Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Co-op goodies...

Default Re: Co-op goodies...

Quote Marrers View Post
    Yes, I've always seen Cuisine De France (?) stuff and assumed this is what we were talking about - but yesterday I saw stuff marked as Co-op's own bakery.
    they're the same thing. according to the manager of my local anyway.

I'm confused as to which co-op donuts are vegan . The only ones in my local co-op are in red bags in the co-op bakery section and have either custard ( obviously not Vegan ) and jam ones ( vegan ? ).

Can anyone tell me if the jam ones are def vegan ?

Also I am also getting increasingly annoyed at the co-op vegan labelling as it is getting gradually worse .

The co-op bourbon biscuits and fruit shortcake ones used to say vegan but don't anymore. But the ingredients haven't changed ! The packets now say produced on a line handling milk ( or something similar ). Does anyone eat these biscuits/would eat these biscuits

Help !

Quote Ross-P View Post
    I'm confused as to which co-op donuts are vegan . The only ones in my local co-op are in red bags in the co-op bakery section and have either custard ( obviously not Vegan ) and jam ones ( vegan ? ).

Can anyone tell me if the jam ones are def vegan ?

Also I am also getting increasingly annoyed at the co-op vegan labelling as it is getting gradually worse .

The co-op bourbon biscuits and fruit shortcake ones used to say vegan but don't anymore. But the ingredients haven't changed ! The packets now say produced on a line handling milk ( or something similar ). Does anyone eat these biscuits/would eat these biscuits

Help !
    The custard and jam ones are vegan.

ETA: yeah, I would eat those biscuits

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    The custard and jam ones are vegan.

ETA: yeah, I would eat those biscuits
    are the ones i've seen the same as the ones you have seen ? they are in red bags and have about 6 in a bag and the bag has no ingredients at all on it. They have a co-op barcode on and are kept with the in store bakery cakes.

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    I'd heard that the cuisine de france donuts were vegan but only when made for the co-op.
    Damn. The custard ones I tried were from a garage shop, so I guess they weren't vegan after all?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Damn. The custard ones I tried were from a garage shop, so I guess they weren't vegan after all?
    Don't quote me on it, I'm sure I read it somewhere that Cuisine de France things made for the co-op were vegan, but doesn't necessarily mean that their stuff made for other shops isn't.
    I'll try sending them an email to clarify.
    ETA have sent email. Will post reply when I get it.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Sluggie got this list from them back in October -

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...sine+de+france

Would be good to see if there are any changes, though.
    No custard doughnuts on that list though, Marrers, old bean.

I just bought and ate some co-op jam doughnuts. They actually said vegan on the label I don't really like doughnuts but feel obliged to eat anything new I find that is vegan!

I can't remember where I read this, but I believe the budgens CDF ones are vegan, but weren't included on vegans lists due to "may contain traces of..."

I got co-op doughnuts for the first time today! They say vegan on the label, (edit - I thought they had an ingredients list too, but it's just a list of sort of what it contains...)

Very nice, too! I will scan the bag so you can see what it looks like...

"If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

cheapskate

They only had the reduced ones! and it was the first time I'd seen them. Nothing wrong with a bargain anyway!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

It just means you don't have to pretend you're saving some for later... they've got to be eaten immediately or they'll go off!

talknerdytome

Co-ops vegetable spread is vegan as well =]

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    It just means you don't have to pretend you're saving some for later... they've got to be eaten immediately or they'll go off!
    Heh, good thinking!

Just noticed the Co-op fairtrade wines have gone on promotion today with 20% off - some of these are vegan - will say on the back.

Must stock up later this week!

right that's it - enough is enough - got to find me a big co-op with wine and doughnuts!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote talknerdytome View Post
    Co-ops vegetable spread is vegan as well =]
    Iwas in the Co-op today looking for this but couldn't find it, could anyone post a picture or more detailed description?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

the doughnuts in my local Co-op don't say 'vegan' on them anymore. they've changed the label to list all the ingredients, which still look vegan, but it was good to have it spelled out.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    the doughnuts in my local Co-op don't say 'vegan' on them anymore. they've changed the label to list all the ingredients, which still look vegan, but it was good to have it spelled out.
    Hmm.. That's worrying. Are you going to drop them a line or call them?
    I'll take a look in the co-op I visit tomorrow (if I can) and check out their labels too.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

i'm going to email them, ironically i emailed them only a couple of weeks ago thanking them for making vegan-labelled jam doughnuts!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i received the following reply from Co-op:

"Thank you for your email to Customer Relations regarding the suitability of our in-store baked doughnuts. We are currently revising the packaging statements on these products. The product itself contains no ingredients that would be unsuitable for vegans and we have not recently amended the specifications. However, there are a number of products produced in our bakeries that would be unsuitable. While it is unlikely, we cannot guarantee that the doughnuts would not come into contact with other products that would be unsuitable. This also applies to customers who have other dietary requirements such as nut-free, vegetarian etcera."

so it seems it's a cross-contamination issue, as is often the case these days.

Thanks for investigating Gorilla.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Harrrrararararargghhh.... GRrrrrr.
    I wish there was some clear way around this issue. In my view, accidental cross-contamination is applicable and useful to know about when it's an allergy issue. For me, the intentional ingredients are what determines veganity.
    Otherwise, if you take this tack, nothing is suitable because the person making them could have brought a flake of dog skin (dust) in with them.

I know... slightly off topic, but still. Grrrr!

I'll go and play on this thread instead.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I was bought some doughnuts from my new local co-op today and the packaging doesn't list any ingredients. The allergy information states 'This product contains or may contain traces of the following: Nuts, Sesame seeds, Wheat, Gluten, Barley, Egg, Oats, Milk, Mustard, Rye, Soya, Sulphites.'

May contain is one thing but contains is a step too far for me.

EDIT: Just realised this must be because they are baked in store. Typical, we finally get a local co-op and it's too big to do vegan doughnuts

Risker, i'm not sure what you mean. i posted earlier that the doughnuts used to have the word 'vegan' on them, but they took it off the label because of the possibility of cross-contamination and replaced it with the 'contains/may contain' statement. they put this statement on everything so they don't have to bother with a specific allergy statement for each different product. the intentional ingredients of the doughnuts are still vegan.

If I go to the small corner shop style co-op a few miles away the ingredients are listed on the package. However, as the new co-op that has just opened locally to me is supermarket sized I believe they cook the doughnuts in store and therefore don't need to list the ingredients on the package. I wouldn't mind the allergy warning so much if they actually listed ingredients but without them for all I know egg or milk could be actual ingredients.

I don't think any food should be sold without the ingredients being listed on the packaging or on the shelf

I don't like the 'contains or may contain' bit either. It implies that they could just change the recipe at any time without needing to change the packaging.

Why is it always one step forward and two steps back with some of these companies?
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote Risker View Post
    If I go to the small corner shop style co-op a few miles away the ingredients are listed on the package. However, as the new co-op that has just opened locally to me is supermarket sized I believe they cook the doughnuts in store and therefore don't need to list the ingredients on the package. I wouldn't mind the allergy warning so much if they actually listed ingredients but without them for all I know egg or milk could be actual ingredients.
    i see, all the Co-ops near me - even the big ones - have the ingredients listed on the sticky label that seals the bag.

Had anyone mentioned that they do vegan doughnuts as well as iced buns? They are the sugared rather than icing sugared ones, but you can't have it all.........

The majority of the previous page is a discussion about the doughnuts HotSquirrel!
    (If you read the thread you'll see there is some concern over the ingredients listed on some of the doughnut packaging at present.)

I'm sure that page didn't come up, I saw the bit about iced buns but no doughnuts. But then again squirrels aren't particularly good at reading..

Last time I was at a Co-op I bought JAM FILLED ICED BUNS!!!
    This was the best invention EVER.
    I'm popping to the one opposite Archway this evening, I hope they're well stocked!!

Quote HotSquirrel View Post
    But then again squirrels aren't particularly good at reading..
    Good at eating doughnuts though!

Jam filled ice buns! I'm going to be looking out for them!

The iced buns are lush I can eat the whole pack in an afternoon

Quote Est View Post
    The iced buns are lush I can eat the whole pack in an afternoon
    I've done that before.

I eat a whole pack of the donuts on a train once but that made me feel a bit sick.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Yeah, the doughnuts I share between lunch and tea, there's a bit too much sugar on them for one go!

Quote beanstew View Post
    I eat a whole pack of the donuts on a train once but that made me feel a bit sick.
    Nah, that was just motion sickness! Try again when stationary and I bet you'll be fine!

cobweb

those iced buns are so nice (horrible long list of ingredients, though, just don't read it, ha-ha)
    my local co-op stopped doing them though

BlackCats

I just went to the same Co-op where I had previously found the jam doughnuts and this time I found an apple pie, an apple-blackberry pie and those iced jam buns. I also bought those nice seeded batch rolls. This shop also had quite a good range of toiletries and cleaning products. I will be going there all the time now.

cobweb

^ i'm imagining you with your bag of co-op stuff looking very pleased with yourself

BlackCats

Quote cobweb View Post
    ^ i'm imagining you with your bag of co-op stuff looking very pleased with yourself
    I was haha!

^ That and icing sugar round your mouth

Quote Marrers View Post
    Jam filled ice buns! I'm going to be looking out for them!
    I found them and I ate them! Yum!

cobweb

lovely, aren't they Marrers?
    i scored doughnuts and an apple pie this morning.

I found vegan jelly in the co-op today.. Orange flavour with pineapple chunks and it was a pound! Its in the fridge bit.

yay jelly

the large Co-op superstore in Worthing has been sold to Morrisons... i thought it had been going downhill lately. i've never been to a Morrisons before as there haven't been any this near to me before, i've heard they can be ok for vegan products so it'll be interesting to see what this one will be like.

Hi Gorilla. Although Morrisons apparently have won awards for being veggie retailer, they have no vegan labelling, no helpline, no published lists, and (in my experience) no knowledge on vegan products in the stores. If you find it to be any different, I'd be interested to know as our local big shop is a Morrisons too.
    I'd much rather have a co-op. We thought we were getting one when our somerfield got bought, but it's going to sainsburys instead. Could be worse!

cobweb

i used to love my local Morrisons in Peterhead, it sold loads of vegan stuff such as the full range of LM products, plus cheatin slices, different tofus, etc, and a good variety of vegan chocolate. I had a Co-op and a Morrisons on my doorstep and way preferred the Morrisons. A bit cheaper, too .