Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in the Garden

Default Re: Today in the Garden

Quote veganbikerboy
    you shouldn't harvest in their first year.

*sighs & makes a note on next years calendar to enjoy around my birthday time )

paulvegan

ive seen them 6/7 feet.

how tall are you.?

i had an accident with mine this year, forgot they were there, thought they were weeds and strimmed them in about june so rather than being head height they are only 2-3ft tall.

not sure whether i should harvest them or not, it is only their second year and i've disrupted that a bit

might dig up some and see what they're like
    I dont get crunchy people?

5'5"

I just harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and planted some more. It's rather hard to get all of them out of then ground so wherever you plant them, it's likely that they will always keep coming up.

I eat them raw in salads, roast them or use them in stirfry, bakes, etc - anywhere you would use a root vegetable.

When fresh they are as crisp and crunchy as water chestnuts.
    From left to right is artichokes, blue potatoes and white potatoes.

"if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

I put the thermometer into the compost heap today and it was 45°C / 113°F!!!
    It's barely reaching 20°C / 68°F for the daily temperature here so I am confident it is cooking up some wonderful humus very quickly.

Quote veganblue
    Are they to be eaten fresh or for dry storage? There is a good range of opinions here Which hopefully will help.

The bit about harvesting them when leathery is good because it contributes to getting the bean plant to keep fruiting.

I only had enough to keep for sowing again this year! I will try picking more this time.
    I'm thinking dry storage. That link helped a lot.
    Your compost bin looks great!
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

my compost is looking a bit slimy and lots of teeny flies come bursting out when i open the lid . it doesn't smell though and there are plenty of composty worms in there, perhaps i need to add some shredded waste paper or something to bulk it out. any ideas??

Quote cedarblue View Post
    my compost is looking a bit slimy and lots of teeny flies come bursting out when i open the lid . it doesn't smell though and there are plenty of composty worms in there, perhaps i need to add some shredded waste paper or something to bulk it out. any ideas??
    The teeny flies are probably vinegar flies - while you can't smell it now - it will probably get a stronger sour vinegar smell that is attracting the flies.

What is happening is the compost has shifted from aerobic decomposition to anareobic decomposition - it has run out of oxygen.

If you have an enclosed bin, there is less chance for it to get air so you can add lime - which is what a lot of people do. Compost is acid anyhow - which is great for the soil if you have a clay / limestone alkaline soil. Too much is not so great though.

Remedies:

Turn your compost: Aerate the whole pile by lifting off your bin and refilling it by forking the old compost into the bin again. This will get all the tiny microorganisms going again with a fresh lot of oxygen and you will break it up a bit and the whole lot will go faster.

If that's too much trouble: Drive a long stake into the heap and wriggle it before pulling it out again - this will make aeration chimneys and the air can get down into the heap.

No good? Then a sprinkle of lime is required and that will help - but the other techniques are more effective - and worth the effort.

If it's really really sour - a little lime while turning it can help.

I hope that that is some assistance. I will show how much mine has dropped in the last few weeks when I get home. The mountain is now a molehill!

thanks!

PygmyGoat

I have a Tomato problem. The Tomatoes in my (unheated) plastic greenhouse are either small and perfect (tiny! ) or large but with big black circular areas on the underside . Are they staying too damp do you think?.

Sounds like humidity, Pygmy goat - but I come from a dry place and it's not something that we have a great deal of trouble with. Have a look at Question 14.

I was picking Silverbeet in the garden last night in the dark and the rain (yay rain!) and something moved in a very unvegetable way.... That's him above. He's so fat! No wonder I haven't a lot of troubles with bugs in the vegie patch!

The sky over the backyard this evening was a treat - the rainbow had gone by the time I got the camera sadly.

great photos alasdair (sp?)

dug up the last of the maris pipers yesterday and am going to bake them in skins tomorrow night to go with mushroom pot pies.
    (thats pot as in cooking pot not pot as in the drug )

tomatoes seem to have come to an end on my plants.

been buying tulip bulbs to plant in autumn for next spring.

PygmyGoat

Today in my garden I dug up some of the second crop of Potatoes and boiled some with a bit of Mint which I also picked in the garden .

I also had to shore up a piece of fence along my back wall which has (yet again ) been disturbed by the wild winds we get here.

Oh, and I saw my first Robin in the garden this Autumn, sitting by my back door. A very chubby little Robin .

Quote cedarblue View Post
    great photos alasdair (sp?)

dug up the last of the maris pipers yesterday and am going to bake them in skins tomorrow night to go with mushroom pot pies.
    (thats pot as in cooking pot not pot as in the drug )

tomatoes seem to have come to an end on my plants.

been buying tulip bulbs to plant in autumn for next spring.
    I was all excited about a plant that I didn't know - before realising that it was a variety of spud! They look like nice ones tho'.

Baked fresh spuds - with olive oil and rosemary and a wee bit of garlic if you like it. Not tried them with mint! Pumpkin is nice with mint infused vinegar as a dressing....!

Alistair.
    [There are over 400 phoentic spellings for my name so I answer to most of them. Allaesdyr is one of the weirder versions though. ]

Would anyone be interested in trading seeds? They're expensive to buy and I have more than I need and would like to try growing some more varieties next year, especially chilli's
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

yes, i might be interested, not sure what i have left at the moment, i have enlisted the help of a hippy type women to help me this year, we are going to do a seed order soon, so once we've done that i'll let you know

Need some help;

I've got 2 chilli plants and an avocado plant indoors for the winter that are totally crawling with aphids. I've tried spraying them off with the shower and I've also tried putting a garlic solution over the plants to deter them.

Every day I get a wet cotton bud and remove as many as I can find but it's no use.

They breed so quickly and since they're indoors they get no natural predators like ladybirds.

So what do I do? Any suggestions?

PainterLady

Yummmy! How old is your avacado plant?
    The Vegan Society says this: Aphids & White Fly

• Indoor plants - outside, dew and breezes discourage nesting. Try to recreate these conditions by regular spritzing of plants with water or, for infestations, 1 litre water, 1/2 tsp dish detergent and 1/4 cup vinegar. You could also try a fan for a few hours a day.

This ones only about 1-2 years old so no fruit for a long while yet.

I'll try that, I have a pretty powerful fan here fortunately. I don't hold up much hope of it working though to be honest.

PainterLady

I know what you mean Risker, aphids are really hard to get rid of. The only way that I know of that works is pretty unvegan. Those yellow sticky cards work really well. Just stick a lot of them all over around and in the plants and they'll get filled up quickly.
    I hope it works! Avocados are heavenly! How old do that have to be before they bear fruit? Have you thought about growing kale or lettuce year round?

I think they take about 7 years before they bear fruit but apparently it's unlikely to happen when grown as an indoor plant in the uk. I have a 2-3 year old plant that stands about 5ft tall that I have high hopes for though.

I grow lettuce during the summer but the only plants I keep growing indoors during the winter are ones that aren't meant to be grown in this climate.

I suppose I'll just have to protect the plants from the aphids as best as I can until spring and then hope that when they've been put outside nature will take care of them. It's a pity though since now I have to find somewhere else to start my new plants for next year away from the infested plants.

we actually dug over over our veg plot BEFORE the spring this time

the only stuff we have in now are a few carrots, leeks and some parsley in a pot. must try to plan to have some winter veg growing.

we are going to 'reclaim' even more garden next year for a fruit area.

Hi Risker,
    A couple of years ago I bought a box of ladybird larvae who wiped out a big load of green fly. Is it possible to get some from a local garden centre? Is this vegan? Maybe not. The ladybirds flourished

It wouldn't be very vegan, plus the plants are in a bedroom as it's one of the few places in the house that provides enough light. Much as I like ladybirds I don't think I'd want a swarm of them indoors.

Apparently (for outside obviously) if you grow nettles it encourages ladybirds to stay in your garden.

We do have loads of nettles which maybe encouraged the ladybirds too. I planted a couple of rows of purple sprouting brocolli which are now swarming with huge green caterpillars. It seems really late for them. What with that and the slugs it feels as though my veg. patch is more a home to wildlife than potential food for us. ..I was really looking forward to that brocolli! I know that hedgehogs love to eat slugs but don't know how to encourage them. Do you?

I just put out water for them during the summer and we have small bits of overgrown garden for them to nest in.

Next year I'm going to plant loads and loads of garlic all around my plants, it seems to deter most garden monsters, even slugs. That and garlic is tasty

PainterLady

Garlic is medicine for your body and soul, baby!

Garlic it is!
    I have already put in some Chinese garlic chives which haven't done anything yet. I am just reading this book where they burn all the skins from the garlic they eat which is supposed to give off a lovely aroma and which is very invigorating apparently. So we will have to keep the skins!

Since it's not meant to be hitting freezing for a few nights I've put my plants outside in the hope that it will somehow cure my aphid problem. There's no way it'll work but at least I don't have all those bugs in my bedroom for a few days.

PainterLady

Maybe a nocturnal flock of lady birds will fly in and feast.

My Grandad advised creating a small damp area to encourage frogs because they eat plenty of bothersome bugs and also slugs. At the moment our garden is one big damp area!!

WOW this thread needs a bump!

over the last few days we have been tidying up out patio area and digging over the veg plot. we were going to take out the slow-leaking pond and reclaim the area for more growing but this morning we found a frog in there, so will leave for the time being. we covered over another large area with carpet and that is nicely soft now so we can dig off the top grass and prepare it.

got to buy some wood to make some raised beds.

anyone been watching the 'how to grow veg' prog on bbc2 lately? i loved it and bought the book, although its not cheap.

ordered lots of organic seeds from the organic catalogue company so i'm excitedly waiting for them to arrive and i can start planting some of them up.
    i have ordered:

baby aubergines
    dwarf french beans
    mange tout
    peas
    melons
    butternut squash
    tomatoes
    courgettes
    cucumbers
    peppers
    chilli peppers
    carrots
    parsnips
    kale
    spring cabbage
    maris piper potatoes
    pink fir apple potatoes
    radishes
    salad leaves
    rainbow chard
    leeks

phew! i'm going to be busy.

im also going to buy some marigold and nasturtium seeds to grow amongst the veg.

get gardening everyone! its good for your health in every way

Wow! That's a lot of stuff!

Yeh, the 'how to grow veg programme' I saw was really inspiring. I liked the way they fitted so much into a small space, and had beans growing up the sweetcorn

I watched some of the series too. It was lovely and I think I'm going to have a go at growing some veg! I'll keep you posted!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

i liked the way they were catch cropping and cramming stuff into small spaces which didnt seem to affect their growth at all! normally i follow instructions on the packets but this time i'm just going to plant and see.

the book is great too.

Yesterday I potted some pretty Primulas. I posted a picture on my blog:

http://www.thevegangoddess.blogspot.com/

what beautiful pink colour roxy - lovely!!

p.s. i enjoyed reading through your blog too! some great photos on there.

Thanks Cedar!

Our garden is sooo wet and soggy right now that we can't do much out there. But I use that as an excuse to curl up with some seed catalogues and do some forward planning
    We're still on the waiting list for an allotment (nearly a year now) which is both exciting and scary

Managed to get out in the garden for a couple of hours before the rain, hail and thunder started
    We weeded the raised beds in the front garden so they are all ready to be planted. Still loads to do in the back garden but at least we've made a start.
    Went to the garden centre this morning for some seeds and ended up spending way more than planned . We bought onion sets, seed potatoes, carrots, parsnips, peppers, sweetcorn and the kids choose a multipack of baby veg seeds to argue over (oops, I mean share!).
    We still have a lot of seed left from last year which is still in date (peas, cauliflower, various salad stuff) so I've really got my work cut out .
    As soon as we came indoors, a pair of collared doves landed on the bird table which was great to watch.
    Hope we get a few dry hours during the week so I can get on with it all
    here comes the sun

That sounds exciting, Ginger! I love gardening, but it's been forever since I've engaged myself into it. One of my many quirks is that I even like weeding too.

I wish you luck with the weather and hope that it treats you well in terms of giving you time to garden.

Thanks Pisces, I need encouraging in this weather
    Wish I had your love of weeding, I've even been known to pay the kids to do it
    here comes the sun

Im moving out of my flat in July to a lovely house. My new nextdoors neighbours don't actually live in the house next dear, they live in another town so they are letting us use their garden What can I plant (food and herb wise) in July? I know nothing at all about gardening!!! Please Help!

my garden is a shameful wreck just now, with the exception of a giant bay tree and several pots of (reasonably well maintained) herbs.

aside from the no doubt helpful suggestions you most likely will get from other forum members, i would suggest a trip to the library and borrowing a hefty book from the gardening section that illustrates month by month /season by season or some such easy to follow cultivating techniques and that.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Why do you have to plant in july? If you only have access to the garden from that time then it'd be a good idea for you to start growing plants indoors now and transfer them to the garden then.

I'm growing indoors now and I have access to a garden all year round.

Tomatoes are very easy to grow so a good choice. I also encourage people to grow garlic since it's easy to grow and is brilliant at deterring pests.

For herbs, rosemary, chives and mint are easy to grow.

(Borago officinalis) I think it is called borage. You can use the flowers in salads. They have a blue/purpel colour. They also are beautiful in the garden.
    Our garden is sleeping. Snow, snow and more snow.

Quote Risker View Post
    Why do you have to plant in july? If you only have access to the garden from that time then it'd be a good idea for you to start growing plants indoors now and transfer them to the garden then.
    Well at the moment im living in student accomodation, theres not even enough room for a vase never mind plants. Im moving into my house in June/July and just wanted to get stuck into the garden as soon as possible.

this year I am cheating, I have a gardener we are doing a land/crop share project. All vegan organic, which is new for her, so at least i am a positive influence on someone

she has loads of stuff started in the greenhouse, but i have no idea what