Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Question Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Ok so this may be a uk thing, but do you love MARMITE as the saying goes "marmite my mate" or do you hate it ?

Vegan Esquire

Default hate it!

I have a pretty open mind about new foods, so I didn't think twice before I tried marmite. My Australian friends told me it was the equivalent to peanut butter in the U.S., so I figured I would love it! But no, I do not!

I think they compared it to peanut butter because they use it on sandwiches like we do in the US with peanut butter, but that is where the comparison ends. It is way to salty for me to eat in a sandwich.

I do however, love to cook with marmite. I made some fantastic "meat" pies with TVP chunks which were cooked in marmite broth. It gave the pies a nice flavor.

Marmite probably is consumed as much as peanut butter in in the US. The marmite over here is made by bestfoods so I'm not sure if thats what you tried vegansquiire. Isn't marmite in Australia made by sanitarium, thats different again and not to my taste. Mmmmm marmite.

I loooooooove marmite, it has to be in my opinion 1 of the best inventions EVER! I must eat it almost everyday, and i get cravings for it.

Smile

For me it is vegemite all the way

Geoff

Aussie Marmite is different from the UK one and an acquired taste. I choose it over Vegemite as it's made by Sanitarium, a vegetarian company whereas Vegemite is made by multinational, Kraft. There's also a product called 'Our Mate' which tastes vile!

I got turned on to marmite years ago on a trip to London. I've been eating it ever since. It is a vegan's good friend

love it

Mmmmmm, Marmite

Newbies to Marmite tend to spread too much onto their bread, toast, etc. and are put off for ages, if not for ever. The secret is to spread it thinly.

Favourite Marmite fix? Marmite and potato crisps sandwich.

Afterthought: I tend to use the word "Marmite" as a generic word for yeast extract, much as people refer to vacuuming the carpets as "hoovering" regardless of the make of their vacuum cleaner. These days I buy a different brand as Marmite is, to the best of my knowledge, a Unilever brand and I don't knowingly buy any of their products.
    Last edited by SilverBird; Sep 17th, 2004 at 05:29 PM.

Our Mate is the same as english marmite just the aussie version it is the same company. It sells out within a day of being on the shelf at the main health food store. Lots of english people by it buy the truckload. haha its so expensive to but quite nice. I use the santarium marmite though because it is half the price for double the quantity. if only vegemite had B12 humph.

I use Marmite in cooking....It gives stews and soups a rich flavor. I don't spread it on bread, though. It's too salty for me....

Quote SilverBird
    Afterthought: I tend to use the word "Marmite" as a generic word for yeast extract, much as people refer to vacuuming the carpets as "hoovering" regardless of the make of their vacuum cleaner. These days I buy a different brand as Marmite is, to the best of my knowledge, a Unilever brand and I don't knowingly buy any of their products.
    Yep, me to, so I buy Tesco own brand. I love the stuff and eat it every day. Gorgeous with vegan cheese spread on toast, mmmmmmmm.
    ~I used to be sane but it drove me mad~

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote gertvegan
    Ok so this may be a uk thing, but do you love marmite as the saying goes "marmite my mate" or do you hate it ?
    gert, have you been talking to cedarblue??
    I LOVE Yeast Extract, but will not buy 'Marmite' for the above reason!!

Kevster

I was going to ask them to label it vegan but then saw it was best foods (i think) and then unilever, lots of the big companies use smaller ones that people may not associate with,

K

As a little aside Corona beer (Mexican) sponsor bull fights, which i just found out the other day, don't drink the stuff myself, prefer a little organic sam smiths for the more sophisticated palette.

Geoff

Marmite in Australia is made by Sanitarium, a Seventh Day Adventist company who also make a lot of vegetarian foods. I'll call them to see if they export to 3rd world countries like the UK
    Vegemite is now owned by Kraft so I won't buy it but there are plans by Dick Smith to buy it back. Go Dick!

tails4wagging

My vegan friend jenny spreads marmite thickly like jam on her toast!!!. I like it on warm toast.

Quote moonbeamzzz
    MARMITE IS MADE BY UNILEVER WHO DO ANIMAL TESTING
    No, at least not in Australia; here it is made by Sanitarium, which is a 7th Day Adventist company.
    Eve

Oops, I see that Geoff already answered that one. BTW, I love Marmite.
    Eve

Geoff

Quote eve
    No, at least not in Australia; here it is made by Sanitarium, which is a 7th Day Adventist company.
    A senior moment Eve? (See post No. 18)

WOW eve I never knew P.Morris owned Veggie Mite, not a fan of it myself, I like Marmite and one another note I know the main Marmite Yeast source comes from up the road from here from a large brewary and my mates a lab tech their and he said its all good clean stuff.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

tails4wagging

Snaff, nice to hear Marmite is ok. I love the stuff, nothing else is the same!!.Trouble is it belongs to Unilever and thats another story!!!!!!.

Love

Thumbs up Ethical Alternatives To Marmite

Exactly! As I have said earlier on this post Marmite IS linked to animal testing so we buy Meridian Foods brand yeast extract or Natex brand yeast extract fom Holland and Barrett or any veggie/vegan grocery store.
    With love from Love.XXX.

Kevster

Actually, community food Yeast extract is pretty good, that's the one i get, and Meridian is good too. But that's just my taste.

Quote Love
    Snaffler,Marmite is linked to animal testing
    There are many ethical alterantives to that brand available at places like Holland and Barrett
    With love from Love.XXX.
    Please tell me more about Marmite and animal testing I am curious and unaware of this

thanks

snaff

And me Snaff. I love the stuff, but I might just have to get used to the Meridian Yeast extract if what Love says is true .

Oh, sorry to sound thick, but who is this P. Morris guy?

Quote Love
    Snaffler, Marmite is linked to animal testing
    Are you sure, because I made heaps of enquires and found that unlike other yeast products, Marmite is vegan. One thing to remember is that Australian Marmite is not the same as the UK one. I don't want to boast, but ours is best
    Eve

Quote tails4wagging
    Snaff, nice to hear Marmite is ok. I love the stuff, nothing else is the same!!.Trouble is it belongs to Unilever and thats another story!!!!!!.
    In Australia, Marmite belongs to Sanitarium, owned by the Seventh Day Adventists.
    Eve

Quote Snaffler
    Please tell me more about Marmite and animal testing I am curious and unaware of this
    Snaff, Marmite (in the UK) is owned by Unilever who according to various sources make toiletries, cosmetics and so on which are tested on animals. Marmite itself is vegan though

have a look at this link:

http://www.arkonline.com/animal_test.html#unilever

Unilever's side of the story is here: http://www.unilever.com/ourvalues/en...malTesting.asp

when i found this out i stopped buying new jars of Marmite, but i still have a huge jar i bought ages ago that i'm trying to use up. then i will try the other yeast extracts available.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Many thanks for those links Gorilla. Lots of homework for me

Quote Gorilla
    Snaff, Marmite is owned by Unilever who according to various sources make toiletries, cosmetics and so on which are tested on animals. Marmite itself is vegan though.
    Australian Marmite is NOT owned by Unilever, but by Sanitariam, the vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists.
    Eve

Thanks Gorilla I am reading up now.

Unileavers statement what a joke keep animal testing to a minimum they are trying to dress it up all nicey nice at the end of the day they are being evil sods.....I think I will seriously go back to veggiemite or see what essential make themselves....essential peanut butter is the best so I hope their yeast version is good.

Marmite off the menu then

It's now off my menu.

Reflexology

Default Marmite Is Made By Unilever who test on animals!!!!

Just found this:

4. Who makes it?
    Marmite is a owned by Unilever. It is made by different companies in different parts of the world, and often to a different recipe.
    It is produced in the UK by Unilever Bestfoods UK, and this is the original that you should try and seek out.
    In New Zealand it is made by the Sanitarium Health Food Company (a Seventh-Day Adventist outfit). It is sold in plastic jars with a white lid, and has a different set of ingredients (see above).
    Apart from the addition of Sugar and Caramel, the differences in ingredients are probably just down to the different labeling requirements of the two countries, and are basically the same. The addition of sugar is what gives NZ Marmite its "weaker" (some would say "less rancid") flavor.

Therefore, I shall be either switching to another brand or giving it up completely as I want nothing to do with this evil company!!!!!

Default Re: Marmite Is Made By Unilever who test on animals!!!!

Hi vegan chick.
    Much as I agree in general with your desire to not support bad companies, I don't think that solution is scalable. For myself I see little difference between:

1. Buying good vegan products from a 'good' subsidiary of a large 'bad' company. Thereby providing money to the 'bad' parent who can use the money for whatever they like.
    2. Buying good vegan products from my local health store which pays the wages of a person who could very well go home and have veal for dinner.

If you follow your rational to it's conclusion then you should only buy anything from vegans who do the same, and that's just not practical at present. Without that, you can't help but fund what you are trying to stop..

What you can do is encourage the supply of good vegan products and services, and through that, encourage companies to switch their ethics.
    Vote with your cash, because not buying stuff makes very little difference when there are so few of us. If you treat these subsidiary companies as separate (provided they are run that way) and support them, then you can still do this.
    When there are more of us, then withholding our money from companies will have a much bigger impact. And I'll be right behind you then.

Just my view, but I thought I would share it as it seems relevant to your post.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Default Re: Marmite - love it or hate it ?

I love Marmite. One of my cats has a thing for it too

*will be searching out alternative brands if at all possible after reading this thread though.

it may not be possible to avoid giving money to non-vegans at the moment, but it's certainly possible to avoid buying Marmite if you choose to. i now buy Meridian yeast extract, which i like a lot (although it took a bit of getting used to after years of loving Marmite) and as an added bonus it's fortified with vitamin B12 (which i don't think Marmite is). there are loads of other alternatives too.

Quote Cumin
    When there are more of us, then withholding our money from companies will have a much bigger impact. And I'll be right behind you then.
    no offence intended Cumin, but the same could be said about meat, dairy or any other non-vegan product. we have to start somewhere. but that's a different thread.

Gorilla.
    I wasn't saying that buying marmite was OK, I've not read the lit myself yet (and I'm a marmite eater). I was just saying that it's a hard road to follow. But yes, I agree, where there's an alternative it's still worth doing, just for yourself as much as anything.
    The sticky bit is when it comes to good-ethical companies that get bought up by baddies, but still try to be ethical. I still think we should support them, otherwise they have less reasons to stay with good ethics.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Love it (well yeast extract, which is the same thing)... on toast with scrambled tofu.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

the best ever combination has to be wholewheat toast with marmite and sliced tomato!
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Hate it.

Sometimes I hate it, other times I'm really into it.
    It's great in cooking and sauces

I use the low salt Natex brand.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I (and my cats) also vote for the low-salt Natex. As has already been pointed out you do have to give it a chance; it tastes funny at first if you're used to Marmite but now I prefer it (on taste grounds as well as health and ethics).

Love it, but shall now be seeking alternative.

I tried Marmite for the first time today. I work at a company where about half the employees are British. One of them is vegan (YAY ) and he gave me a bite of a bagel with Marmite on it. I HATED it! He and his coworker laughed as it brought tears to my eyes . The flavour was overwhelming, and so salty that I couldn't stop salivating. Never again!!!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

What about vegemite?

Diana
    akaredarcher
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Quote akaredarcher
    What about vegemite?

Diana
    akaredarcher
    I've always liked Marmite, but Vegemite is always in stock in my cupboards. A favourite snack.

isn't Vegemite made by Kraft though? they're not a company i'd be too happy about supporting either. i've never liked Vegemite much anyway (my aunt lives in Australia and brought some over years before it was widely available here).

Love vegemite mashed in sweet potato. Heard it's not vegan anymore. A Jewish group apparently complained. I miss it!