Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle Vegans...

Default Newcastle Vegans...

I know there are a few Geordies/honourary Geordies on here but thought I'd get a headcount so to speak.

Also, is Newcastle Brown Ale vegan? I recently started drinking (after being straight edge for almost 5 years ) and have heard conflicting answers. I have been sticking to Grolsch/German beers and whisky to be on the safe side.

Gliondrach

Default Re: Newcastle Vegans...

Why-aye, man, a'm a Geordie. Divent yer kna 'boot me? Just gan doon the Bigg Market any neet and ask aal the lads and lasses 'boot what aa dee. They'll aal tell yer a'm reet canny.

Divent kna 'boot Broon. Never sups it.

veggiesosage

Newcastle Brown Ale, according to the last but one edition of the Animal Free Shopper, is not listed as vegan. And over a number of years, I've heard that all Scottish and Newcastle beers (of which NBA is one) are not vegan.

Sorry, but until you get some reliable info otherwise, I suggest that you avoid it.

And when you get that reliable information, let me know because I've got fond memories of the brown bottle from a long time ago...

Newkie brown is deff not vegan,sorry!

That's fine with me. I was just curious. I'm like Grolsch.

Default Newcastle upon Tyne Fenwick's Vegan Range

For anyone who shops in Newcastle upon Tyne, Fenwick's now sell a very good range of Redwoods vegan cheese, melting Cheezely in particular. Melting cheezely tastes great and is good for pizzas, cheese toasties etc. They also do seitan slices (a chicken style fake meat thingy) and a good range of veggie and vegan sausages, plus Alpro yoghurts.
    It is in the chilled section not far from the checkouts.
    Also their own brand ciabatta was vegan last time I asked.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Gliondrach

Does anyone know of anyone local-ish who can adopt a female cat? She is 12 years old, was found as a stray, the RSPCA would have killed her but she is safe in a vet's for the time being. She has been there for three weeks. At first, it was thought she was blind but it has been confirmed that she can see a bit. She needs a warm, loving home. She is litter trained and good natured. She spends quite a bit of time sleeping.

Ask around, please.

Thanks.

VeganJohn

Just found this thread! I am another geordie, living in North Tyneside Thanks for the info re Fenwicks, not somewhere I shop. Do you folks ever get to the Sky Apple? I think it is a really great place to eat. Almonds and Raisins does some good food at lunchtime too. I have neer been to Bob Trollopes veggie pub on the Quayside, is it any good for vegans as I have heard mixed reviews?

It has been years since I last drank Newky broon, but I wouldn't touch the stuff now even if it was vegan lol!! Loony's brew indeed :>

I am not strictly a geordie as I moved here from elsewhere.
    We have been to Bob Trollops a couple of times (not recently) and did not rate the food very highly.
    Also been to Sky Apple a few times but we stopped going as a few times we went there and found it was shut and we thought it might have closed (it hasn't).
    Supernatural/Almonds and Raisins is nice, it needs more customers. Please patronise it or it may close (just my opinion).
    Panni's cafe on High Bridge also does some nice vegan food if you ask them to tweak the ingredients.
    And Solomon's Dharbar in Fenham will do special vegan requests if you ask nicely.
    I think thats about it.
    Has anyone had good reports from Chinatown? I have given up on chinese food since I found about the fish sauce.

VeganJohn

What would fish sauce be in? Surely, if a dish was labelled a vegetarian they wouldn't put fish products in it????? There is a Chinese place on Stowell street that had thr word 'vegan' on the menu but the waiter did not understand the term when I came to order. I just ordered from the 'vegan and vegetarian' dishes (nothing was specifically labelled vegan) and asked him to make sure there were not any animal products in the dish. I ended up having a decent chinese mushroom soup followed by a deep fried bean curd dish. Very nice.

I have not heard of the other places you mentioned, but I will look out for them!

Almonds and Raisins always seems really busy when I go, although by late afternoon they have practically always run out of sandwiches and other vegan food.

Quote VeganJohn
    What would fish sauce be in? Surely, if a dish was labelled a vegetarian they wouldn't put fish products in it?????
    Because sadly most people are misinformed to what vegetarianism is and think it includes fish. I'm not trying to be a meanie, but I think it's the people who say "I'm vegetarian who eats fish" cause that confusion.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Oyster sauce (aka fish sauce) is in a lot of chinese food. There is a vegetarian alternative but sometimes it is hard to find. Unless someone is really familiar with what vegan is they can make assumptions certain things are ok, at least I find that a lot.

Tiggerwoo

Quote Gliondrach
    Does anyone know of anyone local-ish who can adopt a female cat? She is 12 years old, was found as a stray, the RSPCA would have killed her but she is safe in a vet's for the time being. She has been there for three weeks. At first, it was thought she was blind but it has been confirmed that she can see a bit. She needs a warm, loving home. She is litter trained and good natured. She spends quite a bit of time sleeping.

Ask around, please.

Thanks.
    Aww, poor cat,we can't have her put down. Have just spoken to my partner and we may be able to help as we take on waifs and strays so one more wouldn't hurt. Do you have any details (as am off work all week) of the vet or any more details, as would be able to come down this week possibly.

Why does the RSPCA always insist on putting old animals down...... am hearing so much bad press about them, am cancelling my direct debit that I give them monthly.

This is a longshot as I gather most of the people who post on here and live in Newcastle aren't students, but maybe some are I don't know- I need a roommate or three for next year (i.e. August) so if anyone is interested PM me.
    For the record I don't smoke (but am partial to a couple beers) and I'm pretty tidy/considerate to live with.

I do live in Newcastle but gave up pubs quite some time ago - the smoke give me chest attacks
    But weather spoons in non smoking and they do a range of vegan ciders from westons.

As far as I know S&N dont do any vegan beers and I dont really enjoy larger at all.

Pizza express will do a vegan pizza or two- no cheese
    but they do some really nice tasting pizza just with veggies etc
    the last few I had were really nice and they make it infront of you so you can see whats being used
    do remind them about no fish - as their menu has fish in lots of veggie dishes.

the last time I spoke to one of the managers they told me the company were thinking of doing a few vegan dishes - as the amount of ppl asking for vegan food was growing

other than that the Sky apple is great
    Out Of This World on Gosforth High Street are now doing slices of vegan pizza to take away along with lots of vegan pasties etc

Gibby

Free Veggie Food Tasting

FREE tasting event at Bob Trollopes veggie pub on quayside. Seriously
    >are there only 5 people interested?? It's a really good opportunity to
    >forge links with one of the few veggie places in newcastle!! Please
    >emal me or Mike if you are interested . . . otherwise you'll miss your
    >chance as they need numbers pretty quickly.

this is organised by VegNE a local veggie group in Newcastle

if you would like to attend or know more about VegNE
    please contact
    amypowell19@yahoo.co.uk
    or search the net for VegNE as they have a site and do some great work in the north east

G

forgot to mention

its the 25th May

G

VeganJohn

I might give Pizza Express a go after all, they seem to be clued up to acknowledging requests from vegans. I just dread being laughed at or ridiculed asking for a cheeseless pizza.

I also will have to try and make it to Bob Trollopes, as I keep meaning to go!!

Last time I went - they were really friendly - just like a puppy - jumping all over you to please you

In any restaurant I always tell them I have a special order
    no meat - no dairy - no fish - no egg -etc and I find this works very well

I usually dont mention "vegan" as a few times they didnt know what it meant

any good eating place can handle allergies - so just tell em what you dont want
    and make sure you really thank em before you go as then you get great service again next time

the only problem with PE is there is such a big choice!!

enjoy

G

VeganJohn

Sounds most promising :>

saucyvegan

My last fella was from Durham. I just go weak at that accent altho I think it varies greatly from the geordie accent.

VeganJohn

Yeah, it does. The different accents in the North East are very different imo. I don't have a very strong accent, although my mates and I have been mistaken for being Welsh when we have been down south :>

I agree that the different North East accents are different. But apparently most people in the UK like the Geordie accent so it is very popular for call centres and telephone selling. I am from Yorkshire but have lived in Wales for many years before I came here. When I go back to Yorkshire the accent sounds very strong to me, and the Tykes can't recognise my Yorkshire undertone. I used to be able to tell different regions of Yorkshire apart but now I can't even tell Yorkshire from East Lancashire accents.
    We have a friend who is from Blyth and his accent is softer than the Geordie one. Some people can tell the difference between Sunderland and Newcastle accents. But then some people can tell different areas of Newcastle, they can tell an indigenous Benwellite from an indigenous Bykerite.
    My dear one is Geordie born and bred and when we go away people think he's Scottish. It comes in handy in Scotland.

Gliondrach

If you Geordie-types know of anyone who can give a good home to a kitten there is a veterinary nurse who would be most pleased.

She has four cats waiting for homes but one is more desperate. A kitten was considered unrehomeable by the RSPCA. She has been waiting for two weeks for a new home.

To quote the nurse: 'She is only 7-8 months of age, and what the RSPCA call 'semi-feral'. She's not a true feral, and is somewhat handleable, she's just a fiery rage of tortoiseshell attitude. She is tiny and very very pretty, I feel with time and TLC she will come around to life in a home. She is not doing well at work, as she is frightened, stressed and cornered. Because of her 'spark' she would not suit a busy active household. She needs time and space and opportunity to hide, and an understanding owner. Because she is so young, I feel she could settle into a house with other cats.'

So, there you have it. If you know of anyone who can help, let me know.

Thanks.

Martin.

Quote Gliondrach
    If you Geordie-types know of anyone who can give a good home to a kitten there is a veterinary nurse who would be most pleased.
    try paws 4 thought in sunderland

http://www.pawzforthought.org/

Gliondrach

Thanks, Herbwormwood. I'll pass the link on to my vet nurse friend. She might know about it already as she does this sort of thing a lot. Worth a try, though.

Gliondrach

I've heard that the Newgate Street Co-op is going to be bought by someone. I overheard an assistant say that she hopes that 'the buyer' will retain the food hall so that they can keep their jobs. I asked if this buyer she was talking about was someone outside of the Co-op group. Yes.

So, it looks as if we might lose that shop. Are there any others nearby? There used to be a 'superstore' in the Benton area but I'm not sure if that is still there as a Co-op. There used to be one in Gateshead but, again, I'm not sure if it's still there.

Gliondrach

Good news. Cat finds home.

VeganJohn

I hope the kitty finds a loving home!!

Thought I would mention that I went to Bob Trollope's yesterday with friends and was impressed!! I suppose I had less than ecstatic preconceptions, after reading several less than enthusiastic reviews, but I am happy to report my experience of the place was good.

About 75% of the menu was either labelled 'vegan' or 'vegan option available'. I fancied a spag bol and it was very nice indeed. My friends (one veggie, two omni) had nut roasts with giant yorkshire puddings (actually labelled vegan) and a ratatouille. There was one hiccup as one of my friends was served a different dish by mistake (inexperienced young barman by the looks of things) but she was served the right dish and a full refund was given by th manageress, the staff were also very apologetic.

I had been to the place before, but only to have a drink and not to eat. It was also not too smokey.

All in all a good place to eat in Newcastle and I would recommend it :>

Sorry to burst your bubble John but I was told by a friend today that the labelling in Bob Trollops regarding what is/isn't vegan isn't 100% accurate as it was done by head office who just guessed what was vegan.

I went to Sky Apple Cafe in Heaton today (it's literally 30 seconds walk from my house but it was only my second time going in more than a year) and had a really good hummus burrito w/a nice side salad and roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Also, as a moot point all the girls who work there are very pretty....actually..it just depresses me more than anything. Ah well... the food is goood.

Here are the details of a gig/bbq I'm having at my house this coming Saturday. All are welcome. It's free but donations for Ben and Tim who're on tour are appreciated.

The World Is My Fuse/The Rothbury Terrorists Present:

Tim Holehouse
    sincere, introspective, low key melodies and an obsession with the sea- Bonnie Prince Billy would be a good comparison I suppose?

Salt Union
    acoustic pop-punk like Jawbreaker unplugged?

AND

a vegetarian/vegan bbq

@ 77 Rothbury Terrace, Heaton, NE6 5XJ. 6 till late.

BRING FRIENDS!

BRING FOOD (no meat though unless you bring your own grill)!

BRING BOOZE!
    Last edited by jackxattack; May 22nd, 2006 at 01:52 AM. Reason: HTML needed

Quote Gliondrach
    I've heard that the Newgate Street Co-op is going to be bought by someone. I overheard an assistant say that she hopes that 'the buyer' will retain the food hall so that they can keep their jobs. I asked if this buyer she was talking about was someone outside of the Co-op group. Yes.

So, it looks as if we might lose that shop. Are there any others nearby? There used to be a 'superstore' in the Benton area but I'm not sure if that is still there as a Co-op. There used to be one in Gateshead but, again, I'm not sure if it's still there.

Gateshead Centre Co-op department store was there last time I passed on the bus. Not sure about the other one you mention.
    Newgate Street Store is almost certainly going to be turned into flats except for the food hall. Write to your local councillor to make sure the food hall stays. Our councillors have taken an interest in the case. If it goes, we wiill just have M&S and and Fenwicks for general food and household goods shopping in town. Morrison's bought the Safeway on Clayton Street but it is closed down now. Grainger Market is not very good anymore as most of the old style fruit and veg places have gone.
    The Newcate Street Food Hall Co-op is very important for people without cars as it is on a lot of bus routes and they do free home delivery if you spend £25 or over.

VeganJohn

[QUOTE=jackxattack]Here are the details of a gig/bbq I'm having at my house this coming Saturday. All are welcome. It's free but donations for Ben and Tim who're on tour are appreciated.

Hey, I missed this post, else I would have turned up!! Hope it went well :>

VeganJohn

Quote jackxattack
    Sorry to burst your bubble John but I was told by a friend today that the labelling in Bob Trollops regarding what is/isn't vegan isn't 100% accurate as it was done by head office who just guessed what was vegan.

I went to Sky Apple Cafe in Heaton today (it's literally 30 seconds walk from my house but it was only my second time going in more than a year) and had a really good hummus burrito w/a nice side salad and roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Also, as a moot point all the girls who work there are very pretty....actually..it just depresses me more than anything. Ah well... the food is goood.

Yes, the Sky Apple is my fave place to eat in Newcastle. Really friendly and excellent food. I had one of the nicest vegan meals ever there, a gorgeous mushroom risotto with soya cream used instead of dairy cream.

There are some very pretty ladies that work there too, I have certainly noticed :>

Gliondrach

Herbwormwood, I'll write to the council. More yuppie flats? Everywhere I look they are going up.

Gliondrach

Sky Apple, eh? I might pop along. I should be able to visit it two or three times before I get banned.

Quote VeganJohn
    Yes, the Sky Apple is my fave place to eat in Newcastle.
    Would you please post the opening times? We stopped going after we went there a couple of times when we asumed it would be open, and it was closed, so we assumed it had closed down. As we don't live near Heaton we had been fairly pissed off. You know when you are hungy and expecting to be fed and then you end up going home and cooking dinner instead. Grrrr!

VeganJohn

Apparently they are open from 10am until 6.30pm and 10am until 5pm on Saturdays. They are open some Sundays and serve a Sunday lunch, but you will have to check. On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays they become a 'restaurant' in the evenings and serve their evening menu from 6pm onwards. I have no idea what time they close.

Several times I have gone only to find the place shut, you are not alone!! Still the best place to eat in Newcastle though :>

Hi Everyone

This is my first posting to the list

I would really like to know if anyone knows of a supplier of vegan grown fruit and veg in the north east. ?

I've been vegan a month from being a vegetarian and it's great

I was in York yesterday for the Viva roadshow, awesome, joined up while we were there, learned lots, bought some, and tasted everything

bye

VeganJohn

jacobite, if you go into Almonds and Raisins in Newcastle, they have a stand of fruit opposite the dining tables. This is advertising a company that deliver organic produce I think. I can't remember the name, but they had a website. Perhaps you could ring the shop and ask?

Quote VeganJohn
    jacobite, if you go into Almonds and Raisins in Newcastle, they have a stand of fruit opposite the dining tables. This is advertising a company that deliver organic produce I think. I can't remember the name, but they had a website. Perhaps you could ring the shop and ask?
    Its Orchardfield Organics
    http://www.orchardfieldorganics.co.uk/

Can anyone suggest an eatery I could take my mother to for lunch in Sunderland... within walking distance of the town centre? We have arranged to meet there for lunch and a shopping trip on Wednesday. It does not have to be vegan but I have to be able to get something to eat and hopefully with a nice atmosphere for an old lady to have a "treat" lunch out.
    Oriental or Italian maybe?

Gliondrach

Another furry friend in need of help. This is what my vet nurse friend wrote:

Please pass this on to anyone you think fit -

Rescue centres just aren't shifting cats/kittens right now and I have a very desperate cat here whose situation is becoming urgent.
    Tom is 8 years old but young at heart, enormous (overweight) and friendly & affectionate. He has lived with children. He MUST have outdoor access so needs a semi-rural/quiet are to live. He cannot be strictly outdoors as he loves human contact, but he will not use a litter tray and is used to going outside his entrire life.
    Nobody wants him because he is 8 (which in my experience is NOT old for a cat!) and black. But he's GORGEOUS! He is castrated, fully vaccinated, and treated for fleas & worms.
    He is currently in the hospital but I am getting increasing pressure from my boss to get him out. I have had to tell them he has a home pending, though he doesn't. I have been searching for 3 weeks.
    -----------------------

Please pass it on or contact me if you can help.

Thanks.

Martin.

Bob Trollpes
    I have heard that they are trying to persuade their suppliers (s&n)
    to get in some veggie beers since they relaunched as a veggie food pub.

The only other place I know that sell veggie beers is weatherspoons

Gibby

Gliondrach

In case anyone is interested, there is a demo in Newcastle on Saturday against Thomas Cook. People are to meet at the Monument at 12 noon. Then on to Cook's shop at the bottom of Northumberland Street. Nice and handy for the police station. Not so far to be dragged in handcuffs.

why protest against thomas cook?

Id love to know

ta

G

Gliondrach

It will be a protest about Thomas Cook's refusal to stop selling holidays in Mauritius. If they did so, and told the Mauritian government the reason, the trade in monkeys from the island for vivisection might be banned. Cook is one of the biggest arrangers of holidays there.

http://www.gatewaytohell.net/news/2005/08/10b.html

http://www.gatewaytohell.net/

http://www.gatewaytohell.net/mauritius.html

I have a prior engagement and won't be at the protest. But I will try to get there before it ends.

Gliondrach

There's a job going at Newcastle Cat and Dog Shelter.

They need someone with 'customer service' experience.

Telephone 215 0435 and ask for Catherine.

I don't know what their policy is on guests who have stayed too long. I don't know if they kill them.

I live in Sunderland.

Gliondrach

We won't hold that against you.

Welcome.