Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in the Garden

Default Re: Today in the Garden

here are the raised beds we made for this year

we now have five of them filled up -unfortunately i've had to temporarily put some netting across them as the cats decided they looked like new really comfy litter trays bleugh!

we hope to put two or three more in on the other side of the garden.

bought some nasturtium seeds and sunflower seeds today - they look lovely planted in amongst the veggies.

cedar, that is exactly what i have done in my garden, except my frames are alot less well constructed

I operate a organic no-dig system. This helps to maintain soil structure.
    I dont get crunchy people?

Cedarblue, they look very professional
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Wow Cedar, they look great! My hubby and daughter constucted 4 similar (but smaller) ones in our front garden a couple of years ago which have been quite productive. You soooo need the netting till things get established, but even then our neighbours cat is very determined . Not exactly what you want as fertilizer
    here comes the sun

I was having a really horrible day (no particular reason, just miserable) then I decided to get off my backside and venture into the garden. Took a big mug of tea and a double chocolate orange muffin with me for moral support , and braved it into the greenhouse. So much mess, so little time...

Anyway, it wasn't long before I'd sorted out the chaos of manky pots and odds and ends that had accumulated. There were loads of HUGE spiders who probably weren't too happy to be disturbed but they scuttled off to find a cosy corner .

Now I'm all ready to start sowing seeds but that will have to wait till tomorrow.

I love the way getting out in the sun cheers me up. I feel so much better for that .
    here comes the sun

what a lovely day today! perfect for gardening.

i'm disappointed that out of the 30 odd organic tomato seeds i planted only two have germinated, the rest didnt germinate at all.
    neither did my chilli peppers nor the bell peppers....
    that is not a good return for investing in organic seed - wonder if regular seed would germinate more successfully??

reseeded more of the above to see what happens this time.
    bought some more seed trays and little pots and some flower seeds to grow, namely, sunflowers, californian poppy, zinnia, french marigold, sweet peas, salvia, nasturtium, dwarf hollyhocks.

tomorrow looks like being a nice day too so more flower sowing.

i also planted my chitted maris piper potatoes and started off chitting the pink fir apple pots. planted organic onion sets too.

i notice some radish shoots popping up inbetween the parsnip seeds - be nice in a salad soon.

from post #251, this is the garden now, with parsnips, radish, onions and potatoes in;

these look fabulous cedarblue..i'm full of admiration for all you gardeners out there...still i'm neglecting even going out in mine..it's such a waste..my cat and all her cat friends use it as their toilet and i just can't seem to build up motivation to make big changes..or any changes. it's a shame becos when i moved here (almost 7 years ago) i had such plans..and for a time my (minimal) gardening was okay..but i've let it slide and now it's juts a hideous mess
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

emmapresley - I'm exactly the same! I've let my gardening slide shockingly, and I don't really know what I'm doing with plants anyway. I really need someone to come and help me a few hours a week - anyone know anyone with green fingers in the Leicester area who could do with a few extra quid?

cedarblue - would you mind saying what brand seeds you got which didn't work? I'm going to try to get a few seeds in, though I realise it's getting on in the year.

I found 13 sheets of plywood, 4 sheets of plasterboard and 45 metres of wooden planks in my garden this evening (long story)
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

'found'?? - were they hiding behind the grass??

what are you going to do with them?

such a lovely weekend for being in the garden.

planted seeds of nasturtiums and french marigolds. soaking seeds overnight to sow tomorrow courgette, beetroot and cucumber.
    my dwarf hollyhocks are peeping through as are the sunflowers. yesterday planted corn and mini cobs.
    a few parsnip shoots are showing through and the onion sets are sprouting too.
    my mum bought me a lovely blue iris plant to go in tomorrow. i need to buy some wooden trellis panels to put up against the next door fence so it gives us a bit of privacy to be able to eat outside.

I haven't posted for over a week as I have been sooo busy on my new allottment . I was really excited as I've been on the waiting list for a year!
    It's a total wreck but we are starting to feel like we are winning
    Yesterday we got our potatoes, peas, onions and carrots in but there is loads more digging to do before we can plant anything else....
    Wish me luck...
    here comes the sun

can i give a suggestion? was your plot previously worked or was it rotivated over from rough ground not worked for a while?
    if previously worked you should be ok, if it has been rotivated from rough, the rotivator turns over the top weed and plops it down under soil, so you can find lots of strong regrowth coming through even though it looks fine on top.
    not trying to dampen your spirits, just our experience when we got our allotment years ago which had been left rough for a long, long time.

good luck with it ginger!!

right..i've started doing more than just thinking about doing stuff..
    i've cut back a whole load of overgrown stuff and um..swept up some path area.

my composting bin i think i've stuffed up as well..i was putting plenty of appropriate stuff into it..occasionally weeing in it..water..layers of stuff..veg/fruit peelings...all that but my neighbours gave me endless bags of straw and bedding from her chinchillas ??? and i think their may have been kitty litter in there..the chalky absorbent kind. i'm stirring it up with a long stick but i don't think it's going to amount to much. what're you meant to do in these cases? leave it? tip it all out (and do what with it??) and start all over again?

like i said before, the cat has used the whole area as a loo so i daren't think about planting anything edible (ew). i'm thinking seriously about getting someone competent to come and blitz it so it's like a blank(ish) canvas. plus there's bindweed.. Yarrgh!

ginger..how's your allotment coming along? busy busy bee

Argh, don't talk to me about bindweed! I've spent a couple of hours today blitzing the garden and about half that time was trying to pull up bindweed. I'm sure I haven't got all of it by a long chalk, but it's a start.

Today I mostly cleared up, but I planted a few flower seeds from an "easy grow" multipack, including marigolds and sunflowers

Popped into the allotment after taking the kids to school this morning. Nobody else there which was strange and lovely at the same time. No tools with me (getting my brother's old shed next week so I'll have storage) so I pottered about with my watering cans for a bit, (actually watering stuff, not just prancing about with them )
    The plot was used up till last year but it's hard to believe . The previous person had it rotovated so all the perenial weeds have been chopped up and spread around. The worst culprit is couch grass , roots like very long spaghetti which is hard to remove without snapping bits off. We spent last Saturday sieving (small) mountains of soil to remove the roots. Think I must be some sort of masochist as I'm still enjoying it
    Can't wait to get my shed up so I won't have to drive everything there all the time. Still so much to do though.....
    here comes the sun

Emmapressley, don't get "compost panic"
    First of all, is it a plastic or wooden bin and how big? The smaller it is the longer it usually takes to break down. A big heap gets hotter quicker.
    Do you have lots of skinny red worms in it? Good if you do.
    I used to put guinea pig bedding on mine but it got a bit yucky (don't think the bin was big enough to cope with it). Don't chuck it all out, it will turn out fine eventually (I almost promise ).
    here comes the sun

hiya ginger! following your allotment progress with eager eyes

*compost panic* indeed!

well it's a green plastic bin..about wasit height..wider at the base..it's actually about half full now..been putting stuff in haphazardly for about 10 months. i actually bought a composting book from a charity shop this morning..which i will be reading..no, really.

i was more worried in that it's not the straw from the chinchillas..but i think she used like some sort of cat litter..how the hell is that gonna compost down?!

i need to water it more and definately poke it with a long stick more..i half peeked at the opening at the bottom and it doesn't look like much is happening

haven't seen any red worms..just woodlice and cobwebs..i mean..if i have to turn it all out to start again..it's gonna just be a horrible mess of alternate layers of decaying sludge and dry cat litter i bet ..

emmapresly one of my compost bins is like that, really dry and doesnt seem to be breaking down at all, it had a load of hay on there from when i had rabbitts. I just put moist stuff on it now, mostly kitchen waste on there to try and get it moving I also found that collecting the slugs from your garden and putting them on the compost helps loads, as they 'process' everything and anything. It also means they are not eating your plants

ginger is right the larger the heap the quicker it is processed, i put all my more hardy stuff on the main heap and just put kitchen waste etc. in the plastic bins

EDIT: another trick is have a garden party and get all the boys to pee on it
    Last edited by veganbikerboy; Apr 17th, 2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: wee tip

I think she's been doing that herself VBB Now there's an image to conjure up in your mind
    here comes the sun

just make sure you cover over your pond first if you have one
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

aye..i have started weeing in there more..no, i don't hoik down me pants and balance precariously on the lid ..
    oh nooo.. i have a 'special bucket'

and yep..been mollusc collecting..my friends 3 year old was aghast i was 'putting the snails in the bin'...and been quite consistant about putting kitchen stuff in there, whereas before i was possibly quite slapdash..so it's all quite a thick layer of stuff now...am to consult my small book and apparently put on a layer of something appropriate next. it is heating up though..looks a bit mouldy in parts..3 billion woodlice having a right party on there...TY for the advice ppl

Lots of weeding last weekend.

Today I've finally cleared the summerhousey open bit on the front of our shed - only 2 years after the builders left - and put a bench and two chairs there. Now I just have to work out how to get rid of all the junk I took off it.

Also cut back some out of control plants and chopped up half the off-cuts with scissors. Hands are really aching now so doing the other half romorrow will be a challenge.

Found one of our fence panels had broken away on one corner which is disappointing.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

well done marrers - you'll be able to sit now and survey your 'land' in the summer!

there are literally MILLIONS (i'm not joking) of red worms in my compost bin - can you ever have too many? I tear up toilet roll tubes and kitchen roll tubes to go in there too with kitchen waste, grass cuttings and shredded paper, seems to be working. just waiting for my two extra ones then i'll leave #1 and start on another one.

potted on some tomato plants yesterday in the glorious sun, where there were two or three to a small pot, also the butternut squash and brocolli. my brussel sprouts have sprouted and my magnolia tree has three lovely red/purple flowers on it (will get a photo).

We decided last year to grow those vegetables that cost a fortune at the shops at home as far as possible. Now we do not have the largest garden in the world but have managed to put up a decent sized greenhouse (built from reclaimed materials) and currently I have a good crop of Italian salad greens in there. These will need to be thinned out later today (second thinning and some edibles there now). I might just plant in the tomatoes, aubergines, chillies and pepino while I am at it as the salad greens should mature before they really need the space.

The herb garden (which is struggling still) has Welsh onion, peppermint, pineapple mint, chives, parsley, 3 types of basil, chervil, thyme, Greek oregano, marjoram and green perilla (if you have not tried this you are missing out - like a fruity basil) in it. Most as seedlings so there will be some potting on required today.

The Welsh Onion has flowerheads on for the first time and I am not sure if I should allow it to flower or pinch them out - any ideas?

I was thinking of growing some stuff on the roof of my garage since it gets alot of sun and gives me extra space to the stuff I grow in the garden. Whatever I grow would have to be very low maintenance since access to the roof involves the use of a ladder, any ideas?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

nasturtiums grow like mad, looks interestingish, don't seem to need attention and you can eat the leaves and flowers..that any good?

apart from that, i have no ideas..you've seen my above posts..my gardening skills are poor

Yeah, thanks

Do you know if they need much watering? As again, that would involve much unwanted ladder climbing. I'm definately after things that can be eaten rather than just look nice, but doing both is fine!

no..i think they actually thrive better in drier soil. i neglect mine totally..infact i planted some seeds about 3 years ago and they come up every year and just do their thing..they grow quite speedily..good ground/roof coverage ..i'd recommend planting some for sure

Kevster

Some of the little chard plants are starting to come along a bit. We've got a bed of leeks as well and i'm watering them to try and hurry them up so i can put some sprouts and kale in there for autumn/winter.

There's a few lettuces coming up too, which is a nice surprise.

Risker can you see the garage roof from any windows? Just thinking it would be useful if you could keep an eye on the health of the things you are growing without any climbing!

I have no suggestions on what to grow but couldn't you get one of those lawn sprinkler things set up to a short length of hose with the other end at ground level? If you attached one of those clips that link two bits of hose together you could just snap you hose on to water without leaving the ground!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Risker can you see the garage roof from any windows? Just thinking it would be useful if you could keep an eye on the health of the things you are growing without any climbing!

I have no suggestions on what to grow but couldn't you get one of those lawn sprinkler things set up to a short length of hose with the other end at ground level? If you attached one of those clips that link two bits of hose together you could just snap you hose on to water without leaving the ground!
    Nice idea, I can see the garage roof from one window, I could even climb out of it onto the roof if I was so enclined (But it would be easier to use the ladder)

I think a sprinkler might be an idea if I covered the entire roof with soil but I've no idea where to start with that - So I thought large pots or troughs would be the way to go.

I'm now thinking that wild strawberries could be good, they seem to grow perfectly ok on their own at my last house.

Those lawn sprinklers would probably still work for pots. You can adjust how far the spray goes by how much water pressure you have (how much you turn on the tap!) and they can be put in the middle and flip from side to side or be positioned at one end and set to be static.

I was thinking you might have lots of window boxes or make up frames in a squarish or rectangular shape. Make sure the roof can take the weight of all the wet soil though, including any heavy pots you might use!

Ok, about time I put some piccies up of my garden

General view of the beds
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...r/IMG_7012.jpg

my strawberries (in flower) and asparagus

Stuff growing

more stuff growing

chives, alpine strawberries and a new asparagus crop.

jerusalem artichokes

wildflower/wildlife area by the pond just starting to flower and some seeds just starting to come through

compost area.

to large composts i built from old pallets

3 compost bins i use for kitchen waste. also the drums are full of liquid green manure (comfry juice + seaweed)

and my renewable supply of comfry

Looking very good VBB, very organised and looks like it's all thriving.

The first picture you linked to is tiny! What are the plants in the 3rd and 4th pictures, the 'stuff'?

i had real problems with that first image, first it filled the screen then it disappeared??? thats why i did a link

in those two beds so far we have spinach, corriander, parsley, american lettuce (or something???) onions, a red salad leaf of some sort, broad beans probably other stuff i cant remember.

the lady that helps me had some seeds left from last season so i'm not 100% sure of everything that has gone in.

thinks there's rocket somewhere too??

I was pleased to discover my first goldenberry growing today

The garden looks great VBB

Your garden looks fantastic, VBB. Excellent use of the composts too.

Your garden is looking great VBB I'm very impressed.
    Today on the allotment I planted my red cabbages, cauliflowers,brussels sprouts and purple sprouting broccoli all under their very own netting frame. I did some weeding (bloody couch grass again) and got rained on but I now feel a great sense of achievement and although there is still loads to do, I feel like I'm winning.
    Hubby and me put up the shed I scrounged from my brother at the weekend and it's great to have somewhere to store stuff and shelter from the rain
    here comes the sun

*quite envious of vbb's garden*

am intending to hack mine up some more this weekend.

good news on the compost front tho..it's starting to rot down more..definately weeing and stirring and watering it has helped..as well as some activating stuff from a shop.

ginger, your allotment sounds like it's coming on great..will be worth all the hard effort when it's harvesty time (i reliase i have absolutely NO room to talk as i am doing here!!)

its the sameevery year - the slugs looooove my sunflowers

next week is the time for me to plant the sprouting brocolli, sweetcorn, mini corn, butternut squash, and to pot on some more tomato plants.

i planted two raspberry bushes recently and hope to put in a blueberry too.

the copper tape to put off the slugs seeeeeems to be working, we'll see how well after the rainy night tonight though.

Planted some runner beans, strawberries and sweet peas this afternoon on the allotment. It was still really windy but the sun was shining . Will try to remember to post some pics soon.
    here comes the sun

hmmmm. still battling against the slugs who seem to have crossed the copper tape and are nibbling at the radishes. i picked them off yesterday and stopped counting when i got to 30

Kevster - how long did it take for your chard to come through and what did the leaves look like? I planted some a couple of weeks ago but it doesn't look as though any are showing yet. Some shoots are coming through but they have leaves like hawthorn..which is maybe what they are.

Also, does anybody know anything about growing bamboo shoots? We have got some bamboo that breaks out in all directions sending up enormous shoots in no time. Could we eat them? Are all bamboo shoots edible? My husband mows over these triffid like shoots and I think it seems to be making them stronger. It could be my imagination though.

Kevster

Two weeks should be enough for them to start coming up, it's quite good to start some in pots so you can recognise them, they do look unweed like tho.
    Quite 'green' strong looking little leaves...

Thanks Kevster,
    I planted some more in a sunnier spot on Sunday so hopefully they will do better. I should have done some in pots..I will next time. Glad yours are looking good