Thread: Nutritional Analysis:How Do YOU Measure UP?

ConsciousCuisine

Default Nutritional Analysis:How Do YOU Measure UP?

I am starting this thread for people to discuss thier basic nutritional needs and how to meet them. There are many online sources such as "Fit Day" that can assess your foods eaten and break down the nutrients into a profile. That being said, many do not contain the foods that vegans commonly eat and many also do not allow you to change the serving sizes etc. so make sure you are logging the actual foods (brands differ!) you eat when keeping track.

This is also a great place to discuss "Proud to Eat Healthy" ideas and balanced vegan meals. Feel free to share, ask questions or locate online resources, providing links to assist us all in being the healthiest we can be!

A healthy vegan is a smart vegan and a smart vegan will eat ensure the best nutrition possible to be all s/he can be!

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Nutritional Analysis:How Do YOU Measure UP?

Let's start with basic daily requirements. The average sized adult who is somewhat sedentary requires between 50-65 grams of usable protein daily. Anyone who is larger or smaller, more active or less active would need less or more accordingly.

ConsciousCuisine

Here are some basic *minimum* daily requirements for average, grown adults:

Vitamin A Men: 1000 mcg/Women: 800 mcg
    Vitamin D 5 - 10 mcg
    Vitamin E Men: 10 mg/Women: 8 mg
    Vitamin K Men: 70-80 mcg/Women: 60-65 mcg
    Vitamin C Men: 90 mg/Women: 75 mg
    Choline Men: 550 mg/Women: 425 mg
    Thiamin (B1) Men: 1.2 - 1.5 mg/Women: 1-1.1 mg
    Riboflavin (B2) Men: 1.3 mg/Women: 1.1 mg
    Niacin (B3) Men: 16 mg/Women: 14 mg
    Pantothenic Acid 5 mg
    Vitamin B6 1.3 - 1.7 mg
    Folic Acid/Folate 400 mcg
    Vitamin B12 2.4 mcg
    Biotin (30 mcg)
    Calcium 1000 - 1200 mg
    Chloride (750 mg)
    Magnesium Men: 400-420 mg/Women:310-320 mg
    Phosphorus 700 mg
    Potassium (2000 mg)
    Sodium (200 - 500 mg)
    Sulfur (100 mg)
    Boron (2 - 5 mg)
    Chromium 50 - 200 mcg
    Cobalt (a few mcg)
    Copper 1.5 - 3.0 mg
    Iodine 150 mcg
    Iron 10 - 15 mg
    Manganese 2.5 - 5.0 mg
    Molybdenum 75 - 250 mcg
    Selenium Men: 70 mcg/Women: 55 mcg
    Zinc Men: 15 mg/Women: 12 mg

Thumbs up Re: Nutritional Analysis:How Do YOU Measure UP?

This is cool CC!

Would you be able to post some "sample menus" for getting the best nutrients?

I know one question I have been meaning to post is, what is the best grainless thing to eat for breakfast or the best thing in general?

I would like to try cutting grains out and see if my skin improves (my mother has skin problems from grains and allthough I didn't think I had this, I seem to have the same symptoms.) Any ideas for a healthy grainless breakfast? I also have problems eating anything sweet in the morning, so it needs to be high protein/high fiber. Sugary things make me very ill in the morning. Fruit is OK, but something else needs to be with it. Also, I tend to burn through everything I eat in the AM and be hungry immediately, so high calorie would be good too.

Also, I am not opposed to eating traditionally non-breakfast items at breakfast time (infact, my fav breakfast is a sandwhich with tea or coffee). I like to have a lot of warm liquids in the morning.

I was thinking maybe tofu scramble with lots of veggies and nutritional yeast?

ConsciousCuisine

Here's an example of a good, nutritious day for the average vegan adult (not pregnant/not extremely active physically) who wants to get most of thier nutrition form whole foods: Keep in mind there is no 'perfect plan' for every body. This is just an outline of what meets many of the basic daily requirements for the most important nutrients often thought to be lacking in a VEGAN diet (B-12, calcium, protein,iron, omega 3's etc.)

1 cup oatmeal (cooked, made with 1 cup enriched soymilk) with 1T. ground flax, 1 T. chopped black walnuts and 1 cup berries mixed in

1 cup calcium-fortified orange juice

6 dried apricot halves with 3 Brazil nuts and 1 cup enriched rice milk, 1 T. cocoa powder and 1 T. agave nectar

2 cups mixed lettuces, 1 cup shredded beets, 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, 3 T. lemon juice and 1 tsp. tahini with 1 T. nutritional yeast, herbs and spices

1 cup black bean and corn soup (no oil added, with herbs, spices, onions and garlic)

1 sprouted whole wheat pita, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, 4 T. hummus (made with tahini and lemon but no olive oil)

1 cup whole wheat pasta with 1 cup marinara sauce (no oil added), 1/2 cup asparagus, 1/2 cup peas and 1/2 cup white beans with 1 T. nutritional yeast

1 cup steamed broccoli and 1 cup steamed kale (no oil added, with lemon, herbs, spices, onions and garlic) with 1 T. miso paste, 1 T. nutritional yeast and 1 T. sesame seeds

1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup lentils (no oil added, with herbs, spices, onions and garlic) and 1/2 cup canned tomatoes with 1 T. nutritional yeast

1 sublingual B-12 tablet

8 glasses of water

Seems like a lot of food when compared to what many eat, doesn't it? It's really not though, in terms of calories/fats!

Thanks Concious!

It does sounds like a lot, I think I would be OK up to the last part of 1 cup lentils and 1 cup brown rice. I may not have room for that after the pasta. : )

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Wildflower
    I know one question I have been meaning to post is, what is the best grainless thing to eat for breakfast or the best thing in general?
    Tofu scramble made with LOTS of veggies is a great choice! I like to have beans and stir-fry dishes for my first meal (high fiber/protein). I rarely eat 'breakfast' type foods in the AM. My goal is to start the day with veggies and beans/lentils (tofu or tempeh sometimes) so that I have a good foundation to go on for the rest of the day; It helps me eat better throughout the day as well!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote ConsciousCuisine

7 AM

1 cup oatmeal (cooked, made with 1 cup enriched soymilk) with 1T. ground flax, 1 T. chopped black walnuts and 1 cup berries mixed in

10 AM

6 dried apricot halves with 3 Brazil nuts and 1 cup enriched rice milk, 1 T. cocoa powder and 1 T. agave nectar

12 PM

2 cups mixed lettuces, 1 cup shredded beets, 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, 3 T. lemon juice and 1 tsp. tahini with 1 T. nutritional yeast, herbs and spices

1 cup black bean and corn soup (no oil added, with herbs, spices, onions and garlic)

3 PM

1 sprouted whole wheat pita, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, 4 T. hummus (made with tahini and lemon but no olive oil)

5 PM

1 cup whole wheat pasta with 1 cup marinara sauce (no oil added), 1/2 cup asparagus, 1/2 cup peas and 1/2 cup white beans with 1 T. nutritional yeast

1 cup steamed broccoli and 1 cup steamed kale (no oil added, with lemon, herbs, spices, onions and garlic) with 1 T. miso paste, 1 T. nutritional yeast and 1 T. sesame seeds

7 PM

1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup lentils (no oil added, with herbs, spices, onions and garlic) and 1/2 cup canned tomatoes with 1 T. nutritional yeast
    If you look at it as fueling yourself every few hours it works out nicely

Thanks!

I LOVE beans, they are so rich and creamy it is hard to imagine they are fat free. One thing I noticed in the past though, was that when monitoring my calories/weight, beans always seemed to make me gain weight. I know they are calorie dense, but I was measuring things out to just 1 serving.

I suppose it was probably something I was consuming with them, like a tortilla or rice...

Why no oil added, CC? I started adding oil (flax and olive) and my hair looks healthier and same with my skin.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    Why no oil added, CC? I started adding oil (flax and olive) and my hair looks healthier and same with my skin.
    That's great! Glad that is working for you Here's my reasoning: What I have posted is a basic guideline, just to show how much food needs to be eaten in order to meet minimum daily requirements for vegan nutrition, meeting the basic needs without excess supplmentation and while staying within caloric limits. The nuts, tahini, sesame seeds and ground flax as well as whole grains, beans etc. provide more than ample oils for the day. As it stands, this day already gets more that 10% of its calories from fat. It is not necessary in most cases for average, healthy adults to add oils to thier diets...Eating oils has been shown to cause hormonal disturbances in some, food cravings and weight gain in others and the leading vegan Doctors discourage adding *any* oils to the diet. This day already has a LOT more oils/fats than the leading vegan Doctors suggest

That being said, I do add oils to foods for flavor, health and balance (children and teens and very athletic people or those who need to gain/maintain weight can benefit from such calorically-dense foods).

Oh, that's really interesting!

So, CC, I'm 148lbs and 5'2 and a half. I'm not very active at the moment. I used to be 186lbs once a upon a time but lost some weight.

ConsciousCuisine

Without knowing exact amounts and your activity level, Tigerlilly, Based on what I see for February 16, I'd say you need "Beans and Greens"

Seriously though a few servings each of kale, broccoli, lentils, black beans etc. are all your day needed to round it out nutritionally and perhaps a B-12 and a calcium-magnesium/zinc/D supplement. Good job on getting some iron-rich foods in your day!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    So, CC, I'm 148lbs and 5'2 and a half. I'm not very active at the moment. I used to be 186lbs once a upon a time but lost some weight.
    I bet you are naturally muscular and that your current weight is a good one for you but I have to say weight-bearing exercise is important for bone density and to keep metabolism active and cardiovascular exercise is needed for health I have noticed you eat a healthier diet than many of the teens here!

Oh yeah. I forgot about the greens. I should eat more.

I'm not naturally muscular, I'm naturally curvy though. I am Middle Eastern, and it seems a lot of Middle Eastern women are curvy.

ConsciousCuisine

What do you think holds the curve in place? (Muscle) Anyway for someone to look as fit and healthy as you do at your height/weight, there has to be a good deal of muscle mass as a foundation (I am not talking visible, bulging muscles here, I am talking core muscles).

CC Can I be next?? I have some questions and would like to be analyzed!! (if you don't mind of course )
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Wow. Thanks for starting this thread.

I am in desperate need to sort my diet out. I have been eating terribly for a while now, and am feeling the effects. I know I am iron deficient and need to be eating better, and have started to make more effort on the nutrition front.

This should help. Thanks, CC.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Want2BVegan
    CC Can I be next?? I have some questions and would like to be analyzed!! (if you don't mind of course )
    Go for it and you're welcome, Spud Addict! Please keep at your efforts to improve your health!

Thanks, I will. I have just invested in a juicer to keep at work, so I can have lovely vegetable and fruit juices to get all my nutrients when I can't stop to eat a proper meal.

Thanks so much CC

First I am 5'4 and around 135-140 (varies day-to-day) I have lost 20 pounds since March 2005 since going veggie then vegan. I hate to admit this, but I am very unfit. I have a LOT of fat on my body, my belly is quite big....anyways... I don't exercise hardly at all (which I want to change). I'm not any "type" of body shape - I'm in the middle of apple and pear I guess.....most of my fat is in the middle and my upper arms/thighs.

Here's a typical day:

Breakfast - 2-3 fruits, a coffee with a tblsp of sugar and soy creamer. I'm bad on weekends - usually have spelt toast with toffutti cream cheese - today I had 4 peices of it!

Snack - a peice fruit usually, sometimes a muffin

Lunch - varies but usually a ww wrap with fat free refried beans, others beans, veggies and rice or a huge salad with swiss chard, spinach, peppers, mushrooms and pumpkin seeds with a vinagerette dressing.

Snack - (this is where it gets bad) potato chips or corn tortilla chips, or some leftover dinner, or chocolate, usually something salty or sweet and not healthy!

Dinner - beans and rice or pasta in tomato sauce/tomato soup or tofu stirfry with veggies or Veggie burgers and baked oven fries.

Snack - Again something bad - chocolate, chips, wine, crackers....always craving junk foods at this time

Ugh I know I need help and more planning.....I feel fat and am out of shape. I know I need to exercise. Thankfully we are getting a total body gym set-up next week, but I need cardio....

Thanks so much CC

Oh - I'm not allergic to any foods, the only ones I don't like are melons (except watermelons) I don't really know how to cook as well .....but am very open to learning! I'm so bad at drinking water to.
    Last edited by Want2BVegan; Feb 19th, 2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

ConsciousCuisine

I think you crave sugary, starchy foods because your system is out of balance. Have you had any candida issues? If I were you, I would cut out sugars, refined starches and put in a good source of protein first thing in the morning! If you desire to have only fruit in the morning, add in a snack of nuts or seeds. You also need more veggies and beans/legumes! Kale, chard, broccoli, lentils, black beans, pinto beans etc. How about having a sweet potato with almond butter or tahini for a snack instead of the usual processed foods? I'll suggest more later; I need to go feel my Daughter

Thanks CC, great suggestions! I have no idea if I have any candida issues....how could I find that out?

What about a fruit smoothie in the morning with ground flax seed? What that be ok? I could use soy milk for a bit of protein or some soy protein powder....

At 1st snack I could have nuts and seeds too.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

I tend to crave certain things during certain times of day, and feel strongly turned off to certain foods based on what time of day it is. I have no idea why.

When I first get up, I can't stand to have anything to eat or drink except coffee. Sometimes I want it black, or with Silk soy coffee creamer, or with Silk soy coffee creamer plus chocolate . I tried drinking water one morning, and at the first swallow I thought I would puke! The idea of food makes me feel yucky, too -- I usually have to wait anywhere between 1 to 3 hours before I can eat.

-I only want breads/crackers/oatmeal when I first eat, and it must be dry (without fruit or soymilk). And not the refined flours...I can't stand the thought of it yet at this time of day!
    -Next I crave veggies with pasta/rice/tortilla/pita.
    -Later I strongly desire seeds (salty and crunchy )and fruit (fresh, juice, and/or dried).
    -In the evening, I LOVE proteins and veggies, sometimes with barley.
    -I usually like to end my day with a cup of hot tea, after the kids are in bed and everything is finally peaceful and quiet! Once in a while I like to eat an orange with the tea (but for some reason, it can only be an orange).

I usually get a good work-out in, and I'm a freak about wanting to do it in the morning (after coffee, but before I can stand the thought of food yet). During the workout is when I start drinking water through the day. I typically do weights 3Xs week plus something aerobic 5Xs week (for at least 45 minutes). My build is the more curvy/muscular. I'm almost 5'5".

I do get a crazy sweet tooth sometimes. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is. I've noticed this happens more when I'm more stressed out. Some kind of weird relationship for me between sweets and distress.

I have a bad problem with eating too much one day, then hardly enough the next, and back'n forth. I don't plan it that way - I just get so busy I can forget to eat some days, 'til the kids are home from school and I fix their dinner. I'm usually grinding the crap outta my teeth by then, too. ?

I'm all willing to experiment for a better plan. I would like to lose about 20+ pounds. (I know at least one culprit is the sweet tooth.)

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Here's an example of a good, nutritious day for the average vegan adult (not pregnant/not extremely active physically) who wants to get most of thier nutrition form whole foods:

1 sublingual B-12 tablet

8 glasses of water

Seems like a lot of food when compared to what many eat, doesn't it? It's really not though, in terms of calories/fats!
    PS: I'm going to try this exact meal plan some day. Minus the orange juice, as I'm allergic.

This thread is such a good idea. Rather than just posting what you ate actually being able to talk about what constitutes a healthy diet is really valuable.

Tigerlily if you can't have orange juice I'm sure there's something else you could have instead. Is it all citrus or just oranges that you can't have? Maybe you could pick an actual date for doing the one-day plan that CC posted and have that as a goal? Just an idea.

Diana
    akaredarcher
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Eating oils has been shown to cause hormonal disturbances in some
    Conscious, do you have any information about peri-oral dermatitis? I have been suffering from this for about 5 years and seen numerous Dr's, etc with no help. I even took antibitoics (standard treatment) for a VERY long time and it did not help. i am asking in response to this as some feel peri-oral dermatitis is caused from hormonal imbalance...

I am in desperate need of help on this, so any advice, diet info, etc you have is very much appreciated.

Conscious Cousine, what do you think about my menu today?

Breakfast - Coffe with Silk Creamer. 2 hempseed waffles with Earth Balance.

Lunch - Eating out : Tofu scramble with "bacon", salad, toast, and hash browns. Water and 1 soy latte.

Snacks throughout the day - 3 tangerines, strawberries and blueberries.

Dinner - Brown rice pasta. Tomato sauce with ground "meat" onion, kalamata olives, mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots. Water.

Supplements - B12, fortified soymilk and hempseed oil.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Today, I discussed nutrition with some vegans I met in a restaurant, and I was surprised to learn that none of them take any kind of supplements, not even extra omega- 3's. And B-12, what is that?? One of them told me she does not like fruit or vegetables, and can't be bothered to cook. She lives on frozen ready made meals and white bread. This experience made me worried about vegan's health in general...Don't they do any research? Don't they go on forums and read books? The same woman told me she just had pneumonia and almost died. It had started with bad bronchitis, which escalated to pneunomnia because she refused to take medication. Wow... We don't have to be popping pills all day, but hearing things like this was plain scary.

Here are some basic *minimum* daily requirements for average, grown adults:
    Just a comment: I'm not sure if people with a healthy lifestyle really need to pay too much attention to standard values for meat eaters with all kinds of lifestyles. It's important to get the nutrients we need, but it's also easy to get hysterical/hypochondrical about them. As an example, to take sublingual B12 daily, nutritional yeast (4 times?)daily, enriched soy milk daily, enriched rice milk daily, calcium fortified orange juice daily etc seems like an exaggeration to me. I've never taken any of these things, and I'm in very good shape... also according to my blood tests. We just don't need all these fortifications/supplements if we eat a balanced, healthy diet.

The lists of minimum requirements/RDAs are based on that these intakes should work for people with an average life style, and if you live differently (if you ie. not consume all the nutrient-killers like tobacco etc), you just don't always need the amounts prescribed for 'Average Joe'. My point is that there isn't and can't be, a static list of minum daily intake that is valid for all people, because we all have different lifestyles and habits.

CC, do you suggest that we need both 2.4 mcg B12 AND cobalt daily? B12 contains cobalt, and acording to several sources, the only way to get cobalt for humans is to get it from B12. Others have different views, and I've been thinking that maybe a main reason we need B12 is that we actually need cobalt, and that our need for B12 would be strongly reduced or eliminated if we would get enough cobalt in other ways than via B12. I don't want this to become another B12 thread, but out of sheer curiosity I'd like to hear what your sources say about this topic - you already know I'm a B12 fanatic .

Quote kriz
    She lives on frozen ready made meals and white bread. This experience made me worried about vegan's health in general...
    In my experience, vegans are normally a lot more well-informed about nutrition than non-vegans. Maybe vegans just come in as many shapes and colors as meat eaters, a LOT of them know nothing about nutrition at all. It's so obvious that it's important for the body (and mind) what we put into it, and I'm constantly surprised (which in a way is an oxymoron, I know ) that so many people are ignorant about it.

Quote akaredarcher
    T

Tigerlily if you can't have orange juice I'm sure there's something else you could have instead. Is it all citrus or just oranges that you can't have? Maybe you could pick an actual date for doing the one-day plan that CC posted and have that as a goal? Just an idea.

Diana
    akaredarcher
    It's all citrus, but orange juice is the worst (I can have some lemon juice in a salad but only like a tablespoon or so). I get headaches *plus* horrible sinus pain all over my head (around my eyes, jaw line, nose, gums, etc).

Can you have tomatoe juice...that has C.

Oh, I know where to get my Vitamin C. ^_^ I was just saying if I wanted to follow CC's plan, I'll just omit the orange juice.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    Oh, I know where to get my Vitamin C. ^_^ I was just saying if I wanted to follow CC's plan, I'll just omit the orange juice.
    And then supplement with calcium elsewhere (but you already know that ).

Yep, I'd probably just make that a soy milk or rice milk. And have an extra fruit in the day.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Korn
    Just a comment: I'm not sure if people with a healthy lifestyle really need to pay too much attention to standard values for meat eaters with all kinds of lifestyles. It's important to get the nutrients we need, but it's also easy to get hysterical/hypochondrical about them. As an example, to take sublingual B12 daily, nutritional yeast (4 times?)daily, enriched soy milk daily, enriched rice milk daily, calcium fortified orange juice daily etc seems like an exaggeration to me. I've never taken any of these things, and I'm in very good shape... also according to my blood tests. We just don't need all these fortifications/supplements if we eat a balanced, healthy diet.

That's great, Korn! Glad you are healthy! I am the first to suggest that NO ONE get hysterical about ANYTHING, least of all food/nutrition

Like you, I also don't over-supplement and if you read my food logs, you'll see that I don't eat like the plan I outlined everyday (with fortified milks etc.).

I put this up as a GUIDE to show what meets standard, universally respected nutritional requirements because, you see, I am not only an 'alternative' practitioner but I work in the traditional world as well and in order to maintain credibility, I *have* to use the guidelines set out by the powers that be when suggesting plans. Not only that, but these guidelines are based on what VEGAN Doctors have personally told me and on what I have gleaned from extensive study of thier writings and talks. The foods and supplements listed are not only for nutritional value but for variety and flavor as well. One could very well drink powdered drinks (whole food ones even) and meet the basic requirements but I don't ignore the pleasurable aspects of eating, myself and so suggest a variety of foods.

As far as this plan is concerned, the B-12 in SMALL amounts of nutritional yeast don't meet the basic requirements for B-12 alone (some don't have *any* B-12 at all); yeast, rice and soy milks offer other valuable things that contribute to one's diet/life (assorted vitamins, calcium, protein, pleasure) and as you know, you would be hard-pressed to overdose on B-12. Also, usually B-12 in these foods is of the type (cyanocobalamin) that isn't as easily absorbed (and some feel they are toxic, but that's another thread ) as the supplements I have suggested to others on this board before (such as Jarrow sublingual Methylcobalamin-Methyl B12) so, to be safe, and because these other foods offer more than just small amounts of B-12, I suggest the sublingual supplement in addition to the foods.

Quote Korn
    The lists of minimum requirements/RDAs are based on that these intakes should work for people with an average life style, and if you live differently (if you ie. not consume all the nutrient-killers like tobacco etc), you just don't always need the amounts prescribed for 'Average Joe'. My point is that there isn't and can't be, a static list of minum daily intake that is valid for all people, because we all have different lifestyles and habits.
    Actually the basic RDS's were not developed taking in to account tobacco use etc. and I thought I made it very clear that this wasn't a "one size fits all people, PERIOD" guideline. I only posted the meal plan because others indicated it would be helpful. I'll go back and post more specific disclaimers.

All I can say is if I had a board such as VF I would be *thrilled* that a vegan nutritionist took it upon herself to dedicate as much time and energy as I do towards this board, free of charge. Sometimes it feels like you don't care for me or my input at all, Korn, like you may even resent my helpfulness here- or are you just playing 'Devil's Advocate' or are you worried about liability issues? I hope that it's just to show an opposing view or it's simply an issue of a language barrier, or a harmless personality difference because I know that I have been thanked by *scores* of VF members, past and present for the time, energy and care I freely give to them (which I charge upwards of $60 and hour for in my non-internet-forum life) and I enjoy being of service to vegans here.

I've learned a lot from you, CC Thanks.

The uninformed vegans in the restaurant yesterday, would have benefited greatly from Vegan Forum. Maybe I wouldn't have paid attention to nutrition at all eitherl if I didn't know you guys.

Thumbs up Re: Nutritional Analysis:How Do YOU Measure UP?

I appreciate you being here very much CC, and I try to be sensitive to the fact that you ARE giving your services for free. I think if we lived closer and could afford it, everyone would love to be able to compensate you appropriately! I know I would be the first in line for a session, and I will definately purchase your cookbook when it is available.

You are a wonderful and caring person who I very much respect and appreciate.

Thanks!

HI CC! ....may I ask?...

I'm trying to get some protein into the kids' breakfast now -- I noticed you said it makes for a good nutritional foundation for the day.

I saw an article framed on a shelf in some healthfood store about Wheatgrass. One of the many things it mentioned as a benefit is helping a person to focus throughout the day if used in the morning...

1.What do you think about Wheatgrass?

2.Is this good for breakfast??
    This morning I made the kids a smoothie:
    -Bananas
    -Strawberries
    -Ice and water
    -Soy protein powder, vanilla
    -Wheatgrass

The kids loved it, but Luke wouldn't touch it because he could see the itty-bitty stawberry seeds. He's still freaked out from the peanut allergy attack. He's only eating veggies, hummus, cereal, and a banana if he sees it peeled. He will drink water, soy milk, orange juice, apple juice...

3.Do I need to give Luke some kind of supplement 'til he feels more secure about eating, or is he getting enough nutrition?

great idea for a thread cc!

about your naturally muscular post, ive never wanted to be at a really low weight, because ive always been muscular and have lots of bone, so i think alot of my weight is that. if i weighed in the 130's i would probably look alot less than that. i weigh around 140-145 (depending on various days, etc.) and am 5'1. i feel healthy, i dont feel overweight or anything (regardless of what the charts/doctors say *rolls eyes*) so im happy about that.

your plan sounds great, although it does sound like alot of food. i dont know if my tummy would hold all of that thanks for your posts
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Wildflower
    I appreciate you being here very much CC, and I try to be sensitive to the fact that you ARE giving your services for free. I think if we lived closer and could afford it, everyone would love to be able to compensate you appropriately! I know I would be the first in line for a session, and I will definately purchase your cookbook when it is available.

You are a wonderful and caring person who I very much respect and appreciate.

Thanks!
    I didn't know that you're writing a cookbook! When will it be coming out? That's so exciting! I will definately buy it!

Quote foxytina_69
    great idea for a thread cc!

about your naturally muscular post, ive never wanted to be at a really low weight, because ive always been muscular and have lots of bone, so i think alot of my weight is that. if i weighed in the 130's i would probably look alot less than that. i weigh around 140-145 (depending on various days, etc.) and am 5'1. i feel healthy, i dont feel overweight or anything (regardless of what the charts/doctors say *rolls eyes*) so im happy about that.

your plan sounds great, although it does sound like alot of food. i dont know if my tummy would hold all of that thanks for your posts
    That's very true with me. I weight almost 150lbs but whenever I tell someone that, this is the expression on their face----> . They all say I look to be 130.

a didgeridoo

Just wanted to echo Wildflower’s and Veggiegirl3’s comments, CC. HAVE you got a cookbook coming out soon? Put me down for a copy!!

I absolutely want to buy a copy, too!

CC, i REALLY appreciate this thread. For a while now ive been wanting to ask some questions, kinda despairing over my diet,
    some background... Im a 30 year old female with a thyroid/pituitary dysfuction - for this health problem i take thyroxine in the mornings. It has to be taken at least 2 hours away from anything with calcium in it. I also have a magnesium deficiency. On and off i also have low blood iron stores (my blood count is fine, just the iron stores that are a problem).
    I have been advised by thyroid doctors that i should not consume soya - at least not in large amounts, so i usually only have 1 portion a day (usually in the form of soya milk in tea). They have also advised that i do not eat many goitrogenic foods such as brocoli, kale etc - though i can have some, just not raw. Nor millet.
    I am allergic to nuts and oranges. My body also cannot tolerate bananas. To a lesser extent (ie less physical reactions, though still some), my body does not tolerate very well: mushrooms, onions, yeast, wheat, bell peppers, leeks,tomatoes, cucumbers
    In addition to this potatoes make me feel abnormally bloated.
    In short, i am finding it a nightmare trying to eat/find healthy foods that sustain me, and end up in a viscious cycle, of trying to avoid the above foods, then giving up because i cant figure out what i can eat, and eating those foods anyway.
    I have cravings for protein.
    I want to get all my nutirents, (or at least an improvement) so any advice appreciated. What would be fab is to have a few actual meal ideas that i could rotate? as an example of what i ate yesterday which i am sure all will agree is appauling, in the morning i had a cup of coffee, snack 3 carrots, lunch bought a pate with tomato/cucumber sandwich (all foods i dont tolerate well, but was only vegan sandwich available, and i was really hungry, and boy did it taste good!), plus small bar chocolate, snack packet of crisps, evening beans on toast, . (water/tea in between during day)
    ps: there are just 2 foods that i can think of that i dont like the taste of - beetroot and vinegar, as much as ive tried to like them, they always make me gag.

Hi Felix -- that must be so hard!

Peanuts are considered legumes, and almonds are part of the peach family -- can you have those?

Can you have seeds? Maybe do some searches on the nutritional value of seeds and some ideas of different ways to incorporate them into your diet. You can get a lot of protein and other great stuff from them. Here's one of many: http://www.bigy.com/content/haba_hea...nutr_seeds.php

My understanding is that beans and lentils are great sources of protein also.

It must be hard to not be able to have wheat! I read an article recently that Wheatgrass is very, very beneficial and that folks allergic to wheat can have wheatgrass because it hasn't grown into that particular stage yet. Also, can you have sprouted breads?

(I'm not a nutritionist and do not know nearly as much as CC!)