Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

RebeccaDye

Default Re: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian etc yeast extract - love it or hate it ?

Couldn't Love It More!

Default Re: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian etc yeast extract - love it or hate it ?

Been using supermarket own brand yeast extract in a lot of stocks and soups and in the water used for boiling veg recently. Only a teaspoon or two, but I recommend it, adds a little bit of flavour
    I like football. And potatoes.

I do like yeast extract - was using Vegimite until I read this thread - own brand stuff it is then!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

RebeccaDye

Excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with Unilever?

They test chemicals on animals
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

RebeccaDye

Damn!
    I'll have to research that, thanks.
    (I just got back from visiting my grandparents in Luton )

BIG UP THE LUTON MASSIVE! Where abouts (area wise) did you visit!?

RebeccaDye

Well my grandparents live in Bedford, but we did some shopping in Luton.
    George Street possibly?!
    Sorry dunno exactly.

I live about 100metres from there! Awesome!

RebeccaDye

Wow nice one!

Hi all
    Very interesting debate, and as a lover of the yeast products, thought Id come and throw my 2 penn'orth in. Like most people here, probably a Marmite lover naturally, but then the whole Unilever issue comes up to ruin life. So heres some thangs to maybe make the decision easier/harder.

Straight from Marmites webpage:

In Britain, most major supermarket chains sell an own-brand "Yeast Extract", which is the most similar (ingredients-wise) non-Marmite spread you can buy. It is generally a lot cheaper than the real thing, but not for the purists.
    Source: http://www.ilovemarmite.com/marmite-faq.asp

Kraft Vegemite is suitable 6 months of the year - check if there's a K by the use-by date - if so it's OK. (The other 6 months they make a meat product using same equipment).
    Source: http://www.vegsoc.org.au/faq.asp

Hope that helps everyone a little bit. Personally Id want to inspect vegemites factory myself, and theyd have to clean the whole factory for a week in nothing but acid for that vegemite to be edible. Its gipping that.......

So yes thats a supermarket own brand for me. Good luck to everyone else on the yeast extract hunt.

Also, while being helpful an all that, try these as a nice yeasty bonus:
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...act__110g.html

As for Walkers Marmite crisps, according to this site, they arent vegan, good site to double check, and the majjor brands listed for easy reference:
    http://www.isitveggie.com/

Thx all for the info. Happy veganism y'all.

I'm another yeast extract lover (except for Natex for some reason) and love miso too which is not dissimilar in taste.
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Love it all, nice with cucumber

Hemlock - Morrisons is my favourite too, it reminds me of Marmite as it was when I first started eating it!

Nevyn - that's so weird about Vegemite. Glad I never got into it.
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

seitan

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    They test chemicals on animals
    that and SO much more.
    unilver are evil.

seitan

oh dear, nobody has had vitmar????? that stuff is WAY better than any of the above mentioned. it is really creamy, and, just amazing!
    it is now packaged by essential, and i think may only come under their name now. its in the usually yeast size jar, wait......http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/785406b.jpg

There were samples of that given out at the Bristol Vegan Fayre.

It's pretty nice, but there's no B12 added to it, unlike most of the other yeast extracts.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I love the NZ/Aus version of Marmite but don't like the UK one, will have to try some of the other brands and see if there is one I like.

your link doesn't work, seitan. i'm sure some people have mentioned Essential yeast extract here before.

I never got around to trying a yeast extract spread. The supermarket here used to sell a tiny bottle of Marmite but I never bought it because it was expensive as hell and owned by Unilever. But they've redesigned their store with a bigger "British foods" section but lo and behold, Marmite is no longer there! You'd think it would be there.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

I LOVE IT!

In sandwiches with vegan cheese and crisps. I spread it an inch thick on toast and add it to plain boiled rice.

I got it sent in food parcels from home when I live in America and south east Asia, as it wasn't that easy to find in the shops. But times are a changing. . .
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

since i found about unillever (on this forum) i buy morrisons own yeast extract now, it tastes the same

i used to live of vegemite since i was a kid then i went of it for a while.
    now i use freedom foods vege spread i love it (although its yeast free) but its vegan and has a similar taste i get it from the health food isle when we do food shopping
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

I'm not a massive fan of Lever so I don't buy Marmite - but I looooove Vegemite! I can go through a whole jar in one sitting.

Quote Corvus View Post
    I'm not a massive fan of Lever so I don't buy Marmite - but I looooove Vegemite! I can go through a whole jar in one sitting.
    I'm almost certain Kraft (the guys who make/own Vegemite) are into some pretty dodgy stuff aswell.

I LOVE Meridian yeast extract, but supermarket own brand is just as good!

helen105281

Mar,ite and vegemite = evil mother companies
    Natex- Good for stock icky on toast
    Meridian- Just right!

Quote XxsarahxX View Post
    .... i get it from the health food isle when we do food shopping
    Where is this mystical health food island you speak of?

I agree with helen105281 Essential brand is good on toast, too.

I had no idea about marmite. I will be grateful once I have recovered from the shock. Should have worked it out for myself though.

Blerg. I think it's disgusting and it stinks! I can't be around anyone who eats it.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

toast-pure-marmite-homemade pink grape fruit marmalade= mega yum!

I used to hate it, now I like it. (emmap's gushing reviews made me try it again recently.)
    Palate changing with age I guess!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Vegan cheese, vegemite and tomatoe toastie with herbal tea.
    Last edited by 1gentlemaorispirit; Jan 25th, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Another brain fart, I forgot to type vegemite. Geez, I'm wrung out today!
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Marmite is all I can get here... good on rice cakes

I got mine from an Indian store in Milan

daveshorty

Default Re: Yeast extract: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian etc - love it or hate it

Does anyone happen to know where I can buy supermarket-own-brand yeast extract in Belfast or N. Ireland generally? I won't buy Marmite after discovering the Unilever thing and the Meridian and Natex both taste awful so I'm trying to find own-brand substitutes but all the supermarkets I've tried in Belfast don't stock the stuff!

Default Re: Yeast extract: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian etc - love it or hate it

I heard on the grape vine that Suma do a version of it.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Asda make their own version. Do they not stock it in the Belfast branch?

daveshorty

Oh i'm not sure actually, i haven't tried Asda. although tesco and co-op both let me down... I'm gonna give Asda a go tonight! I wish you could mail-order supermarket stuff....there wouldn't happen to be a way to do that, would there?

daveshorty

they didn't have it =(
    i'm goin mad without my yeast extract! suma don't make one do they?

*live*&*let*live

Dry heave's and makes a retching noise. ummm, that would be a no thankyou! Can't stand the stuff

Love it! I just wish it wasn't so salty.

I can only find marmite in my area. Do you really spread it that thinly because the container is SO small. Its also $6.75 a package which is a a lot, so I cannot bring myself to buy it. So perhaps someone can give me more insight on it I might buy some on my next shopping trip.

^You definatly want only a thin layer. It's very salty, and has a strong flavour. Many first time marmiters make the mistake of putting it on like butter or cheesespread or something.

Oliver Oil

I'm a Marmite convert.

I used to find it too bitter, salty and unpalatable for my taste until recently when I caught a cold and suddenly got a craving for it. Bizarre.

I agree with what has been said by other folks earlier in this thread that the secret to enjoying Marmite is to spread it very thinly. My favourite way to eat it at the moment is on toast with some vegan margarine.

Very disappointed to learn that Unilever partakes in animal testing, but I'm not ready to give up the Marmite until I find an equally delicious alternative. The search begins today ...

We have Marmite in Canada and it seems to be a love or hate thing. I use it as a seasoning in soups, gravy, seitan, etc., so a small jar lasts me quite a while.
    To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -Buddha

Is Natex vegan? How do you know? They used to label it as vegan but I assumed it wasn't now as it just says vegetarian. Isn't there some problem with the yeast extract some companies using being a by product of the brewing industry and maybe not vegan?

Quote seitan View Post
    oh dear, nobody has had vitmar????? that stuff is WAY better than any of the above mentioned. it is really creamy, and, just amazing!
    it is now packaged by essential, and i think may only come under their name now. its in the usually yeast size jar, wait......http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/785406b.jpg
    Linky no worky. :smile:

Anyway, I like fairly soft bread, lightly toasted, spread with Pure organic marge, put back under a very low grill while I spread the second slice (!), put that under the very low grill while I spread barely any Vecon over the first slice.

Vecon is strong, like all the others, but just the hint on buttered (margerined?) toast gives such a kick. I love it.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I try my best to avoid Vegemite because I'm against Kraft.

I love Marmite. It's yum.

I just got marmite at the supermarket without looking at the label, its produced by unilever wouldn't that make it non vegan friendly now.

I used to buy Marmite the whole time. I'm trying out Natex at the moment as an alternative to funding Unilever.

"Ingredients: reduced salt yeast extract, vegetable extract, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B12. Approved by the Vegetarian Society, free from animal ingredients."

Seems vegan to me.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Well the ingredients are fine. Just unilever are huge supporters of animal testing. So in that sense. Unless the UK one is different. I thought they were the same thing though