Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Default Re: Marmite - love it or hate it ?

Quote catmogg
    Love it (well yeast extract, which is the same thing)... on toast with scrambled tofu.
    This is the way I most prefer yeast extract. Scrambled tofu would be a pale shadow of itself without it.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Yogini

I'm a gringa who just bought my first jar of Marmite. Tried it in a stew and liked it. Tried it spread thinly toast and it was bit too much.

Two questions: 1) Do I need to refrigerate it after opening? Since it's so salty, I'm not sure. Keep in mind I live in New England in an apartment with no air conditioning whose kitchen gets very hot and humid in the summer. 2) How long does it keep?

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for this thread. I had a bit bottle of Marmite in the front of my cupboard thinking it was Vegan. The animal free shopper which is endorsed by the Vegan Society advertises Marmite as being Vegan. I suppose it is strictly a Vegan product for all intense and purposes however when you dig a little deeper and go into the Marmite website you find out that they're are owned/run by Unilever. When you do a search in Google on Unilever animal testing then a site comes up saying that Unilever do animal test! There is no beating around the bush as they clearly state this on their website!! So I won't be using any more Marmite and will be researching alternatives. Thank you again for this thread. Many people in the UK were brought up on Marmite! Little do we know? Thank god we have this community so that we can share these things and educate ourselves.
    Cheers guys!
    Steve.

friendly fri

Wink Re: Marmite - love it or hate it ?

one alternative is low salt Natex, you ought to be able to get it in any health store..but i bet you struggle, as i,ve not seen any for years..yet ive just checked out natex savoury spread on google...its there

My local health food store does it, but I'm not keen on it. Then again, I dodn't like broccoli at first...

Quote friend
    one alternative is low salt Natex, you ought to be able to get it in any health store..but i bet you struggle, as i,ve not seen any for years..yet ive just checked out natex savoury spread on google...its there
    hmm...im sure ive seen that in holland & barrett.

Quote spjessop
    My local health food store does it, but I'm not keen on it. Then again, I dodn't like broccoli at first...
    yuck..i still cant stand broccoli..

Default Re: Nutritional Yeast - B12 in UK

What's the Meridian one like? The Natex one tastes waxy to me.
    Last edited by flutterby; Feb 1st, 2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: moved from the Nutritional Yeast - B12 in UK thread

Probably closer to Marmite, as it's more salty and sticky.

I can't really remember what Marmite tastes like but I think most people that liked that would like the Meridian one. The Natex one is healthier, but more of an acquired taste.

I think I'll check it out then, thanks.

i like Meridian yeast extract, it's the only one i've been buying for the last couple of years.

eta: the low-salt Meridian one is nasty though IMO, so i buy the regular one.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I love marmite... especially on toast, on a Sunday morning.

mmmmmmmmmmm.... 'dry' roast potatoes, boiled first in marmite stock.

I must try that.

I love Marmite.

I love Roast Potatoes.

It stands to reason that I'll also love Marmite Potatoes.

I’d never heard of marmite until my cousin from Australia sent some to us in a package, something we often do. I have to say it was the most terrible thing I had ever tried. No offense!

LOVE IT! Put a teaspoon of the stuff in your pasta while it's still cooking! Delish!
    ~ Every day is Earth Day!!!! ~

Default Re: Vegan snacks

C'mon, ya can't beat good ol Aussie VEGEMITE* on toast!! It's the mutts nutts! No hang on, we're all Vegan ere, I'm not suggesting we eat the nutts of any mutts (ewww, I don't like where my own tangent is going )...but I DO highly recommend the vegemite...Full of delicious and nutritous B12..

*Just be sure to look for the kosher "K" on the label if you're eating/buying it in Oz, coz it aint Vegan there 6months of the year...Bizaare but true (the have a bi-annual rotation of the vats it's made in and for half the year they use vats previously containing meat products ) Yeah, kinda weird, and I'm sure they sterilize it, but still, I personally wouldn't eat it at those times, on principle alone, as well as the ick factor.

That aside, go VEGEMIIIIIITE!!
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 13th, 2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: moved from the Vegan snacks thread

How does it compare with the Meridian stuff, lakini? I like that.

I tend to have the Natex one mostly though. It's a bit stronger than the others but it's lower in salt so you can eat more of it without shrivelling up
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Hi Pob,

I'm afraid I haven't heard of Meridian or Natex, so I can't compare, sorry..but now that you've brought them to my attention I shall have to hunt them down...Mind you, I'm already a shrivelled prune so I could be beyond help!!

What do those two spreads taste like? Are they in the same vein as Marmite (and vegemite)?

Lakini

we use meridian yeast extract..tbh i don't see there's that much difference taste wise between that and marmite, though it is a while since i've been near marmite. the good thing about meridian YE is that it's a massive jar..hahahah
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

"Large jar"...now ya talking my language emmap!! I spread my Vegemite on waaay more than is strictly neccessary, but I like it that way

This meridian stuff, I'm definitely gonna check it out. It's probably been sitting right there in my local healthfood shop staring at me for years but the patriot in me always heads straight for the mighty 'mite without seeing what else is on offer

i like Meridian yeast extract, i haven't had Vegemite since my aunt brought some over from Oz, back in the days when you couldn't get Vegemite here i don't think i liked it particularly.

Maybe your tastebuds will be older and wiser now? Shall I bring a nice big jar of it to the bristol fayre and force feed you til you grow to love it? (Hey, just doing my bit for the Aussie economy!!)....But in seriousness, this meridian stuff is getting good press ere, so i will hunt it down on my next shop

I like the Meridian stuff (and also Community, though I haven't seen that in a while. Both very similar), but I think they're both thicker and can be a bit grainier than Marmite. I also think that all of those are less sweet than Vegemite.

I have only tried Vegemite a couple of times, it was a bit mild and sweet for my liking, sort of like Gouda to Marmite's mature Cheddar, if I may be allowed to make an unvegan comparison?

"Marmite" is the greatest thing ever *she says munching on a crisp bread with marmite thickly spread*.

When I was little my Mum made us "marmite dominos". White bread marmite sandwich, cut into little domino shapes with splodges of marmite for the dots

Good sperm

I used to, but since it's made by Unilever I don't eat it. And I don't like any of the non-animal tested multinational corporate b*stard versions

Quote Linxie View Post
    When I was little my Mum made us "marmite dominos". White bread marmite sandwich, cut into little domino shapes with splodges of marmite for the dots
    Surely it should be thickly spread marmite with spaces for the dots?

I loooove it. I have one jar in my cupboard at work, and one in my cupbard at home for when the cravings are needed.

Quite liking the sound of that Vegcurry, might have to give it a whirl sometime
    I like football. And potatoes.

Quote Frosty View Post
    I loooove it. I have one jar in my cupboard at work, and one in my cupbard at home for when the cravings are needed.
    Me too
    Dancing in circles on the kitchen floor

Default Re: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian etc yeast extract - love it or hate it ?

Nope, I tried the Natrex and it's not like marmite at all - absolutely vile
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Re: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian etc yeast extract - love it or hate it ?

Mmmmmmm vegemite... I have a friend with family in Sydney who brings me a big jar every year!

cobweb

I love all of them, mostly use the supermarket own brand yeast extracts (*suspects that they are really marmite though *)
    Dog loves marmite sarnies, too

I've just bought the Natex and think it is absolutely foul. I can't face trying it again and now have a jar of it sat in my cupboard!!

Monday x

It is very strong and definitely an acquired taste. I mostly use it in cooking.

It makes lovely gravy or stock, so you could use it up that way.

I stir half a teaspoon into half a pint of Applefords reduced salt gravy as I'm cooking it. It makes it much richer and meatier. (I also add in sage, marjoram, onions or onion powder, basil, parsley, and a dash of vegetable oil). That makes the best vegan gravy ever!

I use it in making cheeze sauce, too.

Quote Pob View Post
    It is very strong and definitely an acquired taste. I mostly use it in cooking.

It makes lovely gravy or stock, so you could use it up that way.

I stir half a teaspoon into half a pint of Applefords reduced salt gravy as I'm cooking it. It makes it much richer and meatier. (I also add in sage, marjoram, onions or onion powder, basil, parsley, and a dash of vegetable oil). That makes the best vegan gravy ever!

I use it in making cheeze sauce, too.

Ooh, Pob, YUM! If you should open a restaurant please make sure I'm first to know!! Making me hungry at this hour?!
    ~ United we stand..Divided we fall ~

I friend of mine proudly presented me with some Natex when I went over to visit one day. She was so pleased that she could offer me something to eat, I didn't have the heart to tell her I couldn't stand the stuff! Anyway, several visits later and I actually acquired a taste for it. It's definately not marmite, but I guess it's healthy, lower in salt and more vegan friendly
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

What exactly does marmite taste like? I'm curious and plan on buying some soon, but is it like British miso or what? I imagine it to be similar to miso, so I was wondering what everyone else here had to say ab the taste of marmite as compared to that of miso's.

Twiglets are marmite flavoured (but not vegan). So if you've ever had them....

It's quite meaty and salty, and leaves a taste like very ripe cheese in your mouth. That's the best way I can describe it.

Mmm well in that case it sounds perfect for sandwiches, although I am a little concerned about the MSG issue.

Meridian recalls Marmite taste wise, minus the Unilever connections of course. However both are very high in salt so Natex "salt reduced" tastes entirely different and isn't as moreish.

Aren't miso and soy sauce full of msg, too? I think in most things like that the proteins are split into the sodium salts of the constituent amino acids.

You only use a tiny amount of yeast extract at a time, so I wouldn't think it was a huge issue. Tomatoes are natural sources of free glutamate, and although much lower in concentration, the serving size is much larger.

They are (miso and soy sauce) but I avoid them, mostly because of the high sodium content. But I did purchase my first jar of marmite at the Whole Foods where I work and I liked the taste alot ... mmmm dots on toast. But I'll probably eat it very sparingly now and then, yummy as it is.

Hmm...i don't know, I've never tried it but it looks and sounds horrible. Black jelly on toast? I should try it but it seems like a definite acquired taste.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

I used to love Marmite but stopped buying it when I found out it was made by Unilever, as already pointed out. I now eat Vegemite which is made by Kraft - does anyone know if that is ok? I really like it. I have tried Natex but I found it absolutely disgusting and couldn't get used to the taste.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Kraft are dodgy too. Very big on GMO.

Get the Meridian one. It's available from health food shops and is much closer to Marmite and Vegemite. The Natex one is best for using in cooking for making a rich gravy.

Meridian make a lot of vegan foods (mostly labelled), and are a much better to company to support in my opinion.

Thanks - I will look out for it in Holland & Barrett.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

i've not seen the meridian one. i love marmite and vegemite but refuse to buy them due to their makers. however my jar of natex is sitting in the cupboard only coming out for stews and casseroles, as, as others have said, it is foul
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get Meridian yeast extract at the Vegan Festival?

Probably not at the festival itself, but if you're out and about in London there are a million healthfoody shops that will sell it
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Me and Corum were torn because marmite is our only source of vit B12 as we don't eat/drink fortified foods but marmite is *spit, cough* Unilever.
    Problem solved - we went to Morrisons this evening and bought their own brand yeast extract - it is a tad more yeasty than marmite but quite yummy and vegan - hurray!
    I'm sure it must be new because I've never seen it before and it's quite cheap too.
    We tried natex - even the cat wouldn't touch it and Smoky will eat anything!!!
    Silent but deadly :p