Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Films with an Animals Rights message

Default Re: Films with an AR message

Judge John Deed - I read an interview with the vegan actress, Jenny Seagrove (Lifescape magazine) where she said the the whole team are veg*n and it's a veg*n set.

The stories are good.

One of my favourite film moments comes from All the Little Animals (1999) - Christian Bale's character is in a rowing boat on a river with a fox on his lap. It's a beautiful scene, truly lovely.

John Hurt plays a hermit who roams the countryside protecting wildlife and picking up roadkill to bury them.

The Tag Line: On this Earth, in this land, we are all here for a reason.
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

I liked "Running on Empty" with River Phoenix, where his parents blew up a lab and his whole family is on the run. I thought it was an animal testing lab, but it was actually a napalm lab in the Vietnam War. No AR message, but it's the same kind of sentiment. Good film

Just to clarify, the film looks at the effect their action has on their family, doesn't really take a stance either way. It doesn't condone that kind of violence.

feral

Second hand lion has a nice lil message from what I remember of it.

i just saw a preview on tv for a kids film where the kids were all about saving an owl habitat. it made me so happy-
    i think it was based on a book
    yay!!

now if someone could help me out with the film title....i hate when i post things in a half ass manner

Not a movie but Beast Boy on Teen Titans is vegan. He's the little green guy who can morph into any kind of animal he wants (which is why he doesn't eat them). He always says he's vegetarian but he doesn't do eggs or dairy either. Some cute quotes:

[the Titans are deciding on pizza toppings]
    Cyborg: Come on, how can you deprive me of the all-meat experience?
    Beast Boy: Dude, I've BEEN most of those animals.

Beast Boy: Who wants tofu waffles?
    Cyborg: Man, *no one* wants tofu waffles.

Cyborg: Is there any meat in that tofu?
    Beast Boy: No, there's no meat in the tofu, it's TOFU.

Cyborg: Alright, there's only one way that can memorate such a momentous occasion: Waffles!
    Starfire: Perfect!
    Beast Boy: Can it be non-dairy waffles?

gmoney

the owl movie is "hoot." from what i've seen, it's awesome.

in "jay and silent bob strike back," jay and silent bob free a whole lab of animals and make friends with a chimpanzee.

an episode of "south park," although it did encourage meat eating, discussed the horrid conditions of veal farming.

'Barnyard' a very funny farm film
    BY JAMES WARD, Gannett News Service, August 3, 2006

OK, let's get this out of the way first. Yes, "Barnyard" gets the whole cow thing wrong. Male cattle don't have udders.

If you can't get past the fact the filmmakers failed animal husbandry, "Barnyard" isn't your type of film. When you have an animated movie about animals that walk upright, speak in English and have all-night dance parties when the farmer calls it a night, a little suspension of disbelief is in order.

Once you let that disbelief kick in, "Barnyard" turns out to be a clever, often laugh-out-loud funny and exciting animated film. You have got to love a movie in which barnyard animals argue about the differences between being a vegan or a vegetarian. (Turns out the farmer who owns all the animals in "Barnyard" is a vegan, bless his soul.)

Funny, too, is a bunch of chickens using a picture of Col. Sanders as a dart board. Or a group of cows that go "boy tipping" in the suburbs. (When the hysterical boy tells his parents he was attacked by cows, his father responds: "No more Red Bull for you.")

"Barnyard" tells the story of a young bull named Otis (voiced by Kevin James), who is on his father's (Sam Elliot) bad side. Otis refuses to take responsibility, preferring to party all night with his barnyard buddies.

Otis' carefree life is shattered, though, when his father is killed by a group of marauding coyotes that were trying to raid the farm's hen house. With the death of his father, the animals turn to Otis for leadership and protection.

Besides filling the movie with tons of jokes (there are some funny jabs at "Riverdance" and Rick James), director Steve Oedekerk includes some effective action scenes. The climatic battle between Otis and the coyotes is full of gnashing teeth and bone-crunching body slams.

Besides the clever jokes and effective action scenes, Oedekerk populates the movie with some memorable characters. The best: Miles (Danny Glover), a wise donkey whose kick is almost lethal, and Pip (Jeff Garcia), a spunky mouse.

www.barnyardmovie.com

Not AR but oddly this was one of the things that helped me decide to go vegan.

Snatch:

Tommy: "Cows have only been domesticated in the last 8000 years. Before that, they were running around as mad as lorries. The human digestive system hasn't got used to any dairy products yet."

Turkish: "Well, F**k me, Tommy. What have you been reading?"

Quote gertvegan
    OK, let's get this out of the way first. Yes, "Barnyard" gets the whole cow thing wrong. Male cattle don't have udders.
    I've been hesitant to see this film because I feared it would be grossly misrepresentative... but that is just crazy! Or... maybe the character was just a butch female cow. In which case the film would also have a pro-gay rights message!

Quote gertvegan
    Funny, too, is a bunch of chickens using a picture of Col. Sanders as a dart board. Or a group of cows that go "boy tipping" in the suburbs. (When the hysterical boy tells his parents he was attacked by cows, his father responds: "No more Red Bull for you.")
    Now that would be reason enough to fork out $10 for a ticket!

I watched earthlings online. It took me several sittings to watch it, I couldn't handle too much at once. Very disturbing and not suitable for children.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...hoenix&pl=true

Watership down is my favourite film/book.

It is probably the most emotional story I have ever read.
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

Quote jennyL
    I watched earthlings online. It took me several sittings to watch it, I couldn't handle too much at once. Very disturbing and not suitable for children.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...hoenix&pl=true
    I just watched Earthlings a few days ago. I highly recommend it.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

IndigoSea

What about Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron? I think it carries a strong message of just letting nature be. And also Fern Gully- although that's more environmental

Fox and the Hound
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

Does anyone know a french (?) movie about two aliens, who are vegans and can communicate with their home planet only when they put feet in water?
    I saw it about 8 years ago and forgot the name.
    thanks

Legally Blonde II- a young lawyer gets an animal testing lab shut down.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Quote Imapeach View Post
    I've been hesitant to see this film because I feared it would be grossly misrepresentative...
    Same here. All these 3D animal movies have got me nervous. Finding Nemo was, of course, adorable, and Chicken Run was awesome, but Madagascar? Wasn't that the movie where the animals escaped from the zoo and wanted to go back? Please. *eyeroll*

I'm surprised no one has said the Rats of NIHM yet. o.o That's my favorite AR-message movie of all time.

Check out "Open Season" if you can. I saw it last weekend. It is an animated I-MAX 3D film. The animals of the forest turn on the hunters and drive them away. It was fun.

The scene in Powder, where he makes the hunter feel the pain of the deer he just shot is pretty powerful.

veggiewoman

I remember years ago watching PROJECT X -
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800108393/info ,
    although I was only about 12 when I saw it, too me it was a very powerful heartmoving film.

Quote Aims View Post
    The scene in Powder, where he makes the hunter feel the pain of the deer he just shot is pretty powerful.
    I remember seeing that film when I was just 10 years old. I cried throughout much of it, especially in the end (which in that scene was a combination of sad and happy tears).

By the way, that's a good reference, Aims.

Yogini

Quote thecatspajamas1 View Post
    Legally Blonde II- a young lawyer gets an animal testing lab shut down.
    That movie was really cute. I love when Elle promises Bruiser (her chihuahua) that she'll never wear make-up tested on animals again, even if she has to buy the stuff at the health food store.

Default Vegan/AR affirmative movies

Hi people,

I'm trying to compile a list of mainstream movies which are speaking affirmatively about animals as sensible/sensitive beigns or persons, AR or vegan issues. I composed starter list, please make your contribution. If you think some of this movies shouldn't be there, please say so.

01. FREE WILLY (1993) Simon Wincer
    02. FREE WILLY 2: THE ADVENTURE HOME (1995) Dwight H. Little
    03. FREE WILLY 3: THE RESCUE (1997) Sam Pillsbury
    04. BABE (1995) Chris Noonan
    05. BABE: PIG IN THE CITY (1998) George Miller
    06. CHICKEN RUN (2000) Peter Lord & Nick Park
    07. FINDING NEMO (2003) Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich
    08. LEGALLY BLONDE 2: RED, WHITE & BLONDE (2003) Charles Herman-Wurmfeld
    09. THE HUNTED (2003) William Friedkin
    10. SHARK TALE (2004) Bibo Bergeron & Vicky Jenson
    11. CHARLOTTE'S WEBB (2006) Gary Winick
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 23rd, 2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

"Fast Food Nation", showcasing annoying US obsession with fast food and has an interesting take on meat production and illegal immigration. On the dvd, in the special features menu, there is the animated series "the meatrix"

Quote Russ View Post
    Wait, I just watched part 2, it promotes eating dairy from independent farms. Forget it.
    I believe the short says if you really need to eat dairy, make sure to buy from family farms (as suffering is reduced.)

"Milo and Otis", does anyone remember that little gem? I don't much care for talking animal movies but this is just adorable.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Default Re: Films with an Animals Rights message

i'm watching earthlings on google video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0). I'm 17 minutes in and can't watch any more. It's heartbreaking.

Pilaf

Princess Mononoke has subtle pro-nature, pro-green and animal rights messages, although it doesn't specifically promote a vegetarian lifestyle in any way.

In fact, all of Hayao Miyazaki's films have a positive, thought provoking message about cause and effect, mostly relating to the relationship between humanity and the environment.

indeed, i love Miyazaki's work.

i was looking forward to Studio Ghibli's movie adaptation of the novel A Wizard of Earthsea, which itself has messages about being in harmony with nature, but i've read reviews of it that say it's fairly average and doesn't live up to expectations. i'm still hoping i'll get a chance to see it, though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

puca

Quote Spiral View Post
    Richard Adams wrote a book called The Plague Dogs about two dogs who escape from a vivisection lab which was made into an animated film in 1982.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...075293-4431104
    I never knew how to feel after watching this... It is pretty good.

I would say Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Wer-Rabbit, but Wallace eats cheese. Aside from that, I love that series and that film does have animal rights-friendly subtleties.

Yes I've seen Earthlings! It's amazing, but very upsetting with a lot of animal abuse footage. It's a documentary narrated by Joaquin Phoenix (who is vegan) and the soundtrack is by Moby. It is all about the way animals are exploited and killed for human needs and shows every animal rights issue. I swear if everyone watched this there would be so many more vegans, it is powerful and upsetting and I even learned things I didn't know. eg in Japan they not only kill whales, but dolphins too (and pass the meat off as whale meat) grouse!

Here is a link to Earthlings as you can stream it online, its about 1hr30mins long:

http://veg-tv. info/Earthlings
    Purple Monkey! :)

Question Re: Films with an Animals Rights message

I know this is quite an old thread but I watched Earthlings last night. I am already a vegan and have seen films like 'Meet your Meat' but there was so much more in Earthlings and it will take me a long time to process all the images. Some are so haunting. I am finding it incomprehensible how there can be such a wide gulf of understanding and knowledge between vegans and omnis. It seems like the biggest and sickest ever practical joke in the sense that it doesn't seem possible for so much suffering to continually happen on such a large scale. I almost - *almost* - feel like I'm at the point where my brain just cannot take it all in. It seems like a bad dream that can't possibly be true. Of course, I know it is true.

I have a practical question about it which goes back to my way of thinking as an omni. I have no experience or knowledge at all (beyond movies like Earthlings, and my general knowledge - most of which is probably wrong) of farming/meat production. However, when one walks or drives about the countryside there are fields of animals of the kind used for meat which seem to have freedom to move around (within fences, of course), have their children growing up alongside them and seem to be allowed to pursue a relatively natural way of life and feeding.

Now, I still believe this is fundamentally wrong and would not eat meat or dairy if the animal it came from asked me to. However, as an omni this kind of happy idyllic countryside image was what always came to mind when (or if) I thought about where my meat came from, and I think a lot of omnis have their ignorant ideas reinforced as this is the only image they see (Slaughterhouses, as the famous quote goes, have no windows).

My reason for asking is that I would like some 'ammunition' to be able to reply to omnis who use this argument. Also, I would like to be able to convince the tiny part of myself which is in denial and thinking "it can't be that bad".

I'm particularly interested in the UK as most of the films and statistics available seem to be US-centric.

Thanks

Planet of the Apes (first one, anyway... haven't seen the others in a while).
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=5lzWVk2eKmA

The adventures of Raw Man and Green Girl!

(please watch it all the way through!)
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote mogthecat View Post
    I know this is quite an old thread but I watched Earthlings last night. I am already a vegan and have seen films like 'Meet your Meat' but there was so much more in Earthlings and it will take me a long time to process all the images. Some are so haunting. I am finding it incomprehensible how there can be such a wide gulf of understanding and knowledge between vegans and omnis. It seems like the biggest and sickest ever practical joke in the sense that it doesn't seem possible for so much suffering to continually happen on such a large scale. I almost - *almost* - feel like I'm at the point where my brain just cannot take it all in. It seems like a bad dream that can't possibly be true. Of course, I know it is true.

I have a practical question about it which goes back to my way of thinking as an omni. I have no experience or knowledge at all (beyond movies like Earthlings, and my general knowledge - most of which is probably wrong) of farming/meat production. However, when one walks or drives about the countryside there are fields of animals of the kind used for meat which seem to have freedom to move around (within fences, of course), have their children growing up alongside them and seem to be allowed to pursue a relatively natural way of life and feeding.

Now, I still believe this is fundamentally wrong and would not eat meat or dairy if the animal it came from asked me to. However, as an omni this kind of happy idyllic countryside image was what always came to mind when (or if) I thought about where my meat came from, and I think a lot of omnis have their ignorant ideas reinforced as this is the only image they see (Slaughterhouses, as the famous quote goes, have no windows).

My reason for asking is that I would like some 'ammunition' to be able to reply to omnis who use this argument. Also, I would like to be able to convince the tiny part of myself which is in denial and thinking "it can't be that bad".

I'm particularly interested in the UK as most of the films and statistics available seem to be US-centric.

Thanks
    My answer is always the same and I have posted this somewhere else.

"They have to die!"

For example:

Omni: Meat is tasty
    Me: but it still had to die

Omni: It had a good "free range life"
    me: but it still had to die.

I keep my shit simple these days cuz I can't arsed. Others will guide you better I think.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote mogthecat View Post
    I watched Earthlings after being a vegan for 4 years. It affected me so much, particularly after I felt that I may have started to be "desensitized" when it came to gruelling images of animal cruelty.

Earthlings was the hardest thing I have ever had to watch in my life. It strengthened my resolve as a vegan and animal rights activist and it's made me want to work harder for the animals.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    "They have to die!"
    Absolutely right, of course. There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. As a new vegan, I think I'm still struggling to break free of some of the cultural assumptions surrounding meat production/consumption because I am just so used to thinking like that (I was a classic ignorant argumentative omni for the first 22 years of my life...and now an argumentative vegan ). I need to remember that it really is that simple and there is never any justification, however complicated (or stupid!) omnis' arguments are.

Quote Roxy View Post
    Earthlings was the hardest thing I have ever had to watch in my life.
    I completely agree. It reminded me of History lessons at school where we watched video footage of the Holocaust victims. Children should have education on where their food comes from as part of their education. One of my strongest feelings since becoming vegan is anger that nobody ever told me the details or encouraged me to find out for myself. Western culture (I can't speak for any others) seems to create 2 images - 1. happy animals in fields and in children's picture books, and 2. "traditional family roast" and other cosy family/food-orientated things. There is a convenient gap in the middle I think most children (me included) just never consider...and it's very hard for kids to get out of this mindset. Especially for me as in my family anybody vegetarian (vegan was almost unthinkable) or even with food allergies was considered "fussy" and, to an extent, selfish. I didn't even consider this attitude might have flaws until I got to uni and met 2 wonderful vegetarians...and then I didn't even become a fishitarian until 4 years later! 1 year on from that I'm a vegan and they're still veggie!

But I'm rambling...I guess I'm saying children have the right to be given all the facts and not have them conveniently hidden away.

cobweb

i'm too frightened to watch Earthlings but i have begged my brother to do so. Even though he's had 'pet' cats before he says he just doesn't relate to animals atall and cannot empathise with them. We have actually found that our once close relationship has completely broken down over this because i find the whole idea of someone so devoid of empathy quite monstrous .

Quote cobweb View Post
    i'm too frightened to watch Earthlings but i have begged my brother to do so. Even though he's had 'pet' cats before he says he just doesn't relate to animals atall and cannot empathise with them. We have actually found that our once close relationship has completely broken down over this because i find the whole idea of someone so devoid of empathy quite monstrous .
    I really sympathise with that. Part of me is scared to encourage the people I love to watch/read the things I have read. It would be truly horrendous and so hard to deal with if they didn't react in an empathetic way. I can't imagine how anyone could watch Earthlings and no go vegan immediately, but I know there are people out there who wouldn't.

cobweb

I gave my dad the story book 'Big Pig' (by Andrew Tyler, from AnimalAid's shop) last year - he said it was a 'bit sad' .

Quote Roxy View Post

Earthlings was the hardest thing I have ever had to watch in my life. It strengthened my resolve as a vegan and animal rights activist and it's made me want to work harder for the animals.
    I completely agree with this one. I've seen so much stuff on factory farms and slaughter, the bit that affected me most was the pet industry section. I was bawling throughout.

It turned a friend vegan after I posted it on myspace.

which friend was that Bryan? Also i haven't seen that film, glad of it, by the sound of it lol

cobweb

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I completely agree with this one. I've seen so much stuff on factory farms and slaughter, the bit that affected me most was the pet industry section. I was bawling throughout.

It turned a friend vegan after I posted it on myspace.

oh god now you've aroused my curiosity but i know damn well i shouldn't watch it. I'm glad i did watch AR stuff years ago though because even though it was horribly harrowing (mainly footage of real animal experiments because vivisection is my 'pet hate') it remains with me and makes my determination stronger. Also when i'm whingeing on and being all self-pitying i remind myself to just be thankful i'm not enduring what those animals are going through right now in laboratories .

Whilst not exactly animal right's and extremely cheezy, "Shoot 'Em Up" is an action movie where the hero is a vegan. It's also ACE!!!!

a cartoon "Bee movie" ... got me into thinking about life of bees (and made my ex-boyfriend think i'm crazy, heh).

RubyDuby

Quote Biozombie View Post
    Whilst not exactly animal right's and extremely cheezy, "Shoot 'Em Up" is an action movie where the hero is a vegan. It's also ACE!!!!
    really? i would have never added that movie to my queue... but here i go.
    Quote emzy1985 View Post
    My answer is always the same and I have posted this somewhere else.

"They have to die!"

For example:

Omni: Meat is tasty
    Me: but it still had to die

Omni: It had a good "free range life"
    me: but it still had to die.

I keep my shit simple these days cuz I can't arsed. Others will guide you better I think.
    thats a tricky one though cuz that argument often gets used by the other side.

me: the animals get treated so badly...
    omni: they are still going to have to die eventually though...

that one in particular boils me.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

littlewinker

Finding Nemo

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    really? i would have never added that movie to my queue... but here i go.

thats a tricky one though cuz that argument often gets used by the other side.

and you could say: it boils down to basic economic principles of supply and demand. if you don't eat it, they won't make it.

RubyDuby

oh i have quite a few responses to that one.
    they generally stop trying to argue at that point.

like I said, that one really pisses me off.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote RubyDuby View Post

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    oh i have quite a few responses to that one.
    they generally stop trying to argue at that point.
    Obvious, I know, but how about: "You're going to have to die eventually, too. Does that mean it's OK to treat you badly?".

Don't know if I'd actually say that though...