Thread: Bread Chat Thread

Default Bread Chat Thread

My grocery store is having that bread, Ezekiel 4:9, on sale this week. It's on for $4.49/$4.99 I think. I really want to try it as it has been the only true vegan bread I can find at the store. All the others have either skim milk powder or weird chemical ingredients that are most likely animal derived (something-lactate, etc). Plus, it's healthier, I heard!

Considering I'm a poor, unemployed high school kid who has a new "budget" of only spending 15 dollars a week....is the Ezekiel 4:9 bread worth it? It will be a pretty big chunk of the 15 dollars I'm allowing myself to spend....

...the good news is, my mom is getting her cheque this week and has offered to buy me some strawberries (I've been craving...mmmm!) and some school snacks, so maybe I won't even spend all my 15 dollars this week!

That's the bread I buy, and yes, it is definatly worth it! If you do some google'ing on it you will find it is *very* healthy. This bread is a god-send - literally. Plus, I mean, it's bread! Think of how many sandwhiches you can make. Try making some hummus sandwhiches, and peanut butter (and jelly?) sandwhiches. Very cheap, very good.

P.S. I have a hummus sandwhich sitting next to me on my desk right now

I love that bread, it's the only bread in our house. Always have a loaf in the freezer. Good investment.

i really like it. it's filling and not high in fat or calories and i know it's good for me. However i'm not sure if it's worth spending so much of your budget on. It's very good bread though. especially the cinnamon raisin. *drool*
    "Oh, I'm - oh, what? Well, I’ve - oh."
    "What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches."
    "Well, I - I thought you - ... I'd better go."
    "Yes, I think you'd better had."

I think it might be a good investment. I'll be the only only one eating it in the house so it should last a little while. Mmm! I want to go out and buy it right now.

Just a warning though, since it's sprouted, it gets moldy very quickly. Keep it either in the fridge or freezer.

Okay! I will.

(I was wondering why the grocery kept it in the freezer with the soy icecreams)

its awesome! im a poor college student, and its worth it to me- though i end up trying to cram it in at every meal before it goes moldy!

tails4wagging

Never heard of that one!!. Cannot get it here in the UK. Thought someone was quoting the bible!!!

If I haven't misunderstood, it was inspired by it!

As the name implies, the bread is made from a recipe in the bible (ezekiel 4:9) They make flat breads too. From my understanding, the story is that ezekiel was a profit, and this recipe was given to him from God. In biblical times this bread was very highly cherished.

The wierd thing is, the first time I baught this bread, even though it doesn't have much of a smell to it, and IMO doesn't even taste that great (not that it tastes bad, i mainly eat it because it's very nutritios and it's a recipe from God) anyways, my dog just freaked out and acted like I was holding the most delicate thing ever made. He still goes nuts for this bread, but I thought it was amazing that he had never seen it before, doesn't know the story behind it, and just absolutely acted like he had to have some.

It sounds like the essene bread that we get in Australia. Sooooooooo good, but it is annoying coz it is not pre-sliced. I am too lazy to slice bread myself most of the time

Quote Kim[ba]
    my dog just freaked out and acted like I was holding the most delicate thing ever made. He still goes nuts for this bread, but I thought it was amazing that he had never seen it before, doesn't know the story behind it, and just absolutely acted like he had to have some.
    What exactly are the ingredients in this bread, coz my dog goes nuts for essene bread too - I have never seen anything like it. Very wierd - especially since you said that!

4:9 Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof, [according] to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon thy side, three hundred and ninety days shalt thou eat thereof.
    I'm glad someone else knows what I mean by having your dog look at you like that

Is the bread 100% sprouted?

tails4wagging

Whats fitches???. Does sound very tasty!!!!!.

Yes, it's 100% sprouted

Well that is freaky then! My dog seriously acts like I am holding something so sacred and he 'needs' to have it. It is really wierd. Dogs are hypersensitive

I wonder if my budgie would like it.

He loves crackers.

Who doesn't like crackers?

Oh btw, I baught groceries last night and I saw that this bread is only 3.59 now (USD). I baught the kind with raisins this time - gonna live on the wild side lol. It tastes a lot better. I ate some of it with breakfast this morning - very tastey.

Me - one time when I was eating crackers it scratched my oesophagus and I had to have a gastroscopy because it got infected. It was so bad that they took a biopsy and I haven't eaten crackers since

Did you chew or just swallow the entire cracker? I'm sorry you had a bad experience with crackers though. Try not to become attached to that experience. Eat a cracker.

I definately chewed it - I just must have had a 'pointy' bit. I have no desire for crackers and to be honest I am intensely phobic of them LOL

My budgie nibbles on them. He takes like 15 minutes to eat a tiny piece. My hand gets tired and when I go to relax my hand, he starts to jump and shriek. Hahaha.

LOL banana can ya not. youre so funny. (even tho that must have been a horrible experience, it just sounded so funny i couldnt help but laugh!)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I agree tina, banana you are hilarious. You make me wish I live in melbourne

LOL I am glad you all find my misfortune amusing

It's not so much that, but how you express yourself.

A recipe from god! Are you kidding me?
    Eve

Quote Kim[ba]
    It's not so much that, but how you express yourself.
    I guess I will take that as a compliment

Default Ezekiel Bread

Hi all,

Just went to the store today and found my first loaf of Ezekiel bread in the frozen foods aisle. Obviously I can't eat the stuff frozen, and thawing it in the microwave would negate the point of buying it in the first place, so I'm wondering where to store it. The fridge? There are no storage instructions on the package. How long will it last before it goes bad?

Thanks!

Default Re: Ezekiel Bread: a Question.

I thaw mine out in the microwave. I'm not dead yet.

If you don't eat a lot of bready things and you don't want to use a microwave, you might want to keep the loaf in the freezer, and break off a few slices at a time, and let them thaw on the counter over night, or in the fridge.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I toast the frozen slices until thawed.

I just store it in the fridge. It rarely goes bad before I eat it. There have been a few times where it went bad within like 24 hours, but I suspect I got a bad batch.

I keep mine in the fridge like Kim{ba}. Usually it will last about a week in there. If I leave it out on the cupboard it goes bad really fast though. What I don't think I'll use that week I keep frozen. It doesn't take long to toast it if I need it right out of the freezer and I like the taste when it is toasted anyway.

Talking Re: Ezekiel Bread: a Question.

i also keep mine in the fridge

yum, i think its time for a sandwich!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I don't know where in the US you live, but where I am bread thaws out pretty quickly at room temperature. I've heard it's even a good idea to make a sandwich on frozen bread to take somewhere... keeps things a little cooler and less soggy for a while.
    If at first you don't succeed, laugh as you set it ablaze!

i freeze all my bread.

i never have to throw out moldy bread, even after a month past expiration

<3 freezer.

just toss it in the toaster and yer good to go!

What is Ezekiel bread?

Quote treehugga
    What is Ezekiel bread?
    It's a bread made from sprouted grains, and not flour. It's hearty and delicious (and vegan).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    It's a bread made from sprouted grains, and not flour. It's hearty and delicious (and vegan).
    Oh yes, we have a similar bread here. We sensibly call it 'sprouted grain bread.' I'm afraid I don't like it much although I'm sure it's really healthy