Thread: Vegan Truffles

Default Vegan Truffles

I decided to make truffles for Valentine's Day, and they were so decadently rich and creamy and delicious, so I wanted to share the recipe

I used the Very Easy Vegan Truffles recipe from The Vegan Chef (http://www.veganchef.com/)

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
    8 oz. tofu cream cheese
    3 cup vegan powdered sugar (Wholesome Foods or Florida Crystals brand, powdered sugar from sugar beets, or see Recipe Archive for homemade variations)
    1 1/2 t. vanilla
    Garnishes: finely ground nuts, cocoa powder, toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
    Instructions:
    Place the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler, over medium heat, and leave to melt. In a food processor, place the vegan cream cheese, and process for 1 minute or until smooth and creamy. Add half of the powdered sugar and process for 30 seconds. Add the remaining powdered sugar and continue to process the mixture until well blended. Add the melted chocolate chips and vanilla, and process the mixture to evenly distribute the melted chocolate. Transfer the mixture to a glass bowl, cover, and place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour. Using your hands, shape the chilled mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the garnishes of choice to thoroughly coat them on all sides. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.

*Variation: the truffle mixture can be flavored with liqueur, as well. Divide the truffle mixture into thirds and add 1 T. liqueur of choice (such as: almond, hazelnut, coffee, rum, brandy, orange, raspberry, etc.) to each third of the truffle mixture, respectively, and mix well before chilling the truffle mixture. Then shape into balls and roll each type of liqueur-flavored truffles in one of the garnishes to distinguish among the various flavor combinations.

Yield: 5 Dozen

The recipe itself is very easy, though they do take quite a while to make, but sooooo worth it

I crushed some hazelnuts and coated half of the truffles with hazelnuts, and the other half with cocoa powder. There are so many different combinations that I want to try! (Mint, raspberry, coconut, coffee flavor with a coffe bean on the top...)

One recommendation I'd make for dark chocolate lovers...substitute half a cup (or maybe even a full cup) of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder.
    I used Tropical Source chocolate chips and would have liked the truffles with a darker flavor. Using a darker chocolate (70-85%) might work too, but it would be more expensive that way.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

oldsilverhead

Default Re: Vegan Truffles

Them I HAVE to try

oldsilverhead

Those look so easy to make and so yummy! Let's see that's 5 dozen if I don't sample while making them right????

Those look so easy to make and so yummy! Let's see that's 5 dozen if I don't sample while making them right????

Talking Re: Vegan Truffles

oh, im excited now!

guess what everyones getting for valentines day!?!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Jane, I think you're safe..I made five dozen even with the sampling (and I did quite a bit of that of course)

Enjoy them oldsilverhead and Jane!! Post what coatings and variations you used and how you liked them
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

yay! i've made ultrasimple truffles too, just bringing soya cream to the boil, taking off the heat, adding flavour (liquer/peppermint/orange/coffee), then stirring in plain dark chocolate and stirring til all is properly melted. pour into an empty, clean, dry and cocoa powdered soya milk carton and let cool. it's faster in a freezer, otherwise a good few hours. cut into nice cubes and roll in/dust with cocoa powder. ready! alternatively, let the mass cool a little and make balls. more work than the cubes though.

oldsilverhead

Salivates

oldsilverhead

mmmmmmmm truffles

Is Kaluha vegan? I found a bottle of that in the cupboard....leftover from someone....that and a lot of little bottles (airplane serving size) of spiced rum and Jack Daniels....think it is ok to use those for flavoring?

I think kaluha has dairy in it.
    Peace Love Surf.

According to the Vegan Booze Directory, Kahlua is vegan friendly!
    If at first you don't succeed, laugh as you set it ablaze!

Yahoooooo!!!!!! Kahlua truffles tonight!!!! Chocolate coma tomorrow....

lol, i think i mixed up irish cream and kaluha
    Peace Love Surf.

Red face Re: Vegan Truffles

When I come out of this sugar coma....it will be a whole new day.

Have one for me too, Jane!
    If at first you don't succeed, laugh as you set it ablaze!

oldsilverhead

I have some vegan white chocolate chips.

Guees what I am going to make?

oldsilverhead

I had several for all of you!!!!