Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Films with an Animals Rights message

Default Re: Films with an Animals Rights message

that;s a good one, mog. I'll remember to use that.

RubyDuby

thats the exact response i use.

i actually lost a friend over that one.

he didnt like my response. He kept asking questions and getting mad at my responses... then again i can be pretty tactless. whatever.
    that was in the past and i'm getting better.

sorry about keeping up the off-topicness.

umm... Things We Lost In The Fire.
    the lil girl was vege.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I recomend The Witness (A Tribe of Heart Documentary-they also made Peaceable Kingdom) a fantastic story about how one person's love for a domestic animal billows into love for all animals..And it expounds upon how ugly the fur industry is as well..
    I've seen Meet Your Meat & that is why I've not yet seen Earthlings, but I will try to see soon...

Quote Steph View Post
    I recomend The Witness (A Tribe of Heart Documentary-they also made Peaceable Kingdom) a fantastic story about how one person's love for a domestic animal billows into love for all animals..And it expounds upon how ugly the fur industry is as well..

I really want to see that! My friends were telling me about it last weekend.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    thats the exact response i use.

i actually lost a friend over that one.

he didnt like my response. He kept asking questions and getting mad at my responses... then again i can be pretty tactless. whatever.
    that was in the past and i'm getting better.

sorry about keeping up the off-topicness.
    I also apologise for continuing off-topicness, but just wanted to say I really feel for you losing a friend over that response. I struggle a lot when I want to say things like that which to me are completely reasonable (in the sense all species are all equal as animals on this planet), but to a standard omni would be completely unjustifiably cruel (ie. humans are *special* and live by different rules to animals). I sometimes feel like I am living on a different plane of existence, so wide is the gulf in understanding between me and my relatives/friends.

Moan over. *continues reading about interesting films*

cobweb

ooh i really want to buy 'the witness' for some friends of mine who 'love' animals but won't even consider allowing their kids to go veggie (even though they keep asking!).

Default Re: Films with an AR message

Quote meggymaggoo View Post

One of my favourite film moments comes from All the Little Animals (1999) - Christian Bale's character is in a rowing boat on a river with a fox on his lap. It's a beautiful scene, truly lovely.
    I saw this thread and right away thought 'all the little animals'! I thought the message was good.. there is a part when Hurt shows the cycle of life.. where mice eat what people left behind, and cockroaches eat what mice leave behind and that basically every creature is precious and has its own role to fill.
    Meh!

Quote bugaboo View Post
    "

"Milo and Otis", does anyone remember that little gem? I don't much care for talking animal movies but this is just adorable.
    I loved that movie so much!
    Meh!

shark tale (one of the sharks was vegetarian).

RubyDuby

Harry and the Hendersons
    except Harry the vegetarian ate fish. I'm not sure the word pescetarian was even invented yet then though...

All the Little Animals

I don't think it has a 'message' technically but Everything is Illuminated is a great movie and the main character Jonathan Foer is vegetarian and there is a quite funny scene in the movie involving him telling the others he doesn't eat animals. Also he defends the poor doggie getting kicked in one scene.

Does anyone remember The Animals of Farthing Wood? I'm not if it was shown in the US but it was a children's programme (C. 1994) about a group of animals who unite to survive the perils of humanity when their habitat gets wrecked by builders and they go on a long journey to find a nature reserve. I used to love it and still have them all on VHS!! It covered lots of issues such as hunting and pesticide use but its main message was anti-speciesism.

Really made me ashamed to be human!

RubyDuby

awesome. ^
    I just looked it up and you can watch the episodes on youtube!

too bad my computer is acting a fool.

Quote Corvus View Post
    Does anyone remember The Animals of Farthing Wood? I'm not if it was shown in the US but it was a children's programme (C. 1994) about a group of animals who unite to survive the perils of humanity when their habitat gets wrecked by builders and they go on a long journey to find a nature reserve. I used to love it and still have them all on VHS!! It covered lots of issues such as hunting and pesticide use but its main message was anti-speciesism.

Really made me ashamed to be human!
    I used to watch it all the time and I had all the VHS at one point. Hehe!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote Corvus View Post
    I used to love it and still have them all on VHS!!
    Me too!! I used to LOVE these, and they were also originally really good books by Colin Dann. I remember the TV series especially as being both really fun and uplifting, but also so upsetting in places. I must re-watch them as I don't remember the details well.

cobweb

i read the books, they were good.

I'm thinking about having an Earthlings screening here at school for some friends. I saw it recently and it really affected me. Hopefully I'll be able to get some support from other vegans (don't wanna be the lone vegan in the room!). A few of my friends showed interest after I'd seen it, so hopefully the plan will work out and they'll show up!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

songlife

Thumbs up Re: Films with an AR message

Quote Pilaf View Post
    My favorite animated film with an animal rights message is Pom Poko.

It's directed by Isao Takahada, and is an animated film. It comes from the same studio which produced the top grossing animated films, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

It's really quite good.
    oooOOooo, I loooooved those movies. So good! I'll have to watch it, thank you.

Also I suggest not the Harry Potter movies (because they sadly took out most of the animal rights parts, and there were soooo many) but the books. Hermione, one of Harry's best friends and also the most intelligent student at her school, tries to protect the rights of several magical non-human creatures and is ridiculed by her peers for it. There are many instances in the books where the kids (although still omnivores) save and protect (or try to) half-human and non-human creatures. The books contain many metaphors and relativities to the world we live in today. The promotion of these books is rights activism. The movies take out the most important and controversial bits so I really suggest to read the books themselves.

songlife

.....and I KEEP TRYING to get my MOTHER to fricking watch EARTHLINGS!!!!!!! argh!! None of my family listens to me!!!!!!!!! *breathes*

Out of my entire family she's the one who loves animals most, along with me, and she even has a tiny budgie that she loves incredibly much, and admittedly it's the happiest budgie in the world, it's always flying around and hanging out with her and they chat with each other constantly.

So I tried to tell her to watch Earthlings and see what happens to other birds who have simelar feelings and minds to precious Fudgie the budgie, the little pipsqueak who says full sentences and buddies up to everyone.

*Sigh*

well maybe this week.

Quote songlife View Post
    .....and I KEEP TRYING to get my MOTHER to fricking watch EARTHLINGS!!!!!!! argh!! None of my family listens to me!!!!!!!!! *breathes*

Out of my entire family she's the one who loves animals most, along with me, and she even has a tiny budgie that she loves incredibly much, and admittedly it's the happiest budgie in the world, it's always flying around and hanging out with her and they chat with each other constantly.

So I tried to tell her to watch Earthlings and see what happens to other birds who have simelar feelings and minds to precious Fudgie the budgie, the little pipsqueak who says full sentences and buddies up to everyone.

*Sigh*

well maybe this week.
    Actually I warned my family. I said be prepared, too never ever eat *&^% again,!

Quote Vegabond View Post
    Actually I warned my family. I said be prepared, too never ever eat *&^% again,!
    And did they?

I watched Earthlings as an already-vegan so interested in any omnivores' experiences. I'm not pushing things on my family but I will certainly be encouraging them to watch it if the opportunity arises, especially my brother who I've had many conversations with about veganism.

Quote mogthecat View Post
    And did they?

I watched Earthlings as an already-vegan so interested in any omnivores' experiences. I'm not pushing things on my family but I will certainly be encouraging them to watch it if the opportunity arises, especially my brother who I've had many conversations with about veganism.

No not yet. I'm looking to buy the DVD first, as I watched a downloaded version...I want them to see 55 inches of HD HORROR!!!

Quote Vegabond View Post
    No not yet. I'm looking to buy the DVD first, as I watched a downloaded version...I want them to see 55 inches of HD HORROR!!!
    I watched the download too and would like to buy the DVD to support the film makers, though I don't think I could cope with watching it again myself for a very long time. It almost makes me not want my family/friends to see it because it's so upsetting, but of course it's the truth and any upset we humans feel is incomparable to the suffering shown in the film. Also, it's put together so well that the overall message is positive, I think - giving ideas on how to improve, not just showing the horror.

I hope your family respond well to it.

Well if they respond like I did, then we can surely add a few more names to the master vegan list! That movie shocked over to the light (from darkness of course)

LuVegan15

Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if it's already been mentioned; Fast Food Nation.

Mirbezzla

Quote mogthecat View Post
    I watched Earthlings as an already-vegan so interested in any omnivores' experiences. I'm not pushing things on my family but I will certainly be encouraging them to watch it if the opportunity arises...
    I watched Earthlings a week after I turned vegan. I started crying after 5 minutes and kept crying for 5 more hours. Earthlings made me realize that I'd never be able to come back to a vegetarian diet. But I think it's just me. I made two of my omni friends watch the whole movie. Both of them seemed to be quite shocked but kept eating meat afterwards.

The movie is upsetting but the fact that some people don't stop eating animals after watching it is tragic.

"Les animaux amoureux"
    This is not a movie but a very nice French documentary about the love of animals. It took many years to films all the scenes for the movie.

Here is a teaser:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgR6-M5z6dU

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0498091/

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this before, but...Bambi! Happy singing animals skipping around in the forest, then Man enters the picture and BOOM! Bambi’s mom has a bullet in her side and poor little Bambi is an orphan. This cartoon has traumatised generations of children (myself included)!

I watched Year of the Dog last week because a friend lent it to me and told me it was funny, which it was but also made me cry a lot in places

Ratatouille would go in with Finding Nemo and Bee Movie I think. I loved those 3 movies. Got my dad to watch Finding Nemo since he's got a pond with fish in yet still eats fish. Grr. Didn't convince him to stop though.

Stuart Little was a cool movie about a family that want to adopt and then choose a mouse instead of a boy. Very cute film.

Quote StevieP View Post
    And mostly all Disney stories - only the bad guys eat meat. Even in The Lion King its only the evil lion and the hyenas that kill, for some reason all the pray animals love the good lions.
    The good lions eat meat as well - as I remember, we don't see them kill or eat other animals, but they mention that they do it.

I'm interested by the reactions to Babe that have been mentioned on this thread. Largely, I would suspect that if a film is about talking/anthropomorphic animals (e.g. Chicken Run, Finding Nemo) then it is obviously a "fantasy" and therefore unlikely to give anyone views on animals that they would apply to reality. I wonder if it has anything to do with Babe being a live-action film, filmed with real animals?

Quote DarmokTheGreen View Post
    Babe being a live-action film, filmed with real animals?
    Even with the positive message in Babe, from some points of view, the use of live animals would make it an un-vegan production. This would especially apply to the abolitionist thinkers amongst us.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Has anyone watched A Bug's Life? I've just ordered a copy. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Quote ShariBlackVelvet View Post
    Has anyone watched A Bug's Life? I've just ordered a copy. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.
    Yeah! It's quite funny too....

i saw Earthlings at a viewing peta put on at a local college campus in chicago. a lot of people showed up, i was surprised, but happy. honestly, at parts the whole room was tearing up/crying. no one walked out though, but i think most the people there knew what it was going to be. it was a good overview to inform people, and really hits home with your emotions. i would definitely recommend it.

Quote ShariBlackVelvet View Post
    I had a problem with the male worker ants.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Zero

Quote Aims View Post
    The scene in Powder, where he makes the hunter feel the pain of the deer he just shot is pretty powerful.
    Yeah, that is a great scene. The hunter saying that the deer isn't feeling anything and that it struggling is just muscle spasms. It really reflects the way people try to justify their brutality to themselves, because they are probably suppressing the idea that killing is wrong.

isolation......dont fuck with the cow! cause it'll end up eating you....
    death for no reason is MURDER