Thread: Anyone from Vancouver Island?

Default Anyone from Vancouver Island?

Looking for some local vegans!

People seriously think I am "out there" when it comes to my choices and ideas about veganism.....I'd love to know there is others from BC at least!

But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Default Re: Anyone from Vancouver Island?

Hey, I'm in Victoria (moved out here last April from the East).

I don't know any other vegans either, not even back East! But people are definitely nicer here about it than in Ontario- there I never said the word vegan because people would roll their eyes and think I was either just picky or that I thought I was better than everyone else (I still don't get that but it was a common thought people had), so I would just say I was allergic to eggs and milk.

See, the avatar is a UVic bunny!!

Hi Rach and Want2BVegan! I'm from Victoria too! (originally from Ontario). I'm a UVic student, but I'm living in Hawaii at the moment for a work term. Foxytina is also in Victoria. I didn't know there were so many vegans where I live! We should all get together and have a vegan potluck (but not until I get back in May )

P.S. Rach I LOVE the UVic bunnies, they're everywhere and they're SO CUTE! And not shy in the slightest!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Hey,
    We should definitely all get together and have a potluck . Wow, Hawaii, that must be nice, especially from Ontario (they're in the -20's right now!!).

And the bunnies are everywhere - I was driving on the Pat Bay hwy and there was a small patch of grass on the side and I look over and 3 bunnies are just sitting there, grazing

Awwww . I love sitting at the fountain at UVic and watching the rabbits hanging about, and the ducks swimming. And the seagulls pretending to be ducks

Uvic bunnies!

I always used to see bunnies near Vic General Hospital...so cute!
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Damn, I'm all the way up in Nanaimo. I'll be in Victoria soon, I hope.

I've still never been to Nanaimo. My poor student's budget hasn't allowed me to do ANY travelling around the island (I won't bother to point out the irony of my living in Hawaii at the moment )

Quote Yoggy
    I've still never been to Nanaimo. My poor student's budget hasn't allowed me to do ANY travelling around the island (I won't bother to point out the irony of my living in Hawaii at the moment )
    Hahaha!
    I love it.
    "There were no slaughterhouses in the Garden of Eden." - Unknown

MySpace&Blogger - I love visitors

I just started working for a company in Vancouver so I'll be there every once in a while, even though "I" will be based in Portland, Oregon.

I'll be at the Canadian Health Food Association Expo http://www.chfa.ca/ this weekend. It should rock!
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

i hate nanaimo. lol.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I don't have an opinion about Namaimo, I haven't been there since I was little. But I love B.C. in general. I look forward to many future visits including this weekend
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Alvin Carrier

Bodybuilder, I know you welcomed me to the site somewhere, thanks. Just learning to use this site. It's a jungle. I think there's a thread about English soccer somewhere, but I can't find it. Also one about vegetarians being hypocrites. Can't find that, either. . . . anyway, what's wrong with Nanaimo? I guess Diana Krall doesn't live there anymore. Is that good or bad?

Hey Alvin,

I don't know what's wrong with Nanaimo, I haven't been there since I was little. I've mostly been to Vanouver and Victoria.

I'll be in Vancouver again in a few days and I'm excited about that.

Are you in Vancouver too?
    Robert Cheeke

alvin carrier, i dislike nanaimo. i grew up there and lived there for 19 years. its boring, theres not alot to do, theres only a couple of nightclubs, you cant go anywhere without running into someone you know, its filled with people who do drugs, etc.

it was okay while i lived there, but now that ive moved to victoria i see how much more there is to do here and how much bigger it is and how many more opportunities there are. i thought nanaimo was great whilst living there, but i dont anymore. i guess victoria has opened my eyes.

i dont have anything against nanaimo, i just dont personally like it. so no offence to anyone who DOES like it. im sure its different for everyone, and alot of people love it, but i wouldnt move back there.

it does have some nice sightseeing stuff i suppose.

diana krall, i think shes great. my librarian in elementary school was her mom.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Wow, only a week and a half until I'm back in Victoria! I was getting tired of that city when I left 4 months ago, but now I'm excited to be going back. Not too excited about having summer courses though

Yes I have to agree that Nanaimo definitely has it's dark side, but I sure do enjoy the community radio station http://chly.ca

Thumbs up Re: Anyone from Vancouver Island?

I was born in White Rock, BC but i've lived in California since I was about two years old. All of my family still lives in WA and BC and I used to spend all of my summers in Nanaimo (my family owns a couple houses on Protection Island.) Nanaimo is completely amazing to me. Yes it doesn't have much in the way of nightclubs but people usually grow out of the club scene in their 20's. But how could you hate Nanaimo...just look at Mt. Benson or look out over the harbor and see Newcastle and Protection. It's spectacularly beautiful. And there are amazingly kind people who live there (compared to California [no one says "hello" here]). And there is even a vegan cookie company based out of Protection Island. (not sure if they are still in business.) Maybe all of the Mid-Islanders should get together in '08 for a vegan barbeque. I have access to a couple properties on Protection and it would be amazing to meet some Canadian vegans.

Vegan in Victoria.

^ i am moving to victoria in october!

John & I have thought about moving to the island in the future. We'd love to get out of the city.

I was always kind of under the impression that the west coast (BC, anyway) was more "out there" in terms of being accepting/vegan-friendly/etc. True or false?
    The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.

Bump

I am in Victoria. Who else is?

What a bummer, all the active users of this thread are no longer