Thread: What is wrong with people?

Unhappy What is wrong with people?

I haven't been around for ages, I am just so busy that I've not even been reading the forum, never mind about posting, but this latest news story has just made me so angry/sad that I had to come on here.

Pharmed goats (not posted a link before, so hope it works; if not go on BBC news and you will see it)

Add to that the incessant need to 'cull' anything that might hurt the farming industry (wild birds, poultry, badgers...) and now these idiots that are protesting FOR animal experimentation - I just don't get what's wrong with people.

I know I should try and do something positive - but I just want to go and live on a snowy mountain as far away from people as possible!

Default Re: What is wrong with people?

Well as long as people are happy with battery farming, they are never going to find pharming distasteful. At least there is quite a lot of resistance from the public over GMO - that would give us an angle to attack that kind of thing. You would need to persuade the people that would benefit, though, rather than getting the general public to condemn it - that would just make us look uncaring to the plight of humans.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote PlumsOfDoom
    I know I should try and do something positive - but I just want to go and live on a snowy mountain as far away from people as possible!
    I have felt like this but a warm desert island would be preferable to a snowy mountain lol. To not have any contact with omnis would be great though.

Why not get involved in AR and write letters, go on demos, do information stalls etc. This has helped me a lot with my anger.

Maisie - I would love to get more involved, but I have this kind of '5 year career plan' which basically means I have very little time to have a life and everything gets put off until holiday periods or "in 5 years when I've finished my PhD".

I guess I should try and put aside some time for things I feel so strongly about, but when I am not working or studying I feel guilty knowing there is so much waiting for me to do. I suppose it's all about finding the right balance.

Glad you have found it helps. Maybe one day...

There are too many humanoids out there. Not quite human.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Pilaf

Quote maya
    There are too many humanoids out there. Not quite human.
    Haha..that reminds me of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

Talking Re: What is wrong with people?

there are alot of things wrong with people...

money
    hate
    greed
    racism/sexism/agism/specisism
    ego-centricity

to name a few...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

i know exactly what u mean about people being so selfish. I'm finding it hard to comprehend some people's thinking. However, when someone tries to condone (spelling?) any animal cruelty i always put it to them straight that all animals have rights not to be used for food, entertainment, experimentation etc! I just don't get some people's thinking- i mean before i have any veggie talk with them (as it always mangaes to come up!) they seem alright nice people but then the other day i was talking to someone who took such a conservative, me me me me(!) attitude about how animals are born for our survival and this s**t and now i can't look at her the same way- is that bad that i judge people according to their morals....hmmm maybe not! or maybe im just rambling!

stephanie
    xx

Quote yum
    ... and now i can't look at her the same way- is that bad that i judge people according to their morals....hmmm maybe not! or maybe im just rambling!
    I have the same problem! I can't tell you how many times someone has told me something and I just never bothered to aknowledge them again. Usually I try to change the misconceptions people have, but it's impossible at times!

I figure, since someone chooses their morals, it's much better to judge based on that rather on something arbitrary, like color or sex (certainly not an accusation, just a comparison!)

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

but when i do this (get out off by someone etc) my mum for instance or meat-eaters would say i was being irrational and that 'each ot their own'. I dissagree though- it is certainly not each to their own. My mum (a veggie) saidi can't tel people what to eat and that it is their choice- but it sin't their choice i don't think - i mean who should have the choice to eat an animal- maybe coz i've been veggie for 5years that i've been conditoned/ moralised to think in this way and can no longer understanding meat eaters.

love and peace

stephanie
    xxxx

I keep hearing this phrase "Its my choice to eat meat" It makes me so angry. Next time someone says that I might kill them. Is that MY choice? What about the animals choice? They don't choose to be killed. Meat eaters say such dumb things

tabitha

Meat eaters are very blinkered creatures, they see and hear what they want to. I think they get defensive because they know damn well if they sat down and actually thought about the things that happen to animals they would never eat meat again. BUT they cannot bring themselves to think about that sort of things, so they attack the vegetarians/vegans as being extreme. They need to open their eyes and be honest with themselves because if they were they would see the truth.

I've been rendered speechless more than once on hearing people say: "Well I know it would put me off if I looked into it"

WTF??

Oh well, there there, you just carry on eating your dead animal parts, try not to think about it...
    Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Quote Lily
    I've been rendered speechless more than once on hearing people say: "Well I know it would put me off if I looked into it"

WTF??

Oh well, there there, you just carry on eating your dead animal parts, try not to think about it...
    Yeah, that's what my mom says when I try to bring up the subject. She says she knows about too much sorrow in the world already and can't take anymore. I try to point out that she'd be reducing sorrow and helping her health, but she says she can't do anything about it so she'd rather not know about what happens to farm animals.

As far as "pharming," it's obviously a horrible idea, not only for animal suffering (which would be my main concern), but also for the possibility of making more diseases that could be introduced into the human population. They are also making phamacrops, so plants are also being made into drug-producing "machines," which is another really stupid idea--though at least a farm animal isn't being harmed then unless they feed the plant to a farm animal!
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote jjdaiquiri
    there are alot of things wrong with people...

money
    hate
    greed
    racism/sexism/agism/specisism
    ego-centricity

to name a few...
    I know I'm biased on this one, but some of what's wrong with people is what they eat. I've seen some studies that show that people who eat lots of animal protein are more hormonal and more likely to be aggressive.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh