Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Vegan ice cream?

Default Re: Vegan ice cream?

I think I'm a medal contender too! When I travel to New York now it is an important requirement to stay somewhere with a freezer so I can buy all the interesting ice cream flavours! (In the past I used to sit on the street with a spoon and eat as much as I could out of the tub before it melted or I was too full and had to throw it away!)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I think I'm a medal contender too! When I travel to New York now it is an important requirement to stay somewhere with a freezer so I can buy all the interesting ice cream flavours! (In the past I used to sit on the street with a spoon and eat as much as I could out of the tub before it melted or I was too full and had to throw it away!)
    I fear that I might not be able to afford anywhere with such ameneties this time!

Oh, the horror!

Better get ready to eat it out of the tub on the street. I've done it too--it's kind of fun, like a race against time, trying to eat it all before it melts.

Incidentally, why does the vegan ice cream elsewhere always seem more appealing? The grass is always greener...

Quote mariana View Post
    Incidentally, why does the vegan ice cream elsewhere always seem more appealing? The grass is always greener...
    Because the ice cream in the state is not only better, but there's more of it!

p.s. I'll probably spend most of my NYC time in Lula's sweet apothecary anyway:

http://www.lulassweetapothecary.com/

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Because the ice cream in the state is not only better, but there's more of it!
    That depends where you live in the States, though!

Quote mariana View Post
    That depends where you live in the States, though!
    same as the UK then.

some places can only get swedish glace vanilla (or none at all), whereas Londoners are pretty damn lucky.

However, I saw a good 40 varieties of ice cream in NYC, with at least 10 varieties in the not-very-big supermarket near where we stayed.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    same as the UK then.

some places can only get swedish glace vanilla (or none at all), whereas Londoners are pretty damn lucky.

However, I saw a good 40 varieties of ice cream in NYC, with at least 10 varieties in the not-very-big supermarket near where we stayed.
    40 varieties? I'm jealous! I think I do prefer US vegan ice cream brands though (tofutti cuties, Temptation, Purely Decadent). Swedish Glace is nice but I much prefer Purely Decadent. (I'm so sad I didn't get any when I was at home because I was sick and didn't feel like eating ice cream! )

Ice cream is probably the number one thing I miss since becoming vegan. So far I have not encountered an even comparable tasting vegan alternative...

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    p.s. I'll probably spend most of my NYC time in Lula's sweet apothecary anyway:

http://www.lulassweetapothecary.com/
    that looks like something i'll have to add to my to-do list while i'm there
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Lulu's looks fabulous! I want to go to NY...and just eat and do nothing else!

Quote clementine View Post
    Ice cream is probably the number one thing I miss since becoming vegan. So far I have not encountered an even comparable tasting vegan alternative...
    Have you tried booja booja? the chocolate one is unbelievable for me !

Quote mariana View Post
    I want to go to NY...and just eat and do nothing else!
    Primary purpose of all my trips I have to admit!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

We've had Purely Decadent (chocolate brownie almond), Tofutti Cuties chocolate, Soy Creamy (chocolate sandwiches and cherry ice cream), and Soy Delicious (chocolate). My parents haven't tried the Tofutti Cuties, but the other ones, my parents agree they both love! (and my mom is an ice cream lover).

I'm not sure what's available where you are, but as a lacto-ovo veggie I found Tofutti Cuties to taste exactly like dairy ice cream (I think maybe because I was focused on not just the ice cream flavor but also the cookie part), and my omni friend likes them more than dairy ice cream sandwiches. Apart from those, I haven't found anything that tastes exactly like dairy ice cream...but I enjoy certain vegan ice creams on their own merits (then again, I ate them for years as a veggie, just because I liked them). My favorite, and the one I find closest to ice cream, is Purely Decadent. They have some great flavors I've never even seen in dairy ice cream. My favorite's the peanut butter swirl (I think that's what it's called )with peanut butter and chocolate. Yum! Now I want some. Too bad I can't get any here.

Basically, it looks like you are going to have to work your way through every single ice cream mentioned on this board, until you find one you like

Quote mariana View Post
    Purely Decadent . . . my favorite's the peanut butter swirl with peanut butter and chocolate.
    I love that one too (it's called Peanut Butter Zig Zag) but it is in second place to my favourite Chocolate Obsession (choc ice cream with choc sauce and choc flakes!). Cherry Nirvana comes a close third. I wish we could get them here.

I see they now make coconut milk yogurts and ice creams!

Yeah...I just tried some Tofutti ice-cream sandwich...it was awesome!!!
    Gotta get some more....

Buddha Belly

Quote Marrers View Post
    I love that one too (it's called Peanut Butter Zig Zag) but it is in second place to my favourite Chocolate Obsession (choc ice cream with choc sauce and choc flakes!). Cherry Nirvana comes a close third. I wish we could get them here.

Can we get the peanut one in the UK? If so.. do you know anywhere near north London to get them?

For a while the Chocolate Obsession was available in Taj in Brighton - which was a lovely surprise but then it disappeared, probably over a year ago now. I don't know of any other UK stockists.

Quote Marrers View Post

Yes, Peanut Butter Zig Zag, thanks! I haven't seen Chocolate Obsession before...sounds delicious, though! Cherry Nirvana's probably my second favorite after Peanut Butter Zig Zag. The coconut milk ones are delicious too! I only got a chance to try the vanilla flavor and the chocolate....I thought they were amazing and my omni grandparents loved them too! The coconut milk yogurt was just so-so, in my opinion.

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Can we get the peanut one in the UK? If so.. do you know anywhere near north London to get them?
    I'm pretty sure they're only available in the US and possibly Canada. (If they're available here I'm going to go buy 5 tubs tomorrow! )

Buddha Belly

I'm pretty sure they're only available in the US and possibly Canada. (If they're available here I'm going to go buy 5 tubs tomorrow! )[/quote]

Had a look at the UK toffuti website (now called triano in UK) no luck for good flavours

http://www.triano.f2s.com/tr/tofutti-org-01.php

Quote mariana View Post
    I'm not sure what's available where you are, but as a lacto-ovo veggie I found Tofutti Cuties to taste exactly like dairy ice cream (I think maybe because I was focused on not just the ice cream flavor but also the cookie part), and my omni friend likes them more than dairy ice cream sandwiches. Apart from those, I haven't found anything that tastes exactly like dairy ice cream...but I enjoy certain vegan ice creams on their own merits (then again, I ate them for years as a veggie, just because I liked them). My favorite, and the one I find closest to ice cream, is Purely Decadent. They have some great flavors I've never even seen in dairy ice cream. My favorite's the peanut butter swirl (I think that's what it's called )with peanut butter and chocolate. Yum! Now I want some. Too bad I can't get any here.
    You can get tofutti cuties - at Earth in Kentish Town.

I am v.jealous of you UK people

However, we have a gelateria under our flat which normally has three flavours of soya ice-cream as standard (vanilla, pistachio and hazelnut), plus they can make others on request. Sometimes they also use rice milk too.

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote fiamma View Post

However, we have a gelateria under our flat which normally has three flavours of soya ice-cream as standard (vanilla, pistachio and hazelnut), plus they can make others on request. Sometimes they also use rice milk too.
    Pistachio soys ice cream. I'm moving back to Italy.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

LoL, gentlemaorispirit It is good stuff.

But they've been closed since New Year *cries* I have to wait till February 7th for them to open... am suffering severe withdrawal symptoms

Quote fiamma View Post
    LoL, gentlemaorispirit It is good stuff.

But they've been closed since New Year *cries* I have to wait till February 7th for them to open... am suffering severe withdrawal symptoms
    That's just cruel having to go cold soya "turkey", but on a positive side, it's just under 2 weeks and then they are open again and you can indulge. I'm packing my bags to join you.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Yay!!! Dinner's at 6, OK? Don't be late

Quote fiamma View Post
    Yay!!! Dinner's at 6, OK? Don't be late
    Oh bugger! I'm frequently late, it's my nature. I'll blame the gorgeous scenery for making me late as I'll be admiring it. Yeah, that's it!

Booja Booja and Swedish Glace are my faves All my family like Swedish Glace (especially the vanilla one!).

Tofutti is okay, but I find it really hard to find Tofutti ice-cream that has been stored properly. Sometimes it tastes like it's melted and then been frozen again.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    You can get tofutti cuties - at Earth in Kentish Town.
    Thanks for letting me know! Now I just wish they'd start stocking Purely Decadent in the UK.
    Quote fiamma View Post

Wow, that sounds even better than any packaged soya ice cream. I'm jealous! I'll be coming to stay with you as well, fiamma.

i just tried Tofutti Cuties in Mint Chocolate Chip... holy cow... it's amazing!!! tastes great... even my omni friend liked it :0)

Quote mariana View Post
    Thanks for letting me know! Now I just wish they'd start stocking Purely Decadent in the UK
    I emailed Triano to see whether they have turtle mountain products distributed in London anywhere. I'll let you know how I get on.

i just tried Tofutti Cuties in Mint Chocolate Chip... holy cow... it's amazing!!! tastes great... even my omni friend liked it :0)
    Great, I'm so glad you (and your omni friend!) liked them!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I emailed Triano to see whether they have turtle mountain products distributed in London anywhere. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Ooh, awesome, thanks! It would be so great if they did (or if not we could get people to mass e-mail them and try to convince them to ).

Some of the omni's on my floor shuddered at thinking of soy ice cream (don't know if they've tried it or what flavor..should have asked) after someone mentioned that they were lactose intolerant but ate ice cream anyway. Anyway at the next mandatory meeting I'm thinking of showing up with a tub of the most luxurious vegan ice cream I can come up with, then when people ask me for some, I'll say, "Sure," then they'll have some and then I'll be like, "So how do you like your icky soy ice cream?"

Quote fiamma View Post
    . . we have a gelateria under our flat which normally has three flavours of soya ice-cream as standard
    I assume all the Londoners (and any visitors) know about Scoop at 40 Shorts Gardens, Covent Garden? They always have a few dairy free 'sorbets' - the only one I've ever tried is the dark chocolate sorbet - it's just like a really rich ice cream! On each visit I resolve to try something new but I just can't pass it up!

Long lunchtime queues are a testament to the fact that even the dairy-free health ices (intriguingly made from rice flour) at this Italian artisan’s shop are utterly delicious.
    Time Out Eating & Drinking Guide 2009

Quote Marrers View Post
    I assume all the Londoners (and any visitors) know about Scoop at 40 Shorts Gardens, Covent Garden? They always have a few dairy free 'sorbets' - the only one I've ever tried is the dark chocolate sorbet - it's just like a really rich ice cream! On each visit I resolve to try something new but I just can't pass it up!
    how much is it?

Apparently 2 scoops for 2 quid:

http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/l.../1e06073/scoop

That's your lunch break sorted. We want photos.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I'm there on Wednesday. Woop.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I've walked by that place so many times and never knew they had vegan stuff! Thanks for letting us know. I think I'm going to have to make a special visit there sometime soon... Do you know if all their sorbets vegan?

You'll have to ask mariana, but be warned that sometimes the people behind the counter are a bit clueless and don't know what a vegan is - just ask about the ingredients of the dairy-free stuff and you should be able to find out what is suitable.

Quote Marrers View Post
    sometimes the people behind the counter are a bit clueless and don't know what a vegan is
    That's what I'm always afraid of. As long as they have an ingredients list should be fine, though. I'll probably just go for the chocolate sorbet...sounds too good to pass up!

Soy Delicious! I just finished some actually

Organic SO Delicious Creamy Vanilla! mmm I just ate half the quart....

I would really like to try the coconut ice cream I've seen in Stop & Shop, sounds amazing.

I just finished Tofutti's Chocolate Cookie Crunch and, holy crap, I am in LOVE.

patientia

I haven't tried many brands of vegan ice cream because they are not available here. The only available here is Naturattiva, and it is very expensive because it's organic. The same manufacturer makes Valsoia ice cream, which is available in Slovenia, and it is very expensive, too. €8.5 for 1 litre, the amount I can eat in half an hour while returning to Zagreb. Their vanilla ice cream with cherry syrup, vanilla-choco comb and vanilla cones are very tasty. The also have rice ice cream on stick with chocolate couverture, but that isn't that tasty.

In the last few months, I have been buying Spar Vital soy ice cream vanilla, the only available flavour. It's €2 for 1 litre. I mix it with everything, from chestnut puree to peanut butter, to frozen berries.

I tried to make vegan ice cream at home, but I don't know what should I use not to get an ice cube. I guess I have to experiment with starch and agar...

Quote mariana View Post
    Better get ready to eat it out of the tub on the street. I've done it too--it's kind of fun, like a race against time, trying to eat it all before it melts.
    Sounds familiar