Thread: What is needed at GreenZones?

GreenMonkey

Default What is needed at GreenZones?

I am trying to create a new environment which is welcoming to non vegans and that just might help them see why they should become vegans. Not by yelling at them and listing a list of facts. But by giving them a rich engaging experience, which just show them that a Vegan lifestyle, a green lifestyle is just the better lifestyle.

You could live this lushes beautiful life, or your McDonalds life.

What does everyone here think. What is needed at GreenZones / G Living to improve the experience and to engage the visitors?

I am asking this, because, I have been a vegan for so long now, that maybe I just don't relate enough to non vegans. I need your help. Also, we now have over 400,000 page views, but very few people interacting. What is missing?

Default Re: How to open up Veganism to Non Vegans

Hi, I've had a brief look at your sites, and the first thing that struck me is that they look much more 'professional' than many vegan/vegetarian sites do, and I'm sure they will be more appealing to people who are used to the kind of modern design often used in commercials etc.

You say that you have more than 400,000 page views and ask what is missing... If there would be a problem with how your site appears, it would rather be the opposite, I guess: nothing is missing (except a link to veganforum.com! ), but it may be a bit too much. You have Editorials, Blogs, CenterStage, G Living Network, GreenZones Network, Podcasts, MyGreenWorld, GPixels, GreenPhoto Essays, TheGreenZones, Forum... you also launch some new terms, like G Knowledge and G living. Some peope may wonder what this is all about - is it a new diet? Or even... a new lifestyle philosophy/religion?

We're all different, and I'm sure this kind of complexity in the way it is presented appeals to people who find many veg*n sites too ugly or boring. I wish I had the money to invest in vegaforum.com, in order to improve how it looks.

Your sites looks great visually, but... what are they all about? I see that you ask for membership/donations/financial support, but I guess that most vegans rather would help building up a site that is totally vegan. I for one, would neversupport a site that under 'Foundations' lists three sites, of which two are based on Weston A. Price's very suspicious anti-vegan crusade.

You mention that raw food may include raw meat, eggs and milk, and still, raw food get A LOT more intention than vegan food on gknowledge.org. This, together with the ties to Weston A. Price, makes me wonder what these sites are all about...? Being vegan is very different from supporting a diet containing milk, meat and eggs, and definitely very different from supporting Weston Price, one of the most notorious anti-vegans that has ever lived!

GreenMonkey

What is it all about? Well, its about Green Living in General. So a little about each part of what that means. Your right about a focus. I have to figure out how to focus each section so any view can quickly figure out where they are and what they can do in that section.

I want to encourage green living. Which to me is all about Vegan living. But the Word vegan doesn't work since, you are or you are not a vegan. It's not welcoming to the general audience.

Viewers are coming to the site, but the goal is to start people interacting and joining in and helping building the articles, blogs, and the wiki. To help expand on the Green Lifestyle information.

We are doing all of this without funding.

Quote GreenMonkey
    What is it all about? Well, its about Green Living in General.
    What is 'Green Living'?

But the Word vegan doesn't work since, you are or you are not a vegan.
    Please elaborate... Does the term 'Green' work better? If the term 'Green' may or may not contain animal products, what does it cover?

You say that the word 'vegan' doesn't work... believe me, it does. Itwas invented by a little froup of people 60 years ago, and can is used 17 200 000 times on internet!

since, you are or you are not a vegan
    That would be the case for a lot of words... like dead. Either you are dead, or you are not dead. The word dead still works...

Viewers are coming to the site, but the goal is to start people interacting and joining in and helping building the articles, blogs, and the wiki.
    Personally, I think this would be a lot more succesful if you would make a decision about either making it a vegan site or a raw food site. Vegans may not feel at home on a site where they may come across recipes using raw meat, or where the 'interacting' may mean yet another discussion with meat eaters pro/against animal products... And what is that tie to Weston A. Price all about? Why are two of the three foundations you list ANTI-vegan sites?

GreenMonkey

There is no Animal Recipes on GreenChefs. All raw meals are vegan. The site is a vegan site.

That is the set standard, we only cover vegan products, foods, and lifestyles.

Well, if this is a raw food site, as opposed to a vegan raw food site, those recipes will pop up soon, don't you think (for example in the forums)?

From an ethical point of view, the term 'raw food' doesn't mean much more than 'Indian food'. Vegans are against eating non-vegan raw food, because vegans are against eating animal products. If you don't include non-vegan food in your 'Green'-term, why not be clear about itm, and state that your does not involve use of animal products at all?

And again, why the tie to the meat advocates (Weston A. Price)? IMO the only healthy way to relate to them would be to argue against them, or boycott them, not to promote them. We've had a troll here earlier (in "Veganforum1" who was very busy promoting Weston A. Price (until she was banned) while pretending that she was conisdering going vegan... I don't know what's worst; sites like Weston A. Price which clearly are against being vegan, or veganhealth.org, who say that they are pro being vegan, but almost present veganism as some kind of health problem that needs to be cured...

If you are a vegan, and can afford to create such a large site/concept without any money from the outside, why not make a site that is clearly against animal products and which do not promote foundtations which main purpose seem to be to fight against veganism? After all, if you're not dependent on anyone else's money, you can do whatever you want with your sites, can't you?

GreenMonkey

I guess I am missing your point. We don't promote anything that is not vegan. A Vegan Raw diet is vegan. Yes there are different types of Raw diets, but we don't cover those on the site. I don't even know who Weston A Price is.

And I think the site is pretty clear it's about Green Living. And for us, green living is a vegan lifestyle. But we focus on all aspects of what is involved in green living, which includes building, furniture, clothing, the environment and what you eat.

And its not if I am a vegan, I am a vegan. I want to create a welcoming environment for everyone who wants to live a green life. So they will be open to thinking about how they can start changing different aspects of their lives.

I don't even know who Weston A Price is.
    Why the links to his sites/foundtations on your sites then?

GreenMonkey

Where? Not on anything I create. In the forum some where? Can you send me a link?

GreenMonkey

I found it, in the forum. That is a posting by Leslie. I do not agree with her, but I am not going to sensor comments and postings made by people. You should post to talk to her about that.

Jana, if you read the next post by Jana, you see she disagree's with Leslie and points out where and who made that study and what their real interest is all about.

I don't know anything about who he is or what that is all about. I will read up on it.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote GreenMonkey
    I am trying to create a new environment which is welcoming to non vegans and that just might help them see why they should become vegans. Not by yelling at them and listing a list of facts. But by giving them a rich engaging experience, which just show them that a Vegan lifestyle, a green lifestyle is just the better lifestyle.
    As I've already said, I LOVE the lush, polished look of your site! VERY professional. I really *do* wish you'd make it completely vegan though, and take the honey out of the recipes alltogether because, as noted, agave works perfectly and is cruelty-free.

I saw it on the gknowledge-site, under Raw Food.

GreenMonkey

I just removed it from the G.Knowledge page. You know you can also edit those pages. Its a wiki, which means every page is created by the public. So please add your knowledge to it.

The vegan section really needs a lot more information.

I don't know anything about that person, but I will start researching it.

GreenMonkey

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    As I've already said, I LOVE the lush, polished look of your site! VERY professional. I really *do* wish you'd make it completely vegan though, and take the honey out of the recipes alltogether because, as noted, agave works perfectly and is cruelty-free.

Help me add some completely Vegan recipes to the site. I edited the raw recipes to make sure they reflected what Vegans would do. Like myself.

We really need some great Vegan Recipe photos and recipes.

The site looks polished on the one hand, but on the other there is far too much going on. I have no clue how to navigate it, and the pages are too long. It feels like the style and design is at the cost of user-friendliness.

Losing the huge navigation area at the top (which is both confusing and full of dead links), and the big picture would help a lot in making the site more approachable.

GreenMonkey

Well, I guess I need to get back to work then.

We had a major server problem in the last few days so, some of the dead links maybe DNS problems. And the main cover pages are in the process of being updated and changed to be shorter and help direct you to the content. I agree, the cover pages are tooo long and don't explain anything. But keep in mind, its just me making everything right now, so it takes a little while to get things changed and re-designed.

GreenMonkey

Default GreenZones Forums

Okay, so I have updated the functions of our forums to have the same navigation as the rest of the site. Which I think looks pretty good now. But there is something missing.

(here is the forum so far) http://mygreenworld.org/forums

I think because we cover so many parts of green living and not just being a vegan, or just green building and so on. I think I will break the forum up this weekend.

What do you think? I was thinking of dividing the forum to focus on each subject and or group. Like a Vegan / Raw Vegan forum, Green Building Architecture, Garden Designs Forum, Green Fitness Forum, Travel and Lifestyle Forum, and maybe a Green World News Forum.

Those are just my rough ideas right now. I would like the forum to be inviting for the 1000's of people just viewing them and not posting.

Let me know what you think. I am new to forums so I am looking for help for people here with a lot of experience on the forums.

Thanks