Thread: Health problems!

Default Health problems!

Went off to see my GP today re: my being overweight problem. I thought he was going to tell me to go away and stop eating pies and to be honest he did sigh a bit when I said I was having problems losing weight due to intolerable food cravings.
    Anyway he condescended to take my blood pressure and it was sky 'head blowing up' high!!!!
    Now I have to have all sorts of tests and blood tests and have to lose 2 stone pronto.
    We talked about me being a vegan and he said, "Thank God" because if I'd been on an omni/t.v dinner diet I probably would have had a fatal stroke by now. I don't look gigantically fat or anything, I am just chubby (stop laughing John) but have been under immense stress recently at uni as I detest the course and hate being there - only 6 months to go - and that along with hereditary factors has obviously played a big part.
    Anyway among the lists of banned food (for now, not permanently) is bread, alcohol, white rice and pasta and sugar in any form.
    Looks like my life is going to be a barrel load of laughs this summer - bike rallies with no alcohol *sigh*.
    Still, nice to get positive feedback about being a vegan from a doctor!!!
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Re: Health problems!

Poor you, Hemlock. Think of how great you'll feel when you've lost that weight and regained your health though.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

What a shame, Hemlock, but I'm glad you got your blood pressure checked because it can cause such problems if you ignore it.

I sympathise about the booze but re food there is plenty of nice stuff not on your "banned" list, so be of good cheer.

Have you had your thyroid checked before?
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Hi, Hemlock. Sorry to hear you're having health problems these days. Kudos to your common sense doctor, though, for understanding that a vegan diet is the healthiest choice, especially for patients suffering from high blood pressure and/or heart disease. Anyone would benefit from the little diet adjustments he suggested. My mom has a sky high blood pressure. She take meds for it, but I still want her to go on a vegan diet. I know it woul improve her condition.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Hope you feel better soon. Glad you're vegan, it's one big step in the right direction!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Hemlock
    Anyway among the lists of banned food (for now, not permanently) is bread, alcohol, white rice and pasta and sugar in any form.
    Sounds like the plan I sent you

It's good to check in with a Doctor from time to time as you've just seen...catching the blood pressure before it becomes a bigger issue is so important! Glad he was supportive of vegan eating!

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Sounds like the plan I sent you

It's good to check in with a Doctor from time to time as you've just seen...catching the blood pressure before it becomes a bigger issue is so important! Glad he was supportive of vegan eating!
    Thank you, yes He asked me what I wanted to do about the weight situation and I said I'd like some miracle drugs, gastric banding or preferably to be put into a coma and wake up thin........his face!!!!! I was only joking but he wasn't sure

They don't like to prescribe weight loss drugs here and I'm not sure I'd want them anyway, they are not vegan I wouldn't think.

No, I don't like the sound of the weightloss drugs at all unless there's no alternative. Apart from anything else some of them seem to have dire side-effects

Can you do anything to up your activity levels? That works for me much better than just watching what I eat, and it would probably help with the stress as well.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote harpy

Can you do anything to up your activity levels? That works for me much better than just watching what I eat, and it would probably help with the stress as well.
    Yes, and it actually will help regulate blood pressure as well!

Yes, I've been wobbling round the area on my bicycle - it's all rolling hills and mountains round here so it's quite challenging.
    I had the bike reconditioned a month ago as it's been rotting in the garden for the last 5 years. It's really hard riding a bike after being used to a motorbike, you have to remember NOT to pull the clutch in when you want to change gears as the clutch is actually the brake and you will fly over the handlebars
    Here is the picture: Chubby middle aged woman wobbling up hill on a bicycle gasping and clutching her chest accompanied by long haired, tattooed, big hairy biker guy in a motorhead teashirt also on a bicycle I think we'll give the lycra cycling shorts a miss for now

No bread.............I'm still in total denial. What am I going to eat my fake ham and mushroom pate with?

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Hemlock

No bread.............I'm still in total denial. What am I going to eat my fake ham and mushroom pate with?
    A bit of brown rice...mixed in with steamed veggies...it'll be good any number of ways (Just make sure it's low in sodium! ).

Quote Hemlock
    Here is the picture: Chubby middle aged woman wobbling up hill on a bicycle gasping and clutching her chest accompanied by long haired, tattooed, big hairy biker guy in a motorhead teashirt also on a bicycle I think we'll give the lycra cycling shorts a miss for now
    LOL!!! youre so funny hemlock.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Thanks, it's all true!
    I'll do that CC, I'm on placement for the next 2 weeks so have to take all my own food for the day, no opportunity for snacking as there are no shops I can get to.

You're doing well on the cycling. Think it might be fatal if I tried to ride a bike up a hill, rolling or not.

Did the doc also proscribe things like oatcakes? I suppose they are fairly calorific but they have a lower GI than most bread so you're satisfied with less/fewer.

Can you have sprouted grain bread?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Hemlock
    He asked me what I wanted to do about the weight situation and I said I'd like some miracle drugs, gastric banding or preferably to be put into a coma and wake up thin........his face!!!!! I was only joking but he wasn't sure
    Ahhhh we have simalar dreams!!!

Quote Hemlock
    Went off to see my GP today re: my being overweight problem. I thought he was going to tell me to go away and stop eating pies and to be honest he did sigh a bit when I said I was having problems losing weight due to intolerable food cravings.
    Anyway he condescended to take my blood pressure and it was sky 'head blowing up' high!!!!
    Now I have to have all sorts of tests and blood tests and have to lose 2 stone pronto.
    We talked about me being a vegan and he said, "Thank God" because if I'd been on an omni/t.v dinner diet I probably would have had a fatal stroke by now. I don't look gigantically fat or anything, I am just chubby (stop laughing John) but have been under immense stress recently at uni as I detest the course and hate being there - only 6 months to go - and that along with hereditary factors has obviously played a big part.
    Looks like my life is going to be a barrel load of laughs this summer - bike rallies with no alcohol *sigh*.
    Still, nice to get positive feedback about being a vegan from a doctor!!!
    Hi,
    I am surprised your doctor did not put salt on the list of banned foods. Too much salt can cause and worsen high blood pressure. Also if you eat salty food it can make you feel more hungry. Sugar can also increase food cravings if it causes blood sugar falls).
    How are you getting on now?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote Hemlock

Can you have gluten free bread? I eat a bread made from brown rice. It has a lot more fiber in it and is low sodium.

I had high blood pressure. Exercises really helped, as did meditation as a way of reducing stress. Make sure that you also drink lots and lots of water to keep water retention to a minimum.

i'm glad your high blood pressure was caught now Hemlock. for what it's worth, i lost a lot of weight by cutting out almost all wheat products, bread in particular. it wasn't easy for me and i've never liked gluten-free bread but i feel a lot healthier and energetic when i don't consume bread.

i quite enjoy rice cakes (although i know some people really hate them!) so that could be another option for your 'ham' and pate. i tried oatcakes but personally found them too dry and stodgy, i soaked them in soup to make them more edible!

i'd agree with cutting out salt too. my dad has high blood pressure and now only uses Lo-Salt, although he is on medication as well. is one of the blood tests you're having to check for diabetes? my mum has type 2 diabetes, she was quite overweight but has lost a lot of weight just by eating smaller meals and reducing sugar and alcohol.

i really hope you find something that works for you
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Rice cakes are great, I found some wholegrain organic salt free ones I can have so hurrah mushroom pate is back on the menu! But all breads are banned. I forgot to mention salt, the list is as long as my arm.
    It was tough at work today, left over sandwiches everywhere, sweets all over the place, luckily none of them vegan!
    Just a matter of self-control now - it's 2006, why haven't they got a miracle cure for obesity yet?????