Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MPs vote by huge majority for total smoking ban in England

Default Re: MPs vote by huge majority for total smoking ban in England

I don't know I get confused by what's actually going to be law and what is the individual's choice. I had thought it was banning from public places but maybe that's what was talked about as one option and then people realised that that might mean outside too. But Pob's link says pubs and clubs. Oh, I don't know, I've got your cold!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

According to this link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6196910.stm
    It covers enclosed public spaces.

Thanks, Pob. I wonder if that includes shopping arcades/malls?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Should do. Although most of them are smoke free already apart from cafe, or pub areas in some of them.

Quote Lilac Hamster View Post
    smoke-avoiders are in the majority (even if not so many are as strict as I have to be). See the poll, a clear majority of us on this forum tend to prefer to avoid smoky places where there is a choice of places to go, although few exercise zero tolerance as I do, the preference is clearly for smoke-free.
    That is a poll of vegans and I don't know if you've noticed but vegans tend to have different priorities to the rest of the population. You cannot automatically assume that because 73% of the population (Your figure) don't smoke that all of them avoid going to pubs/clubs because of smoke.

The problem I have with smoking shelters is that if they are right next to the open door of a building and the smoke drifts in, that is against non-smokers and especially a problem for someone like me who reacts badly to small amounts of smoke. If they erected the shelters a good few yards away from the building for the smoke to disperse effectively outdoors I would have no problem with it. I do not trust all pubs/clubs to be adequately considerate of smoke-sensitive people, it's not as if they have a very good record on this so far. I don't think the law goes far enough and there will be complaints from people like me if smoke drifts indoors from these shelters.
    Without shelters/areas for smokers to go to you can guarantee that smoke will go through the door and also that you'll probably have to walk through a large cloud of smoke on your exit from a bar since smokers will just stand outside the doors. In this respect a shelter for smokers would be beneficial to both groups.

Because smokers are so often mentally ill
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

F.A.O Lillac Hamster

Sorry this off topic:- You asked what is Moshing
    Answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moshing
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Lilac Hamster

Thanks Snaffler. Sounds a bit hazardous, in fact I cannot believe anyone would smoke while jumping around, I would expect a lot of accidental burns!

To the person with asthma, I am sorry (and angry on your behalf!) about what your parents did to you with their smoking in the car, glad for you that you do not feel anger at your parents, but I also reserve the right to not feel the same forgiveness towards my mother, that has to be my choice to forgive or not, especially since I complained at the time so she knew her smoke was hurting me and still would not go outside to do it. It was basically not only the smoking it was her dismissal of my obvious suffering that I found to be cruel and abusive. Addiction is no excuse for child abuse and poisoning a child's air is clearly abusive especially once the parent is made aware and my mother was made aware by me on a daily basis from an early age. Maybe you did not speak up at the time, you do not say if you did or not. If you did not, maybe they did not know it bothered you.

Lilac Hamster

Anyone from Wales around this thread?

I believe you will get the smoking ban on the 2nd April, very soon now, personally I think they should have made it April Fools Day.

Let us know how it goes in Wales!

I really, really can't wait for this.

There's nothing I hate more than playing/going to gigs and having to suffocate my body with the stuff.

I quit for a reason!
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Lilac Hamster

Well I could never have considered it normal just because I was brought up with it, it always seemed to me just plain disgusting for anyone to want to inhale smoke! I knew from an early age I would never want to do it and that I did not like to be around it. It always made me feel sick and uncomfortable seeing people smoking as soon as I was aware of it around me.

Some vegans always saw eating animals as wrong from a young age, so sometimes you just know instinctively that something is either wrong or very bad for you. Don't ask me how some people know these things, some of us just do.

At the age of 4 I knew there was something wrong about meat too, I hated the smell of the butcher's shop and hated to go in there with my mother as it made me want to throw up and the carcasses just looked disgusting to me even though I did not really understand why I did not like it! I'm not sure if I understood yet what they were though. I did not give up eating meat until a good many years later, to my shame.