Thread: hunger and metabolism

Default hunger and metabolism

any suggestions on how to stimulate appetite and metabolism? (no coffee, though :/)

my digestions are really REALLY slow, and I rarely get hungry -- physically, that this. I suppose years of fucked up patterns of eating have disabled my body's capacity for regulating feelings of hunger/fullness a little, and possibly lead to some enzyme deficiency or something similar. Doctors are not of much use, though, on this.

I never eat between meals; I think I eat very healthy things; I try to make small and regular meals. I take enzyme supplements, drink green tea and ginger infusions, eat celery (supposed to stimulate appetite) but it doesn't seem to work. I've got a sloth's metabolism. maybe it is just my body needing a break to recover...? Tried fasting though, and that didn't change a thing. and I like eating, so I would like to get my metabolism back on track!

any tips?

Default Re: hunger and metabolism

Do you excercise? Is your life generally sedentary or active?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

good point, exercise does make a little difference at least.

I do try to exercise, though I can't do as much as I would like to. I have problems with fatigue and aching muscles, that get worse if I overdo it (and overdo it to me doesn't need to be all that much...). I tend to do a couple of hours of yoga every day, ideally walk for an hour (although lately it has been less frequently), some time a week I go running, swimming once a week, and try to do bits and pieces of muscle work-out everyday. I probably should do more (at least more things to build muscles), I just haven't found other things that exercise enough but don't strain too much...

Quote ukahela
    . I have problems with fatigue and aching muscles, that get worse if I overdo it (and overdo it to me doesn't need to be all that much...). .
    Same here! Sounds like you do ok with your excercise. I find if I'm tired/fatigued, I don't get as hungry. Maybe this is your problem? I find the trick is to rest lots when you need to and eat whether you want to or not. Sometimes I'm ravenous and eat huge amounts, sometimes I'm just not bothered but eat something anyway (although it's not pleasant to have to eat if you're not hungry...try making something that looks/smells really good, it may get your tastebuds going and you may feel hungry.)
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Yes, true, should learn to rest when needed -- it's just sort of difficult to give yourself the time to do that... Anyway, about eating even if not hungry, I find that that makes my digestions even worse. Maybe it is that it's not really my appetite that is the problem, but rather that the food seems to sit in my stomach for ever and ever. Starting to think I might have a deficiency of hydrochloric acid -- I take enzyme supplements, and the only ones that seem to make any difference are the ones that contain hydrochloric acid. Maybe there would be some herb to stimulate the secretion of that? I think I'll do some googling

Quote ukahela
    Anyway, about eating even if not hungry, I find that that makes my digestions even worse.
    Maybe you need to build up the amount you're eating more gradually?