Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan ice cream?

Default Re: Vegan ice cream?

yum i adore Toffuti Cuties...

For a while I have been raving on about how good Rookbeare Farm Dark Cherry Sorbet is but it is quite hard to find.

From their website:-
    Where can I buy your products?
    From good Farm Shops and Delicatessens. Larger outlets include Waitrose, Fresh & Wild, Harrods and House of Fraser Food Store.
    I emailed Waitrose to find out which branches stock it:-
    I am pleased to advise that Rookbeare Sorbet Dark Cherry is available in 23 Waitrose branches.

Gillingham, Brighton, Dorchester, Westbury Park, Marlborough, Bath, Yateley, Ringwood, Salisbury,
    Gloucester Road (London), John Lewis Food Hall (Oxford St, London),
    Okehampton, Saltash, Sidmouth, Chandlers Ford, Portishead,
    Kensington (London), Farnham, Southampton, Lewes, Eastbourne, Parkstone and Lymington.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

When I want to get Rookbeare raspberry sorbet I always phone the branch of Waitrose and get them to reserve it for me.

One time I went all the way to Devon (I was sort of visiting someone but I felt the sorbet was more important really) and they didnt have any and the problem with frozen stuff is I cant exactly bring it back on the train from London.

I think they think I'm a bit odd cause the Okehampton branch is only small but they always reserve it and its funny cause they always write VEGAN in capital letters before my name - its like they have given me a new title or something.

Out of interest I always get them to reserve the Raspberry one cause thats my favourite - but I always keep the other flavours in the freezer as well so I can have a mixed flavour sorbet.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

I dont know if someone already mentioned, but I have been getting Soy Delicious mini's. They are similar to Tofutti cuties...and I personally like them a little more. Also, I just recently came across this non dairy sorbet that is ridiculously good. its called wine cellar sorbet. unfortunatley I am lucky enough to have allergies to many things, one being sulfites which this sorbet does contain..so i cant really have more than a spoonful at a time or it will bother me. but it's really good stuff...delish!!

our family loves the sojasun icecreams (those in pots). the chocolate one is more similar to a mousse than an icecream. it's hard to find them though.

steven1222

When I treat myself to vegan ice cream, it is most likely to be Soy Delicious from Turtle Mountain because that does not contain anything scary like traces of cows' milk, 10 grams of fiber or 35 grams of sugar per cup. All of those are problems with some other brands.
    I have not tasted vegan ice cream sandwiches because they remind me of their dairy counterpart, which I strongly disliked as a child.
    Last edited by steven1222; Jan 21st, 2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Error with numbers

Soy Delicious is so yummy, even my non-vegan husband enjoys eating it. My favorite is the Chocolate Brownie Almond flavor.

Quote Topaz View Post
    Soy Delicious is so yummy, even my non-vegan husband enjoys eating it. My favorite is the Chocolate Brownie Almond flavor.
    isn't it?? i honestly can't tell the difference from the real stuff. i haven't tried too many flavors yet, although i have to fight the urge to just buy them all. problem is i would probably eat them all....in about 3 days! i have the 90 calorie mini's in my freezer now and the toffutti fudge bars that are only 30 cal's per bar!! soy delicious also makes a really good yogurt, cinnamon bun flavor. its sooo good! i only wish they carried them in more stores!

I like rice dream way better cuz it is sweet and doesn't have that soy flavor. When I am in Richmond I buy the carrot cake rice dream at Kroger. It is something like 50% Vitamin A per serving so I pretend its healthy.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Haniska View Post
    I like rice dream way better cuz it is sweet and doesn't have that soy flavor. When I am in Richmond I buy the carrot cake rice dream at Kroger. It is something like 50% Vitamin A per serving so I pretend its healthy.
    i just saw that one in the natural market the other day..and thats the flavor i was going to get. but i have to confess that i am a bit neurotic about having too much fat and calories...and the rice dream is higher than the others. maybe every now and then for a treat!

I'm currently defrosting a nice bowl of homemade chocolate chip ice cream from "How it All Vegan"
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Haniska is right. Rice dream rocks, especially the carrot cake! The soy flavor in other ice creams, like soy delicious, is yucky to me.
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

Default Re: vegan icecream

Quote satirecafe View Post
    O'Soy chocolate velvet flavor - it's amazing!! it tastes kind of like chocolate truffles
    Check o'soy ingredients, if you haven't. Here the o'soy yogurt had dairy derived culture in it, so it contained dairy. I was surprised. I usually just make smoothies with strawberries or other frozen fruit and frozen bannannas, with a bit of soymilk and sweetener of choice. I want some chocolate kind though. I just got the Ten Talents cookbook, and it has a rice ice cream recipe in it, you can make it with an icecream maker or not. It was served at the Five Loaves restuarant. I think I will start there, maybe check out some boughten kind soon. they only have two small health food stores here and they are small. The nice one is an hour away.

Default Re: vegan icecream

Quote justdewit38 View Post
    Check o'soy ingredients, if you haven't. Here the o'soy yogurt had dairy derived culture in it, so it contained dairy. I was surprised. I usually just make smoothies with strawberries or other frozen fruit and frozen bannannas, with a bit of soymilk and sweetener of choice. I want some chocolate kind though. I just got the Ten Talents cookbook, and it has a rice ice cream recipe in it, you can make it with an icecream maker or not. It was served at the Five Loaves restuarant. I think I will start there, maybe check out some boughten kind soon. they only have two small health food stores here and they are small. The nice one is an hour away.
    yes, you are right. unfortunately O'Soy yogurt does contain dairy. I was very bummed to find this out because the chocolate flavor is really good. I am not sure about the ice cream but i would definitely look in to it. I have found one really good one by So Delicious, although they don't carry it in many stores for some reason. they make a cinnamon roll flavor that is really yummy!!

thanks for the tip, marrers. I treated myself to a tub of Rookbeare's cherry sorbet the other day and it was gone within 24 hours. My god that stuff was brilliant. You don't get that goopy mucus-y afterthought that you get with commercial sorbets.

This may be a stupid question...but is fruit flavoured gelato's/sorbets vegan safe? I always thought they were just made from sugar, ice, flavouring and water?

You only know once you read the ingredient list. All brands are different, and even some brands are different depending on local distributor. Check your ingredient lists! Plus, it helps to know what the heck you are eating, even if it happens to be vegan (but made from a dozen things you don't know about).
    context is everything

Here in Yurrup it used to be common to make sorbet with egg white, but as far as I can tell commercial ones never have it now (they sometimes include some vegetable gum such as guar instead I think).

If you were having it in a restaurant or cafe it might still be advisable to check they haven't used egg white.

Just to let UK folks know - Swedish Glace now do a 1.3L Neopolitan tub. It's recently become available to me at my local Tesco for £2.99 - I've one ready to be attacked in my freezer.

Stu

Yeah, I've been on the lookout for these badboys, but thus far to no avail.

Bry, you've made me crave ice cream. I'm gonna go and get some out of the freezer.

I've been dreaming about Swedish Glace Neopolitan ice cream!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Stu

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, this hits the spot.

try Sainsbury's islington - they've got it.

Stu

Hmmmmm....... I go through Islington twice a day on my bike. Where abouts is it? Which bit of Islington, I mean?

Angel

Stu

Oh yeah, I know the one. It's a wee one, isn't it, just by Islington Green or whatever it's called.

nope! The big one near the N1 shopping centre.

In Australia personally I would go for.......
    Gelatos - Soylati or So Good
    Sorbets - Weiss (only red orange and lemon are vegan though) or Gelativo

Gelato is often considered to be made with milk and sugar.

Sorbets are usually vegan but some contain gelatin or cochineal colouring (Vitari sorbets do) so check the label.

I got Swedish Glace Neapolitan ice cream 2 days before I left England - I was so pleased and excited to find it...........but I had to leave it in my freezer in England.

I've only just recently seen it! How long has it been around?

I got mine in December in Somerset.............didn't see it in the Angel (London) branch of Sainsburys at that time though.

Think they had it on http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk around December time also.

Out of interest they also have Swedish Glace in Wild Blueberry listed - has anyone had that one yet?

oooh blueberry! yummm! great thing is that if I did find that, I wouldn't have to share with Jo - cos she hates blueberries!

I also hate blueberries but I think I would buy in anyway - I'm sort of obsessed with vegan ice cream, sorbet and frozen fruit.

Stu

Blueberries are one of my favouritest things in the wholed wide world. So that sounds scrumdiddlyumptious to me.

I've never had vegan icecream. Is it mainly soy-based and the same consistency of dairy icecream?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Some of it is soy based but you can also get ones that are rice based like Rice Dream http://www.tastethedream.com/products/rd_frozen.php, hemp based like Cool Hemp http://www.coolhemp.com/en_home.htm and you can even get nut based ones like Booja Booja Stuff in a tub http://www.boojabooja.com/e_news.htm

Personally I think its the same consistency of dairy - I guess it varies depending on brand....but I think dairy does also?

Anyhow try the Rice Dream in Vanilla its ace.

JC

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I've never had vegan icecream. Is it mainly soy-based and the same consistency of dairy icecream?
    omg, you're deprived!!!
    i would recommend swedish glace, but i don't think it's sold in the us

Anyone tried SG since they changed recipes? We've 2 tubs of the new stuff in the freezer but not had any yet. Still labelled vegan.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I saw that Booja Booja Stuff stuff for the first time today. Then I saw the price. Hmm, Swedish Glace.

Not sure if it was a new recipe, it was new packaging, but I had some the other week (vanilla) and it did not taste any different to me.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Quote sandra View Post
    I've been dreaming about Swedish Glace Neopolitan ice cream!

I actually got some today!

I've already had a large bowl of it.................I'm tempted to have another. It's that delicious mixture of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry that gets me everytime.............that's it I'm getting another bowl.........

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Anyone tried SG since they changed recipes?
    Ah, I had some vanilla the other day and thought it tasted odd. I didn't realise the recipe had changed. That's not good!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote maikeru View Post
    I saw that Booja Booja Stuff stuff for the first time today. Then I saw the price. Hmm, Swedish Glace.
    Hi Michael............I bought that Booja stuff a couple of months ago and was really disappointed in it. I really prefer the Swedish Glace, it has a much more creamy texture. I ended up throwing the Booja stuff out as no one wanted to eat it!

JC

i'm not that impressed by the neapolitan swedish glace. why is it that the chocolate flavour in neapolitan ice cream always tastes slightly alcoholic?? whereas the normal chocolate stuff is really good. don't get me wrong, it's still really nice, i just prefer the standard vanilla myself

vanilla is always a good flavour because you can do so much with it, like adding things to it, or adding it to other things

do they have any of these in the US? So far boojabooja and swedish glace are in the UK only?!

I'm so deprived on my desserts! I've only had one vegan cookie in the two years I've been vegan - no brownies, muffins, icecreams, cakes, etc.

This thread makes me want dessert now!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I tried the Booja Booja ginger one that I'd been so excited to try .... yuk ! I really didn't like it. I haven't found any vegan ice cream that I like so far, swedish glace vanilla is okay at a push, but nothing exciting.

do they have any of these in the US? So far boojabooja and swedish glace are in the UK only?!
    I agree with scarlet. I love ice cream but IMO the best vegan ice cream is in the US! Look for Soy Delicious in your local health food store or Wholefoods if you have one near you ella.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I'm so deprived on my desserts! I've only had one vegan cookie in the two years I've been vegan - no brownies, muffins, icecreams, cakes, etc.
    Yikes, that's rough. It's very easy to bake vegan cookies by substituting vegan ingredients. My son has nicknamed my vegan brownies (a boxed variety that I veganize) "Heavenly brownies"

I'm suprised your still alive - get down to the nearest wholefoods asap.

Quote sponge View Post
    Yikes, that's rough. It's very easy to bake vegan cookies by substituting vegan ingredients. My son has nicknamed my vegan brownies (a boxed variety that I veganize) "Heavenly brownies"

Send a slice of heaven up my way then spongette

Quote sandra View Post
    Hi Michael............I bought that Booja stuff a couple of months ago and was really disappointed in it. I really prefer the Swedish Glace, it has a much more creamy texture. I ended up throwing the Booja stuff out as no one wanted to eat it!
    Aww, that is not good. I would have hated to have spent that much money to find I did not like it.

I am happy with Swedish Glace, I just wish they would add their own 'luxury' range with flavours like cookie dough!

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...