Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in the Garden

Default Re: Today in the Garden

It's so hot here today that I had to rescue loads of plants from the greenhouse
    here comes the sun

they just wilt in the blink of an eye!

as said elsewhere, i planted out lettuces, some marigolds and some chives. also popped some garden mint, moroccan & swiss mint in the border with some sage.

apparently the next two days are going to be lovely and warm so i may take a chance on putting my little leeks out and maybe even brocolli.

i need to empty my mini greenhouses so i can pot up in large pots my cucumbers and peppers and chillis.

my brussel sprouts have sprouted......mmmm christmas dinner

Kevster

Just planted out the last of the courgettes and they all look very healthy at the moment, i've planted them out bigger than before so they're stronger... see how they go....

Last years chard has grown on very well, and we had some big leaves for dinner. This years is coming along slowly but surely.

The brocolli and kale that i put out by seed is doing ok, despite the odds, i haven't weeded and my housemate got a bit zealous and hit the patch. Soooo i've lost a few. Something also seems to be nibbling them.....

my garden has gone wild with a bit of rain. The alpine strawberries are looking good, perhaps could do with a feed. Most of the asparagus has shot now, mainly through me being too slow

something has attacked my pear trees, looks like catepillars? loads of holy leaves, but doesnt seem to have effected the tree's too much

been eating chives (+chive heads) and corriander which are both doing really well
    I dont get crunchy people?

Quote veganbikerboy View Post

been eating chives (+chive heads) and corriander which are both doing really well
    Do you mean the flowers? I didn't know you could eat them and I have loads of them, what do you do with them?

phew - just had a mad sunny weather window 'tween the rain and managed to get my leeks and brocolli in.

the heavy rain bent quite a lot of my onions and bashed the potato plants too.

Good sperm

Quote Risker View Post
    Do you mean the flowers? I didn't know you could eat them and I have loads of them, what do you do with them?
    Just eat them in a salad or as a garnish see here and here

Got loads done on the allotment yesterday I went straight from taking the kids to school and I was the only soul there for over an hour which was so peaceful. Weeded the onions, planted lots of herbs, sowed some more carrots and planted out the poor cosmos I'd neglected. Still lots of clearing to do (when the other half has some spare time to help)
    Got given lots of rhubarb, broad beans and lettuce the other day. I felt like I'd been to the market (and all for free)
    here comes the sun

my garden has just gone wild; unfortunatley the lady that helps me has had a familt berievment and i have either been working on the house or away, doesnt take long to get over grown.

have had a fair few strawberries, plus had some corriander and loads of chives, the beans are also doing well

the nettles and comfry have gone mad too, need to make some green manure with them

We're currently trying to hook up our pond filter round the side and down some rocks using a random peice of an old tree trunk... oh dear me

we had to take our pond out as it had a leak and we used the ground for growing so i just put a washing up bowl buried into the ground, with some rocks for things that fall in to climb out and - ta-da a mini pond that birds, squirrels and cats have been drinking from.

my spinach doesn't seem to be growing or its being nibbled away at point of sprout! sowed another row yesterday, we'll see what happens...

all seems to be growing well in my a-plotment. fennel seeds are just sprouting and i've covered up the brussel sprout plants with netting to stop the pigeons nipping the tips.

something is enjoying the strawberries - and it aint us!!

got to start off my rainbow chard very soon - and the curly kale is sprouting well in seed trays in the plastic-house.

torrential rainfall just now gave it all a good watering.

mum gave me some chinese lantern plants which i've planted and my m-i-l gave me another two raspberry cuttings and some jasmine.

i want to make a scarecrow for the garden, just as a feature.

put more bird feeders up and have enjoyed watching the blue tits, great tits, robins, sparrows and squirrels eat the seeds and nuts.

Checked my plants for the first time since returning from holiday today to find that slugs have totally demolished about half of my plants

On a positive side though I found that several of the goldenberries had fallen from the plant so I collected them and just need to wait for them to ripen up now.

I'm really annoyed about the slugs, before I left I specially chopped up a couple of cloves of garlic and sprinkled them around the plants, I also stuck a garlic plant (The only one I have unfortunately) in the middle of all the other plants. I've moved all the damaged plants (Some have been left with no leaves at all) into the greenhouse so hopefully they will recover - I doubt it though
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Poor Risker...the vegan 'battle' of the slug is a sorry one isn't it?!! I just think we are producing bigger happier slugs! I think it was the slugs who ate through one of my two cucumbers..unless it was the birds.

One of my pots on the balcony is infested with aphids. They've taken over what were 3 lovely primula plants. I don't know what to do with them, so I've just moved the pot to the other end of the balcony away from the other plants.

On a more positive note, my geraniums are thriving and coming up in beautiful pink blossoms.

A lot of my plants have been battered by the recent wind and rain, with some of the more willowy ones having broken stems. All the wet weather has made the slugs and snails go wild, there seems to be thousands of them.

...join the slug club herbi!!

roxy, i had greenfly or aphids on my young pepper & chilli plants, i just tipped the pot on its side and kept tapping the pot or plant and they seems to fall off on their own!!

A few weeks ago I put a small pot in a holder about six feet up the wall and the snails home in on it. I've never seen them climing up the wall before so they must be able to detect the plant six feet up. They must have an incredible sense of smell!

We have lost SO much to slugs on the allotment. This wet weather isn't helping much either
    Pouring here in Sussex again today so I don't think I'll be getting much done outdoors. Never mind, there's always baking instead ( and at least the slugs aren't involved)
    here comes the sun

I hate slugs!! I try not to kill them on principle but they make me so furious!! They are greedy, slimy, little jerks. I have no vegan compassion for them, I am sorry to say. For now, I try to protect most of my plants with home remedy-type solutions but the slugs always figure out a way to get to them. Is it wrong to hate slugs so much? Sometimes I think they are taunting and testing me- just daring me to squash them!! They're lucky I have so much self control.

Can anyone give me some advice (for a friend) on growing garlic? She has grown some this year and a few tasted lovely but the rest rotted. I seem to recall someone on here knew about garlic (Cedarblue or Risker maybe?).
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

You need to make sure they're well drained as they do rot if they're left sitting in water.

I'm going to be planting several bulbs later this year, enough to surround my entire vegetable patch with a wall of garlic plants in the hope that it'll stop the slugs.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I agree. My garllic grows well cos i'm I have free draining sandy soil.

my garlic is doing better this year cos i'm growing it in raised beds whereas before it was in a shady, damp corner with slightly poorer drainage, and they rotted.

no slugs have set slime in my raised bed containing leeks, garlic & onions.

Thanks for the input, guys.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Today at allotment, I drank strawberry tea within my cylindrical sunchoke screen.
    I trimmed my grass path with shears,
    thinned lettuce [which appear to remain non radulad...only feet from the orange trimmed bruisers],
    turned the soil from under last years chardy beet things,
    and fashioned a crude blast furnace entirely from compost .

Then I had to take a ladder to the spruce tree to check for orphaned birdlings due to Boo [a cat] dragging a [struggling] pigeon sized bird into the house. The bird survived, but shuffled around garage roof for a couple of days before disappearing. Also needed to stalk boo while she stalked Tiggywinkle [new friendly hedgehog] around the wood stacks.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

cobweb

whalespace (*is off-topic ) i love your avatar

It reminds me of an electron micrograph of the vitamin D crystal cobweb *tries to make it relevant*, but is not.
    I stumbled into it while following PinkLogic.
    Sorry if that took ages...

mmmm - spuds from the garden today - nothing like them!!

Thanks to the neverending rain my aubergines and chillies all died, the tomatoes are still hanging on by a thread and the lettuce was wiped out over two nights by the unholy army of slugs that has taken up residence in my backyard.

Things are going better in the greenhouse with the tomatoes there now standing over four foot tall, laden with flowers but no fruit yet, the cucumbers are coming on well and the lettuce there did wonderfully but the last remaining plants have now bolted.

The apple tree lost a third of its fruit to the high winds and the remainder appears to be coming on well.

I was given some potatos yesterday, which are in the oven now. They look like sunchokes but are potatos, I saw the plants. I forgot their name...sooo I'm going to find out how many I can eat before bedtime .

cedar those are beautiful!!!

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

They do look gorgeous Cedar! Yum yum!

I don't have a garden, so my balcony is the closest I have, with all of my potted plants out there.

I mentioned in another thread that I have put seed and a dish of water out there for the birds. They're loving it and my boyfriend said there were up to 12 of them having a party out there today! It's like their own private sanctuary. They don't even shit out there which is a bonus!

Quote Roxy View Post
    They don't even shit out there which is a bonus!
    LOL

Angry Re: Today in the Garden

Quote Risker View Post
    You need to make sure they're well drained as they do rot if they're left sitting in water.

I'm going to be planting several bulbs later this year, enough to surround my entire vegetable patch with a wall of garlic plants in the hope that it'll stop the slugs.
    Aparently if 'they' have to go over a Copper wire they will find some where els to eat insted. I will cheque the vallidaty of this statment.
    I just finished eating this years crop of Cherrys ( Summer Sun ) I picked half and left half for the birds. I got 2 kg from 2 trees, one planted last year and the other 6 years old.
    I have 2 apples on a tree planted last year also. One is damaged and the other I look at every day and am realy looking forward to eating.
    Sadly the only Oullins Golden Gage Plum on the tree that I planted at the same time has fallen off, o well heres hopeing next year is better.
    I planted all my Garlic and Onions in pots on the portch.
    Onion flowers are just so pritty I think.
    The Buttrefly larve got all my Goosburys agen this year.
    I just may have a hand full of Blueburys for the first time this year, there looking good so far.

had a good day in the garden on Saturday, with the help of whalespace. Loads of stuff like weeding, mowing and hedgecutting to catch up on. WS turned my compost, the weather has been shit for everything else but the compost has rotted a treat

still getting loads of broad beans, the alpine strawberries are also still coming, my cabbages seem to have gone over, but maybe able to salvage some and I also have a broad leaf variety of parsley, coriander and Dill. picked my raspberries and blackberries too. also picked a load of nasturtium (sp?) petals to go with my lunch

apple and pear trees seem to have a good crop too, although the trees desperatly need pruning, but it will wait til autumn.

really pleased with my wildflower garden, looks so beautiful, i should take some pics

yes do VBB!!

Everything is just wet and soggy here. All hopes are pinned on the sweetcorn...
    here comes the sun

pulled up rotting dwarf french beans yesterday - too much rain

planted some more spinach & chard in pots this time. thinned out the nasturtium plants from the butternut squash bed, they were obstructing the squach vines from branching right out - little biddy squashes just starting to swell.

chargrilled some baby courgettes yesterday for homemade pizza with onion from garden too.

garlic starting to rot i think, damp again.

tidied out shed (again!) and pulled some yellow carrots for grating down into tonights stuffing in roast peppers.

Got the onions and potatoes in finally ^.^ (I was rather erm... proud) See pictures;

I LOVE potatoes! Melanie, what are you wearing in your pictures? It looks really warm and cosy! I want one! It's so chilly here lately.

lovely melanie!

three days ago my squash/corn patch had 29 slugs in it. yesterday i collected..wait for it.. 63 slugs..honest! that really is an invasion - they are eating off the tips of the squash that stretch along the ground so no flowers ergo no squash grow. i've got some squash developing so thats good news.

onions are really sweet and corn has lots of nice cobs swelling too. jerusalem artichokes from last year are growing really high.

pulled up the last of the maris pipers yesterday and used some mammoth ones as jacket spuds last night - looking forward to eating the pink fir spuds soon.

Quote Imported Memory View Post
    I LOVE potatoes! Melanie, what are you wearing in your pictures? It looks really warm and cosy! I want one! It's so chilly here lately.
    ^.^ Ah that's my 'hippie' top, I wear it under my robes sometimes when I go to celebrations and it's cold =]
    Its uber cozy ^.^ I get cold a lot so its good, AND it has a pointy hood
    (Here's a link to a similar one in case you're interested, they're always all different which is cool =] http://cgi.ebay.com/MEN-WOMEN-HIPPIE...QQcmdZViewItem )

Quote cedarblue View Post
    lovely melanie!
    Thank-you! ^.^

Quote cedarblue View Post
    onions are really sweet and corn has lots of nice cobs swelling too. jerusalem artichokes from last year are growing really high.
    That's really crazy about your slugs! I've never heard of so many in one place before. You must have some pretty tasty squash plants!

How high do your artichokes grow? And what kind of environment is ideal for them? I love artichokes, but they're so expensive here. I never thought to grow my own, but I am in love with the idea. I should probably do some research and see where and when I could grow them. More than likely have to wait till I'm in a warmer climate, but the dream alone is fun.

Quote Melanie View Post
    ^.^ Ah that's my 'hippie' top, I wear it under my robes sometimes when I go to celebrations and it's cold =]
    Its uber cozy ^.^ I get cold a lot so its good, AND it has a pointy hood
    (Here's a link to a similar one in case you're interested, they're always all different which is cool =] http://cgi.ebay.com/MEN-WOMEN-HIPPIE...QQcmdZViewItem )

Thank-you! ^.^
    Thank you! I think I see one of these in my future! A must have!

artichokes grow just about anywhere but beware they can be very invasive. if you leave any tubers from the last year they will grow on from them and multiply. mine grew to about 6ft last year!

the slugs were everywhere, it had been raining for about 24hrs non stop and they were out in force.

i took a photo, i'll try and post it soon.

here are just a few of the slugs

and here are the very young squash they love

I will definitely be trying my hand at some chokes next year. Wow... Slugs... Everywhere...

I was looking around and stumbled upon this. I would be tempted to try some of the ideas listed on that site as a humane means of slug control. Sans the drowning, dehydration, salt and poison options... That's just mean. The poor sluggoes shouldn't be punished for doing just what comes to them naturally.
    I'd be very interested in the copper idea. I had no idea it could be used to deter slugs.
    Who am I? Is this me, or merely an imported memory?

thats a good link i.m. - you can probably see the brick to the left of the photo, i hve put 5 of these in the squash area, propped by a stone and now check it every morning. the slugs like to hang out under the bricks come morning, then i re-locate them in the scrubland on the other side of the fence at the end of the garden. they are testing my patience though.

i tried the copper strips round the raised beds - did no good at all for me - my slugs are determined...

I put 9 Cumfry plants in and am looking forward to tea soon.
    Dug some holes in the bloody chalk for posts for reataining walls made of wood in the round. So I can have me Strawberys up at waste hight, and make it easyer to pot on the new shoots next year. Mooved loads of Chalk so I can get the watering can under the tap on the water butt, and get the last one in place. When I get it in place that will be 5. Should never run out of water then.
    HOORAA.
    Some one tolled me Slugs don't like to hoof it over sharp sand. Never tryed it.
    DON'T BEEMOAN THE DARK. LIGHT A CANDLE AND SHOW THE WAY.

Tomatoes! =D (They're a bit erm... strange looking, but they taste yummy!)

WOW mel, they're super!! none of my toms are red yet, hopefully the burst of sun this week will spur them on - did you grow them in a greenhouse or on a window sill??

picked a bowlful of fresh garden peas today for paella and pasta primavera later in the week. didnt plant enought peas really and thats them done for this year so ripped up the plants for space to plant out my curly kale for the winter.

note for next year; dont plant nasturtiums in amongst veg, they take over!!