Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Default Re: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Thanks, Emzy. I will now consider Natex, Meridian or supermarkets' brands as an alternative. I guess we all need to learn at some point...
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

No problem!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote maggielassie View Post
    OMG, Marmite seems vegan. But it's owned by Unilever. Oh, no.

What are the alternative yeast extracts in the UK?
    Personally, I use a super market own brand for that exact reason. It took a while to get used to, but whenever I visit relatives and am fed real Marmite I can't stay I'm staggeringly impressed. It's just different, no better, no worse.

I also sometimes use veecon (the stock paste!) on toast, but it's very salty.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

What's a vegan to do when Marmite is the only brand available in her part of the world?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    What's a vegan to do when Marmite is the only brand available in her part of the world?
    Ask your friends in the UK to send you some! (You can ask this UK friend if you like! )
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Every couple of years I try Marmite (it won't be the Unilever stuff next time) with a naïve feeling of hope, and every time the experience is the same: a relentless descent into brown pungent yeasty horror, followed by crying and shame with a vow never to indulge again. I want to like it but I can't because it's foul and akin to licking a dog's bum*.

*I imagine.
    I’ll call you on your sh*t, please call me on mine. Then we can grow together and make this sh*t-hole planet better, in time. Consider someone else: STOP CONSUMING ANIMALS.

leedsveg

Quote MrWizzle View Post
    Every couple of years I try Marmite (it won't be the Unilever stuff next time) with a naïve feeling of hope, and every time the experience is the same: a relentless descent into brown pungent yeasty horror, followed by crying and shame with a vow never to indulge again. I want to like it but I can't because it's foul and akin to licking a dog's bum*.

*I imagine.
    Well if they ever stop making Marmite-like spreads, and we want to refresh our memory of the taste, we'll know what to try....! (No doubt, Korn will advise us on the B12 content! )

lv

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Ask your friends in the UK to send you some! (You can ask this UK friend if you like! )
    Teehehehe, I was secretly hoping someone would say that. I'll message you on Facebook whenever I need a new jar. Thanks!

i just watched nigella gobble her way through some spaghetti with marmite on the tellybox.

vast wodge of spaghetti
    humongously obscene dollop of butter
    crazy amount of marmite
    pasta water

they all proper stuffed it in
    i'm so confused
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Nigella kind of grosses me out. At the least food she cooks.

Marmite on pasta seems interesting, though.

Default Marmite?

Sorry if this has already been posted - as far as I was aware, marmite is vegan, but they are with a company that is unethical? Is this correct? I usually go for the store's own brand of yeast extract, but was given some marmite a few weeks ago, so would rather it didn't go to waste.

Also, I wanted to try to Meridian yeast extract, but for around £3.99 that's quite expensive for me to pay for it with the risk of it turning out to be something I don't like!! Anyone tried it or have any opinions about it?

Sorry again if this has already been posted somewhere.

I buy store own brand versions, they don't taste quite the same, but are very nice. Sainsburys do a low sodium one.

I'd eat the Marmite. Unileaver aren't going to be harmed by you bunging it in the bin.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Default Re: Marmite?

I have the same problem - do any of the others taste at least similar to Marmite?

I don't think any of the others I've tried tasted that similar. I seem to remember someone saying one of the own-brand ones was quite like Marmite but I can't remember which (would it have been Tesco?).

I usually get the reduced-salt Natex one. I remember thinking it tasted very strange at first but I soon acclimatised.

We just get own brand because it's cheaper. I'd have no problem with marmite though. Natex is really nice but not the evil low-salt one.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Oh no, I had no idea marmite was made by unilever. I'm going to have to look around and find something similar. My Mum gets some from tescos which I think tastes the same, I try not to use tescos if I can help it, they aren't exactly ethical either. So annoying!

Quote harpy
    I seem to remember someone saying one of the own-brand ones was quite like Marmite but I can't remember which (would it have been Tesco?)
    The Tesco own-brand yeast extract does taste very similar to Marmite
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    The Tesco own-brand yeast extract does taste very similar to Marmite
    I bought some this week and I LOVE it. I don't know how I've lived my whole life without trying yeast extract.
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Question Marmite and B12

Hey I have been vegan for 6 months and have only just found out that marmite is apparently a great source of B12 for vegans.
    I didn't even know it was vegan lol.

Does anyone else use marmite as a way of getting B12 into your diet?

Lainey xx
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

I wouldn't say it's a great source considering the quantity of B12 in comparison to the amount you use but it all adds up I suppose. I've got to cut down my B12, the doctor told me off for having too much

According to this site, cheddar cheese, pork ("lean shoulder, broiled") and buttermilk are all excellent sources of B12, and contain 0.5 mcg or more B12 per serving. Roasted duck, mozzarella cheese, and roasted ham contain 0.3-0.5 mcg per serving, and are listed as good sources of B12. Roasted chicken and evaporated milk contain 0.2-0.3 mcg per serving. Do you know how much B12 does your Marmite contain per serving?

ETA - I may have found the answer here: http://www.marmite.com/love/nutrition/nutrition.html : 100g Marmite contains 15 mcg B12, and one 'adult serving' (4 mcg) contains 0.6 mcg. IIRR, Risker takes 100 mcg/day, which equals eg. 200 servings of cheddar cheese, or 250 servings of roasted duck, or 400 servings of roasted chicken - so please do yourself a favour and don't use him as a reference for how much B12 you need. :-D

But - AFAIK, Marmite doesn't contain B12 naturally, it is added to the product, so for B12, you might just as well just use - or combine Marmite - with a supplement.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Oi Korn :P

Actually I was taking 500mcg a day (whoops!). I just think that if you're aiming for 6mcg of 'natural' B12 then the 0.6mcg per serving of added B12 isn't all that much, unless you really really like it and eat loads, but then you'd probably be eating loads of toast too and that can't be good. Like I say though, it all adds up, what with B12 being added to plant milks and margarines etc.

EDIT: Also, I think 4g may be quite a hefty serving if we're talking on toast.

It's commonly thought that we ned to absorb (as opposed to consume) 1.5 mcg B12/day, and we need to eat more than 1.5 mcg in order to absorb that amount. This is a quite high number given that the minimum requirement has been thought to be 0.2-0.25 micrograms per day when absorbed from food, but I assume that this is because we need absorb more than we need exist in order to balance out the effect of common B12 antagonists like eg sugar.

Dr. Herbert said in 1987 that what we need to "sustain normality" is probably within the range of ~0.1 mcg, but still recommended us to consume 10 times that - in other words: 1 mcg/day. B12 is most efficiently in small amounts, so if one should consume, say, 1 mcg/day, the absorption of that microgram is much more efficient if we eat a little B12 (e.g.. 0.33 mcg) at three different meals than if we consume all in one portion.

But I haven't seen all the details why the recommendation has been increased to 2.4 or2.5 mcg/day in many countries. I believe the reason some people want to set it as high as 6 mcg/day, is that 6 mcg/day is to be considered enough even if all the 6 micrograms are eaten in one portion - even for postmenstrual women, according to a report. People over 50 need more B12 than those under 50.

This topic, btw, has been discussed many times, e.g. in this, this and this thread.

There are nobody out there who has suggested that we all should take as much as 100 mcg/day, so Risker's 500 mcg day is off all reliable recommendatins (just like his views on organic and raw food!!! . Even if Risker actually is a postmenstrual women (her high intake of B12 could possibly explain her beard), 500mcg day is way too much, and would equal 2000 servings of roasted chicken. I have nothing against postmenstrual women, but I surely wouldn't fancy dating a woman, post-menstrual or not, eating that much chicken even if I wasn't a vegan. .-]

The highest minimum recommendation I've seen from one person - who,for the records, disagrees with 'the rest of the world' is 25 mcg/day. The Vegan Society also has high recommendations: Either 3 mcg spread over at least two meals a day, one supplement containing 10 mcg/day, or one weekly supplement of 2000 mcg.

More here and here, and here's a interesting article from vegetarian.org.uk:
    B12 and the Vegan Diet
    All You Need To Know About Vitamin B12 in Vegetarian and Vegan Diets
    By Dr Justine Butler

Quote Korn View Post
    There are nobody out there who has suggested that we all should take as much as 100 mcg/day, so Risker's 500 mcg day is off all reliable recommendatins
    I had good reasons for taking such a high dose, which I won't go in to. I certainly wasn't recommending anyone else do it.

Quote Korn View Post
    (just like his views on organic and raw food!!! .
    In YOUR opinion.

Sure.

I'm not critizing anything. I just want to make it clear that nobody really suggests that vegans or non-vegans with no particular special conditions generally need 500 or 100 mcg B12/day.

Is Marmite 100% Vegan? Does anyone have any suggestions on other Sandwich spreads?

Quote mahesh_mehta View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on other Sandwich spreads?
    Link: Favourite vegan sandwich filling / bread spread?

;-)

Hi Risker

How did you know you were taking to much? Was it just because of a blood test or did it effect you in some way?

I have no idea how much I get as I just rely on supplements in soya milk and margarine. I eat both daily so hope I'm getting about the right amount.

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    Hi Risker

How did you know you were taking to much? Was it just because of a blood test or did it effect you in some way?
    Yup, blood test. Fortunately the consequences and treatment for having too much seem to be a lot nicer than having too little. I was just told to stop taking supplements for a week and then reduce the amount I supplemented by after that.

OK I know I'm the only person in the entire universe that likes Natex, but has anyone noticed it in the shops recently, please?

Our local H&B said it's been "delisted" but couldn't say if that meant discontinued or just not stocked by them. OH appears to have located some on Amazon, of all places, but presumably that could be an end-of-line type of thing. Hope not, as it's the only low-salt one that I'm aware of.

I like it! Goodness Direct has some. Suma just has the low-salt one which isn't a good sign with regards to the full salt ones availability. There's some original flavour on Amazon too, but it ain't cheap! There's quite a few places selling it if you search using google shopping but they're all expensive with shipping included.

EDIT: Infinity Foods (wholesale) has some.

Quote harpy View Post
    OK I know I'm the only person in the entire universe that likes Natex, but has anyone noticed it in the shops recently, please?

Our local H&B said it's been "delisted" but couldn't say if that meant discontinued or just not stocked by them. OH appears to have located some on Amazon, of all places, but presumably that could be an end-of-line type of thing. Hope not, as it's the only low-salt one that I'm aware of.

I like it too. I find it in Healthy Pulses, don't know whether there are more shops all over the uk or not.

Thanks Risker and Jara.

I think OH has ordered some of the expensive stuff online to keep us going but will have to try some of the other healthfood shops round here. Never heard of that one, Jara, is it nice?

Don't understand, sorry for my english. Healthy pulses is a shop. You mean if the shop is nice? Yes, I like it a lot, the problem for me it has lots of stuff for growing muscles and this kind of things that I'm not interested in.

http://www.healthypulses.co.uk/

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry for not expressing it clearly. I agree it's annoying when they devote space to body-building stuff instead of vegan food!

Meridian do a no added salt one(if you need a low salt yeast extract)...it takes a bit of getting used to if you've been on the full-salt one, I prefer it now. My local H&B had it until recently and you can order it from Revital online in the UK.
    I used to like Natex but I could find any info on if it was vegan or not.

Thanks, I think I've had the Meridian one in the past and quite liked it (ETA though obviously forgot it was low in salt) so I will see if I can find that.

Various online shops etc list Natex as vegan e.g. http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/7...-low-salt-225g http://www.kintrafoods.com.au/natex.htm (is that last one the manufacturers?) I can't remember whether I ever wrote and asked. (ETA the empty jar says "no animal ingredients" though I admit that can be open to interpretation.)

As you say once you're used to a low-salt one the others don't taste right, and most people can do with less salt in their diets.
    Last edited by harpy; Sep 21st, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Natural grocery has Essential yeast extract, I've never tried it but it appears quite low in salt (about 4%), they also appear to have Natex in stock.

Also Sainsburys does a reduced salt yeast extract which is vegan (I emailed to find out)

Thanks, Firestorm - the Sainsbury's one could be the answer then, though will have to force other half to go in there as our one gives me the heeby-jeebies

I have had a really nice one in Germany that has herbs and stuff added. Am going soon so might have to take an extra suitcase.

Have heard that in the large-scale production of yeast extract hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide are used to crack yeast cells, not sure what the health consequences are but it doesn't sound very appetising!

Am thinking of giving Essential Vitam-R a try, which is made using natural enzymes in the yeast. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it? I used to be a stalwart marmite fan but of late am finding it a bit chemically tasting and salty these days so looking for an alternative (also don't want to be supporting Unilever)
    when everything changes...change everything

Hi everyone, just thought I'd give an update now we've tried the Essential Vitam-R.

It had a much lighter, nuttier flavour than Marmite and was noticeably less salty. We didn't immediately think mmm! but may be an acquired taste so will keep trying (esp as we have a whole jar to get through!). A bit disappointed that it contains no Vitamin B12 (bought online so couldn't check the label beforehand).
    when everything changes...change everything

Default Re: Marmite - love it or hate it ?

Love, love, love it! But I was born and raised in England! Use it on bread and butter and also to make gravy!

Got a 500ml jar of Marmite brought over from home... everything I cook now has Marmite in it!
    Houmous atá ann!