Thread: What does the D mean?

Question What does the D mean?

I've found that on some food packaging there's a "D"...not circled, just a D, like the K for kosher. Does this D mean that there's dairy in it or does it mean it's diabetic friendly, or what? I'm really confused. Thank you!
    Think occasionally of the suffering in which you spare yourself the sight. -Albert Schweitzer

Default Re: What does the D mean?

If it is kosher, the D means Kosher for dairy.

what is the product?

on edit - that doesn't always mean there is dairy in the product, it has to do with the handling and manufacturing of the product as well.

D — Dairy
    DE — Dairy Equipment (no actual dairy in ingredients, hence it can be eaten after a meat meal, but not together with meat)
    P — Passover; Kosher for all year including Passover (Note: “P” NEVER designates pareve)

Pareve — Non-dairy and non-meat
    Chalav Yisrael — Kosher supervised milk used in ingredients
    Pas Yisrael — Jewish baked goods
    Yashan — Not from current grain crop

non-dairy and non-meat can sometimes have gelatin. it is the discrection of the rabbi to determine how much of the meat/dairy/animal is still left in the finished product. most gelatin containing candies, etc still get pareve certification, but I believe all kosher certified plain gelatin is plant based.

FR

Quote Wildflower
    D — Dairy
    DE — Dairy Equipment (no actual dairy in ingredients, hence it can be eaten after a meat meal, but not together with meat)
    P — Passover; Kosher for all year including Passover (Note: “P” NEVER designates pareve)

Pareve — Non-dairy and non-meat
    Chalav Yisrael — Kosher supervised milk used in ingredients
    Pas Yisrael — Jewish baked goods
    Yashan — Not from current grain crop

non-dairy and non-meat can sometimes have gelatin. it is the discrection of the rabbi to determine how much of the meat/dairy/animal is still left in the finished product. most gelatin containing candies, etc still get pareve certification, but I believe all kosher certified plain gelatin is plant based.
    Sometimes companies use a D even though the product contains no dairy. Clif Bars for example have a D on them when in fact they are dairy free and should have a DE on them instead.

Pareve is a strange labeling since it can contain some products of animal origin, like hen eggs, and sea animals.

As always, look over the ingredients before assuming that Jewish labeling makes a product animal free.

Yeah, I always just read the ingredients. I think Canada has slightly different labelling laws too for kosher but we get a lot of US products--so it's all mixed up here.
    Peace, love, and happiness.