Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fish in soft drinks!!!

Angry Fish in soft drinks!!!

For those of you who don't already know, i have only just found out thanks to Viva! that Coca-Cola have been using fish as a stabiliser in the following drinks: Fanta orange (and light), Lilt pineapple & grapefruit (and light), Alive Orange Cascade, Kia-ora Orange & Pineapple (and no added sugar).

i'm avoiding anything made my Coca-Cola if possible anyway because of their dubious ethics, and now this. grrrr

Yuck! Tsunami (who sometime's posts here) used to say that they used lard as a de-foamer when making soft-drinks.

That's really grose. That's probably a past tense thing though since most companies no longer use lard in their products for health reasons. My dad talks of the 70's when they'd have to read labels on pastries, etc. to make sure lard wasn't in the food.

Do you have any idea what the fish product is called? Is there any way to identify it on the ingrediants list?

That pisses me off..... Fish, in a soft drink?!?! I think I'll just stick to water x_x

beforewisdom

Thanks for the good info!

Soda over-consumption is a major contributer to the obesity epidemic, the diabetes epidemic, osetoporsis, and tooth decay.

As if anyone needed another reason to avoid drinking soda

I also saw an article recently about soda consumption and a throat cancer, can't find the article though.

the fish ingredient isn't mentioned in the ingredients list, which is why most people never knew about it until now. They just list it as 'stabiliser' i think.

Angry

This is getting me SO pissed off. I'm going to BURN down the coa cola factory in Iceland! BURN BABY BURN!!!!

sorry. I really am sorry for that fit of rage.

Anyway, are the rumours true? Did coka cola put Cocain In their Coke once upon a time? Probably not, but just curious, couse the name certainly suggests it

yes it is true, Coca-Cola used to put cocaine in the drink, until it was banned and they replaced it with caffeine to still give an addictive high (although not as strong obviously).

have a look at this link: www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp

That proves it. They are evil.
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

Yet another reason to avoid soft drinks.

Pembroke: I think the word you're looking for is "isinglass" and iirr, they don't have to list it as part of the ingredients because it's not an actual ingredient - it's only part of the process that enables the manufacturer to obtain the final product. *realises this makes no sense whatever*

On the subject of fizzy drinks, this is an article from The Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation , sister group of Viva! uk.

Get Fizzy - Get Cancer

There are real concerns that fizzy dnnks may contribute to the growing number of deaths from oesophageal (gullet) cancer. Over 7000 people in the UK are killed each year from cancer of the tube that links the stomach to the throat - a figure that has doubled since the 1970s, making this the fifth biggest cancer killer. Over this same period the annual consumption of fizzy drinks has increased from 10 to 24 gallons of the stuff per person.
    Researchers found that countries with the lowest consumption of fizzy drinks, such as those in the Far East, had little increase in oesophageal cancer compared to countries where consumption had risen. A possible explanation is that when fizzy drinks are consumed, the stomach is distended by as much as half a litre and das results in gastric reflux - stomach contents, including acid, splashing back up into die oesophagus damaging its lining. Heartburn has a similar effect.
    The phosphorus found in fizzy drinks is already a known risk factor for osteoporosis (brittle bones) and now we see it is implicated as a possible cause of gullet cancer. Get all the fluid you need from pood old fashioned plain water, diluted rruit puces and plenty of water-packed fruits and veg.

i think they use isinglass, which is the same ingredient used in a lot of beers. most of the coca-cola brand drinks mentioned there use beta-carotene anyway as a colouring, which isn't vegan friendly either way. i don't think isinglass needs to be show as an ingredient, because they only use during the making of the drink, and filter it out before bottling, so it's not actually in the drink when you buy it. dodgy eh?
    "every second lasts a thousand years, every shotglass holds a million tears, every race ends in a brand new start, there's no soul left, but you can take some heart"

apologies there btw! only noticed the earlier post about isinglass when checking my own!hehe
    "every second lasts a thousand years, every shotglass holds a million tears, every race ends in a brand new start, there's no soul left, but you can take some heart"

What about white sugar in Coca cola? How can you confirm if Coca cola is using Vegan sugar in its products.

I don't drink any soft drink/ hard drink..only home made Lemon juice with water. Juice of unriped Mango....mmmmm. Young coconut water. Fruits and Vegetables juices.

Manish Jain

i've actually been in contact with coca cola myself and confirmed that they don't use animal refined sugar in their drinks. i only drink diet coke anyway for health reasons, and as there's no sugar in that, it should be ok!

ConsciousCuisine

"i only drink diet coke anyway for health reasons"

*shudder* Oh, please do read the thread on "artificial sweeteners" and look at this:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

and this:

http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTICLES/9artsweet.htm

lol, i am aware of this! i don't drink gallons of it, maybe a small amount a week if i feel like it! by 'health reasons' i mean that it's better than drinking 12 tablespoons of sugar, so i should probably say 'weight reasons' rather than 'health reasons' i suppose!

i realise this thread hasn't been going for a while, but don't think i'd seen the last few posts and had to say, beta-carotene can be vegan - it's not always carried in gelatine. not sure it's healthy to consume all these food colourings anyway though

as far as sweeteners go, i believe they are probably unhealthy, and have recently found out that many (if not all) of them have been tested on animals at some stage in their development, so i would probably try to avoid them for this reason also.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I stay away from soft drinks they are unhealthy. I mainly drink water. I do make vegetable & fruit juice with my juicer.

Indian farmers have come up with what they think is the real thing to keep crops free of bugs. Instead of paying hefty fees to international chemical companies for patented pesticides, they are reportedly spraying their cotton and chilli fields with Coca-Cola.

As word gets out that soft drinks may be bad for bugs and a lot cheaper than anything that Monsanto, Shell and Dow can offer, thousands of others are expected to switch. Gotu Laxmaiah, a farmer in Andra Pradesh, said he was delighted with his new cola spray, which he applied this year to several hectares of cotton. "I observed that the pests began to die after the soft drink was sprayed on my cotton," he told the Deccan Herald newspaper.

Coca-Cola has had a bad year in India.

Other farmers in Andra Pradesh state accused the company of over-extracting underground water for its bottling plants and a government committee upheld findings that drinks made in India by itself and PepsiCo contained unacceptable amounts of pesticide residue.
    Eve

Default Re: Fish in soft drinks!!!

Can anyone give me a link to a site that explain's Coke's "dubious" ethical policies?

Thanks

Xena

1vegan

Quote Gorilla
    For those of you who don't already know, i have only just found out thanks to Viva! that Coca-Cola have been using fish as a stabiliser in the following drinks: Fanta orange (and light), Lilt pineapple & grapefruit (and light), Alive Orange Cascade, Kia-ora Orange & Pineapple (and no added sugar).

i'm avoiding anything made my Coca-Cola if possible anyway because of their dubious ethics, and now this. grrrr
    Do you have a link for that ?

I did know some soft drinks used fish ingredients to mix in the added vitamins or something simular.

Quote Xenakicksass
    Can anyone give me a link to a site that explain's Coke's "dubious" ethical policies?
    HERES a Coke thread Xenakicksass.

1vegan

Quote Xenakicksass

Thanks

Xena
    http://corpwatch.org/article.php?id=10581

?

speaking of gross drinks....

I was at the grocery store a few weeks ago, in the juice isle, and I saw something called Beefamato. Yes, beefamato. Part tomato juice, part beef broth. Why on earth would someone drink that??? Yuck!
    Overgrow the government!

Ewwww - that's even worse than the Clamato Juice (half tomato half clam juice), that you can buy in bottles up here in Canada.

Thank you gertvegan for the coke thread. Though I must say that it is difficult for me to understand why vegans would drink it anyway - surely for health reasons you'd give it a miss and drink water.
    Eve

Kevster

Clemato juice???!!! I think I am going to be sick!!! I suppose it's not much worse than our Bloody Marys when they add a dash of Worcester Sauce.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to say, that should I have any coke left in my house after a party, I use it to clean the toilet with.

tails4wagging

Shame about this info, about cocoa-cola as it has always been a first aid treatment for rehydration if you get a hangover or a bout of diarrheoa.

Much better off to have a medium size bottle of water if you want to avoid dehydration.
    As for whatever was said about sweetener being less fattening than sugar - those sweeteners in whatever country - are poison. People who feel the need for a sweet drink or food, can ease themselves off the sweet taste. If I have the occasional cup of cocoa, I have no hesitation in adding a spoonful of raw sugar - even the Diabetic Society say it is not harmful for diabetics to do this. Certainly better than poisoning yourself!
    Eve

cross barer

Quote eve
    Thank you gertvegan for the coke thread. Though I must say that it is difficult for me to understand why vegans would drink it anyway - surely for health reasons you'd give it a miss and drink water.
    Well, it is addictive after all. When I was 21 I used to drink 6 litres of coke per day. I switched to aussie owned lemonades to stop drinking coke, but then it was a couple of years before I got off lemonade. I found that I could go without soft drink, but as soon as I had a 'treat' of a coke or lemonade, later that week I would crave it just like I once craved cigarettes. I can't afford to drink that shite anymore, and that's the only reason I managed to stop drinking it at all.

One of the scariest things about soft drinks is they often contain tartrazine (food colouring E102), there is a thread somewhere on the forum describing how fkd up that stuff is.

I never drank huge quantities of fizzy pop, but I don't drink alcohol so when I go out I'd occasionally have a lemonade, or on a sunny day, some Fanta could be fantastic. I made a conscious decision to give up all fizzy drinks about 15 ago for my New Years Resolution, and I haven't touched a drop since, and even though I never drank much anyway, I think I feel much better for not having it. Carbonated stuff is bad for your bones anyway, isn't it!?
    Have always had an idea that coke was evil, even when I was a child!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Sorry, 'Fanta being FANTAstic' was not a deliberate pun!!!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

I also used to be addicted to cola when I was at uni, buying the cheap 19p per bottle from Sainsburys. It made me anxious, aggressive and depressed. My psychology lecturer advised me about the dangers of artificial sweeteners like Aspartame and it's connections with cancers, anxiety and other things. Sorry I don't have any specific links, but am just reiterating what others have said. I only ever drink water (my favourite drink) and since going vegan am planning on only drinking vegan wine when I want to have an alcoholic drink. However, I love vodka and lemonade. Are there vegan vodkas? Sorry - first vegan week and as a vegetarian I didn't have to worry too much about this
    Liz

I am not drinking anything from coca cola, but I thought it was not true about that fish in their drinks, but companies do a lot of weird things...

You must also check your fruit juices. Even if there is 100% juice on it or you think it is vegan (if you check ingredients), then it could be that their is also put fish in it. That is often if the juices have added vitamins.
    Also it can be cleared with gelatin. So watch out! The best thing to do is to make your own juices

Could people please let us know when they find something like this out? Neil and I run the Is it Vegan site. It is much easier to keep up to date if people share information. So now you know we are here! Wahay!

Yes, fishes are used in orange Tango, though the rest are vegan at the moment.

We have updated the site with this info, and are advising people to avoid any drink with betacarotene in it, as the sods don't have any legal requirement to tell us. The person Neil spoke to on the phone said it wasn't his problem if veggies drank it by accident. People should find these things out.

Nice attitude. That means we can't trust them not to change the ingredients in future, so boycott Tango, even the allegedly vegan stuff. We can't trust them not to change at any time!!!
    Last edited by Realfood Mary; Jun 1st, 2005 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typos!

Quote Mozbee
    Your site www.isitvegan.info has good clear info on the baddy drinks. Thanks Mary
    Thanks. Glad you liked it!

Mary

Is this actually true though, that there is fish in soft drinks? Seems too far-fetched!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Sadly yes.

So disappointing. I never drank it much, but it sickens me to think that I was drinking bits of fish. :-(
    Dynamic Harmlessness

What about Dr. Pepper? I've decided to give it up anyway, b/c I always feel like I need one to wake up in the morning and I know that's not healthy. Besides, my teeth need a break.

Can anyone confirm the presence of animal ingredients or use in production for me? I can't find anything. I find that giving something upfor vegan reasons is easier than for health reasons - a bit silly I know - but maybe it'll give me the kick in the pants I need!

I've never drunk fizzy drinks, I can't stand the "taste" or the bubbles, horrible. I only drink water and black coffee. We hardly ever drink fruit juice either, better to just eat fruit.
    I can't believe they put that rubbish in it though - is nothing safe from animal ingredients??????
    Silent but deadly :p

I never much liked fizzy drinks either, it hurts swallowing them down. But mememe, you weren't really drinking little bits of fish. They just used it while processing it, afterwards it was removed or evaporated or something from the drink.

nervine

Quote Xenakicksass

Thanks

Xena
    The Coca-Cola Company murders people..

http://www.killercoke.org/
    http://www.countercurrents.org/glo-h...ttom250703.htm
    http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=3937

Here's a list of brands that are owned by the coca-cola company if you wanna boycott them. I do.

http://www2.coca-cola.com/brands/brandlist.html

mrknifey87

Sigh, I'm just gonna call BS on that right there. I made a lengthy post in the boycott thread about what's wrong with current Coke activism issue, because the idea that Coke murdered people is naive, religious-left crap. Unionists die in Columbia all the time. Did coke know about it? Of course not. They don't even own the plant. Did the plant manager know? Probably. Is Coke dragging their feet on an independent investigation? Yes.

Is there still a very good reason for boycotting Coke? Yes.

Do activists who do shoddy research understand this? No.

Just to update this, received this email today;

Thank you for contacting us in connection with the presence of animal derived products in our beverages.

The products of Coca-Cola Great Britain that do not contain ingredients derived from mammals or poultry. Since some practising vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that the products listed below contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for beta-carotene colour. These products are:

'Fanta' Orange (and Fanta Z)
    'Fanta' Apple Splash
    'Lilt' pineapple & grapefruit (and Lilt Z)
    'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple (and no added sugar)
    'Alive'Orange Cascade
    'Minute Maid' Froot Refresh Orange with Passion Fruit
    'Five Alive' Tropical Hit Fruit Squash
    'Five Alive' Citrus Burst Fruit Squash

Beta-Carotene is a substance that occurs naturally in abundance in fruits and vegetables. It is what gives the yellow-orange fruits and vegetables their colour.

All products are labelled in full compliance with U.K. food labelling requirements.

I would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

nervine

Quote mrknifey87
    Sigh, I'm just gonna call BS on that right there. I made a lengthy post in the boycott thread about what's wrong with current Coke activism issue, because the idea that Coke murdered people is naive, religious-left crap. Unionists die in Columbia all the time. Did coke know about it? Of course not. They don't even own the plant. Did the plant manager know? Probably. Is Coke dragging their feet on an independent investigation? Yes.

Is there still a very good reason for boycotting Coke? Yes.

Do activists who do shoddy research understand this? No.
    You're right. I need to do better research. I'm still too fucking naïve..

Since some practising vegetarians avoid fish products as well
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'