1 large bunch of fresh parsely, finely chopped
    1 large bunch of mint, finely chopped
    1 large green pepper, finely chopped
    1/2 an English cucumber, finely chopped
    1 cup of tofu, finely cubed (optional)
    1-2 cans of chick peas, rinsed and drained
    2 whacking great big carrots, grated or finely chopped
    1/2 of a cup of olive oil
    1/2-2/3 cup of fresh lemon juice (i like it really lemony)
    2 tsp. minced garlic (i use about 4 cloves)
    freshly ground pepper and if desired, some Mrs. Dash or Spike seasoning

Helpful hint:

Use an electric food chopper for all the vegetable ingredients,
    otherwise it would be an extremely tedious, time-consuming task,
    since all the vegetables should be chopped very finely, well minced.

Instructions:

Boil water in a kettle, and dump the dry bulgur/couscous into a bowl, and when the water's boiled, pour over the bulgur/couscous, until there's just enough to cover. Set aside, covered, for at least 20 mins.....after which, fluff it with a fork, and dump into a large mixing bowl, in which you'll make the tabouli. Rinse and drain the canned chick peas, and add to the large mixing bowl. Finely chop (preferably in an electric food chopper) all vegetable and herb ingredients, one by one, and add to the mixing bowl, stirring everything up well as you go. Juice the lemons, and in a jar or similar container with a tight fitting lid, pour the lemon juice, olive oil, and the herb/spice seasoning and pepper, and shake vigorously until well mixed.....then pour over the ingredients in the mixing bowl, and stir in well.

Ready to serve! Suggestion.....serve on a bed of lettuce and/or spinach leaves.

Way too delicious!!! YUMMM!!!!!

Default Re: raw food recipes wanted

A website: http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/ there's also http://fruitnut.net and http://www.rawtimes.com/rawlifedigest/v01.n413
    http://experts.about.com/q/885/604084.htm
    Good luck adam, guess I eat 80 percent raw, and use the other 20per cent with a slice of grainy bread, soymilk, tahini, miso, etc.
    Eve

Let Me View, I wouldn't call that tabouli salad. Maybe a tabouli-inspired salad. There's no carrots, chickpeas, or tofu in traditional tabouli.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote let_me_view
    Tabouli Recipe/Instructions

Ingredients:

1 cup of bulgur, or couscous, or half a cup of each
    4 green onions, finely chopped
    4 tomatoes, finely chopped
    1 large bunch of fresh parsely, finely chopped
    1 large bunch of mint, finely chopped
    1 large green pepper, finely chopped
    1/2 an English cucumber, finely chopped
    1 cup of tofu, finely cubed (optional)
    1-2 cans of chick peas, rinsed and drained
    2 whacking great big carrots, grated or finely chopped
    1/2 of a cup of olive oil
    1/2-2/3 cup of fresh lemon juice (i like it really lemony)
    2 tsp. minced garlic (i use about 4 cloves)
    freshly ground pepper and if desired, some Mrs. Dash or Spike seasoning

Helpful hint:

Use an electric food chopper for all the vegetable ingredients,
    otherwise it would be an extremely tedious, time-consuming task,
    since all the vegetables should be chopped very finely, well minced.

Instructions:

Boil water in a kettle, and dump the dry bulgur/couscous into a bowl, and when the water's boiled, pour over the bulgur/couscous, until there's just enough to cover. Set aside, covered, for at least 20 mins.....after which, fluff it with a fork, and dump into a large mixing bowl, in which you'll make the tabouli. Rinse and drain the canned chick peas, and add to the large mixing bowl. Finely chop (preferably in an electric food chopper) all vegetable and herb ingredients, one by one, and add to the mixing bowl, stirring everything up well as you go. Juice the lemons, and in a jar or similar container with a tight fitting lid, pour the lemon juice, olive oil, and the herb/spice seasoning and pepper, and shake vigorously until well mixed.....then pour over the ingredients in the mixing bowl, and stir in well.

Ready to serve! Suggestion.....serve on a bed of lettuce and/or spinach leaves.

Way too delicious!!! YUMMM!!!!!

Lovely recipe!

Here are a few adaptations that will make it raw:

Substitute sprouted quinoa for the couscous/bulgar

Omit the tofu

Substitute spouted chickpeas for the canned ones or omit alltogether

Cold Vietnamese Spring Rolls
    1 cup julienned carrots
    2 cups mung bean sprouts
    2 cups julienned seeded cucumber
    1 cup minced scallions
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
    16 rice paper wrappers

Toss first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Dip one rice paper wrapper into cold water. Shake off excess water. Place vegetable filling off-center on rice paper and wrap like a burrito. Repeat with remaining vegetable filling and rice paper wrappers.

Spring rolls may be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover with damp clean kitchen towel then plastic and refrigerate.

Crushed Peanut and Lime Vinaigrette

1/2 cup fresh lime juice1/4 cup haine organic brown sugar

2 1/2 tablespoons lite soy sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons chili oil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup crushed toasted peanuts

Combine all ingredients in small glass bowl.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

is the bulgar above raw if its been 'cooked' in boiling water?
    are rice, quinoa, millet strictly raw items?

ConsciousCuisine

Quote cedarblue
    is the bulgar above raw if its been 'cooked' in boiling water?
    are rice, quinoa, millet strictly raw items?

For truly "raw" food purposes, anything heated over 108-116 degrees F (a generally accepted range) is considered "cooked" because it is heated to the point where enzymes begin to be killed off.

Boiling water is certainly much higher than that, so that makes it not raw. Also, bulgar and cousucous are cooked to begin with, so they aren't "raw".

Rice, quinoa and millet aren't always "raw" even in bulk form.

Wild rice isn't really rice and is not usually "raw" as it is steamed at very high temperatures and won't sprout but instead will split.

Quinoa (when rinsed well and then allowed to soak and then be rinsed again a few times) will sprout and make a nutrient-dense, easy and versatile raw protein/fiber source.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote adam antichrist
    I am thinking of going raw one day per week (to start with) and would appreciate any tried and true recipes that consist of typically available foods (brocolli, carrots etc) and don't require a dehydrator.

Any ideas guys?

Also web links appreciated.

TIA

Did you want raw food recipes or just easily assembled raw/cooked recipes? I ask because the recipes people are posting are not "raw" and if you'd like some good options for truly raw recipes, I would suggest checking out "The Raw Gourmet" by Nomi Shannon at your local library

Letting the bulgur soak in lukewarm water for a while helps soften it up instead of pouring boilling water over it.

Sweet Stuff--"Energy Laddu"--Home made

You have to mix following together, shape them in to like small ball like. You can keep them for longer times too.

Meshed Dates
    Grated Dry coconut preferably
    Crushed peanuts
    Almond flour
    Raisin
    Walnuts Flour
    Sesame seeds in crushed form
    Saffron leaves
    Pinch of Cardamom powder ( for natural flavouring )

If you get edible plant based Gum then powdered gums it will also act as adhesives. In India we call it "Gond".

Powdered Poppy seeds

Sunflower sweeds/Pumpkin seeds/Meat of Water melon seeds

You may try to add little bit dark color chick peas' fine flour
    Brown Sugar (If you have sweet tooth)

Mix them well, turn them in to small ball shape little bigger than table tennis ball.Store them in a dry jar. No need to freez.

Enjoy "Energy Laddu"

Manish Jain

Some simple ideas...

Make kabobs out of your favorite raw veggies and mushrooms. Use different colors or even cut in different shapes for fun and variety. Lay on top of a salad leaf (like maybe Kale or something pretty). I also like to squeeze a lemon slice over the kabob.

Cut up a few of your favorite fruits and mix together. Could serve on the side with the kabobs. (I've heard of some people sprinkling a few raw seeds or nuts on top of this, but I haven't tried it yet...and I'm not sure, but I've heard you have to be careful about raw nuts, like I think peanuts should not be eaten raw!)

Squeeze a little lemon or lime or orange into tall glass of drinking water.

You could also consider making wraps using large leafs. Shredded carrots, sprouts, slices of your favorites. Could mash up an avocado with well-chopped up tomatoes to make a spread.

I like thinly sliced raw potatoes. If not too thinly sliced, or cut like a stick, you can use it (or carrot sticks, celery, etc., whatever you like) to dunk into a salsa or avocado concoction/dip -- make in your blender/experiment to see what you like.

Cut a cantalope or avocado in half, and use the rine/skin like a serving bowl as a more fun way to serve your food.

IMO, it's not just the food, but also how it's presented.

oh, also...

I like adding fruit to what would normally just be a regular veggie salad. I put in the veggies just like I was making a regular salad, but then add a little fruit (examples: mango, tangerine, cherries, so-on). For a little touch of "dressing," I like to squeeze a lemon slice over it (or if I add some pineapple cuts, I sprinkle the salad with pineapple juice). *Personally, I find using spinach leafs best for this kind of salad.

You can use some other stronger veggies and top it. (like some people top a cracker)

Think about what you can stuff, like bell peppers. You can shred up some carrots, cucumber bits, mushrooms. I even like a little raw peas and/or snow peas and/or green beans stuffed in...or if I'm in a really weird mood, a little raw squash/zucchini.

I guess think about what your favorites are, then get creative.

As you discover stuff you like, could you share it with us?

cross barer

Thanks everybody for your input.

Today is my first ever raw food friday!!!!

For brekky I just had pineapple, mandarin and orange chooped up (couldn't believe I was full from just one each and a few slices of pi9neapple!).

For lunch, here is my first ever raw food creation:

This is mashed avocado and bana on a bed of cos lettuce. I put some lime juice and the little green endy bits off broccoli into the mash, placed it on top of the lettuce as well as some chunky tomato and celery then garnished with banana slices, red grapes, alfalfa sprouts and a celery leaf cause I'm an artist mate an artist.

And I forgot the carrot! Oh well, it did need colour on top and I was thinking it was a pity I didn't buy a nice red or yellow pepper (don't really like them raw) forgetting I have a fridge full of fresh carrots.

Tonight I hope to try one of your recipes, but only if I have time. I have to get an assignment finished now. Thanks again everybody!

that photo looks good adam

personally the only thing i couldnt do is eat mashed banana with savoury stuff, ugh ugh ugh

was it all nice in the end?

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    Letting the bulgur soak in lukewarm water for a while helps soften it up instead of pouring boilling water over it.

Right, but the bulgur itself is not "raw" when you purchase it. It has been heated/cooked.

cross barer

Quote cedarblue
    that photo looks good adam

personally the only thing i couldnt do is eat mashed banana with savoury stuff, ugh ugh ugh

was it all nice in the end?
    yes yum yum yum yum yum.

Answering earlier questions, I am keen to eat only raw or 'live' foods for these meals, although I am still allowing myself to drink tea on these days. I am hoping to do a fast and raw food detox diet after my exams so I am just testing the water so to speak. The diet I will try is very sparse but I figure if I already like a few dishes then it might be easier to eat more raw foods.

So questions: I have been soaking some organic red kidney beans since last night but they don't taste very nice. Anybody experienced in this ingrediant? Should I avoid eating them uncooked?

er, i dont think you should be eating red kidney beans raw! they should always be boiled to kill off toxins they contain.

cross barer

Quote cedarblue
    er, i dont think you should be eating red kidney beans raw! they should always be boiled to kill off toxins they contain.
    thanks!

ConsciousCuisine

Adam, there are lists of foods commonly thought tobe raw or "live" but aren't. You can do a search or just ask questions if you need to.

is soya milk/tofu considered raw? I was under the impression that it's heated during preperation.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

ConsciousCuisine

^^Those are both highly processed, heated and cooked foods.

what about if you make them yourself? Is it possible to make soya milk without heat? I've made nut milks without heating (finely milled nuts, water and a drop of oil)

ConsciousCuisine

Nut and seed milks are very easy to make at home, as are some grain milks! Soybeans should not be eaten raw. There are enzyme inhibitors and raw soy is toxic. Keep in mind that many oils aren't "raw" either.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Keep in mind that many oils aren't "raw" either
    Yea, i figured that.

Actually, I'm just posting out of curiosity (as opposed to being a complete troll). I'm not interested in raw food at this point of my life from a health basis, as I already feel that I eat a hell of a lot more healthily than the average UK person. From a saving energy from cooking point of view, if i cared that much I'd rather spend less time on the net than give up cooking

I may change my mind at some point thou, so it's good to find out stuff

Ooo--weeee, AA, that looks sooooo good!! Hey, you inspire me. I'm going to join you in having only raw foods once a week.

Well, something's come up which also has influenced my decision. I even wonder if I should go raw for more than one day a week. Here's the situation:

I was sitting outside with Danny (black lab), and he was acting VERY different. I was sitting in a chair and he kept getting up right in my face - I mean, eye-to-eye and nose-to-nose kind of thing. He'd smell my face, get down, make a circle, get back in my face, lick my face all over, get back down -- on and on. At one point he put his paws up on my shoulders and looked me square in the eyes, sniffed and licked my face, then looked me square in the eyes again, still keeping his paws on my shoulders. He NEVER acts likes this.

I knew Danny was trying to tell me something. I took a good look at my face in a mirror, and discovered some..."thing" on the skin on my nose. It's not just a pimple, either. I called my mom and found out that, at my age, she, and her mother at my age, developed skin cancer on their noses. Freaky, huh?

I told my husband about Danny's behavior and what my mother told me. He reminded me that dogs can sense things that we can't, and that I had better get to the doctor about it.

Well, I guess I'll go to a dermatologist now. In the meantime, I've heard that going raw helps with all kinds of problems, including cancers.

I'm not worried about it, but I guess I'd better take it seriously. Danny acted like he wanted to nip at my nose, and I think I'd rather have a doctor do it!!

On the Coast

This restaurant just opened in my neck of the woods; --> La Vie
    You can peruse their menu to maybe give you some ideas. Our Vegan and Veggie Meetup just went there, and it was crazy good - . They are very nice folks to, so I bet if you emailed them, they would send you some recipe ideas -

cross barer

Quote Peas'nHominy
    Ooo--weeee, AA, that looks sooooo good!! Hey, you inspire me. I'm going to join you in having only raw foods once a week.

Well, something's come up which also has influenced my decision. I even wonder if I should go raw for more than one day a week. Here's the situation:

I was sitting outside with Danny (black lab), and he was acting VERY different. I was sitting in a chair and he kept getting up right in my face - I mean, eye-to-eye and nose-to-nose kind of thing. He'd smell my face, get down, make a circle, get back in my face, lick my face all over, get back down -- on and on. At one point he put his paws up on my shoulders and looked me square in the eyes, sniffed and licked my face, then looked me square in the eyes again, still keeping his paws on my shoulders. He NEVER acts likes this.

I knew Danny was trying to tell me something. I took a good look at my face in a mirror, and discovered some..."thing" on the skin on my nose. It's not just a pimple, either. I called my mom and found out that, at my age, she, and her mother at my age, developed skin cancer on their noses. Freaky, huh?

I told my husband about Danny's behavior and what my mother told me. He reminded me that dogs can sense things that we can't, and that I had better get to the doctor about it.

Well, I guess I'll go to a dermatologist now. In the meantime, I've heard that going raw helps with all kinds of problems, including cancers.

I'm not worried about it, but I guess I'd better take it seriously. Danny acted like he wanted to nip at my nose, and I think I'd rather have a doctor do it!!
    Don't be worried Peas, my mum has had tonnes of little skin things dealt with and they have never spread.

I don't wish to alarm you, but my friend who is a vegan radiologist works with many people who have terminal cancers. She says that often people come in and the tumour (in the breast for example) is so bad it has broken through the skin and has a teriible smell.

Perhaps the pup can smell the spot, in which case I'd keep him close by all the time!

I want to compliment Adam on his salad. That looks really appetizing!

When my partner gets home next week, I want to try this raw restaurant in San Francisco. I understand that presentation is a big part of the experience and according to the website, this place is exquisite. Quite honestly, presentation should be a HUGE part of any dining experience. As you can imagine my friends know I'm a food snob.

You get an A, Adam
    Carve a pumpkin, Go to prison! :eek:

ConsciousCuisine

If it's Juliano's you are going to, be prepared for crappy, petulant service , unskilled workers, and a severly overpriced meal.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    If it's Juliano's you are going to, be prepared for crappy, petulant service , unskilled workers, and a severly overpriced meal.
    Actually that wasn't the one. I think I'll stay away from it! Have you gone to Cafe Gratitude? Please don't say Cafe Attitude, such an obvious pun!
    Carve a pumpkin, Go to prison! :eek:

cross barer

Today was my second raw food friday. No pics today, because I was busy studying and didn't make anything too special.

Breakfast: orange and mandarine segments.

Lunch: guacomale with cucumber and carrot in a pita (yes I know)

Dinner: variations on lunch with dried fruit for dessert.

I really need a food processor or juicer so I can get more variety in my meals .

Can't wait till my exams are over, then I can do a detox diet and I won't have to incorporate flour to prevent feeling ill late in the day.

Okay, this is not a recipe, but I was kinda surprised -- did the raw thang the other day and dropped 3.5 pounds. Thought that was weird, but I wasn't hungry and I felt great. I felt so good I think I'll go raw for more than once a week.

shouldn't eat no beans plain raw, to eat em em raw should sprout em. then they're perfect. Peanuts are in this catagory too. They aren't nuts they're legumes.

Quote Phil
    Hello Adam,
    Re: skin cancers. Look up 'essiac tea' on line and use sheeps sorrel on the skin cancer. Essiac tea is a natural herb mixture which was passed down from the Objibwa indians to a woman with breast cancer and she was cured. The nurse who was tending her tried it on other of her patients and they were healed. The sheeps sorrel is the herb. you drink the tea. You make a tea out of plain sheeps sorrel without the other herbs and you apply the poultice every day. It takes three months for the skin cancer to go but it's worth a try. If you want to try it, the herbs are available online anywhere. I don't know if your name 'AntiChrist' means just that, but if so. go to hallelujah acres, miss out the religious stuff. and read how Reverend Malkamus healed himself of cancer. His secret was wheatgrass juice every day and 8 glasses of carrot juice each day. plus raw foods. Give it a try. Also, look up 'Dr. Ann Wigmore' read the good news for cancer sufferers.
    God bless you and your family.
    Phil
    Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks Phil (I'm the one with the possible issue...I still haven't made an appointment...I just HATE going to doctors... )

Woe, I just got it ... 8 glasses of carrot juice? I'm not sure I could do it I guess I should try, though? Hmmm...

Adam
    Here is a recipe for a raw food avocado lemon mousse.
    Warning Mr Will Robinson ..very rich

Avocado lemon mousse

2 avocados
    juice and rind of 1 lemon
    1 cup dates
    some sweetener if desired

Process until smoothe and refridgerate

I can only eat small amounts of this at a time, but find it useful when I have cravings for sweet food.

Quote adam antichrist
    Thanks everybody for your input.

Today is my first ever raw food friday!!!!

For brekky I just had pineapple, mandarin and orange chooped up (couldn't believe I was full from just one each and a few slices of pi9neapple!).

For lunch, here is my first ever raw food creation:

This is mashed avocado and bana on a bed of cos lettuce. I put some lime juice and the little green endy bits off broccoli into the mash, placed it on top of the lettuce as well as some chunky tomato and celery then garnished with banana slices, red grapes, alfalfa sprouts and a celery leaf cause I'm an artist mate an artist.

And I forgot the carrot! Oh well, it did need colour on top and I was thinking it was a pity I didn't buy a nice red or yellow pepper (don't really like them raw) forgetting I have a fridge full of fresh carrots.

Tonight I hope to try one of your recipes, but only if I have time. I have to get an assignment finished now. Thanks again everybody!
    Adam, come back!! I've only just seen this and i've decided i need to elope to Australia to be with you......
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron