Thread: Homeschooling: Teaching Health, Cooking

Default Homeschooling: Teaching Health, Cooking

Fortunately, because I homeschool, I do not have to worry about the lies that are taught to children in schools today about health and diet. However, I'm having trouble finding any vegan curriculum for my kids. I want to teach them Health and also Cooking. For now, this will be for my 12yr-old and hopefully something for my 6yr-old, too.

Do any of you know of a good publisher, or do you think I will have to create my own material? If latter, what websites and/or books do you recommend?

Thank you. As it is, I have to 'edit' the stupid comments out of some of the teaching materials I have, (like for science the stupid thing said "God made fish for us to eat" ) so I'm getting kinda annoyed.

Default Re: homeschooling: teaching Health, Cooking

Hi Peas'n'Hominy.

I home educate my children too. My daughter's 12. But I've never bothered with specific health and cooking 'teaching materials', because I feel she's learning very well just from day-to-day experience, and from me discussing the issues with her.

She loves cooking herself, looking through our cookery books and finding new recipes on the internet, from vegan recipe sites. She also invents new recipes with her 17 year old brother.

She's learnt a lot about nutrition just from the fact that being vegan, she reads all the ingredients and nutritional information on labels.

I can hardly believe that 'God made fish for us to eat' comment in a SCIENCE book When we come across ridiculous things like this, we discuss the veracity of the text in general. One problem I've found is my kids' tendency to dismiss ALL information in a book with obvious untruths as being untrustworthy or patronising, and throwing out the baby with the bathwater. So it's definitely better to try to find books which are consistently reliable.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I'm definitely interested in any good links for vegan-friendly homeschooling literature. We will be homeschooling our little ones, I guess technically, they are already being homeschooled since life is one big learning experience.

Peas, I do recommend www.vegfamily.com for further advice about homeschooling/unschooling. There are many vegan moms on that site who homeschool or unschool.

Quote Peas'nHominy
    As it is, I have to 'edit' the stupid comments out of some of the teaching materials I have, (like for science the stupid thing said "God made fish for us to eat" ) so I'm getting kinda annoyed.
    You have GOT to be kidding!

Yes, it really did say that! I'm using Christian books and materials, being that I'm a Christian, but I was SO shocked. I know many (maybe most?) Christians are omnivorous, but hey, I read the book of Genesis, and I don't at all recall any passages supporting the idea that God's purpose for creating fish is for humans to eat them! And I'm certainly not about to teach my kids that! (Actually, my understanding of what I read is when Adam and Eve were living in The Garden and in close relationship to the Lord, they were not eating flesh! )

I'm thinking about teaching the vegan food pyramid. For my 12-yr-old, I thought I could also compare it to the omni food pyramid, then use that as a spring board to explain the arguments of the omni's, why they're wrong, why vegan eating is better, etc. What do y'all think?

And I'm wondering, is the time right to tell and maybe even show my 12-yr-old how farm animals are treated? And then, maybe tell my 6-yr-old, but not actually show her any vidoes yet? I mean, I want them to learn the truth, but I want to be careful about age appropriateness.

Thanks feline for the website. It looks really good. I'm checking them out.

LunaLovegood

Hi there !

I'm new to this site, very happy to have found you

I found a couple of interesting things last year. I went to Farm Sanctuary's website and ordered the Cultivating Compassion teacher guide packet, booklet and VHS. It's great. You can order different levels and there are lots of activities to do.

Also ordered (free) the teaching pack from the USA Dry Peas, Lentils and Chickpeas Council at www.pea-lentil.com
    Some recipes included in the pack are not vegetarian but they can be easily be made vegan. I ordered it mainly for the facts on legumes.

I had ordered something from a Soy council of some sort but never received it....I had an address for free resources for teachers that I can't seem to find in my mess of papers...

Blessings,
    Luna

Quote LunaLovegood
    Hi there !

I'm new to this site, very happy to have found you

I found a couple of interesting things last year. I went to Farm Sanctuary's website and ordered the Cultivating Compassion teacher guide packet, booklet and VHS. It's great. You can order different levels and there are lots of activities to do.

Also ordered (free) the teaching pack from the USA Dry Peas, Lentils and Chickpeas Council at www.pea-lentil.com
    Some recipes included in the pack are not vegetarian but they can be easily be made vegan. I ordered it mainly for the facts on legumes.

I had ordered something from a Soy council of some sort but never received it....I had an address for free resources for teachers that I can't seem to find in my mess of papers...

Blessings,
    Luna

welcome luna

p.s. say hi to harry for me
    hows things at hogwarts??

p.p.s. where do you live in the muggle world??

LunaLovegood

Quote cedarblue
    welcome luna

p.s. say hi to harry for me
    hows things at hogwarts??

p.p.s. where do you live in the muggle world??
    Thanks for the welcome Cedarblue
    I'll kiss Harry for you (I'll jump on the opportunity )

I'm deep in Muggle Quebec in Canada, where everything in upside down

Hello all Homeschoolers out there,

A big disadvantage of homeschooling is the lack of friends, which our children do need, especially around ages 6 and up.
    I am looking urgently for vegan homeschoolers in the Brighton area.
    Anyone?
    We have three little homeschooled boys 4y, 7y and 10y old.
    And we want to have friends who are vegans and live close to us for lotsa fun and pyjama parties.
    Please pass on the message!!!!
    Thank you sooo much.
    DanielaVanilla

Brighton, England

Hi Daniela. Are you a member of Education Otherwise? http://www.education-otherwise.org/ They send out a confidential contact list to members which is broken down by area. My list (from 2004) has quite a few families from Brighton. If you get a copy, you could send out a general email to all from the Brighton area enquiring about vegan families.

Good luck in your search.

Thumbs up Re: Homeschooling: Teaching Health, Cooking

Thank you so much for your help.
    I contacted them already.

I hope that we can have pyjama parties here soon.

Om OM'
    Daniela

Default Re: Homeschooling: Teaching Health, Cooking

I hope so. I'm sure there must be other home-ed vegan families within reach of Brighton. If I hear of any I'll be sure to point them in your direction!

Smile Re: Homeschooling: Teaching Health, Cooking

Thank you Sluggie,
    have a cozy weekend in Hampshire!!

Love from Brighton
    Dani