Thread: Pasta Sauce

Default Pasta Sauce

i was recently having a craving for fettucine alfredo. i found a recipe for this sauce and it looks really good. i just thought id share =)

1 pkg. lowfat silken tofu
    3 tablespoon vegan butter-flavored powder
    1/4 cup vegan soy parmesan
    2T nutritional yeast
    veggie broth
    salt and pepper to taste
    cooked rotini, or your favorite

(i also saw sum people say they added two or three cloves of garlic, and also nutmeg to make it even better. i use vegan butter instead of the butter flavouring as usually butter flavour isnt vegan)

http://vegweb.com/food/misc/2223.shtml

theres the link.

ugh i just have to say that i just made this and it was so delicious. my sister even ate it and didnt believe that it wasnt dairy. so yummy!

Default Spaghetti with Lentil Tomato Sauce

From Very Vegetarian (vegan cookbook) by Jannequin Bennett with Carl Lewis

I make this sauce and freeze it; then I make the spaghetti when I'm ready to eat the sauce. It's wonderful! I use red lentils instead of brown and also add a can or two of diced tomatoes.

Serves 4

1 cup brown lentils
    1/2 tsp. dried thyme
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    2 cups tomato sauce
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or less for a less spicey sauce)
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. salt
    8 ounces thin spaghetti
    1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
    3 or 4 sprigs of parsley (optional)

Bring the lentils, thyme, basil, and 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the lentils are al dente, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the lentils.

Combine the lentils, tomato sauce, onion, pepper, pepper flakes, oregano, and salt in a saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain and rinse. Toss the spaghetti with olive oil (I don't do this). Pour the sauce over the noodles. Garnish with parsley.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Mmm, thank you for posting that - it sounds delicious, and nice and easy as well.

I'm definitely going to try it. I will probably use a mixture of spaghetti and lightly steamed vegetables rather than just spaghetti. That sauce sounds as if it would go well with broccoli for example?

I don't know if it will go well with broccoli. Maybe I'll have to try it!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Default vegan fettucine alfredo sauce recipe for feline01 :)

this is my version:

1 pkg soft tofu
    2 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
    1 1/2 - 2 tsp nutmeg
    2-3 cloves garlic
    2 tsp vegan cream cheese
    1/4 cup veggie broth
    3 tbsp vegan butter
    1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (to thicken)
    1-2 tbsp sundried tomatoes (if u feel like sundried tomato alfredo sauce! its optional)
    1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
    sea salt and pepper to taste

blend all ingredients together until smooth. pour into pot and heat on medium-high until hot. pour over pasta.

this is one of my absolute favorite recipes. ive done alot of readjusting to this recipe and this is what i came up with. i think the basic recipe is good (without the nutmeg, sundried tomatoes, chili pepper flakes) to use as a creamy sauce to add things to such as vegan sour cream and chives for a sour cream and chive kindof pasta. i havnt tried this yet tho
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Yippee, Thanks Foxy!
    Can't make it tonight though, don't have any vegan cream cheese or veggie broth

Quote foxytina_69
    this is my version:

1 pkg soft tofu
    2 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
    1 1/2 - 2 tsp nutmeg
    2-3 cloves garlic
    2 tsp vegan cream cheese
    1/4 cup veggie broth
    3 tbsp vegan butter
    1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (to thicken)
    1-2 tbsp sundried tomatoes (if u feel like sundried tomato alfredo sauce! its optional)
    1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
    sea salt and pepper to taste

blend all ingredients together until smooth. pour into pot and heat on medium-high until hot. pour over pasta.

this is one of my absolute favorite recipes. ive done alot of readjusting to this recipe and this is what i came up with. i think the basic recipe is good (without the nutmeg, sundried tomatoes, chili pepper flakes) to use as a creamy sauce to add things to such as vegan sour cream and chives for a sour cream and chive kindof pasta. i havnt tried this yet tho

Foxytina69,

Sounds real good. I'm going to be making some healthy recipes for a walking group that I'm a part of. So, I'll have to try this before making it.

Thanks,
    K4J

Default Banana's home made pasta sauce

It costs a lot of money for a decent bottle of pasta sauce - so I thought I would have a go at making my own to freeze. It tastes yummy

- 2kg very ripe (almost yukky) tomatoes, chopped
    - 1 tsp olive oil
    - 1 onion, chopped
    - 6 cloves garlic, crushed
    - 1 zucchini, sliced
    - 1 eggplant, diced
    - lots of sliced mushrooms
    - 20g fresh basil, chopped
    - sea salt to taste

1. Fry the onions and garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add the chopped tomatoes, zucchini and eggplant. There is no need to add liquid as the tomatoes form their own.
    2. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for around 40minutes - until everything is very soft. Season to taste.
    3. Strain the tomato mixture - do not reserve the liquid, and transfer to a blender. Add the chopped basil to the blender and blend until the sauce is smooth.
    4. Return the sauce to the pot, and add the sliced mushrooms. Simmer until the mushrooms are cooked.

Oh and I guess you could add any veggies you want - capsicum (bell pepper) would go nice - and if you like olives, they would work too. Oregano would be tasty but I couldn't get any fresh - I suppose you could add dried oregano, or any herbs. You could also put chilli in

Default Need Pasta Sauce Recipe

I am looking for a pasta sauce recipe that replicates jars of tomato pasta sauce. Something similar to the ones you use as a base for bolognase, such as Dolmio. My daughter loves these sauces, but I am concerned about their sugar content. If I could make one that replicates them, I could slowly reduce the sugar content over time without her noticing. It should be simple looking at the list of ingredients on the side of the jar but I haven't had much luck so far with either the taste or the texture. Any ideas?
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Default Re: Need Pasta Sauce Recipe

what have you tried so far?

personally i don't tend to pay much attention to what i'm doing these days when making tomato sauces, but the basic tomato and basil sauce is along the lines of this.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I usually just make mine with onion, garlic, tomato, herbs and olive oil - I don't add any sugar. I generally do it on the hob but you can also roast the tomatoes which works quite well with the watery tomatoes that you tend to get in the winter. (Actually I usually find canned ones work better at this time of year but we get fresh ones in our organic veg bag.)

ETA what problems have you been having with taste and texture? Re taste, I find that it's nicer if you can "sweat" the onion slowly for quite a while first. Re texture, I suspect the commercial ones owe their velvety texture to a high fat content, but I might be wrong.

i agree the commercial sauces probably have a lot of oil in them as when i've used them in the past they tend to have a greasy film on the top

are you trying to create a smooth sauce or a chunky one?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Roasted Tomato Sauce Recipe

1 whole garlic
    1 tsp. olive oil
    3 lbs. plum tomatoes, halved
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1/2 cup vegan dry white wine
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. pepper
    Water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. From tip of whole head of garlic, trim 1/4 inch; drizzle cut surface with 1 tsp. olive oil. Wrap in foil; place in oven.

In large roasting pan, mix plum tomatoes, halved, and chopped onion; drizzle with 2 tsp. olive oil; place pan in oven. Roast 45 to 55 minutes, until tomatoes are lightly browned and garlic is tender. Remove garlic.

Place pan across 2 stove-top burners over high heat; add 1/2 cup dry white wine, scraping up browned bits. Boil 3 minutes to thicken. Transfer to blender.

Squeeze garlic pulp into blender; add oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add water to measure 4 cups.

Makes 4 cups.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

A lot of times with young ones it is a texture problem. Try pureeing the sauce before serving it. Doesn't look as good to us but for some reason it seems to work for children.

Thanks for your replies.

I make my sauce by frying onions and garlic in a little olive oil. Add chopped tomatoes and a little sugar and salt. Simmer for 20 minutes or so. Blend.

The ingredients in the jar are: tomatoes, tomato puree, onions, modified maize starch, sugar, salt, basil, citric acid, garlic, herbs, parsley and spices.

The texture of jarred pasta is very smooth, and they are so thick they are almost spreadable. My sauce turns out alot thinner.

Jarred sauces always have such a concentrated taste, mine always seem much blander. Mine are also a lot sharper. When I add sugar it tastes sugary rather than sweet if you know what I mean.

I will try all your ideas. I never thought of using tinned tomatoes before. The tomatoes at this time of year are completely flavourless, so I'll definately give that a go. I'll also try sweating the onions and roasting the garlic and fresh tomatoes. I'll try adding wine or vinegar too. My daughter's not too keen on herbs, they are not overly strong in jarred sauces, so I'll leave those out for now. Maybe have a go with chilli flakes though. I think I have to spend a bit more time on the different ingredients to intensify the flavours.

Well I've got loads to be going on with for now. Back into the kitchen tonight. Thanks for all your suggetions.
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Sounds as if the problem may be the tomatoes, RockyRaccoon. Especially at this time of year they are very watery - roasting dries them out a bit which is why that may help.

If you try with tinned ones you might want to ditch some of the juice to begin with - you can always add it back in later to get the thickness you want.

That stuff called "passata" may be worth a try as well although I haven't used it myself. I think it's just sieved tomatoes.

The advantage of the various forms of tinned/preserved tomatoes is that they may have been picked somewhere sunny, when they were ripe!

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but it's delicious none the less!

1 can of crushed tomatoes
    Basil, oregano, etc, to taste
    1 cup or so of cooked brown lentils (cooked firm not mushy!)

And serve over pasta (I like penne and rotini). MMM.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: Pasta Sauce

Oh good! I came to this thread looking for a way to put some beans in my sauce. Tonight I had garlic and onion canned sauce with Tofurky Italian Sausage, mushrooms and grated carrots. Wanted to throw some frozen peas in but didn't want to look for them among all the bags in my freezer
    Vary Nice but I am trying to get away from processed foods and get more beans.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Default Re: Pasta Sauce

this isn't really much of a sauce but i couldn't find a more appropriate place to share this.

PASTA WITH ASPARAGUS SAUCE

1lb asparagus, preferably pencil thin
    5 quarts water
    6T olive oil
    1 large bunch wild scallions, or 4 bunches cultivated, including 3" of the green tops, thinly sliced on the diagonal
    generous pinch red pepper flakes
    1lb pennette or other small pasta

trim off tough ends of the asparagus. if the spears are not perfectly fresh and tender, beginning near the base of each spear, peel away the thicker skin to reveal the tender stalk underneath, stopping within a few inches of the tip. cut on the diagonal into 2" pieces.
    bring the water to a rapid boil in a large pot. add the salt and the asparagus at once and boil for 5 minutes. meanwhile, in a skillet large enough to accommodate the pasta later, warm the 6T oil over medium heat and stir in the scallions and red pepper flakes. scoop out all the asparagus piece and add them to the skillet with the scallions. do not discard the water. toss the ingredients together and saute until the asparagus pieces are sweet and tender, 1 to 2 minutes. they must not be crunchy. remove the skillet from the heat.
    return the water to a rapid boil and stir in the pasta. cook until al dente. the timing will depend upon the type of pasta used. drain the pasta and add it to the hot skillet with the asparagus and scallions. toss well and check for salt. pour in several tablespoons of olive oil, toss again, and transfer to a warmed large, shallow bowl. serve immediately.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead