Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan ice cream?

Default Re: Vegan ice cream?

I totally did this the other night!
    I blended up frozen bananas, frozen grapes, a little bit of cocoa powder, and some vanilla soymilk.
    I thought it would turn out awful, because I couldn't think of what I was supposed to put in it (this is how I cook ), but it turned out to be very VERY yummy.

Quote ~Lenore
    Tofutti Too-Toos (ice cream sandwich cookies)
    I've never seen these, but I must find them.

Same. They're so cute!: http://www.tofutti.com/tootoos.0.asp

Does anywhere do a vegan tiramisu? My husband would DIE for that, lol!

Lydia, try this link here http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=1089

I've never tried it myself. You can be the quinea pig????? (We love quinea pigs....yes we do )

Ill try it soon!

OMG! i love tiramisu! thanks Jane

Anytime! Save me a piece???? Or at least take a picture of it's yumminess?????

Default banana ice cream?

not for awhile now... in summer when a whole bunch gets over-ripe behind my back I slice them diagonally 2-3cm thick and freeze on non-stick paper. Can then be transfered to freezer-bag. Great drizzled/dipped with melted chocolate. Whole frozen banana can get the same treatment I favor for Frozen strawberries: shred finely thru food processor. Voila, sorbet. A drizzle of maple syrup over the top makes it magical.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

i just had tofutti's strawberry cheesecake ice cream.
    it is MUCH better than the regular flavors.
    but soy delicious is definitely the best brand.
    the dishes are done, man.

i've just bought some yummy coffee mocha swedish glace hmmmmm i blame the hot weather!!

I just ate a swedish glace ice cream in an ice cream cone with two layers of mint chocolate sauce I love Summer.

I was just on the Cold Stone website looking at the ingredient lists for their sorbets. Other than possibly the sugar, I don't see anything in there that isn't vegan. Am I missing anything?

Click here for the lists I was looking at. The sorbets are at the bottom. It's a pdf file.

nooo they look good to me! hmmm wish i could have some too...

I haven't read through the entire thread yet... but I tried the So(y) Delicious Boysenberry ice cream for the first time tonight. It was my first experience with soy ice cream, eek! But it was pretty darn good Kind of strangely cheesecake-flavoured... not sure how that works? But yummy just the same.

Boysenberry ice cream sounds so good and they don't have it the health food store here...darn!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

A little something to make you all drool.

Ooh I love summer. Sitting out in the sun eating Vanilla Swedish Glace and Vegan Jelly.

*wants jelly and ice cream now* ¬_¬

"It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Blix

Quote Gorilla
    i'm guessing you're in the US?

in the UK we have Tofutti which is pretty good, they do tubs and they also do ice cream cones which are nice. My favourite vegan ice cream is called Swedish Glace, they do loads of flavours. i don't think i've seen Soy Delicious in the UK.

at least one supermarket (Sainsbury's) does their own vegan frozen dessert here, which is amazing, and it's actually not too bad! i think they did a toffee and walnut one which was my favourite.
    Where do you buy Tofutti in the UK?

Quote xwitchymagicx
    *wants jelly and ice cream now* ¬_¬

*stamps foot* I want some too!

VeganJohn

Me too!! Let's have a jelly and ice cream party

Perfect summer food!!

Jelly & ice cream...hm...must be a European thing. I think if I told someone in the US I was eating that they would laugh.

Kinda like pie & chips?

The Tofutti too-toos have chocolate chips, so I don't think they're vegan? They don't list the ingredients of the chips on the packaging... but they only say "dairy-free". In the Tofutti chocolate chip cookies they sell there is egg whites, so I'm guessing the too-toos have them, too.

vegan1969

We prefer tofutti pints but today we tried the tofutti wild berry ice cream sandwiches and they are excellent!

VeganJohn

Quote mn_nurse
    Jelly & ice cream...hm...must be a European thing. I think if I told someone in the US I was eating that they would laugh.

Kinda like pie & chips?

haha, jelly means jam in the US right? As in what you put on your toast?

I bet you haven't had chips and mushy peas after a night oot on the toon

Yeah, don't even want to know what the mushy peas are.

Yes, we have jelly & jam in the states, but usually the jelly stays on the toast or english muffin or whatever. Never seen anyone put it on ice cream or "swedish glaze" (whatever that is!).

What's the deal with "chips" anyway? What do you call actual potato chips in the UK?

We call "actual potato chips" crisps .

tabitha

Quote mn_nurse

Yes, we have jelly & jam in the states, but usually the jelly stays on the toast or english muffin or whatever. Never seen anyone put it on ice cream or "swedish glaze" (whatever that is!).

What's the deal with "chips" anyway? What do you call actual potato chips in the UK?
    Mushy peas are completely revolting and they smell foul!!! Think of what came out of the little girls mouth when she vomited in The Exorcist.....

How dare you!

Mushy peas are brill. I eat them cold in a sandwich, or straight from the tin even

I'm not keen on the luminous ones. I used to get Smedleys which had no additives, but haven't seen them for ages. I'll have to start making my own I think. A girl that throws up mushy peas would be my ideal woman, I reckon!
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

VeganJohn

Tabs, don't be so cruel about mushy peas lol!! When you have them with chips and some hummus they are tasty

mn_nurse - Swedish Glace is a brand of soy ice cream, commonly available in the UK and available in several flavours. It is the best non-dairy ice cream I have ever had. Actually, I want some now :>

Wink Re: Vegan ice cream?

LOL Sorry for my ignorance for all things British.

The only time you'll see someone willingly eating mushy peas in the US is if they are under the age of 1 and being fed them by someone else.

BTW, what is brill?

And, I'm sorry, peas & hummus? Gotta say "no can do" to that one!

Quote mn_nurse
    BTW, what is brill?
    Brilliant!

Mushy peas are not like baby food! I like to cook them till they are a bit dry, and add mint to them.

Thickly "butter" a thick slice of bread, add some big thick fried chips, a line of ketchup, a scoop of minted mushy peas, fold up and eat. Doesn't get much better than that. Maybe that should be called a Yorkshire Kebab or something.

jelly isn't the same as jam in the states... it's not jelly, either though. jam has bits of fruit in it, jelly doesn't. it's almost like jelly, but maybe a little fruitier and made with pectin, so not quite is jelled...

how was that for confusing?

uk jelly = u.s. jello

u.s. jelly = not quite jam

i didn't like the normal soy delicious, but i adore the purely decadent varieties. they're so much more expensive than other soy ice creams here (uk) though. and i can't get my all time favourite ever flavour here. turtle trails is by far the best ice cream (vegan or not) that i have ever had. but! i'm going to california this summer, so i will get me some turtle trails then!!!!
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

US jello has gelatin in it. We have both jam and jelly here. What was in that bowl looked like our jelly.

We actually call preserved fruit in a jar jam if it has chunks of fruit in and jelly if it is smooth and seedless.
    That jelly above is jello type stuff, though.

It is vegan jelly (jello). It's made from crystals dissolved in boiling water.

The low sugar varieties are gelatin free over here, as are the packets in trifles. But there is a sugary vegan version sold in health food shops.

I can't remember what the gelling agent is.

It's not exactly like jelly (jello) - it's slightly more crystalline.

we have something called TOFULINE, which comes in vanilla, chocolate, mocca and strawberry. and then you can get a mix w/pear, strawberry and lemon. and of course the chocolate/vanilla's on sticks, and waffles soo good.

and then we have tons of sorbets

Ooh waffles - is it possible to make them without a waffle iron? Would a frying pan do the trick? And does anyone have a recipe? That would so make my day

hmm.. i think you need a waffle iron. - but they should be really cheap

here's my best recipe:

225g/ 1/2lb/ 2 cups wholewheat flour/all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    pinch of sea salt
    425 ml/ 3/4pt / 2 cups soymilk (i used water one time, and they turned out nice anyway)
    4 tbs vegetable oil
    some vanilla

mix all the dry ingredients, then stir in the oil and soymilk/water.

use you waffle iron to bake.

they are soo delicious

OMG - how i feel like inviting all of my friends on a nice brunch

lol, waffles without a waffle iron are pancakes
    Peace Love Surf.

But what's a girl to do if she doesn't have a waffle iron? Looks like I'm sticking with pancakes for now

Blix

Quote mn_nurse

The very thin slices of potato, fried, are called potato crisps. The chips are square -ish and long and deep fried. Chips and pea fritters are good when you are out. Pea fritters are made with mushy peas with a little mint added, formed into balls, cooled till they are firm and then dipped in batter and deep fried. They are gorgeous, but, as the batter contains an egg, then it is off the menu. Oh, for a way to make coating batter without using an egg. Jelly is made with gelatine and fruit juice, or, as a vegan, I use agar agar mixed with fruit juice. Another way is to buy the fruit tea bags and make a strong infusion, then mix in the agar agar and leave till set. Easy peasy, not easy mushy peasy! Brill means, brilliant!

Blix

Quote mattd
    yes, tofutti is indeed the best vegan icecream. i just had the coffee mashmallow and that maybe my favorite along with better pecan. soy delicious is good too. a couple years ago i'd gorge myself on the mint marble fudge till was to lazy to move.
    I had some Tuffutti. I found it in Tesco. It was light but nice. Then I found it contained palm oil, which is planted after the rain forests are cut down. In fact, the rain forests are cut down to provide the land to grow the palm oil plants. Then the animals lose there homes. So no more Toffutti for me.

Tofutti also apparently don't guarantee the sugar they use is vegan.

i had a Soy Delicious choc ice the other day. Holland & Barrett sell them in the UK. i liked the chocolate coating but thought the ice cream inside was a disappointment, it wasn't very nice. they're not as good as Swedish Glace choc ices.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Blix
    Pea fritters are made with mushy peas with a little mint added, formed into balls, cooled till they are firm and then dipped in batter and deep fried. They are gorgeous, but, as the batter contains an egg, then it is off the menu. Oh, for a way to make coating batter without using an egg.
    Erm - it is quite possible to make a coating batter without egg.

I've had battered veg and battered onion rings that were vegan in restaurants. I actually did get the waitress to double check the first time

Chinese batter is usually egg free - it's a slightly lighter batter, and very nice.

Quote Pob
    I've had battered veg and battered onion rings that were vegan in restaurants. I actually did get the waitress to double check the first time
    Indeed, you can buy tempura batter mixes imported from China in the UK. Beer batter is particularly tasty, just whisk together 125g plain white flour, 170ml lager, a pinch salt and 2 tsp baking powder and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 mins. As this is an icecream thread I've used the recipe I just mentioned to deep fry chopped bananas and eat with vanilla icecream and hot chocolate sauce.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

The Soy Delicious "Swinging Anna Banana" flavor is my favorite. Followed closely by Chicago Soy Dairy's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Temptation ice cream.

Right now I have some Soy Delicious "Turtle Trails" flavor in the freezer.

I tried Soylati Mango/Vanilla the other day *swoon* mmm... sooo tasty! I am also partial to the Tofutti Cuties (mint choc chip) they're so tiny but so good

I tried doing the recipe found in http://www.vegcooking.com/icecream.asp
    and they're really good.
    You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals - Immanuel Kant

Default Re: Tofutti in the UK

I really wanted some ice cream today. I got all my loose change (since I'm poor and have no real money), and went to the nearest place that sells it. It's a little natural pharmacy or something, so they only had 1 kind of Soy Delicious--Cherry Nirvana. So I go to get my Cherry Nirvana and the freezer is EMPTY. I go to the other one and all they have is Tofutti Vanilla Almond Bark. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SOY DELICIOUS?????

Now, I used to eat Tofutti before I discovered Soy Delicious, which i am now addicted to. I took a bite of the Tofutti and it was YUCKY. I don't know how I ate the stuff before. I managed to eat most of it--I poured some Pepsi into it to make it better. I couldn't even finish the pint, and I can ALWAYS finish the pint in one sitting. But I spent ALL of my change on it, so I'm goning to eat it. =(
    Last edited by flutterby; Dec 29th, 2006 at 10:39 PM. Reason: posts were moved from the 'Tofutti in the UK' thread.

Default Re: Tofutti in the UK

I don't think this stuff is available outside the US but it's darn fine eatin':

http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/

I don't know if all of it is vegan but those that I've tried have been absolutely yummy.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot