Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Default Re: Yeast extract: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian etc - love it or hate it

^ Oh, yes that was my reason for not buying it. The ingredients listed above are for Natex, but imagine that Marmite are very similar.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Default Re: Yeast extract: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian etc - love it or hate it

I wouldn't say Marmite is non-vegan because it's owned by Unilever, although I personally avoid Unilver products. In the past when I've accidentally bought a product owned by a company I'm trying to boycott my approach has been to use up the product I've bought (if I'm unable to return it), but to never buy it again. This may be a case of double standards, as if I accidentally bought some non-vegan food there's no way I'd eat it, but I'm happy with it.

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    I just got marmite at the supermarket without looking at the label, its produced by unilever wouldn't that make it non vegan friendly now.
    there's been a lot of discussion about this throughout this thread already.

firstly earthsista is in Australia and Marmite isn't produced by Unilever over there so it's not an issue for her.

it's really up to the individual whether they boycott Unilever or not - in some cases i think it's ok to buy vegan, non-animal tested products from not-so-ethical companies if there isn't a better alternative. the Vegan Society even certify some products like this e.g. Original Source. personally i've been using Meridian yeast extract for a few years and i'm happy with it, and wouldn't go near Unilever products intentionally (i occasionally forget they own some common household brands that are vegan).

unfortunately though, i'm finding Meridian yeast extract quite hard to come by at the moment. there are plenty of stores that stock a wide range of Meridian fruit spreads and nut butters, and other yeast extracts such as Natex and Essential, but no sign of the Meridian yeast extract for some reason
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Marmite in Australia is owned by Sanitarium and not Unilever, so I'm relieved.

We boycotted Meridian Foods for years and years as they were owned by Greencore; apparently Meridian is now independently owned so maybe I'll go back to them.

Does anyone have any positive information about this?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

i'd never even heard of Greencore - had to Google them.

i've always been under the impression that Meridian were ethically owned, but perhaps i was mistaken. needs a bit more research i guess.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

It's really hard trying to keep up with what's ethical and what's not, especially if you're trying to be green too AND vegan! It's one of the reasons I try my very best to keep my food simple and eat as much of our own produce as possible - it makes for an easier life!

Meridian were independent, got bought out by GC, and then had a management buyout a couple of years ago, afaik.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

So many stuff over here is owned by unilever.... its so frustrating.

Quote DavidT View Post
    It's really hard trying to keep up with what's ethical and what's not, especially if you're trying to be green too AND vegan! It's one of the reasons I try my very best to keep my food simple and eat as much of our own produce as possible - it makes for an easier life!
    indeed. do you make your own yeast extract?

Life's too short!

I love Vegemite!

Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

i ordered some essential yeast extract today..a fiverish a jar .but soo nice. two weeks on thursday and i go pick up..woo!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

LOVE marmite, I spread it as thick as most people would do with chocolate spread lol. I hate vegemite etc though, they taste weird to me.
    Last edited by Mollfie; Mar 10th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

leedsveg

The taste of yeast extract spreads always reminds me of the taste of the brown jelly gunge that you get at the bottom of a bowl of beef dripping*.

*It's called mucky fat in Yorkshire. (Ee! I do feel common, having revealed that. )

lv

Kimberlily1983

I've never had marmite, but I love nutritional yeast flakes sprinkled on top of soups, and on whole wheat toast with hummus. Is it at all similar to nutritional yeast flakes? Sounds like it's something spreadable from what people are saying here...

patientia

I love nutritional yeast. I have bought some yeast extract spread, but only tasted a little bit. It's so umami.

I can only find Marmite in stores here. Yeast extract spreads are not popular here.

I looooooove it and I can eat it straight off the spoon. (Yes, I use a spoon to scoop more savoury goodness than a silly little butter knife tip).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i tried marmite once

i almost died from the vileness that is that evil crap x_x
    i wish it was raining

So did you like it or not, convectuoso?

A lot of British people are brought up on the stuff, I wonder if that's the main difference between those who like it and those who don't? Though I don't imagine Tigerlily was brought up on it!

I never had it growing up and hated it for many years but have recently developed a taste for it.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

That's interesting Marrers! Actually now I think about it I do know one other person who developed a taste for it in adulthood so that's another theory down the pan

I only tried it for the first time four months ago!

I love it. I've only just had dinner and this thread is making me want to pop some toast in and grab the yeast spread.

RubyDuby

I never had it growing up. I like it spread thin on toast and covered with grape jelly. mmmm
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I bought some marmite recently and have been afraid to try it!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

RubyDuby

It's like bouillion- have you tried Better Than Beef or Better Than Chicken?
    It's like that, but almost solid.

Yes, I have tried both of those.
    So it tastes like bouillion before adding water?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

RubyDuby

I think so, yes. But... beer-ier.

more beer-like.

I love Marmite but like a lot of Brits I was regularly fed it as a kid. My Mum would send me to school with Marmite and cheese sandwiches or Marmite on Ryvita crackers.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I've had marmite on toast for breakfast every single day (except when I don't eat anything for breakfast or I'm not at home, which is rare) since I was about....6 years old? I love the stuff so much that often when I get hungry, it's the first thing I crave

Okay, so I finally tried my marmite this morning. I had a bagel and experimented with toppings. I tried different combinations of marmite, raspberry jam, and hummus.
    I think I have decided that I am not a fan of marmite and jam together...although it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be upon first tasting marmite. I could eat it. I think I liked the marmite and hummus combination...but I cant' really decide if I liked it better than eating a bagel with just hummus on it.

So...more experimenting is needed.
    Any other suggestions?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I like it on top of margarine which has sunk into toasted bread (although it isn't actually marmite brand that I use, I've never tried the real marmite).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I like it on top of margarine which has sunk into toasted bread (although it isn't actually marmite brand that I use, I've never tried the real marmite).
    Hey Marrers, you stole what I was going to say!!
    But you're right, it's absolutely amazing on toast with some butter or margarine, it's definately worth giving it a try fondducoeur!

I absolutely love Marmite, especially melted into some Pure sunflower spread on chunky delicious toast!
    Its a common thing to find in the supermarket here because we get so many English brands but I only tried it for the first time a couple of months ago. My friends are appalled, their attitude is 'I've never tried it but my god it looks so horrible that I never will'!
    The mistake I made the first time I tried it was eating it straight out of the jar! Don't do that!
    I'm intrigued by the suggestions of adding it to rice or pasta, I will definately give it a go!
    I'm coming to the end of my first ever jar of Marmite (should I keep it as a souvenir?) and am looking for a more ethical alternative. I think I'll give the Meridian one a go. It sounds nicer than Natex, which has been so appetisingly described as waxy.

Also, that extra-Marmitey Marmite sounds insanely delicious!
    Houmous atá ann!

Here's something I love to do using marmite or other yeast spreads................buy a roll of ready made puff pastry...........spread a thin layer of marmite on it, sprinkle some grated cheezly (if you like cheezly) roll it up, cut into rounds and bake in the oven for 5 or so minutes until puffed up and golden.

(Someone from the forum gave me this recipe but I can't remember who )
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

After a 500m swim I've just had two slices of wholemeal granary toast with pure spread and plenty of generic marmite, with a cup of Alpro Chocolate Shake to wash it down. Mmmm.

Okay, so this morning I had toasted sourdough bread with margarine and marmite, and it was quite tasty. I had 3 pieces!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

fondducoeur, I like it with margarine on toasted bread...and then add tomato slices and a piece of lettuce. Yummy sandwich! I heard omnis like Marmite and cheese sandwiches, I might try it with vegan cheese slices.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I'm coming to the end of my first ever jar of Marmite . . . and am looking for a more ethical alternative. I think I'll give the Meridian one a go. It sounds nicer than Natex, which has been so appetisingly described as waxy.
    I haven't tried real marmite or meridian. I have Natex (which is good in soups and other savoury dishes as it is quite concentrated - I imagine it is pretty much like marmite) but I also like Essential - it is a softer texture and a more subtle taste, worth a try if you see it. I like both for different reasons and usually have a jar of each on the go.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    fondducoeur, I like it with margarine on toasted bread...and then add tomato slices and a piece of lettuce. Yummy sandwich! I heard omnis like Marmite and cheese sandwiches, I might try it with vegan cheese slices.
    I have been eating it on toast or bagels with margarine and it's very good, but I think adding tomato slices and lettuce would be quite delicious! And also easy as I am currently moving into a new apartment and don't have the ability to cook yet!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Default How do you like your Marmite/Vegemite/[insert brand of yeast extract]?

I usually have it on toast with margarine (and I guess the reason why I didn't like it much at the beginning was because I just tried it on its own and it has such a strong taste! But if you have just a bit of it on margarine it tastes like heaven ).
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 21st, 2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

I developed quite a liking for Natex spread on Oat Cakes recently.

mmm i have it on ryvita with sliced ripe banana!!

think i'll look for another brand other than marmite now though.

Is Marmite yeast extracts vegan in the UK? I heard it was a by-product of the beer industry. Is that true?
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

Default Re: Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

It took a while for me to understand the use of this thing, I have tried quite a lot of new things since I turned vegan. Now I'm hooked on Marmite! I tried Vegemite last time, it was allright but it had an after-taste of strong lager.

I love it on toast with some tomatoes on top Or to use it to give flavour in some foods instead of soy sauce.
    ---

I have no idea on the beer thing, but sounds plausible.

Thanks, Lara. I love Marmite (and I used to hate it). So I guess it's vegan then?
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

OMG, Marmite seems vegan. But it's owned by Unilever. Oh, no.

What are the alternative yeast extracts in the UK?

Quote maggielassie View Post
    OMG, Marmite seems vegan. But it's owned by Unilever. Oh, no.

What are the alternative yeast extracts in the UK?
    Yes - if you don't believe in buying products from companies that burn bunnies eyes out in LD50 tests then Marmite is not for you. I use the Meridian Yeast Extract or most supermarket own brands are pretty good too.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.