Thread: Vegan products in the US?

Default Vegan products in the US?

Is it easy to find vegan household products in the US? I want to find soap (body, dish, laundry) other cleaners, cosmetics, skin care, lotions, toothpaste, etc. but I'm not sure what to look for. What brands? Where I can find them? Any advice is much appreicated. I am also on a pretty tight budget.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Vegan products in the US?

many health food stores have a small section, wholefoods has a large amount of supplies and of course, veganessentials.com

Talking Re: Vegan products in the US?

at the right places it is easy.

at target, all the mode products, except the dryer sheets are vegan and non-animal tested. there are cleaning supplies, laundry stuff, and handsoaps.

other than that i shop pretty much at the health food stores.

i buy jason or avalon organics face, hair, skin products....most are vegan except the ones called milk or honey...

seventh generation is my fav brand for laundry, recylcled garbage bags, ect.

on any product; for you or for the home look for the words 'cruelty free' 'no animal testing' & the symbol

good luck... soon enough it will be second nature as to wich products are vegan and wich arent.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Yes, it's pretty easy to find vegan skincare and household products here! For household products, you can use Seventh Generation and Method (they have dish detergent, laundry detergent, paper towels, etc).

For skincare, I use Aubrey Organics and Avalon Organics. Other good products are J/A/S/O/N, Kiss My Face, Beauty Without Cruelty, and there are many others. The best deodorant I have found is the Thai crystal rock. If you go to a health foods store, they usually have many different products. There's also a whole thread on the forum on vegan skincare products. Also, you can go to consciousconsumer.com, they list all the brands that are cruelty free and vegan (though I suggest that you read the list of ingredients, because I have found beeswax in some of the products that they list as vegan).

For toothpaste, there's Tom's of Maine, J/A/S/O/N, Peelu, and also other brands. I would choose a toothpaste without fluoride, since there's much research that documents its adverse effects.

Online vegan stores are www.veganessentials.com and www.pangea.com
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

luvz,

If you happen to be in Tucson, I'd be happy to meet up and hook you up with some vegan soap. I make my own and everyone loves it! I also make shampoo bars, body lotion and eye cream. I'll be making lip balm and lotion bars in the future as well.
    If at first you don't succeed, laugh as you set it ablaze!

Litsea,

I'm in Phoenix, but I'd love to try some of your products. Is this a side thing that you do or do you have a business? Get in touch if you ever come up this way. I'm not sure if I'll get down there any time soon.

I don't totally trust them, but PETA has a webpage where you can print out or request a "caring consumer" pamphlet. The list is supposed to be companies that do not use animal testing and they also specify those products that do not use animal products either. (I say "supposed to be" because one company that says it doesn't use animal testing, Bath & Bodyworks, has on their labels "finished product not tested on animals." That says to me, "we only test individual ingredients on animals." Of course, they're not vegan anyway, but it just shows PETA's lax attitude.) Here's a link to the page at PETA: http://www.caringconsumer.com/c-free.asp
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

FR

If you're on a budget, and live near a Trader Joes, they have animal and cruelty free private label products.

FR

Bath and Body works products have animal ingredients in them. I never understood why some people only seek out products that are not tested on animals but are okay with animal ingredients being present in them. Defeats the purpose, no? For PETA to be spot on when it comes to a lot of issues, for them to be sloppy in other areas is disturbing.

Quote FR
    Bath and Body works products have animal ingredients in them. I never understood why some people only seek out products that are not tested on animals but are okay with animal ingredients being present in them. Defeats the purpose, no? For PETA to be spot on when it comes to a lot of issues, for them to be sloppy in other areas is disturbing.
    I agree that Bath & Bodyworks uses animal ingredients (such as lactose), but PETA has the list purely of companies who supposedly do not test on animals (then list to the side the V ones with no animal ingredients either). I can't really figure out PETA generally, as they seem to rationalize why it's OK to promote companies who supposedly don't use animals for testing yet do use animal ingredients (the animal obviously died to provide in many cases) They will also call things vegan--like at the grocery--and when I read the ingredients, I find animal products in there (but they say 99% vegan anyway).
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh