Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan ice cream?

Default Re: tofu ice cream?

ahh an oldish thread, but one of my fav topics!

soy dream!!! mostly the coffee w/ almonds and fudge swirl, but the butter pecan is good and i've got the cinnamon w/ coffee swirl in my freezer now (crappy selection around here). the tofutti is good too! the chocolate supreme is way chocolatey and sooooooooo creamy!! tofutti cuties are good too the mint or the coffee are my favs.
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

feral

Default Swedish glace success!

Haa haa haa haaaaaa ha my local health store stocks swedish glace , last night was the first time in years I was able to have a bowl of icecream without having a sinus headache I got the raspberry one and it tastes exactly like a frozen yougart I used to buy. So stuff H&B and their unhelpful "you'll have to phone round all the stores yourself, we don't have a list" I am now discovering lots of good vegan grub between my 3 local health stores

*blows raspberries at all those who teased me about my dire lack of H&B food*

Default Re: Vegan ice cream?

I love soy icecream! I always get a mint soy icecream bar, thats my favourite.
    ▼Laurin▼

veggiewoman

I have just started buying Sainsburys FREE FROM...gluten and dairy free ice-cream, yes it was my first taste of dairy free ice cream and found it very yummy, it was hte raspberry flavour, I bought the toffee one today

veggiesosage

A related question, does anybody know if vegan lime sorbet exists anywhere on the globe. Will travel but pref in local shop.

saucyvegan

Quote Gorilla
    i'm guessing you're in the US?

in the UK we have Tofutti which is pretty good, they do tubs and they also do ice cream cones which are nice. My favourite vegan ice cream is called Swedish Glace, they do loads of flavours. i don't think i've seen Soy Delicious in the UK.

at least one supermarket (Sainsbury's) does their own vegan frozen dessert here, which is amazing, and it's actually not too bad! i think they did a toffee and walnut one which was my favourite.
    Ooh I didnt know that? I love Swedish Glace. Sainsburys here I come!! (plays with her love handles)!

Quote veggiewoman
    I have just started buying Sainsburys FREE FROM...gluten and dairy free ice-cream, yes it was my first taste of dairy free ice cream and found it very yummy, it was hte raspberry flavour, I bought the toffee one today
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, toffee...ooooooooooooooooooo
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

tabitha

Quote veggiesosage
    A related question, does anybody know if vegan lime sorbet exists anywhere on the globe. Will travel but pref in local shop.
    When I came to Nottingham a couple of weeks ago, we had dinner in a very carnivorous restaurant - there were things like veal, goose and pigeon (gag) o the menu. They did me a very passeable mushroom risotto and when it came to sweet I noticed they had sorbet on the menu. I checked and found out it had gelatine in it!!!! how unnecessary is that??!!

Im confused- I have bought the Sainsburys Free From raspberry ice cream because it said vegan, and I passed on the toffee because it just said vegetarian.
    So is the toffee one actually vegan?
    How annoyingly confusing...

This is the first I've heard about sainsbury's ice cream. See, that's why I love the vegan forum

It's gorgeous summery weather today. I think my ice cream maker will be coming out soon

Veggisosage - you know the M&S lemon sorbet with spring water? Is that lemon & lime or just lemon? I think it's just lemon. It's great stuff though, not as sweet or strangely gloopy as sainsbury's lemon sorbet.

veggiewoman

Quote Troutina
    Im confused- I have bought the Sainsburys Free From raspberry ice cream because it said vegan, and I passed on the toffee because it just said vegetarian.
    So is the toffee one actually vegan?
    How annoyingly confusing...
    I have just checked the labelling again and YES it says it is vegan !

Thankyou!
    I'll have another look next time I pop in, was very confused when one said vegetarian and the other said vegan!

friendly fri

I gave colleagues Swedish glace a few times, and each and all were in heaven and amazed at how absurdly gooooood the entire thing is!! top marks

Just tried the Swedish Glace chocolate and vanilla lolly ice cream thingys and the verdict is yummmmmm yummmm. Found them in Waitrose if anyone is interested

saucyvegan

MMMM Puffin thanks for that!! Thats another one on my list that I never knew about!!

I was shocked when i found them. I was looking for frozen beans but found those tasty things. The beans were soon forgotten about as the ice cream lollies were put in the basket

saucyvegan

Dont know about anyone else but whenever I see a new vegan product that I havnt tried im like a 4 year old jumping up and down in anticipation haha!!

Oh i am the same saucy, i feel like i have found something that no one has ever seen before and walk out of the shop with a big grin on my face.

I get them and also the Swedish Glace strawberry cone things, too. I get in a big mess with the lolly type ones - chocolate goes everywhere The cones are a bit safer.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

veggiewoman

sorry guys I jsut want to clarify that the RASBERRY ice-cream form the Sainsburys freefrom IS NOT VEGAN but the TOFFEE one in the same range is. The rasberry one is just vegetarian, where the toffee one is VEGAN.
    sorry for any confusion

Quote Rob(QG)
    I get them and also the Swedish Glace strawberry cone things, too. I get in a big mess with the lolly type ones - chocolate goes everywhere The cones are a bit safer.
    You messy so and so. Swedish Glace cones, i have never seen them. Where have you found them little gems?

I think I had the strawberry swedish glace cones from where i go here.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote puffin
    You messy so and so. Swedish Glace cones, i have never seen them. Where have you found them little gems?
    One of the Sainsbury's near us sells them. Health shops should do, too.

I want to try this Swedish Glace.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I really wish there was some sort of email that could send food over. I'd send some of every flavour (as long as it is vegan of course) to you. I should try and invent it shouldn't I, lol.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Yeah! Send me some Marmite/non-Unilver alternative too.

Well that's simple - get yourself on the next boat over here We brits are knee deep in the stuff, so I'm sure we can spare you a scoop

Has anyone tried, or even seen, the new B'Nice rice cream made by Beanies (who do all the Fry's goodies)?

no, i've never seen that anywhere.

my parents bought the Swedish Glace strawberry cones and said they didn't really like them. i haven't seen them in Brighton before but they bought theirs in their local Sainsburys.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Big Sainsbury near us had 4 tubs of Tofutti Mango and Passion Fruit tucked away next to the door hinge of the freezer - is it any good? I didn't buy it but I will if people rate it.

The strawberry cones could be loads better - there isn't much strawberry ripple stuff and it could be better. The cone is slightly odd, too - manages to be a bit soggy at the top and too crunchy at the bottom. Nice for a change, though.

Can't seem to find the Sainsbury Free From ice cream, though

Quote Rob(QG)
    Well that's simple - get yourself on the next boat over here We brits are knee deep in the stuff, so I'm sure we can spare you a scoop
    Haha, I think I'd rather fly.

My favorite vegan icecream is Temptation brand from the Chicago Soy Dairy.

They make a vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough that is to die for!

*drool*

Soy Delicious is good too, but nothing compared to Temptation. It is much "fur-ier" if that makes any sense! Grainy like. I thought it was awesome til I discovered better!

http://www.welovesoy.com/

The company is awesomely run too - check out their philosophy, it is equally as good as the icecream! http://www.welovesoy.com/philosophy.html

veggiesosage

Quote Tigerlily
    Haha, I think I'd rather fly.
    Yeah but boats are more environmentally friendly

Considering I haven't flown in 4 years and it's not something I do often, it won't hurt.

Quote Rob(QG)
    Big Sainsbury near us had 4 tubs of Tofutti Mango and Passion Fruit tucked away next to the door hinge of the freezer - is it any good? I didn't buy it but I will if people rate it.

The strawberry cones could be loads better - there isn't much strawberry ripple stuff and it could be better. The cone is slightly odd, too - manages to be a bit soggy at the top and too crunchy at the bottom. Nice for a change, though.

Can't seem to find the Sainsbury Free From ice cream, though
    my local Sainsburys don't sell any Tofutti, i've only ever tried Tofutti's vanilla ice cream but i wasn't impressed - i thought it was watery and artificial-tasting.

my parents said pretty much the same thing about the Swedish Glace cones. their choc ices are great though.

Sainsburys' supply of vegan foods seems pretty patchy, my nearest one usually has loads of the Free From ice cream. it's quite good although last time i checked it didn't actually say vegan on the label so i wasn't 100% sure about it even though it seemed ok, i don't know if that's been changed now.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Rob(QG)
    No dont buy it, its horrible

I made some banana and coffee ice cream yesterday from my How It All Vegan cookbook. I'm too scared to eat it now, as I just started my new healthy eating plan---and that ice cream is not healthy eating (5 tbsps of oil for a cup and a half of the ice cream!!!).

Quote puffin
    No dont buy it, its horrible
    I second that!

Lucky... I have never even seen a tub of non-dairy ice cream in person.
    My town is crap for vegan specialty foods. It's hard enough finding even Boca Burgers.
    So when I want ice cream, I make my own from frozen banana, or I eat ice pops.

That's too bad, Lenore. I guess there aren't any Whole Foods or other health food stores anywhere nearby you?

Quote ~Lenore
    Lucky... I have never even seen a tub of non-dairy ice cream in person.
    My town is crap for vegan specialty foods. It's hard enough finding even Boca Burgers.
    So when I want ice cream, I make my own from frozen banana, or I eat ice pops.
    *throws lots of tubs of ice cream your way*

Yay!

Unseen, no, actually I checked the Whole Foods website and there isn't even one in my state (Delaware).
    We do have a Trader Joes but it's way too far a drive to go there often.
    My family does most of the grocery shopping at Acme & Metro markets.
    Acme has a pretty good selection of vegan specialty foods lately (only place I've seen ThinkOrganic bars, and Van's vegan waffles!), but the prices are really high.
    It's fine though really, as I'm perfectly content to stick to unprocessed foods and produce, but it'd be cool to have a nice selection of goodies for now and then!

You make homemade vegan ice cream with a blender and a freezer. Google up for some recipes.

Lenore, you've most likely tried this but if you check the phone book under "health food stores" there could be a listing or two.

I dont know if this has been answered yet,...

I saw some sorbet at the grocery store today -- is it vegan - it didnt have the ingredients on there

I bought some rainbow sherbert (yum)

is sherbert bad?

There aren't any ingredients? Well, I would bet it isn't vegan. Sherbert seems to have dairy in it in general.

it does, it didnt have any ingredients on the box either -- it was only $1.20 for the whole box ..so yikes. I thought i read some where that sherbert was ok... sorry guys

It's okay, you're new at this.
    Vivausa.com says the following are vegan, BUT, you have to be careful, because lots of "accidentially vegan" lists are kind of dated, and companies change their recipes all the time and such:

•Luigi's Italian Ice

•Dreyers Sorbet (west of the Rockies)/Edy’s (east of the Rockies)
    Vegan products include whole fruit sorbets: boysenberry, lemon, mandarin orange with passion fruit, mango, peach, raspberry, strawberry; whole fruit bars include lemonade, lime, strawberry, tangerine and wild berry.

•Howler Sorbets
    All flavors

•Safeway
    Sorbets that are vegan (Lemon, Mango, Raspberry, Chocolate and Pineapple Passion).

•Tofutti
    In tubs (except for Honey Vanilla Chamomile), Tofutti Cuties (ice cream sandwiches), Tofutti Too-Toos (ice cream sandwich cookies)

Does anybody else freeze bananas and use them as ice cream? I'm not the only one right? Drizzle with chocolate and nuts...trust me ...yummm.