Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Films with an Animals Rights message

Default Films with an Animals Rights message

Can anyone think of any movies that come over as being pro animal rights or have bits in them that convey that message.
    I can think of Instinct,Grey owl,Babe,Gorillas in the Mist,Soylent Green(maybe) but i'm struggling after that.Anyone?

I've been quite enjoying watching 'Judge John Deed' on BBc 1 lately as every week they manage to get some king of animal rights message across!

Default Re: Films with an AR message

I recently saw "The Island" which is a sci fi film about human cloning, and I did think that way they were growing the clones was like factory farming, there was actually a reference to an abbatoir in it. Unfortunately that film went downhill after about half way.
    Also "The Matrix"... the scene where the human batteries are shown, reminded me of factory farming. Obviously these 2 films are not explicitly animal rights films, but to those already enlightened, it could be an inspiring allegory.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Is there a film (maybe an animated one) of "Charlotte's Web"? I'd say the book of that certainly has a kind of animal rights message embedded in it, along the same lines as "Babe".

Interesting about Judge John Deed - I don't think I've seen that, how do they work in the message? I think Martin Shaw is a vegetarian isn't he so maybe he wrote it into his contract

Quote herbwormwood
    I recently saw "The Island"
    I was an extra in The Island, lol. Michael Bay (director) called me a m*****f****r Oh and I got to meet Ewan Mcgreggor.

Quote harpy
    Is there a film (maybe an animated one) of "Charlotte's Web"? I'd say the book of that certainly has a kind of animal rights message embedded in it, along the same lines as "Babe".

Interesting about Judge John Deed - I don't think I've seen that, how do they work in the message? I think Martin Shaw is a vegetarian isn't he so maybe he wrote it into his contract
    In one episode there was a fire bombing of vivisection labs at a university and one of the protestors was charged with murder.During the court case there were constant references to the treatment of animals and the pointlessness of experimentation etc etc.In the end it was the scientist himself who had planted the bomb with the help of government agencies to 'discredit' the AR movement.It was quite a surprise watching something like that on national TV!
    Every time he eats on the series he makes sure he mentions the fact it's vegetarian,things like that make it worth watching.He must have something written into his contract so that he has an input on the scripts!

Quote gogs67
    Every time he eats on the series he makes sure he mentions the fact it's vegetarian,things like that make it worth watching.He must have something written into his contract so that he has an input on the scripts!
    That sounds...fun - I'll have to try and catch it.

Quote harpy

'Charlotte's Web', in the style of 'Babe', will be released later this year with Dakota Fanning playing the role of fern.
    I read an article about it in the Animals Australia, 'Animals Today' magazine.

Pilaf

My favorite animated film with an animal rights message is Pom Poko.

It's directed by Isao Takahada, and is an animated film. It comes from the same studio which produced the top grossing animated films, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

It's really quite good.

Chicken Run, wins out hands down in my opinion. It's one of those movies I look forward to giving my nephew where I simultaneously dread the discussion that will undoubtedly follow with my sister-in-law.

(I can't really be the only one here who' seen it? I always assumed it be a veggie classic)

Richard Adams wrote a book called The Plague Dogs about two dogs who escape from a vivisection lab which was made into an animated film in 1982.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...075293-4431104

coney

There needs to be a film about teens (a couple of friends, or group of friends) living at home who want to be veg, but have parents who are not understanding about it. Then the teens are faced with leaving home to be able to follow his/her convictions, then the parents come around and try to help with the teen's new lifestyle. It shows what they go through in high school with others making fun of them etc. Just like lots of stories I've heard.

if there are any film makers out there, make a *good* indy film about that, it'll be a hit.

Quote Troub
    I was an extra in The Island, lol. Michael Bay (director) called me a m*****f****r Oh and I got to meet Ewan Mcgreggor.
    Hey, so you're sort of famous!
    May be slightly off topic, but do any of you know of any factual videos/DVDs that would be suitable to show children 11/12years old about the meat/dairy industry?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Why did he call you that?

Quote RedWellies
    May be slightly off topic, but do any of you know of any factual videos/DVDs that would be suitable to show children 11/12years old about the meat/dairy industry?
    Animal Aid has sent me a DVD called "Eat This" which is aimed at KS 4 students. I also got one from Viva called "Not in my name". I have not watched either as I think I would be upset.
    They will probably send you a free copy if you write.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

finding Nemo, 101 dalmations, rescuers downunder, little mermaid (chef sequence), city slickers, ET (frog sequence), free willy
    More recently anyone?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

VeganJohn

Not a recent film, but what about Watership Down? Very emotive film.

Has anyone heard of EARTHLINGS ?

I just heard about it yesterday but don't know much about it.
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

ANIMAL FARM

twelve monkeys

Wallace and Gromit - curse of the were-rabbit. They are very humane to the rabbits

Quote Span
    Wallace and Gromit - curse of the were-rabbit. They are very humane to the rabbits
    Havn't seen that one,need to watch it!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Am sure i read in an interview with Martin Shaw that he mentions veggie/vegan foods and animal rights issues as often as he can. He did have a say with Judge John Deed i think? I think I also read he and his wife are vegan

Yogini

Quote Troub
    Seriously? I've been in love with Ewan for years. Please don't tell me he's an a**hole.

Quote alisont
    I think I also read he and his wife are vegan
    Yes, he is vegan. He does a lot of work for VIVA!

Yogini

Most people hated it, but I thought Legally Blonde: Red, White, and Blonde was irresistably cute. I love when Elle promises Bruiser that she'll never use make-up tested on animals ever again, even if it means she has to buy the stuff at the health food store.

Babe and Chicken Run were mentioned. My cousin (a rabidly omnivorous, holy-rolling, racist, homophobe) has been unable to eat pork since she saw Babe. Unfortunately, since she's never seen any precious films about cows, poultry, fish, etc., they're fair game to her. I tried to get her to see Chicken Run when it came it, but she wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Quote Bodybuilder

I just heard about it yesterday but don't know much about it.
    i have it and if you can get anyone to watch it you have done your vegan job it turned my friend back into a vegetarian (why she stopped in the first place i don't know). as for me, it looks like a giant peta video- it really didn't go much deeper than slaughter houses and seal clubbing footage. a good christmas gift for all of your omni family members

Quote Yogini
    Babe and Chicken Run were mentioned. My cousin (a rabidly omnivorous, holy-rolling, racist, homophobe) has been unable to eat pork since she saw Babe.
    that's funny- i made my almost ex husband watch babe and he wouldn't eat pork for months!! then my sister told him free range chickens ate shit and he wouldn't eat that either.. for a short time.... maybe he needs to watch earthlings

Cool, thanks for the info about EARTHLINGS, I'll check it out sometime.

I also saw Eating 2nd Edition recently and really enjoyed that.

Of course Vegan Fitness Built Naturally, I am in so I recommend that.

There are quite a few vegan movies I haven't seen yet and I don't watch a whole lot of mainstream movies in theatres.
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Tiggerwoo

Tarkar The Otter....... Lovely film, old but with an anti-hunting message.

Kevster

Quote Bodybuilder
    Just watched it, as mophoto says you've really done your duty if you can get people to watch all of it. It's a pretty intense film covering the various animal industries, very graphic, brutal..... realistic. Though of course it is just a snapshot of what goes on.

It's a decent film, shown publicly i'd be interested if people watched transfixed, or walked out.

Delicatessen: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/

Its a futuristic film where meat has become very scarce and one hotel resorts to serving up the guests. The story centers around a circus performer who has had his chimp eaten, and thus, is unemployeed. The saviours of the story are a band vegetarians that live underground.

Its a black comedy if you've not yet guessed.

And mostly all Disney stories - only the bad guys eat meat. Even in The Lion King its only the evil lion and the hyenas that kill, for some reason all the pray animals love the good lions. Some how Disney's hand-in-hand relationship with McDonalds does not seemed to be harmed by the message in the films when they promote each other products.

The carton film Ice Age even has vegan jokes in it, e.g.
    Sid:" Well, I think you're stressed, and that's why you eat so much. I mean, it's hard to get fat on a vegan diet.". There are other references too.

Geoff

Quote mophoto
    i have it and if you can get anyone to watch it you have done your vegan job it turned my friend back into a vegetarian (why she stopped in the first place i don't know). as for me, it looks like a giant peta video- it really didn't go much deeper than slaughter houses and seal clubbing footage. a good christmas gift for all of your omni family members
    that's funny- i made my almost ex husband watch babe and he wouldn't eat pork for months!! then my sister told him free range chickens ate shit and he wouldn't eat that either.. for a short time.... maybe he needs to watch earthlings
    I've just ordered Earthlings from PETA on your recommendation so it had better be good or I'm coming after you! (It cost me $AU 35.00!)

There is a review for EARTHLINGS in the current issue of VegNews Magazine. It sounds like it is a pretty powerful movie and will help vegans become better activists.
    Robert Cheeke

Quote Geoff
    I've just ordered Earthlings from PETA on your recommendation so it had better be good or I'm coming after you! (It cost me $AU 35.00!)
    If you ordered it from the USA, I hope you've got a multi-region DVD player or you might not even be able to watch it.

Geoff

Quote Roxy
    If you ordered it from the USA, I hope you've got a multi-region DVD player or you might not even be able to watch it.
    I may be old but I ain't stupid, cobber.

I never said you were stupid.

saucyvegan

Quote gogs67
    Can anyone think of any movies that come over as being pro animal rights or have bits in them that convey that message.
    I can think of Instinct,Grey owl,Babe,Gorillas in the Mist,Soylent Green(maybe) but i'm struggling after that.Anyone?

I've been quite enjoying watching 'Judge John Deed' on BBc 1 lately as every week they manage to get some king of animal rights message across!
    Yes i saw Judge Deed for the 1st time about 6 weeks ago....it was the one about an animal rights activist that had been arrested and there were a lot of references to people I actually know in the movement. There was an old lady on there called Joan....and we all know Joan c right? The producer is animal rights and his wife runs an animal sanctuary I think. Have there been more along this line then? Cos if so then I shall start watching again!!

sugarmouse

Default Re: Earthlings

Good thread!
    waht about....ring of bright water?!i think any film based aroudn an animal character in a sense that it deems animals as sentient, moral,feeling beings.of course some films do this more than others.

ah watership downso so sad!

born free?i havent seen it but i have read the book.

saucyvegan

Default Re: Earthlings

Ahhh sugar...I have the film Born Free. Makes me cry everytime!

feral

I'm afraid I suffer from too much empathy and watching certain things trigger depression. I have to make sure I'm emotionally in a strong position before watching anything too graphic. Watership down has me wailing like a loon, I cried at the lion king, in the cinema with everyone laughing at me, kids and all lol

saucyvegan

Feral lol...its a joke with my family...when I watch a sad film, I keep it all in and then all of a sudden my chin goes and im wailing like a baby, snotty nose the lot.

feral

lol saucy I howled like an eejit at Million dollar baby, hubby came home to find me knee deep in snotty hankies lol

tabitha

Havent read the whole thread. Has anyone said "28 days later". The beginning bit where the animal rights people break into the lab and try to free the monkeys that have been infected with rage. Good film that.

tabitha

Actually, Ive just thought, thats anti animal rights, because they shouldnt have freed the monkeys cos thats what killed the human race. Sorry everyone. Ignore me. Alcohol talking again.

Quote feral
    I'm afraid I suffer from too much empathy and watching certain things trigger depression. I have to make sure I'm emotionally in a strong position before watching anything too graphic. Watership down has me wailing like a loon, I cried at the lion king, in the cinema with everyone laughing at me, kids and all lol
    i'm like that too, feral. but even if it's not a particularly depressing movie, if it's anything other than a comedy, i have to check that i'm feeling great about life, otherwise i go zombie
    Piggy

saucyvegan

Oh yeah I saw that one Tabs....I liked it tho!

VeganJohn

Not a film as such, but I was watching a music channel last night when a Morrisey video came on that I had not seen before (probably from the late 80s). I can't remember the name of the song and I only switched on part way through, but the video depicted Morrisey handing out anti-vivisection leaflets to some teenagers and showed them entering an 'Animal research laboratory' and apparently letting rabbits out of their cages.

Geoff

Quote Roxy
    I never said you were stupid.
    I never said you said I was stupid.

I was going to say Charlotte's Web - there's an animated film, my school played it to us when I was 8.

There's K Pax where the "alien" will only eat fruit.
    There's the Time Machine where the baddies are meat eaters (human meat in fact) and the goodies are vegetarian.

Not so much AR, but sure to be appreciated by any animal lover:

Fly Away Home

Russ

http://www.themeatrix.com/

Animated short movie

can't type more due to cat on knee rubbing head into desk

Russ

Wait, I just watched part 2, it promotes eating dairy from independent farms. Forget it.