycled kitchen roll which I can't find anywhere else.
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

veggiesosage

I went into one of the Co-ops in Nottm recently (not a particularly small one either) and I asked them where the hummus was. Wanna know what they said? 'Whats hummus?' I nearly fell over!

I've seen hummous in pretty much every co-op supermarket i've been in. I think your experience has more to do with the average IQ of their workers

veggiesosage

Well yes, certainly as far as the particular worker I spoke to. I was in a hurry, couldn't find it, asked the brainbox and pretty much lost the will to live and left. No hummus for me that day!

Why don't you make it yourself? It's so easy!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

veggiesosage

Well, because in every supermarket and about 75% of all small shops in cities you can find hummus with absolutely no trouble at all so why bother with the effort? I still suspect they had a plentiful supply of hummus somewhere but I couldn't be bothered to look for it and the asistant obviously needed what little spare brain capacity she had to find her way home on her own. Anyway, I've got more money than time, can't be bothered with juggling chick peas of an evening and theres just me so would have to just make small amounts which again makes it not worthwhile.

Lazy? You betcha

I was shocked (in a pleasant way) to find vegan salad cream in a Co-op today! 85p for a 400g in a squeezy bottle. It's "half fat" and has saccharine in (I normally avoid artificial sweeteners and I don't care about fat), but I had to buy it because I've never seen vegan salad cream before. I used to really enjoy tomato and salad cream sandwiches on crusty white bread.

Quote twinkle
    I was shocked (in a pleasant way) to find vegan salad cream in a Co-op today! 85p for a 400g in a squeezy bottle. It's "half fat" and has saccharine in (I normally avoid artificial sweeteners and I don't care about fat), but I had to buy it because I've never seen vegan salad cream before. I used to really enjoy tomato and salad cream sandwiches on crusty white bread.
    OMG i haven't seen this in co-op before!!!! I'm gonna have to look into this!!!

Co-op are fab- I tend to buy toiletries from there mostly and food from Sainsbury's.

tabitha

I find most things in the co op, but I cant get on with their shampoo and conditioner. It smells lovely, but makes my hair all tangly. Does anyone know of any decent shampoo thats vegan? its the only product I really struggle with.

How about Original Source - I think all their stuff is vegan - all the stuff I've seen has the vegan society logo on the back, anyway.

Lush do a lot of stuff as well.

I think there are probably a million threads on here with recommendations for hair products already, just put "hair care" or shampoo or something like that into search...

Quote tabitha
    Does anyone know of any decent shampoo thats vegan? its the only product I really struggle with.
    Have a nose at The Hair And Shampoo Thread thread.

Quote tabitha
    I find most things in the co op, but I cant get on with their shampoo and conditioner. It smells lovely, but makes my hair all tangly. Does anyone know of any decent shampoo thats vegan? its the only product I really struggle with.
    I completely agree. I love coop and I'm completely impressed with their toothpaste, but the shampoo makes my hair tangly too, and it makes my head itch. I thought I'd caught nits (I work with small people) but after combing my hair for about 30 minutes with a nit comb and not finding anybody in there I realised I was just sensitive to the shampoo.

As Twinkle says, original source stuff is cool. I've got their tangerine and bergamot shampoo at the mo and it's great.

I didn't think I could get most original source things where I am, but just found loads of it in Morrisons! Hooray

tabitha

I really like Original Source stuff too, but where I am you just cant get it anymore. A couple of months ago it was in all the shops on special offer, now I cant find it at all. I get the shower gel, but shampoo - nowhere to be found.

Aha. That could be cos they've just redone the packaging. When I got my shampoo (from Boots) a couple of weeks ago the lady at the till said I'd had a job finding it cos it had only just reappeared.

Last time I looked in Morrisons they had NO original source stuff at all, but when I went on Thursday they had loads of shower gel and shaving gel and everything. All in the new packaging. So hopefully it'll reappear in your shops too

i use Co-op's 2-in-1 shampoo and i think it's really good. but i did try their anti-dandruff shampoo and it made my scalp really dry and itchy, thus completely defeating the object
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I've just bought some original source shower gel. I had a good stock of Honesty soaps that have just run out, so was chuffed that it was easy to get vegan shower gel. Must check out what my local Co-op stocks - probably not much as it is small and skanky.

Quote tabitha
    I really like Original Source stuff too, but where I am you just cant get it anymore. A couple of months ago it was in all the shops on special offer, now I cant find it at all. I get the shower gel, but shampoo - nowhere to be found.
    Check out their website for free samples
    http://www.originalsource.co.uk/
    I have had loads of free stuff from them, they even sent me 4 fulll size bottles of bath stuff a couple of years back, for no apparent reason.
    All you have to do is to register your details on their website and give your feedback on samples they send you. UK only though.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

does anyone know if Co-op have stopped selling their eye make-up remover? i can't find it in my local shop any more.

Quote tabitha
    Same in the midlands, i used to buy the shampoo at 99p a bottle (those shops do have some uses), but now i can't even find it at full price in an entire city! The conditioner, shower gel, antipersperent, soap, bubble bath etc are all easy to find, but what are you supposed to wash your hair with?

i've found Original Source shower gel works perfectly on my hair as well as their shampoo, so if you can find that you might as well give it a try. it's good on long or short hair.

but i still need make-up remover - otherwise i'll have to resort to the Body Shop - has anybody seen it in their local Co-op recently???

tabitha

Have you looked in the Animal Aid catalogue? I get bits and pieces there, but they take ages to deliver. I get vit e. cream and I used to get vegan musk perfume but the company that provided it has gone out of business. I sometimes use co ops baby wipes to cleanse and take make up off.

Quote Gorilla
    does anyone know if Co-op have stopped selling their eye make-up remover? i can't find it in my local shop any more.
    I don't use that but have you tried emailing them, they are usually very helpful. Or phone the helpline. It is also good to tell companies how you want their vegan stuff and cannot do without it. Co-op often won't sell certain items in shops where there is not enough demand but it does not mean they have stopped selling it. Like my Mum's co-op stopped selling Provamel soya milk (not enough demand in a small village) but they still sell their own brand.

Quote tabitha
    Have you looked in the Animal Aid catalogue? I get bits and pieces there, but they take ages to deliver. I get vit e. cream and I used to get vegan musk perfume but the company that provided it has gone out of business. I sometimes use co ops baby wipes to cleanse and take make up off.
    Animal Aid don't seem to do an eye make-up remover, neither do Meadowsweet, and Veganstore only do wipes - i'd prefer a liquid. Herbwormwood, i will try emailing Co-op's customer relations address.

I've bought it in the Peacehaven co-op superstore recently but the local small store doesn't do it.

Quote Mr Flibble
    Same in the midlands, i used to buy the shampoo at 99p a bottle (those shops do have some uses), but now i can't even find it at full price in an entire city! The conditioner, shower gel, antipersperent, soap, bubble bath etc are all easy to find, but what are you supposed to wash your hair with?
    Um, they sell original source shampoo's in Boots. They did them up a bit so they look kind of snazzier, which is probably why they sold the old stock off cheap and accounts for their disappearance.... But they do contain sodium laurel sulfate, parabens and other such nasties.... Try brands like 'faith in nature' instead.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

i got an email from Co-op who said they've had problems with the supplier of their eye make-up remover, but that it's making its way back into their stores again now.

Quote catmogg
    Um, they sell original source shampoo's in Boots.
    Animal Aid's statement on Boots:

Boots
    They state 'no animal testing of any kind is undertaken or commissioned by the Boots Company or its subsidiary businesses.' However, they do not have a FCOD, and are prepared to use ingredients that have been tested on animals by others.

Not good enough for me, I prefer to shop elsewhere if I can. FCOD means fixed cut off date for when they stopped animal testing.

I use Lush babyface eyemakeup remover Gorilla, removes even my gothic looking eyeliner!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

thanks Dove, i didn't realise that Babyface could be used for eye make-up, i'll give it a try.

Co Op jam tarts used to be vegan but now they are not anymore

Does anywhere else do vegan jam tarts apart from those "free from" range at tescos which taste nasty?

Sainsbury were at some point - not sure if they still are.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

saucyvegan

I have a large co-op just over the road from me...literally 30 paces. I get all my shopping in there. Toilet rolls, bleach, toothpaste, soap, they even have BUAV approved tissue paper!!

Quote catmogg
    Um, they sell original source shampoo's in Boots. They did them up a bit so they look kind of snazzier, which is probably why they sold the old stock off cheap and accounts for their disappearance.... But they do contain sodium laurel sulfate, parabens and other such nasties.... Try brands like 'faith in nature' instead.
    Also..original source is owned by PZ Cussons (animal testers)

I only have a little co-op near me, and it has a very small cosmetics/toiletries section

my boyfriend went to visit his mum recently (in bury, manchester) and there is a MASSIVE co-op near them, so i told him to go there for me and find me things..i brought me back 2 big bags of goodies

also, i was on the bus home yesterday from shopping, and noticed 2 big co-ops on this big long road the bus goes down..so i plan to go back one day and have a bit of an explore

Quote lozza
    my boyfriend went to visit his mum recently (in bury, manchester) and there is a MASSIVE co-op near them, so i told him to go there for me also, i was on the bus home yesterday from shopping, and noticed 2 big co-ops on this and find me things..i brought me back 2 big bags of goodies
    I live just outside Bury, my sister lives in Glasgow like you. What a coincidence

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Co Op jam tarts used to be vegan but now they are not anymore

Does anywhere else do vegan jam tarts apart from those "free from" range at tescos which taste nasty?
    Asda do them, I have some now.

Asda Assorted Jam Tarts 12s - 74p
    Asda Assorted Jam Tarts 6s - 38p

I don't have a co-op near me, is it still worth me joining?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth