Thread: Soy milk & work colleague discussion...

Default Soy milk & work colleague discussion...

Minding my own business this morning pouring my soy milk on my muesli in the canteen a co-worker decided to critisize my use of soy milk.
    'Do you know more people are soy intolerant than milk intolerant' he quipped.

'I find that hard to believe' I replied, 'especially as many Asian's, Chinese & Africans are lactose intolerant. In fact I think you will find that a lot of the world's population apart from caucasian North Europeans & their descendants are lactose intolerant to some degree'

'Well most people mistakenly self diagnose themselves as lactose intolerant, when they are not' was his reply.

'Oh' I retorted, 'I am not lactose intolerant at all, merely cruelty intolerant' to which there was no reply just a grunt as he walked off!

Default Re: Soy milk & work colleague discussion...

Good one!

But also keep in mind, soy allergies are pretty common.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I know some people really do have soy allergies but some people at work are just scared of soy. I mean they don't check ingredients on anything they eat...like bread (and a lot of the breads they eat have soy). They just think it's ucky. Anyway she wasn't pushing soy milk on them. When I bring a dish to pass I just let them know if I used tofu in it or not. Usually they take a few bites, realize it tastes ok, and go back and finish it all off.

Pfft, soy intolerance. That's why we have rice milk and almond milk. Who needs soy?

LOL

Good one veg out - I love cruelty intolerant. I may use that next time I visit a restaurant with arrogant waiters

haha. That was good.

you should have brought up that unless he's a calf, he should be suckling his momma's boob if he wants some milk....or drinking plant-based.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Quote Artichoke47
    haha. That was good.

you should have brought up that unless he's a calf, he should be suckling his momma's boob if he wants some milk....or drinking plant-based.

hahahaha!

Quote vegout
    Minding my own business this morning pouring my soy milk on my muesli in the canteen a co-worker decided to critisize my use of soy milk.
    'Do you know more people are soy intolerant than milk intolerant' he quipped.

'I find that hard to believe' I replied, 'especially as many Asian's, Chinese & Africans are lactose intolerant. In fact I think you will find that a lot of the world's population apart from caucasian North Europeans & their descendants are lactose intolerant to some degree'

'Well most people mistakenly self diagnose themselves as lactose intolerant, when they are not' was his reply.

'Oh' I retorted, 'I am not lactose intolerant at all, merely cruelty intolerant' to which there was no reply just a grunt as he walked off!

i love it
    i can never think of quick-witted responses

The dairy industry has done a fine job of brain washing America.

I have seen stated in many places that between 50% - 70% of the global adult population can not completely tolerate lactose. Thais, Chinese and Native American Indians have the highest percentage of lactose intolerance, followed by Africans, Australian Aborigines, and African Americans. The mutts of the US (meaning many nationalities combined) have the most tolerance. But, this is really an evolution that has occurred, since it is not biologically necessary to produce lactase (to metabolize lactose in the milk) after about the first 3% of your life, after which, a normal animal baby would be weened.

The highest % that I have seen associated with a soy allergy is 2% (I saw one crazy site list 20%- but no "reputable" site says anything close to that). But, that appears to be in the US and associated with people who also have peanut allergies.

Wasn't it the dairy industry that tried getting the milk removed from soy, rice, almond milk because they feared the competition? Also, I heard that because of the legal squabbles brought about by the dairy company many grocery stores stock the vegan alternatives in a separate area than the dairy....

Quote lozza
    i love it
    i can never think of quick-witted responses
    Me neither!
    I would have been the person grunting and trying to bury my head in my cereal.