Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in the Garden

Default Re: Today in the Garden

I can't wait to start growing veggies and herbs! I am moving into a new home next weekend and we have a backyard. I plan on getting a little greenhouse - as much as I love seeing deer in the backyard, I don't want then eating everything!

I have no clue on how to grow stuff, but I'm looking forward to learning!!
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Oh, I am so jealous! I would love to have a space to grow things! I have gotten used to container gardening for now though. I can just imagine your mind racing with what to grow!!!!!!

have been reclaiming an extra bit at the end of our garden to make out veg plot even bigger! the soil is wonderful and packed full of big, fat worms. i'm careful to re-home them if i turn them over with the earth.

have bough my seed spuds today and will start to chit them tomorrow.
    noticed that the wallflowers i planted for some spring colour have been almost stripped by slugs

re-stocked the seed bottles for the birds and hung out some seed ball thingys.

notice a pair of jays in the garden and a lot of blue tits.

Noticed the racoons tore up the sock feeder again. Good thing those are cheap. Still haven't decided what to grow in the containers this year, well besides my stash of fresh herbs to cook with.

I got some carnivorous plants for my birthday last month, they just got planted. How controversial...
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

dug in the compost from the heap today. let it sit for a week or two then my chitted potatoes should be ready to go in. i've got 2nd earlies, 'maris peer' and maincrop 'maris piper'. maris piper are my fav all-round spud. i also like pink fir spuds and jersey royals.

It's autumn here now and there's a chill in the morning air.
    I'm still picking the last of my tomatoes, zucchinis and cucumbers.
    Any ideas for a winter crop? I haven't had a vegie garden in winter before.

Winter crops here are mostly from the cabbage family. Do you like kale or chard...they do well in cool weather.

i love home grown vegan organic veg, i have about 1/4 acre which is all laid out for growing veg. but have very little idea where to start

need help please

Quote Jane M
    Winter crops here are mostly from the cabbage family. Do you like kale or chard...they do well in cool weather.
    Thanks! Never met a vegetable I didn't like. I may have a look for seeds or seedlings when I'm out today.

Hello Peoples,

I am very new to this forum and have really enjoyed reading through this thread so I do hope that you continue to keep it up.

I used to have a garden allotment years ago but inevitably had to give it up due to having no water access. My house was just too far away to keep lugging all the huge amounts of water needed over there, especially when the summers started getting hotter every year. Of what I did manage to grow successfully though, half of all my fresh grown vegges and plants were just beautiful. As for the other half of them, well I hope that whoever kept pinching them enjoyed them too. My allotment neighbours who had their own water supply there even got round to asking me how I managed to get my vegges and plants to survive all the early floodings and in such heavy clay soil. They had sadly lost most of theirs and much of the produce was only half its expected size.

I have what is considered to be a large sized garden where I live in Guisborough, Cleveland in the UK but due to everybodies kids running riot in the streets and being destructive nightmares to their neighbours, nothing was ever safe so never got to last long enough to be able to reach half of its full potential. Even the 4 times replaced greenhouse is long gone.

We have finally managed to sell this house now and pay off the mortgage leaving us with a nice little sum to buy a large plot of land to explode into vegan-organic growing. Land is very hard to come by in the north east of England when being severely restricted to a half- hour car journey of the Billingham area. My husband works there and naturally feels it is too late in his age to risk changing work situations. All we can do is wait. keep looking and keep praying that we will get to buy our piece of land with some rental place to live close by.

What a peaceful haven that will be. So, In the meantime, I will keep looking in here for any tips to make note of.

I just repotted one of my chilli plants that I've been growing for the past month indoors (I'm only growing 2) either it had very small roots or I just broke most of them off... oops, I hope it's ok.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hey, Im moving to university in a few months and would LOVE to look around to see if theres any allotments in the area so I can grow my own veggies. However I have no idea what the rent cost would be and what id do in the summer when I wasnt at university. If anyone has an allotment here what did it cost, or whats the rent? And any ideas of what id do in the summer holidays!!?
    (5/05/06)

I'm in Vancouver, Canada - which probably doesn't help you much lol. But - I looked into getting a plot here, earlier this year. I was quite dismayed to find that there is a one year waiting list! It seems to be a very popular thing.

the rainy weather in the uk lately has brought the night time slugs out in force - stripping away my jerusalem artichoke sprouts, spinach and carrot tops.

today i replanted some more carrots and spinach and put in a green and a yellow courgette plant. tomorrow i hope to get my leeks in.

the slugs really are annoying, if i grew enough to be able to sustain the loss of a few plants it wouldnt bother me but for complete strips of seedlings to go overnight is tough when lots of work has gone into getting them there.

hope to get some compost tomorrow and get some pots going with flowers in and a hanging basket or two. my husband has managed to salvage an old park bench from his workplace and im looking forward to stripping that down and revarnishing and putting it in the garden.

my tomato plants are going out tomorrow too - hope its going to be as nice as today, ive got lots to do!

Wow Cedar! You are a busy little gardener!!

I've just been out in my garden. Considering its tiny size the problems in it are still overwhelming me.

Bindweed has got in to everything, trying to choke the life out of the few plants I have that I want there. I'm seriously thinking of just chopping everything down and starting again

*despair*

put leeks in today and made a wish by the carrots and spinach that they dont get 'slugged' this time

park bench is in place, just choosing some mad colours to paint it now - im thinking moroccan, strong colours.....

..so yesterday, im sitting on aforementioned bench eating my brekkie when one of my cats walks up the garden with bird in mouth , i pretend i'm not interested in cat but grab it and manage to free baby blue tit. i pop it into a garden pot near where i can see one of the parents going berserk. then i rethink putting it in the pot as it may not be able to get out so i pop it on the ground where the parents can see it clearly. ( it gripped my finger like a budgie!!)

i go inside to wash up and shut kitchen door so cats do not bother birdy only to see a huge magpie come down and jump on it!!! i run outside shouting to frighten magpie away and put blue tit in some bushes on ground.

later i come home and cant see birdy so am hopeful. sit back down on bench to see cat scratching in a corner and get birdy AGAIN! grab birdy AGAIN and it hops from my finger onto my b**b!! pop it into the ivy bush where we have seen the adults going and think the nest is only to see other cat later get it again

eventually pop birdy in small box and take it to strange 'birdman' who lives nearby and has a stinky house with stacks of cages with birds in them but who is happy to take injured or stray birds to look after them. im not sure i did right but i couldnt bear to think of the cats getting birdy again - i know its the order of things but im happy its still alive and being looked after.

stressful day in garden!

tabitha

You are damned if you do and damned if you dont with birds arent you!! Last year we had tits nesting in our bird box in garden. One of the babies fell out on to the lawn. It couldnt fly. I watched for a while. I didnt see the parents, but there was a jay lurking nearby and a cat on the shed roof. I thought, I can either sit here and watch the baby being ripped to bits by the jay or try and pop it back in the box, so I did this. The baby kept jumping out of the box. It was so tiny! I stayed in the garden for ages waiting for the parents to come back and all the while the jay was hovering. In the end I put it back one more time and went out in the car (coward that I am) because I couldnt bear to see the outcome.

Quote cedarblue
    put leeks in today and made a wish by the carrots and spinach that they dont get 'slugged' this time

park bench is in place, just choosing some mad colours to paint it now - im thinking moroccan, strong colours.....
    If you sprinkle baking soda on and around them the slugs won't go near them. You have to sprinkle it everytime it rains though because it washes off and then the slugs can get at them.

thanks jane m, i'll ty that one

Help, I need advice.
    Leaves of brussel sprout plants have curled up and have grey coloured aphids inside....

for starters you can blast the aphids off with some water

I've just had to solve an aphid problem myself, I blasted them off with water and I've planted some garlic next to the plant so hopefully when it's grown it will keep them away. If they come backbefore it's grown then the next thing I will be doing is spraying the plant with a mix of garlic juice and oil.

Now I've noticed that I've got small caterpillar like bugs all over my raspberries, from doing a bit of research I think they're raspberry beetle larvae. Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of them? It really put me off eating them the thought that I might accidentaly eat a raspberry monster.

Limey

I've heard putting banana peels/skins on or under plants will help deter aphids. Don't know if this is true or not, or even how well it works. I don't have my own garden and certainly don't have a green thumb.
    Oh, actually I think it is to keep aphids away from rose bushes. But wouldn't that go for all plants?

In any case, I've just heard banana peels are great fertilizer for plants. My plan was to come in here with something brilliant.

I've decided to spray everything in the garden with garlic water... hopefully that'll make them go.

My garden stinks.

Limey

hahahaha, poor thing.

Hopefully it all works out though and the stink will be well worth it. Although is stink ever well worth it?

paulvegan

looking at the baby sparrows,starlings and gulls ,eating fruit off the ground chirping away(the birds not the fruit chirping) its so sweet and loverly.

either i have created a new hybrid plant and will soon be a millionaire and a big name in the horticultural world or something is strangely weird.

my potato plants seem to be growing tomato-like fruit, green with seeds in the middle.

anyone have the same thing or have any ideas??

paulvegan

i have heard of it before, idont know if its good or bad, mmmm arnt spuds and toms from the same family, it sounds like they are going to seed , have you been watering them, (i know sounds stupid but !!). try looking on a gardning web site. hope they turn out well

Yes, potatoes, tomatoes and tobacco as well are from the same family.

potato fruits

paulvegan

i was going to grow tobacco a few years ago.
    starlings hoping around the garden, and chill's starting to form.

Quote cedarblue
    my potato plants seem to be growing tomato-like fruit, green with seeds in the middle.
    Don't Eat It!!

It's the potato equivalent of a tomato fruit - but very poisonous. Tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines are all in the deadly nightshade family....

I nip all flowers off my potato plants just to avoid these fruits forming and one of my children eating them. It's supposedly a good idea anyhow - so the plant focusses its energies on developing (the edible) tubers.
    We are saved in the end by the things that ignore us. Andrew Harvey

thanks everyone and thanks terrace max! thats good advice for the future about nipping out the flowers.

dont worry we wont eat them.....

Well I am starting a garden tonight. I am gonna start with tomatoes, basil, and jalapenos. Though I am afraid that the ducks will muck with my plants. And the other night I saw a possum in my backyard so I fear my plants have no chance.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Today I picked lettuce and carrots. My tomatoes look really good and so do the green beans.
    Does anyone know how to harvest black beans? I have them growing and they're pretty big but I'm not sure when to pick them. I picked one the other day and opened it up but the beans were still green.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

paulvegan

chilli plants doing grand.

Hey, I don't know if anyone's broached this subject before but there are so many pages to read through! My mum uses slug pellets in the garden and I want her to use a more slug, animal and environmentally friendly method. Any ideas? Thanks x

I know they don't like gravelly things/broken pots etc.. it makes it much harder for them to move.

more tips here - apart from the beer trap method and the encouraging predators method, they're all fairly vegan friendly.

Quote alexia
    Hey, I don't know if anyone's broached this subject before but there are so many pages to read through! My mum uses slug pellets in the garden and I want her to use a more slug, animal and environmentally friendly method. Any ideas? Thanks x
    Garlic, either plant some nearby or crush some garlic cloves into some cooking oil, leave it overnight to infuse and then mix it with water to make garlic water and cover everything in that.

Garlic repels most garden monsters.

Quote my3labs
    Does anyone know how to harvest black beans? I have them growing and they're pretty big but I'm not sure when to pick them. I picked one the other day and opened it up but the beans were still green.
    Are they to be eaten fresh or for dry storage? There is a good range of opinions here Which hopefully will help.

The bit about harvesting them when leathery is good because it contributes to getting the bean plant to keep fruiting.

I only had enough to keep for sowing again this year! I will try picking more this time.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

I made.....Compost on the weekend!! It's one of my favorite things to do when clearning up the garden for planting. I have included some pictures of the process.

It's generating heat and already reduced to about half the height a few days later.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

harvested some yellow courgettes/zucchini, tomatoes, basil and spinach for pasta supper tonight.

picked some apples from the tree and made tarte tatin for dessert

looking good veganblue, compost is coming along too

im growning carrots, auberguine,runner beans, punpkins, butternut squash, spinage,peppers and tomatoes

today i harvested potatoes, spinach and carrots for sunday roast dinner - yum!!

who knows anything about jerusalem artichokes and when they are ready to eat

paulvegan

jerusalem artichokes, ready fo lifting around about october, (if planted feb/march) the top growth begins to go brown.
    cut down to ground level, about 12 inches from the ground.

i can taste the roast from here, Mmmm

perhaps i should have pinched out the tops of the stalks, they are taller than i am and looking a bit triffid like.

Quote cedarblue
    today i harvested potatoes, spinach and carrots for sunday roast dinner - yum!!

who knows anything about jerusalem artichokes and when they are ready to eat
    apparantley you let the greenery die back then did them up. you shouldn't harvest in their first year.

from then on you harvest about half and leave the other half to regenerate for next season
    I dont get crunchy people?