Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan ice cream?

Default Re: Tofutti in the UK

They have it in a shop in Brighton in the UK but it's the only place I've seen it here and now I'm addicted they seem to be reducing their stocks!

i really didn't like the vanilla ice cream in the Soy Delicious choc ices i tried (they sell them in Holland & Barrett). it's put me off trying the other flavours.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Don't be put off!! You just had plain vanilla--you need to try a REAL flavor! I LOVE Peanut Butter ZigZag, Cherry Nirvana, Mint Chocolate Chip---try one of those!

Default Re: Vegan ice cream?

its not ice cream i'm interested in here, more where can i find the cones for to pile my ice cream in?? anyone particularly in the UK know of any

Default Re: vegan ice cream

Quote Veganbear
    Don't be put off!! You just had plain vanilla--you need to try a REAL flavor! I LOVE Peanut Butter ZigZag, Cherry Nirvana, Mint Chocolate Chip---try one of those!
    those flavours aren't easy to get hold of in the UK, if at all. i've heard the mint flavour can be found in a shop near me but i've never seen it there myself. ice cream imported from the US is so expensive here.

cedar, aren't normal ice cream cones vegan? i haven't looked but i'm thinking there must be some brands that are suitable. have you tried supermarkets, Holland & Barrett etc?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

yes i have gorilla, both the cheapo or the more expensive 'askeys' waffle cone seem to have milk in them.

never seen them in h&b.

that's annoying! yet another product that i doubt actually really needs to have milk in it. i have a feeling H&B may sell some sort of gluten/dairy-free ones or something, sorry very vague i know! i'm going shopping tomorrow so i may have to see if there is such a thing as a vegan ice cream cone.

Vegan looking cones are out there in supermarkets, can't remember any brands at the moment thou. Askeys *used* (about 6 years ago) to sell decent waffle cones that only contained vegan ingredients, but they have milk products in now.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I'm craving ice cream now.

Maybe when/if I go to the eye glasses shop, I'll pop in to the supermarket too. I love So Delicious fudge bars. You can't even taste the soy in them.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote cedarblue
    its not ice cream i'm interested in here, more where can i find the cones for to pile my ice cream in?? anyone particularly in the UK know of any
    Hello Cedarblue...I've looked on the internet for you and found this website www.goodnessdirect.co.uk. They advertise Barkat Ice Cream Cones and say they are Dairy/Gluten/Wheat free. Bit costly though at £3.95 for 24! Hope that helps. x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

thanks poppy, although i found 'carousel continental style cornets' (10 premium waffle cones) in asda yesterday, i think they were about £1.18.
    they'll do!!

Oh that's good then. I'm going to try those myself Cedarblue, thanks x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

Default vegan icecream

what is your favorite brand or flavor? and what does it taste like? thanks
    Last edited by flutterby; Dec 29th, 2006 at 10:32 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: vegan icecream

Tofutti - Butter Pecan
    It tastes like butterscotch and the pecans taste like they've been roasted...
    It's so delicious!
    EDIT: Oh, and tofutti has the best texture out of all the brands I've tried. Very light and fluffy.

satirecafe

Default Re: vegan icecream

O'Soy chocolate velvet flavor - it's amazing!! it tastes kind of like chocolate truffles

I've been hooked on Soy Delicious Butter Pecan and it's so yummy!!! Got it at Whole Foods...

Quote veganesquire View Post
    My favorite is probably Tofutti! They also have ice cream sandwiches called Tofutti Cuties and choclate covered vanilla ice cream on a stick called Hip Hip Hooray.

Other good ones are Soy Dream and Soy Delicious. There is a rice-based one, called Rice Dream, which I don't really like - I find it has an aftertaste.
    OH MY GOODNESS I tried the Tofutti Cuties ice cream sanwich last night and nearly died it was sooooo yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently Nestles 102 Dalmations ice cream is vegan so that must taste rather nice.
    But, Swedice Glace Ice cream is the best! It comes in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate.. I got mine from Tesco but they sell it at health stores too!

i love the tofutti icecream. here in denmark you can get chocolate, vanilla, mocca (my fav) and strawberry. then you can get a mix of, i think it is, strawberry, vanilla and pear? never tried that one, though.
    i like the cones too, and the cuties. haven't seen that since summertime, but then they'll have it back soon i looove icecream.

we also have VERY nice icecream shop here, which has ordinary dairybased icecream, and ten they have THE BEST vegan sorbets i've ever tasted. and they have all kinds of flavours; berries, elderflower, apple, lemon, lime, orange and whatever. it's soooo good.

Quote Leanne View Post
    But, Swedish Glace Ice cream is the best! It comes in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate.. !
    And raspberry and coffee/mocha.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I used to like Tofutti coffee marshmallow but it was discontinued a few years back.

There is such a choice of fab vegan ice cream in the States, it puts our small selection to shame. For a while I could get Soy Delicious chocolate madness (or something like that) in Brighton but they don't have it anymore.

I loved the Vanilla B-Nice ice cream I tried at the christmas without cruelty fayre. It's made out of rice too, so if you avoid soy or reduce the amount in your diet it's great!

oooooh i love the tofutti vanilla fudge one!

i wish i could find soy ice cream in germany x_x

At the risk of being told off again

Quote Leanne View Post
    Apparently Nestles 102 Dalmations ice cream is vegan so that must taste rather nice.
    For reasons found in the following link, quite a few people around here boycott nestle, irrelevant of products that may be vegan made by them.

Quote Smoothie
    i love the tofutti icecream
    I understand the level to which vegans care about manufacturing techniques varies greatly and is up to the individual, however I should point to anyone reading that Tofutti themselves have admitted several times (including in a letter posted to this forum) that their non-organic products may use sugar processed with bone char.

I for one won't tell you off. It's useful and important information.

I wish we had nicer vegan ice cream here. I guess I'll have to make my own.

We only really have Swedish Glace. I want fancy ice cream!!

Well we have Toffuti but I don't eat that because of the bones.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

oh. but it's not the actual tofutti we have here, apparantly, its something called tofu-line, which should be vegan.
    anyway, i just forgot the name, as they're kind of similar.

i didn't know about the bone char sigh

I'm not convinced about the bone char - I heard the UK made stuff is okay.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I'm not convinced about the bone char - I heard the UK made stuff is okay.
    Where from? This was their reply to me in August:

This would be true of
    all our products sold anywhere that do not list organic sugar as an
    ingredient, in which case they would be certain not to have passed
    through animal bone char. We cannot guarantee it with all our other
    products.

I'd be very interested if this info has since changed

Quote paradoxsund View Post
    i didn't know about the bone char sigh
    Neither did I for 6 years. Unfortunately there's noone out there to slap the wrists of a company that labels products as vegan that are (in the view of a lot of people, which could debatebly be the majority of), not vegan, due to no proper definition of the word. Personally I think that Tofutti are purposely trying to gain extra customers through misinformation. Hence I boycott them - including their organic products.

Rasberry Swedish Glace, just tried it tonight. Mmmmmmm Although mango sorbet is just as good if i cant et my hands on any Swedish Glace

I'm not normally a fan of sorbets but Waitrose have an amazing cherry sorbet - sorry if I've mentioned it before.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Shame I haven't got an Ice Cream maker.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I want to buy an ice cream maker now!! I just read the a few reviews of this book on Amazon.ca and now I want the book and the ice cream maker

Quote Nicola.T View Post
    Rasberry Swedish Glace, just tried it tonight. Mmmmmmm Although mango sorbet is just as good if i cant et my hands on any Swedish Glace

Rasberry is to die for, it's my favourite flavour! Never tried sorbet though, so will give that a go!
    --
    Fluerpot xx

Slightly off-topic but do you know any good vegan ice cream toppings? Like whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and sprinkles?

I've found a french firm which make vegan ice creams
    this is www.lesojami.com

Quote audrey731 View Post
    Slightly off-topic but do you know any good vegan ice cream toppings? Like whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and sprinkles?
    I always make my own topping using a bar of dark chocolate, melted with some sweetened soya milk and just a touch of golden syrup. It's lovely and gooey and chocolately... Icecream just isn't the same without it.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

You don't need an ice cream maker to make great ice cream.

Just pour your mix into a container and freeze it. Then, when it starts to form ice crystals mix it all up again with a fork and refreeze... repeat this three or four times and then freeze completely. Temper to serve.

Granted, you can't just leave it to itself .. . you have to keep breaking it up with a fork, but if you can't afford an ice cream maker, or just cant wait to try a recipe it works fine - I've made lots of ice cream this way.

Fave ice cream topping ... chopped nuts, banana sliced thinly and grated Green & Blacks Maya Gold (lots of it. And then some more .. .depends how big the bowl is really. Sometimes I need to open another bar because the bowl isn't quite overflowing! ).

Quote audrey731 View Post
    Soyatoo! You Brits had it first.

Quote anael View Post
    I've found a french firm which make vegan ice creams
    this is www.lesojami.com
    thanks for this!!! I checked out their website and have found where to buy their products where I will be staying in France this summer. brilliant!!!!
    nicola

on my last shopping trip, i noticed a new soy ice-cream...the brand is Temptation. i got the peach cobbler flavor, which has chunks of dough. it's very good, but sweeter than other ice-creams i've tried (soy delicious has 17g sugar per 1/2 cup and this one has 21g per 1/2 cup), and even though i love sweets, i don't like them to be too sweet, so i'll only get this one once in a while for variety
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I tried Swedish Glace Soft Caramel for the first time yesterday and thought it tasted like creamy toffee, very tasty.
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/330011.html

Quote DancingWillow View Post
    on my last shopping trip, i noticed a new soy ice-cream...the brand is Temptation. i got the peach cobbler flavor, which has chunks of dough. it's very good, but sweeter than other ice-creams i've tried (soy delicious has 17g sugar per 1/2 cup and this one has 21g per 1/2 cup), and even though i love sweets, i don't like them to be too sweet, so i'll only get this one once in a while for variety
    chunks of dough???
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

I just made an amazing 'ice cream'. I put some frozen bananas in a food processor, added some peanut and almond butter, a tablespoon of coconut milk and a bit of green and black's drinking chocolate (it's 'grainy' and won't change the other flavours completely). Blend and freeze. It is heavenly. Will try carob powder next time.

Quote DancingWillow View Post
    One important thing about Chicago SoyDairy's Temptations is they make their stuff in a totally vegan, nut-free facility. I believe they're the only one (in the States, anyway) that can say that.

I notice that along with the price creeping up to equal that of the super-premium ice creams, the calories are now just about equal as well. The "Purely Decadent" line of Soy Delicious are all about as high in calories as a scoop of Haagen-Dazs. Anyone else notice that?

(In terms of sheer "bang-for-your-buck," I get the quart of Chocolate Velvet Soy Delicious--$3 at Trader Joe's, and only 130 calories per scoop.)
    Last edited by frank language; Jun 26th, 2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add words

Quote frank language View Post
    One important thing about Chicago SoyDairy's Temptations is they make their stuff in a totally vegan, nut-free facility. I believe they're the only one (in the States, anyway) that can say that.
    This just made me pull out my Temptation Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough icecream and have a few scoops while I type this.. I LOVE THIS ICECREAM!
    So sinfully rich and sweet (hence the name, "Temptation", and the little devil mascot on the front). Yup, definately not low-cal or low-fat, but so good if you have a sweet tooth. I've tried the Peach Cobbler too, I did enjoy it, but I go back to and prefer the choc. chip cookie dough one.

oh man am i a sucker for temptation ice cream, i once whent to the facility where they make it and had samples.... drool....drool....drool...

i cant get it out here on the west coast though.

(youre right though, williow... its VERY sweet! i can only handle a little bit... but thats why i like it so much! )
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Vegan Toffuti Cuties and toffuti ice cream bars called "Marry Me" they're really good!